Ebay sucks! Laugh....- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ebay sucks! Laugh....

I have been wanting to try a 2005 Manitou Minute. One came up on Ebay. I big $300 freaking dollars. Welp! The bidding ended while I was at work. Some lucky dog got that new Minute for $325. I hate that. Oh, well, I love my Marzocchi Marathon S.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try sniping it next time

Do It Yourself

eBay works!

If you were willing to pay more than $300, you should have bid higher. If you bid your maximum, then you should have no regrets when someone is willing to pay more. Also, there are a lot of people on eBay so on popular items, it hard to get a deal unless the seller does a poor job of listing it or has negative feedback.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My eBay strategy

I'm a double novice: I'm building my first bike (my wife got me a Moots Smoothie frame), and I'm buying many of my components on eBay. I haven't used sniping or any of the automated programs yet, but I have come up with my own strategy for eBay. Since many people don't enter their real maximum bid (like the author of the post) until it's too late, I don't put in an early bid, which will just bid up the price early, and give people advance notice they have to increase their bid. If the timing works out, I wait 2 minutes or so before bidding ends, and then enter my max bid. Of course, if I'll be at work or unavailable, I will have to put in my max bid before that. I guess that's where sniping would come in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydj
    I'm a double novice: I'm building my first bike (my wife got me a Moots Smoothie frame), and I'm buying many of my components on eBay. I haven't used sniping or any of the automated programs yet, but I have come up with my own strategy for eBay. Since many people don't enter their real maximum bid (like the author of the post) until it's too late, I don't put in an early bid, which will just bid up the price early, and give people advance notice they have to increase their bid. If the timing works out, I wait 2 minutes or so before bidding ends, and then enter my max bid. Of course, if I'll be at work or unavailable, I will have to put in my max bid before that. I guess that's where sniping would come in.
    Yeah, that's sniping, actually.

Not to give away my secrets, but another strategic ebay move is to bid an odd amount--like $356.74. Since almost everyone bids in $5 or $10 increments, someone who might bid $355 on our hypoethical (sp?) item would still lose, but you would have broken your limit by only $1.74...a fair stretch in my opinion.

Trust me, it works. I just won an '04 iDrive by bidding $501.73 on it instead of $500. Someone else bid $500, and I won the auction by $1.73. The poor bastard's probably still kicking himself.

Now that I've given away one of my ebay secrets, you're welcome to use it...unless I'm bidding in the auction! ;-)

-jms

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydj
    ... If the timing works out, I wait 2 minutes or so before bidding ends, and then enter my max bid. Of course, if I'll be at work or unavailable, I will have to put in my max bid before that. I guess that's where sniping would come in.
    2 minutes?? that's an eternity. Open www.time.gov on one page, your bid on another ready to shoot it, and the actual bidding page in a separate 3rd window. Bid 15 or 20 seconds before end (with high speed internet)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just bought a 2005 minute 1 for 300+15 for shipping. The fork is new and in perfect working order. Got it from bikes4less2005 or something like that?? Compared to 550 plus shipping on pricepoint, i basically stole this fork

On MTBR hiatus :(
    www.AuctionSniper.com

That's what I've been using for a bit over a year now. Picked me up a nice dial indicator torque wrench for $35, some nice deals on miscelleneous bike parts, camera accessories and computer junk.

It'll place your bid with as few seconds remaining as you choose. The whole process takes place on their end, so your computer doesn't need to be on and your clock doesn't need to be right.

AuctionSniper allows you to set up "bid groups" of similar items so that it'll keep trying until a certain number of a particular type of item are won, then it will cease bidding on future items (you set it up, you choose which items to group, how many you want, and which auctions you're interested in).

The most difficult thing with this type of "service" is that you have to give them your ebay password, and I imagine a lot of folks have trouble letting go of that. But it's the only way they'll be able to put a bid in on your behalf. But it's easy enough to set up a second eBay account for sniping only (or bidding only) that you're not giving up any security by letting that password go.

banned
    Aug 2004
    I HATE sniping....grrrrr.

I wish that Ebay would move to a system that if someone bids within 30 seconds of the close then another 30 seconds is tacked on.

This would KILL sniping.

Do It Yourself

It's quite simple...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheeldTerror

I wish that Ebay would move to a system that if someone bids within 30 seconds of the close then another 30 seconds is tacked on.

This would KILL sniping.
    Any way you slice it, the auction goes to the highest bidder. Period. If you bid higher than the sniper, you still win. If you were willling to pay more, you should have bid higher.
    Long Live Long Rides

On MTBR hiatus :(

Why? Why do you hate sniping? As a seller? Or as a buyer?

As a SELLER I like sniping because <u>any</u> bid is a good bid. Snipers usually have a very clear idea of what an item is worth and how much they're willing to pay. If I get two snipers on one auction, I <u>know</u> I've gotten a fair price for my item because the two have blindly bid their max amounts.

On the other hand, if a bidder price war has taken the amount beyond a "reasonable" price, the snipers don't bid, but I win anyway.

As a BUYER, what can I say? If two or more hapless bidders get into a price war early on, I'm not interested. But if an early bidder puts in a unrealistically low maximum (failing to use the proxy system), I'll win my snipe and probably get it for below my max. The seller is happy, because his item went for more than it would have without me. If I didn't snipe, choosing to get in a bidding war instead, either I'd end up paying my max, or the other bidder would end up paying my max.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

This would KILL sniping.
    Like it or not it's the way it works. I couldn't buy anything at ebay until I figured it out. Also, once you become a seasoned sniper it is very FUN!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Its all Good

I've Sniped and been Sniped...

Speedüb Nate summed it up best.

If you find something that is a Smokin deal chances are someone else has their eye on it too. Your sitting there hoping that no one will out bid you. And someone else is guessing how much will be enough to out bid you...

Heck I can't complain I just scooped a set of Rudy Project sunglasses because the bid amount was getting close to the buy it now amount... Instead of playing fair and bidding I clicked Buy It Now... Theres some guy out there trying to figure out why the auction ended early

The worst though is when your connection gets a hickup and you miss the end of the auction! So I'm gonna check out that website!

mtbr member
    It's all fair with auctions. I've been an AuctionSniper user for some times and it's been known to experience troubles on one or two occassions. No such thing as a sure thing except bidding your REAL highest price!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You win some, you lose some. You can't win all the time (where's the fun in that!). Luck has almost everything to do with it. I've lost out on bids by a single dollar, but I've been on the other side where I managed to outbid the competition by a mere 50 cents. But I manage my expectations as much as I manage my budget. I never bid early so as to allow others to react to my bid. I'm disciplined about my budget, and most importantly, I don't have my heart set on the item 'cause if I do, I know I'm going to lose it and feel crushed. Instead I go into with a mindset of "here's a bit of disposable cash I have to spend on this item, and if I get it, I get it, if I don't, I don't, no big loss." You know that what you want is almost never the last time you're ever going to see it and another one will come along in a couple of days.

Helps keep me from tearing my hair out at lost auctions, and also keeps me pleasantly surprised if I do win.

rob
    slakDawg

Patience

Yep, patience is key with Ebay. It took me 3 months to finally win an auction for a NR Storm for the price I was willing to pay. It paid off, cause I got a brand new 04 Storm for $225.

mtbr dismembered

This would KILL sniping.
    Yahoo Japan Auction has that features...when you bid the last second, the deadline would extend to 5 more minutes. Didnt realized it when I was lock in bidding duel with another guy, bidding down on the last 10 seconds.

Now I just bid on how much I'm willing to pay...no more late night sniping, most of the sellers here close their bidding around 11~12 in the evening