mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Deals in canada?

I'm interested in buying a frame (or maybe a whole bike) from canada and having it shipped to the US, to take advantage of the .81 exchange rate right now. Any catches to doing this? I've read that in shipping to canada you pay a brokerage fee of a percent of the value of whatever it is you're shipping. But I can't find anything on whether there's something similar in shipping canada-to-us... TIA.

Riding or Fishing
    Living in Canada, I can tell you that I wouldn't think that you would save anything honestly.
    When I look at prices on items from Jenson, or even Chain Reaction UK, then comparing them to the shops in my area, I'm amazed at how much more they cost here.
    Yeah, some things are in line, such as tires, but more often than not I can get the same item much cheaper if I get it from the states, or the UK.
    I personally don't think I would do it, unless it's something that you just cannot get down there.
    Just something to think about!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 w/ what Musky said.

I live in southern BC and I am fortunate enough to live 50 miles from my PO Box in Washingon where I have all of my bike parts sent. I like patronizing the locals but only to a point. Having said that, the only way I could see it happening is if you had in mind a Canadian manufactured bike like a Devinici or Rocky but again, I doubt it would be worth it and usually the warranty won't follow you across the border. At least that's the case going south to north. If you find out otherwise, let us know.
    Last edited by aroundoz; 11-27-2008 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was actually thinking knolly, which is made up there. Maybe I can get a deal on the frame if not on the components... if I find out more I'll post.

Members who have read this thread: 0