Good rotors, cheap- Mtbr.com
    Out spokin'

Good rotors, cheap

Building a new bike from scratch and thought I'd take a chance on these 203mm brake rotors at 2 for $21.98. Glad I did! They're actually Avid rotors -- complete with the laser etched Avid logo.

Just about whichever size rotors you want, options are offered:
    203mm = 2 for $21.98
    180mm = 2 for $16.98
    160mm = 2 for $12.65
    Well, not 200mm.

I installed the 203s front & rear yesterday, then headed for my local hill to do a few bed-in laps. They bedded right in. These are every bit as good as the older (pre-petal style) Avid 203mm rotors they replaced on my heavy 29er trail sled. I've used SRAM Centerline rotors as well -- which are excellent rotors -- and found these Avids to be every bit as good. Just did a Google search and found that a single SRAM 200mm 6-bolt Centerline rotor typically costs $52ish. That's right -- $52 for each rotor.

Then immediately ordered a second pair of the Avid 203s.
    =sParty

Good rotors, cheap-4d57f3bb-e35d-4df2-9cbc-675e5365bc9a.jpg
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    For that price, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually Chinese knock offs. Good deal if they work just fine though

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    For that price, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually Chinese knock offs. Good deal if they work just fine though
    I wouldn't be surprised, either. But the laser etched logo is pretty convincing (looks just like my other Avid rotors) and considering that Avid was swallowed by SRAM (which means these particular rotors aren't marketed anymore), I believe they're NOS.

In any case you're right -- it doesn't matter so long as they're functionally identical. As near as I can tell, they are.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    In the product image and yours (or do my eyes deceive me?), it looks like the surface is ground in only one direction. If that's the case, they're not legit Avid/SRAM. It doesn't mean they won't work fine, but they ARE knockoffs. If you get any uneven braking/pulsing due to uneven rotor thickness/surface imperfections, I'd send 'em back. If not, then score!

edit: a 5% coupon is showing up on the product page.

Out spokin'
    Good rotors, cheap-65915690-2dbe-441a-a01b-1e3dd09dfc92.jpg
    Both surfaces appear to be ground. I bought some el cheapo rotors once that were only ground on one side, they were junk.

New rotor:
    Good rotors, cheap-c1561bf2-444a-496c-a644-4e7157cc34ef.jpg

Old rotor:
    Good rotors, cheap-52fd7379-1913-46d0-84de-2764922f78e6.jpg

Keep in mind these are not the same model rotor. Avid changed designs several times throughout the years. The old rotor surface is so corroded that itís hard to see the laser etched logo. Regardless both logos appear similar enough and the new rotor of high enough quality that I remain convinced that the latest one is genuine NOS.

If my opinion changes as these get put to the test, Iíll update this thread.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'd definitely take the word of an experienced rider over SRAM's BS about "quality".

I do think you missed the key point in my assessment. I was talking about the direction/quality of the surface.

From another source:
    from AVID SUPPORT: Lots of counterfeit Avid HS1 and G3 rotors being sold on ebay by dishonest sellers, they are being advertised as authentic products with very very cheap price . the fake rotors has very blurry and bold texts. the surface finish has deep one way cuts, where the authentic rotors have nice thin text, surface is a lot nicer and smoother, fake rotors weight different from rotor to rotor could vary from 92-108 grams. real rotor all weight within 1-2 grams.
    Name:  original.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  falso.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  60.3 KB

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I do think you missed the key point in my assessment. I was talking about the direction/quality of the surface.
    Ah, gotcha. Based on what you posted, I suppose the odds of these rotors being counterfeit amount to just about a coin toss. The fact that the presentation on Amazon's site does not indicate these are genuine Avid rotors raises questions and gives additional credence to the possibility that they might be counterfeit. While I don't like to support anyone who counterfeits legit manufacturers, at this point, since these are in my possession, I'll keep 'em and move on.

Anyone considering buying these rotors should proceed in concert with their conscience.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'd still buy 'em if I hadn't stocked up during Art's final days (RIP).

mtbr member
    Jenson often has shimano rotors for about 10 bucks. Sometimes as low as 6, sometimes as high as 15, but they're usually around for a good deal. Sometimes XT's, sometimes not.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Ah, gotcha. Based on what you posted, I suppose the odds of these rotors being counterfeit amount to just about a coin toss.
    Yeah, Heads they're fakes, Tails they're not legit.

Regardless I've had fine luck with chinese rotors for years, and they have no trouble slowing my substantial ass down from speeds, though I really dont have any extended downhills around here.

Another option is the 2 piece floating rotor sold under the nail snail for 12-20 bucks each. Theyre supposedly manufactured by Brakeco and sold under various names, including Clarks, etc. I have about 1K miles on mine and theyve been flawless. That said, I did see one twisted up on an amazon review, but that may have been a clearance issue to one of the rivets, and not the rotor simply folding in half.