colorado cyclist $5,000 mistake- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Upset colorado cyclist $5,000 mistake

I will tell you my saga of trying to purchase a $5,000 bike thru Colorado cyclist. In the first week of April 2004 I ordered a Litespeed Niota ti w/ xt disc from Colorado cyclist. I was told they were missing a part and that they would have the part on Thursday the 15th, they built the bike and shipped it Monday the 19th. I received the bike at work Friday the 23rd in the afternoon at my work. I was giddy as a kid at Christmas.
    I opened the box and started pulling out parts. When I got to the frame I should have stopped and put it right back in and sent it back. The rear derailleur cable housing was spilt and cracked. Not an earth shattering problem but enough to piss you off when you spend $5,000 on a bike. I contacted Colorado cyclist and arranged for them to send me a cable and housing. I went home and put the bike together. I was determined to ride the bike despite not being able to shift it. I mounted the seat on the seat post and then went to put it on the bike. To my disbelief the seat post fell into the frame. They had sent a 27.2mm seat post to fill a 31.6mm hole! I was furious. I contacted customer service yet again for the second time that day. She determined that yes they had sent the wrong seat post. They wanted me to send back the seat post before they would ship the right one out. I was livid! I informed them in a very Kurt manner that they would be shipping it to me next day air. On both occasions the customer service rep was not apologetic. I waited Saturday and it didn’t arrive. I waited Monday and it didn’t arrive. I had my partner call them because she is diplomatic and I was too pissed of to deal with them. Apparently they didn’t bother shipping it out till Monday. I received my parts 3 days late on Tuesday the 27th of April. Yet again I was pissed off when I opened the container, not only had they billed me for the seat post and shipping, but the cable housing they sent was not the .160 dia. Shimano sis housing but a cheap universal .190 dia. Housing that doesn’t bend as nice as the shimano stuff. I then spent my valuable time fixing a brand new $5,000 bike.
    I rode the bike and was amazed with it, but I was a little unnerved by a noise coming from the front derailleur. I was unable to ride the bike for a week. On my second ride the noise was more pronounced. I got off the bike and inspected it thoroughly but couldn’t find anything wrong. I then started riding again and immediately found the problem. I suspected the Colorado cyclist put the wrong derailleur on the bike because when the suspension cycled up and down the swing arm rubbed against the shift cable. I went home and photographed the problem and sent an email to litespeed and asked for there comment. Litespeed verified that Colorado cyclist had put the wrong style of derailleur on the bike. I was livid yet again. I spent $5,000 on a @%$#&*@ bicycle and I have all this crap wrong with it in build errors.
    I had my partner contact them, as I didn’t want to scream in some girl’s ear when she wasn’t the brain dead moron who assembled the bike. This was on Thursday the 6th of May. She contacted them and went right to the customer service manager. After she explained the problems and voiced my extreme displeasure in the amount of problems I was having, I had to call her and tell her how I wanted the problem resolved. I told the customer service manager that I wanted the proper derailleur, the proper shimano sis housing, new cables sent next day air and that I wanted a substantial fanatical compensation for my labor to fix a brand new $5,000 bike and for the aggravation of it all. She called me back 3 hours later to inform me that that items were being shipped out next day air and that they were going to give me a whole $50 dollar credit for replacing the derailleur and the cables. My local bike shop gets $25 (labor) to replace and adjust a derailleur and $10 each (labor) to replace a cable. So I guess they were giving me $5 as an apology for screwing up a $5,000 bike. I case your bad at math that is a whole 0.1% discount. Wow! I could hardly contain my joy! I was thinking more like $500 or a 10% discount. I waited all day Friday for my next day air package to arrive. I so wanted to ride my new bike on the weekend. It never arrived nor did it arrive on Saturday. It arrived on Monday. I was yet again so pissed off, I had my partner contact them yet again and this time she got the vice president of sales. He offered only lame excuses and a very insincere apology. His poor attitude was the final straw. I shipped the bike back on Wednesday may 12th. I now have to look for a new dealer to buy a Litespeed thru. When I screw up at work I apologize and I feel bad about it. I always try to do my best. When I spend more on a bicycle than I did on the car I drive, I expect it to be perfect. If it is not than I expect the dealer to rectify the situation immediately and completely. Colorado cyclist hasn' got a clue.

ftp

Jan 2004
    Wow-that is some bad service-I would go through a local litespeed dealer-Any decent shop would be happy to do a $5,000 sale and would do what ever they could do make sure that your bike was set up right-

Coors, the american beer.
    so you shipped the entire bike back? I have to give you props for dealing with all their nonsense for as long as you did.

Now hopefully you can get what you want and get it done right the first time and focus on whats importat ... the ride.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member

I have only one question.....

...how much was the bike?
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I dunno, but I think that perhaps Mr. 2 post Flintstone is expecting to much. Colorado Cyclist has a very good reputation at handling problems promptly and correctly. Expecting to get parts the next day may be expecting to much for any retailer with a large inventory and number of orders. When you order mail order you are usually giving up the ability to have instant service in exchange for better prices. It sounds like you are looking for a full service LBS, rather than a mail order shop. Finally, did you do any research before plunking down all that money on bike that is arguably very overpriced. For the same money you could have a very nice Seven, Dean, Custom Titus TI, Turner, Santa Cruz, etc, all of which are probably better bikes.

"Mr. Britannica"

when sending something back

always contact them and tell them to send a call tag... that way THEY pay for return shipping. No reason you should have to, esp a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think the bike was $5000.00

I'm not sure but I think that the bike was $5000.00. I've has great luck with CC. Although I have not bought a $5000.00 bike from them. I've gotten a entire XT gruppo, but that would not go on a $5000.00 bike. I've bought tires from them, but they did not cost $5000.00. I just got some Stans sealent, that was only $54.00. They shipped it out the next day.

It looks to me that CC took pretty good care of you. Yes they did make mistakes on some of the parts, but when you call up and be "kurt" and demand next day air on the shipping why should they do that?. They did rectify all of the problems, and they did it fairly quickly. You forgot to mention what time of day your partner "sounds gay to me, not that there is anything wrong with that" called. If you called them late in the day they could not get the parts shipped out same day, but the next day which seems to be the case.

Sounds to me that you should build up your own $5000.00 bike becasue you are so anal nobody else will do it right. Too bad you rode it, and are now sending a used bike back to CC, I bet that will knock $2000.00 off of a $5000.00 bike. If I were CC I would tell you to go pound sand becasue you rode the bike. If you have $5000.00 to spend why are you trying to save a buck through mail order? Many shops will be happy to take $5000.00 for that bike.

Good luck know, I hope you got an RA# or something before you returned the used $5000.00 bike.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanute
    I'm not sure but I think that the bike was $5000.00. I've has great luck with CC. Although I have not bought a $5000.00 bike from them. I've gotten a entire XT gruppo, but that would not go on a $5000.00 bike. I've bought tires from them, but they did not cost $5000.00. I just got some Stans sealent, that was only $54.00. They shipped it out the next day.

It looks to me that CC took pretty good care of you. Yes they did make mistakes on some of the parts, but when you call up and be "kurt" and demand next day air on the shipping why should they do that?. They did rectify all of the problems, and they did it fairly quickly. You forgot to mention what time of day your partner "sounds gay to me, not that there is anything wrong with that" called. If you called them late in the day they could not get the parts shipped out same day, but the next day which seems to be the case.

Sounds to me that you should build up your own $5000.00 bike becasue you are so anal nobody else will do it right. Too bad you rode it, and are now sending a used bike back to CC, I bet that will knock $2000.00 off of a $5000.00 bike. If I were CC I would tell you to go pound sand becasue you rode the bike. If you have $5000.00 to spend why are you trying to save a buck through mail order? Many shops will be happy to take $5000.00 for that bike.

Good luck know, I hope you got an RA# or something before you returned the used $5000.00 bike.
    Uh, $5000 is a lot of money for a bicycle. It's really <I>not too much to expect</I> for it to have the correct parts when delivered. Heck I've seen $500 bicycles that have accomplished this quite well.What shop do you work at? I would like to avoid the typical hippy-shittay bike shop attitude that you display.

Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Uh, $5000 is a lot of money for a bicycle. It's really <I>not too much to expect</I> for it to have the correct parts when delivered. Heck I've seen $500 bicycles that have accomplished this quite well.What shop do you work at? I would like to avoid the typical hippy-shittay bike shop attitude that you display.
    :werd: thats a lot of money to spend and not get the right ****.

Mar 2004

When Spending 5K Go to LBS!

Ok Freddy I feel your pain but I would have to say you brought it on yourself. If you go in and spend Five Grand at your local Bike shop you will most likely have great service for the rest of your life. Why do you throw money like that at people you have never met? Litespeeds aren't that cool or rare to have to go find one through a mail order shop. If you really needed the frame you should have bought that and worked something out with your local shop to build it up. You could have had them hand pick every part and really know what was going into your dream bike. Five Grand? Mail order? That is plain dumb. I'm not bagging on CC because you brought it on yourself. Think of all the riding time you would have had when you wheeled that freshly built wonderbike into the shop that built it and had them fix your rinky dink problems on the spot. Now everytime the shop sees the bike they are going to charge you full rate for everything and will be bummed that they missed a 5K sale.

Silly Fred.

mtbr member
    Wow, was that bike 5,000 dollars, didn't quite get that in your post?

jrm
    mtbr member

Wrong parts, bad customer service...

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I dunno, but I think that perhaps Mr. 2 post Flintstone is expecting to much. Colorado Cyclist has a very good reputation at handling problems promptly and correctly. Expecting to get parts the next day may be expecting to much for any retailer with a large inventory and number of orders. When you order mail order you are usually giving up the ability to have instant service in exchange for better prices. It sounds like you are looking for a full service LBS, rather than a mail order shop. Finally, did you do any research before plunking down all that money on bike that is arguably very overpriced. For the same money you could have a very nice Seven, Dean, Custom Titus TI, Turner, Santa Cruz, etc, all of which are probably better bikes.
    For that amount of coin i'd be pissed too.

Linoleum Knife

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by fredrick flintstone
    I case your bad at math that is a whole 0.1% discount. Wow! I could hardly contain my joy! I was thinking more like $500 or a 10% discount. I waited all day Friday for my next day air package to arrive.
    In case you are bad at math, $50 is 1%, not .1%.

A $5000 mistake would have been them sending you an Orbea Orca or Starship instead of your $3k bike. As it is, you are out the cost of return shipping ($50), but you got to demo the bike for a day ($70 in Moab) so you really came out $20 ahead.

And since you have 2 posts, all we can do is assume you signed up here specifically to slander one of the best (but not cheapest) online retailers out there.
    Last edited by forkboy; 06-02-2004 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Troll

Do It Yourself
    He got the Ti version which is $3500 frame only. Ridiculous but that's what they charge...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...772&TextMode=0

$1500 for a build kit, fork and wheels to make $5k.

I would see this as an opportunity to get a better bike for less money. Look at Titus, Turner, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Ventana and other top brands with much better suspension designs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

holy #$%-ing #$*@!!!

$5000 for a bicycle? for the love of god, man! by mail order? my head hurts at the thought.

first, it sucks entirely the way you were treated. do you need to have a litespeed dealer (that stocks the bikes) to buy one? alot of small mfrs will sell in 1's and 2's to any dealer on special order, unless they have a real dealer nearby. it's possible your lbs could get that bike. might still have minor problems, but they can be fixed while you wait.

on the other hand, $5k is more than i spent for my last full suspension bike (pictured below), but i had to drive to dealer to pick it up myself. nonetheless, i daresay the level of sophistication of the suspension is superior.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Ouch, I am hot!

My Partner

I never send my "partner" to do my dirty work. I think this is a bigger problem than the issue with CC.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    He got the Ti version which is $3500 frame only. Ridiculous but that's what they charge...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...772&TextMode=0

$1500 for a build kit, fork and wheels to make $5k.

I would see this as an opportunity to get a better bike for less money. Look at Titus, Turner, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Ventana and other top brands with much better suspension designs.

Holy Shiz Nat.
    Well, I take that part back, but the rest stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I never send my "partner" to do my dirty work. I think this is a bigger problem than the issue with CC.
    why not ... im sure secrataries dont have **** to do ALL the time so you might as well have em do something.

Jan 2004

WAY overpriced

Colorado Cyclist is WAY overpriced.

for that kind of cash, you coulda gotten a much better deal at a LBS, and/or a really decent internet retailer like Speedgoat.

I feel for ya. I believe ya.

I'm not gonna shop at CC anytime soon, if ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I feel for you.
    I understand why you had your partner try to resolve it; hot heads never win.
    $5,000: I'd buy elsewhere than Colorado Cyclist. If no lbs wants to give you a good deal, buy from Speedgoat.
    In fact, just go to Speedgoat... and don't get a Niota. Too much money for what you're getting, even the alum version. Sorry to say, but in the end it's your money and your dream ride.

banned
    Apr 2004

So did you get your money back?

I will tell you my saga of trying to purchase a $5,000 bike thru Colorado cyclist. In the first week of April 2004 I ordered a Litespeed Niota ti w/ xt disc from Colorado cyclist. I was told they were missing a part and that they would have the part on Thursday the 15th, they built the bike and shipped it Monday the 19th. I received the bike at work Friday the 23rd in the afternoon at my work. I was giddy as a kid at Christmas.
    I opened the box and started pulling out parts. When I got to the frame I should have stopped and put it right back in and sent it back. The rear derailleur cable housing was spilt and cracked. Not an earth shattering problem but enough to piss you off when you spend $5,000 on a bike. I contacted Colorado cyclist and arranged for them to send me a cable and housing. I went home and put the bike together. I was determined to ride the bike despite not being able to shift it. I mounted the seat on the seat post and then went to put it on the bike. To my disbelief the seat post fell into the frame. They had sent a 27.2mm seat post to fill a 31.6mm hole! I was furious. I contacted customer service yet again for the second time that day. She determined that yes they had sent the wrong seat post. They wanted me to send back the seat post before they would ship the right one out. I was livid! I informed them in a very Kurt manner that they would be shipping it to me next day air. On both occasions the customer service rep was not apologetic. I waited Saturday and it didn’t arrive. I waited Monday and it didn’t arrive. I had my partner call them because she is diplomatic and I was too pissed of to deal with them. Apparently they didn’t bother shipping it out till Monday. I received my parts 3 days late on Tuesday the 27th of April. Yet again I was pissed off when I opened the container, not only had they billed me for the seat post and shipping, but the cable housing they sent was not the .160 dia. Shimano sis housing but a cheap universal .190 dia. Housing that doesn’t bend as nice as the shimano stuff. I then spent my valuable time fixing a brand new $5,000 bike.
    I rode the bike and was amazed with it, but I was a little unnerved by a noise coming from the front derailleur. I was unable to ride the bike for a week. On my second ride the noise was more pronounced. I got off the bike and inspected it thoroughly but couldn’t find anything wrong. I then started riding again and immediately found the problem. I suspected the Colorado cyclist put the wrong derailleur on the bike because when the suspension cycled up and down the swing arm rubbed against the shift cable. I went home and photographed the problem and sent an email to litespeed and asked for there comment. Litespeed verified that Colorado cyclist had put the wrong style of derailleur on the bike. I was livid yet again. I spent $5,000 on a @%$#&*@ bicycle and I have all this crap wrong with it in build errors.
    I had my partner contact them, as I didn’t want to scream in some girl’s ear when she wasn’t the brain dead moron who assembled the bike. This was on Thursday the 6th of May. She contacted them and went right to the customer service manager. After she explained the problems and voiced my extreme displeasure in the amount of problems I was having, I had to call her and tell her how I wanted the problem resolved. I told the customer service manager that I wanted the proper derailleur, the proper shimano sis housing, new cables sent next day air and that I wanted a substantial fanatical compensation for my labor to fix a brand new $5,000 bike and for the aggravation of it all. She called me back 3 hours later to inform me that that items were being shipped out next day air and that they were going to give me a whole $50 dollar credit for replacing the derailleur and the cables. My local bike shop gets $25 (labor) to replace and adjust a derailleur and $10 each (labor) to replace a cable. So I guess they were giving me $5 as an apology for screwing up a $5,000 bike. I case your bad at math that is a whole 0.1% discount. Wow! I could hardly contain my joy! I was thinking more like $500 or a 10% discount. I waited all day Friday for my next day air package to arrive. I so wanted to ride my new bike on the weekend. It never arrived nor did it arrive on Saturday. It arrived on Monday. I was yet again so pissed off, I had my partner contact them yet again and this time she got the vice president of sales. He offered only lame excuses and a very insincere apology. His poor attitude was the final straw. I shipped the bike back on Wednesday may 12th. I now have to look for a new dealer to buy a Litespeed thru. When I screw up at work I apologize and I feel bad about it. I always try to do my best. When I spend more on a bicycle than I did on the car I drive, I expect it to be perfect. If it is not than I expect the dealer to rectify the situation immediately and completely. Colorado cyclist hasn' got a clue.
    5gs is a lot to pay for a bike in advance, I would not give anyone that kind of money unless I could touch, feel and smell it first, did you get all your money back?

Feb 2004

I disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Walt
    Colorado Cyclist is WAY overpriced.

for that kind of cash, you coulda gotten a much better deal at a LBS, and/or a really decent internet retailer like Speedgoat.

I feel for ya. I believe ya.

I'm not gonna shop at CC anytime soon, if ever.
    For most items, they seem to be right at MSRP, which isnt a great deal, but certainly not overpriced (like many LBS)..

CC generally only carries high-end stuff. You wont see very many closeout RST forks or Kore pedals (typical Nashbar items) but if you want to find Assos etc., theyre a good source.

Also selling Duke Races for $299, thats a very good deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Same Story - Different Altitude

I had the same type of issues when I bought a build kit from BikeSource com.

First the order wasn't shipped at all because they were waiting for a hub on the wheelset despite me asking and including in the notes on the order for them to call if there was anything missing so I could upgrade and get riding. After a week and no build kit I called, they apologized, upgraded the wheelset for free and sent it 2-day.

So I start building and sure enough, no cables, thats weird, I though they said everything you need to build a bike but the frame and fork. The fork is another didn't have, would you take this year's more expensive model for the same price deal.

Called again, they apologized, sent it two day (really three because it takes a day to pull). And after installing the cables and not being able to get the rear shifting to work I read the box the BB came in, sure enough, wrong size.

Another round of how about an upgrade, send in the now used one and we'll call it even. I knew my credit card would be charged because until they get it back I would have two BBs and it made sense to me that they would just credit once they got the return. I was the one that suggested how about you send it to me and credit when you get the return.

It took 2 and a half weeks, I ended up with an upgraded wheel set, fork, BB, headset, and stem. Why, because I called with a friendly attitude, had realistic expectations, knew that no matter how hard you try and follow their rules, something is going to get messed up every now and then, and I actually ended up joking with poor guy in customer service who got to speak with me every other day on the phone. I went mail order to save money, what was I to expect, the same service a LBS would give, please.

You spent 5k with them, like that matters to the poor shlep that is making $10 an hour wrenching it together or the customer service rep who is getting $8 an hour to listen to you complain. They aren't going to see it, they don't care. A LBS would.

Flys with Honey

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    he was referring to $5, as $45 of that was for repairs, 5 was bonus...just clarifying his logic, not supporting it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That was crappy that you were treated that way. For big things like that, I'd buy from an LBS.

However, Speedgoat has been REALLY good to me too. Once, I ordered a set of disk brakes. Their computer ordering system messed up though. They sent me a front brake with the wrong mount, and they didn't send me a rear brake.

I called them up, and they treated me well. They overnighted me the correct front brake and the missing rear brake (even though my original order wasn't overnighted), AND they paid for return shipping for the incorrect front brake.

I love Speedgoat. They rock. When I buy stuff over the internet, I almost always buy it from them.

Jan 2004

I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by World B. Free
    For most items, they seem to be right at MSRP, which isnt a great deal, but certainly not overpriced (like many LBS)..

CC generally only carries high-end stuff. You wont see very many closeout RST forks or Kore pedals (typical Nashbar items) but if you want to find Assos etc., theyre a good source.

Also selling Duke Races for $299, thats a very good deal.
    I'm not saying you are wrong ... but this is how I (my personal opinion) think of it ... I don't go to the internet and "expect" MSRP ... to me, MSRP is the over priced starting point at which things "start" ... if the item is in demand, and supply is limited, then expect MSRP, but if it is internet ... WHY (again, soley my opinion) do I want to pay MSRP which is what I could pay at many shops. OK, you are right, some shops mark up MSRP, but none that I go to.

CC certainly does carry high end stuff. I bought a Duke Race a year or so ago, on blowout for less than $200 I think. Not from CC of course. I've never seen their blowouts come even close to others. I think I've bought from them only once or twice, and only items that were hard to find elsewhere for me ... one was a Campy computer, that a friend of mine really wanted as a gift.

I'm always stunned at their catalog prices, Dirt Boy has sold me high end stuff for far less than CC does it. He is pretty much a one man show, and he does far better than they do with their potential economies of scale.

In fact, two quality smaller internet based companies; are Speedgoat (Beth and Chris) and Dirt Boy (Giovanni). They are both great!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Simple. Contact Ventanarama (http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com).

Larry has really good prices, service, etc, etc. not sure he carres Litespeed...but for that price, I'd get a Sycip.

President, CEO of Earth
    I will tell you my saga of trying to purchase a $5,000 bike thru Colorado cyclist. ... snip ... Not an earth shattering problem but enough to piss you off when you spend $5,000 on a bike. ...snip... I then spent my valuable time fixing a brand new $5,000 bike. ... snip ... I spent $5,000 on a @%$#&*@ bicycle and I have all this crap wrong with it in build errors.
    ... snip... brand new $5,000 bike and for the aggravation of it all .... snip ... screwing up a $5,000 bike....snip...

I'm confused. How much did you spend on it again?

It occurs to me that colorado Cyclist probably didn't give you your money back as an apology, but to get rid of you. You said you were "furious" when you realized that the seatpost was the wrong size? Well, that doesn't seem like a good reason to get so upset. If you're gonna flip out over a minor oversight (obviously there were quite few other problems here, but you didn't realize it at that point), then to hell with you. If I owned a bike shop and some a-hole came in screaming about a minor, easily fixable oversight, then to hell with him. I've got too little time and too many other customers to waste my time on some jerk who clearly bought a bike as a status symbol and demands to be treated with better service then anyone else.

Just wondering - how many times did you remind the order taker at CC that you were spending $5000?

And if the $5000 is such a big deal to you, maybe you should get a slightly cheaper bike. But noooooo... you had to order something from out of town to show off. You're too good for the local bike shop! They only carry - oh horror of horrors - sub-$2000 bikes! I'm sure they couldn't have ordered anything a little more prestigious from any company they deal with. Probably for the best anyway - while you're screaming at some schmo on the phone about cable quality, the LBS is dealing with local customers who appreciate their efforts.

Also, does it strike anyone else as a little hypocritical that he's so bent on helping the "national economy" by buying American, but he cant be bothered to help his local economy by sharing a little of his obviously enormous wealth with the LBS. Don't you think the owner of your local shop has mortgage payments and kids to put through college? Or maybe a summer student or two that he can keep for a few extra hours a week because you fought the urge to show off with some exotic bike that can't be bought at the LBS.

Or maybe your LBS has already had a taste of your particular expectation of service and didn't want to deal with you.

But I may be wrong. It's happened before.
    Last edited by TobyNobody; 06-09-2004 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshies
    I love Speedgoat. They rock. When I buy stuff over the internet, I almost always buy it from them.
    Agreed -- Speedgoat has been great to me. I got a Kona frame from them (only place I could find it in my size) and a bottom bracket -- they faced the bottom bracket shell, head tube and disc brake mounts, and installed the bb for free. This is better prep on a $350 frame than I got on my $1400 IF frame from the LBS...

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moishe
    Agreed -- Speedgoat has been great to me. I got a Kona frame from them (only place I could find it in my size) and a bottom bracket -- they faced the bottom bracket shell, head tube and disc brake mounts, and installed the bb for free. This is better prep on a $350 frame than I got on my $1400 IF frame from the LBS...
    i just went to 2 different lbs today, both "carry" litespeed the first one tried to talk me into an intense 5.5 sweet bike but the standover clearance was a full inch higher than the niota, and they wanted 6k for the bike with full xtr.
    i went to the other lbs litespeed dealer and asked the salesperson if they had a niota in stock. "whats that" was his reply, i said "its a litespeed, you are a litespeed dealer arent you?" im curently considering a tutus custon ti racer x made to my specifcations, i havent dealt with anyone at speedgoat yet but i have been to there website. eric at titus was very helpfull however.
    people make guesses about my my motives for buying a bike, out of all the slams on myself, some intelegent people have actualy provided me with some valuable information. thank to all who give honest sincere advice.
    i slamed cc because they delivered a non funtional bike, a $68 huffy at walmart doesnt have cable routing that does this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fredrick flintstone; 06-18-2004 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    that pix speaks volumes about cc's wrench and bike assembly/spec skills. pathetic.

Jun 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    that pix speaks volumes about cc's wrench and bike assembly/spec skills. pathetic.
    if i knew i could have uploaded a picture i would have done it with my first posting, i think i wouldn't get as many people attacking me. that was the worst of may mistakes they made on the bike. if they would have just given me a sincere appology it would have went a long way to fix the problem. the cc vice presedent's aditude was (im paraphrazing here) " **** happens" .

i drove an hour to ann arbor today to ride a kline, and to talk to a delear about a seven. i'm not so keen on that rear suspenion design. i thought the niota was a grat bike but now im more confused than ever. thank for your empathy

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is absolutely ridiculous.....

Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    $5000 for a bicycle? for the love of god, man! by mail order? my head hurts at the thought.

first, it sucks entirely the way you were treated. do you need to have a litespeed dealer (that stocks the bikes) to buy one? alot of small mfrs will sell in 1's and 2's to any dealer on special order, unless they have a real dealer nearby. it's possible your lbs could get that bike. might still have minor problems, but they can be fixed while you wait.

on the other hand, $5k is more than i spent for my last full suspension bike (pictured below), but i had to drive to dealer to pick it up myself. nonetheless, i daresay the level of sophistication of the suspension is superior.
    Especially when a guy can buy a flipping motorcycle for that amount of dough. A KTM no less. Yummy.

How do it happen? I have 3k into my Turner. Ouch! However, I can say I get that much enjoyment out of it.

Too bad about that Litespeed. I hope the guy makes good money and paid cash. Going in debt for a bicycle is unfortunate.

Jaybo

player hater
    I, too, had a TERRIBLE experience with CC customer service.

I usually buy from the LBS, but CC had a killer deal on some carbon road frames that I'd been eyeing so I ordered one. Long story short...I understand that sometimes problems arise, but it was the extreme lack of care or concern of their cust serv reps that required WAY more attention on my part than should've been needed. Afterall, it was their mistakes (one after the other), not mine. They just didn't give a $hit, and if they did, it was not apparent to me.

Jun 2004

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by VoltesV
    I, too, had a TERRIBLE experience with CC customer service.

I usually buy from the LBS, but CC had a killer deal on some carbon road frames that I'd been eyeing so I ordered one. Long story short...I understand that sometimes problems arise, but it was the extreme lack of care or concern of their cust serv reps that required WAY more attention on my part than should've been needed. Afterall, it was their mistakes (one after the other), not mine. They just didn't give a $hit, and if they did, it was not apparent to me.

it was there aditude not the problems that was the last straw, and why i sent the bike back.
    even if you buy a $68 bike at walmart you get a proper derailure and cable routing. if you decided you didnt like the bike and returned it, you would most likely get a better aditude at walmart than at cc.like my girlfreind said "you got kmart customer sevice on a ____(insert your favorite luxury product) item. the whole deal cost them shiping expences and man hours lost. and i still cant seem to unsubscribe to ther email specials... like im ever going to give them my money again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    it was there aditude not the problems that was the last straw, and why i sent the bike back.
    even if you buy a $68 bike at walmart you get a proper derailure and cable routing. if you decided you didnt like the bike and returned it, you would most likely get a better aditude at walmart than at cc.like my girlfreind said "you got kmart customer sevice on a ____(insert your favorite luxury product) item. the whole deal cost them shiping expences and man hours lost. and i still cant seem to unsubscribe to ther email specials... like im ever going to give them my money again.
    If you sell high-end bikes, you should have high-end mechanics to put it together...somebody who *knows* how to put that high-end thingy together correctly. No excuses here.
    However, hats off to Colorado Cylist for atoning to their mistakes by refunding your money.
    _________
    older guy

Apr 2004

Dirt Boy??

A few posts up was mentioned DIRT BOY? I have heard of speedgoat.
    Whats the url for dirtboy??

mtbr member
    if i knew i could have uploaded a picture i would have done it with my first posting, i think i wouldn't get as many people attacking me. that was the worst of may mistakes they made on the bike. if they would have just given me a sincere appology it would have went a long way to fix the problem. the cc vice presedent's aditude was (im paraphrazing here) " **** happens" .

i drove an hour to ann arbor today to ride a kline, and to talk to a delear about a seven. i'm not so keen on that rear suspenion design. i thought the niota was a grat bike but now im more confused than ever. thank for your empathy
    check this out. in 98 i "applied" for a job at cc. they were like total chumps. i had just as much bike knowledge, and as much or more skill than anyone there bike riding wise. yet they acted like i was not worthy. they still have total hack riders working there and thats why your bike was assembled by goons. they have no competent people. i knew that six years ago and you found that out the hard way.

ckeck out larry mettler's shop in loveland, colo. he specializes in high end xc fs bikes and he rides and knows his stuff. i think its mtn high cyclery or something like that. he does mail order and has a website.
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by divesdeep
    A few posts up was mentioned DIRT BOY? I have heard of speedgoat.
    Whats the url for dirtboy??
    http://www.sales.light-bikes.com/

Apr 2004

10-4

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    Thanks

Pull my finger
    What is "fanatical compensation", and who is Kurt?

Old School Member
    Don't forget Charles at Hammerhead- nice guy with lots of knowledge.

Larry has a stellar rep too- going back years.

Jun 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Tolkien
    What is "fanatical compensation", and who is Kurt?
    Out of a 1,000 word (approx.) post you managed to find 2 spelling errors, kudos to you. The proper spelling is FINACIAL (=$$$$) and CURT (brief, rude). I hope this helps you. An auto spell check on this website would help alot of people.

Linoleum Knife

Moots

Hey dude - I know I bagged on you earlier, but you seem to have gotten most of the angst out of your system...

SO - I'm gonna make a suggestion.

MOOTS.

I toured their factory this past week. They are a bunch of stand up guys with an excellent 100% made in america product that rocks the freakin socks off of any Litespeed hunkajunk you could possibly buy.

If you are going to spend big, look into a Moots. Only available from dealerships, so you might have to bite a bullet and talk to a human.

Pull my finger
    Out of a 1,000 word (approx.) post you managed to find 2 spelling errors, kudos to you. The proper spelling is FINACIAL (=$$$$) and CURT (brief, rude). I hope this helps you. An auto spell check on this website would help alot of people.
    That wasn't a spelling error, you capitalized Kurt, like it was a guy's name. Classic.

What is "FINACIAL"?

You're not going to get your partner to yell at me now, are you?

President, CEO of Earth

Leave the poor guy alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Tolkien
    That wasn't a spelling error, you capitalized Kurt, like it was a guy's name. Classic.

What is "FINACIAL"?

You're not going to get your partner to yell at me now, are you?
    Don't taunt him. He's too busy making up reasons why mail-ordering is so much better than his local shop. And he can't be bothered to respond to your rudeness when there is so much pretentious showing off to do!

Jun 2004

Smile thanks

Hey dude - I know I bagged on you earlier, but you seem to have gotten most of the angst out of your system...

SO - I'm gonna make a suggestion.

MOOTS.

I toured their factory this past week. They are a bunch of stand up guys with an excellent 100% made in america product that rocks the freakin socks off of any Litespeed hunkajunk you could possibly buy.

If you are going to spend big, look into a Moots. Only available from dealerships, so you might have to bite a bullet and talk to a human.
    Thanks for your suggestion of moots cycles. I have seen them on the trail, their owners are happy with them. They appear to be well made hard tail and “soft tail” Ti bikes. Unfortunately they do not make a 4”-5” travel trail bike. There are a few USA manufactures that make custom titanium bikes with 3.5 “ - 4” of travel. Today I am going to a lbs to look at an Intense 5.5 that they have borrowed from a customer.
    A lot of people are slamming Litespeed. Litespeed has been welding titanium for over 20 years. I did own the Niota for about 2 weeks. As an engineer I was in awe of the craftsmanship of the bike. It was very evident that not only was the asymmetrical swing arm, but the frame and both linkages have went through extensive FEA (finite element analysis) and FMEA (failure mode effect analysis) testing. The bike is a rideable work of art (as are many others). It is still currently my # 3 choice. I would tell people to go look at one, but in my area there are no lbs that stock one (at $5,060 to $6,805 msrp they are not “affordable”).

Jun 2004

Smile misconceptions

[QUOTE=TobyNobody]Don't taunt him. He's too busy making up reasons why mail-ordering is so much better than his local shop. And he can't be bothered to respond to your rudeness when there is so much pretentious showing off to do![/QUOTE

Hi Toby, I'm sorry but you seem to have several misconceptions about me. I am not pretentious, I do however spend money differently then most people. I spent more on the bike than I did on the car I drive. I live in an 800 sf. house. I don’t have cable, a big screen TV, or a cell phone. I don’t eat out. I save my money; I buy a few really, really ridiculously nice things. When I buy, I try to buy what I feel is the best of something and enjoy it to the fullest. Careful management of money and spending it on people and things you enjoy is not “pretentious”. Buying a $5k bike and not riding it, or flaunting it to someone riding an average bike would be.
    In one of your earlier rants about me you say I will not deal with a local bike shop, this is not true, I have been to 8 shops, and 3 seem to have really good people working at them. 2 have brought in customers bikes for me to demo. 3 had blithering idiots working there. I am considering driving 4 hours to a “local bike shop” in Ohio to look at a Titus. Is a 4-hour ride to a different state considered a “local bike shop”?
    I believe you also called me [email protected]#%hole that may be true in your opinion. My opinion differs from yours, and we all know that “opinions are like ______”.

President, CEO of Earth

Hi Toby, I'm sorry but you seem to have several misconceptions about me. I am not pretentious, I do however spend money differently then most people. I spent more on the bike than I did on the car I drive. I live in an 800 sf. house. I don’t have cable, a big screen TV, or a cell phone. I don’t eat out. I save my money; I buy a few really, really ridiculously nice things. When I buy, I try to buy what I feel is the best of something and enjoy it to the fullest. Careful management of money and spending it on people and things you enjoy is not “pretentious”. Buying a $5k bike and not riding it, or flaunting it to someone riding an average bike would be.
    In one of your earlier rants about me you say I will not deal with a local bike shop, this is not true, I have been to 8 shops, and 3 seem to have really good people working at them. 2 have brought in customers bikes for me to demo. 3 had blithering idiots working there. I am considering driving 4 hours to a “local bike shop” in Ohio to look at a Titus. Is a 4-hour ride to a different state considered a “local bike shop”?
    I believe you also called me [email protected]#%hole that may be true in your opinion. My opinion differs from yours, and we all know that “opinions are like ______”.
    I was going to respond to this point by point, but I will restrain myself. And let me clarify - the service you got from CC sounds totally unacceptable, and the posts of a few mor epeople seem to confirm that you probably were badly treated.

My problem with your story is not one of "how dare you buy an expensive bike", but more like "you seem awfully obsessed with (a) the price you paid for the bike and the higher level of service you deserve because you spent that money; and (b) your refusal to buy something from a local shop.

(a) My first post pointed out that you actually used "$5000" about ten times. Maybe more a case of poor writing then of actual snobbery, but you have to admit that you were totally fixated on the exact amount of money you spent. And really, if I were to order a $2000 bike, or even a $300 bike, it had damn well better come with a fûckin' seatpost that fits. However, in your own words, you were furious when you found that out. Maybe you overreacted? At that point you had found cheap cables and the wrong seatpost and it made you furious. So furious, in fact, that you had to get someone else to call the store to solve the problem. Maybe you're not an @$$hole, but maybe you should consider an anger management program.

(b) You say that you just wanted something really good. I can Identify with that. But you decided on a full suspension frame from a company that is known for having some of the fanciest, most expensive bikes made in the US. A bike where you get less for more money. But, hey, thats your right. But don't try to convince me you were actually getting better value than with a custom builder or smaller, less prestigious brand. Nice bikes are available in your area, and even from one of the three shops you picked from your search. And had you gotten a moots or a titus or a high-end trek, you can be damn well sure that if the shop put the wrong size seatpost in you would have just gone back to the shop, gotten it fixed and gone riding - instead of writing some long-winded compalint letter about a mail order house.

TN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is a case of subpar customer service rather than

LBS versus mail order or even vanity. Nowadays I see some of the larger mail order guys just throwing parts into a box with shoddy packing, not to mention getting about half of the orders wrong. That's been my actual experience in the last year or two. I think it's either the 'dumbing down' of the workforce, trying to meet quotas/sales goals, or workers' lack of motivation/incentive or combinations thereof. We complain about it, but that's part of the price we pay for lower prices, as compared to LBS prices.

The LBS vs. mail order saga is still an interesting read. I can usually spot the LBS-supporter even if it's not explicitly mentioned. So, Fredrick, keep in mind that at least one of your critics is either a LBS owner or employee. They're bitter about the tough competition from mail order houses. Kinda reminds me of partisan politics. In the end, everyone is fighting for the almighty dollar.

Jun 2004

Good job!

[QUOTE=Hobart]. Nowadays I see some of the larger mail order guys just throwing parts into a box with shoddy packing, not to mention getting about half of the orders wrong. That's been my actual experience in the last year or two. I think it's either the 'dumbing down' of the workforce, trying to meet quotas/sales goals, or workers' lack of motivation/incentive or combinations thereof. We complain about it, but that's part of the price we pay for lower prices, as compared to LBS prices.

QUOTE]

Thank you Hobart, It was refreshing to see a reply from someone with a grasp of the big picture. One doesn’t get to buy expensive toys if they keep paying more than they have to for them. The bottom line on this was that I received a bike with multiple errors, and I got poor customer service in trying to fix the errors. The “dumbing down” of our workforce is a sad reality.
    The first 3 mountain bikes I bought (all Cannondale) were from a “local bike shop” they were all purchased before Al Gore invented the Internet (or at least before it became popular). When I finally decided to pry apart my wallet and buy a new bike, I first went to 3 “local bike shops”. I had not even considered mail order. The stoner at the first shop could barely put down his bong long enough to help me. The 17 year old kid at the next shop, while talking thru a mouth full of double whopper said “kann I hep duo?” kudos for trying, but swallow and put down the burger. The third just didn’t have any knowledge of components above LX. Things were not looking up. Then I hit the Internet.
    I have since found some good shops further from home, and one offered me a good bike at 20% off of msrp. There big sales pitch is always service oriented (free tune ups, wheel truing) this is of no value to me as I do my own wrenching. I still haven’t decided on a bike or were to buy it from, but thanks to the many CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions that others have posted, I now have many more options available to me.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Toby, you're posts do not address the issue this guy brought up at all. Is this message board about talking about bikes, or picking on people for their spelling, grammar, writing style, or preference for bikes? Lots of people on this board have spent well over 5000 on bikes/bike components. I only spent $1500 on my bike and I damn well expected it to be put together right when I received it, whether I got it from an LBS or mail order.

As for having his "partner" or wife or whoever call. Who CARES!!!! Stop crying, Toby. You ever hire a lawyer? Well, lots of times people higher lawyers to speak on their behalf, even regarding matters not really related to laws etc.... Some people (a lot actually) are not the best at speaking for themsevles (either they get too mad (lots of people do this), they are too passive - lots, or they don't deal with confrontation well). Again, stop crying about his wife or whoever. Who cares. The point of his post was customer service and bikes.

It is plain and simple a case of terrible quality control and customer service. It should not matter whether he bought the bike from his LBS or mail order. Who f$cking cares. He got screwed by a bunch of idiots.

It seems you just don't like the kind of bike he bought so you're crying about it. Also, stop crying about his spelling and writing style. You got the gist, huh? Well, that is how the internet and message boards work. You get the gist, it's good enough.

People attacking spelling, grammar, writing style generally are people who like to ***** and moan.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    I was going to respond to this point by point, but I will restrain myself. And let me clarify - the service you got from CC sounds totally unacceptable, and the posts of a few mor epeople seem to confirm that you probably were badly treated.

My problem with your story is not one of "how dare you buy an expensive bike", but more like "you seem awfully obsessed with (a) the price you paid for the bike and the higher level of service you deserve because you spent that money; and (b) your refusal to buy something from a local shop.

(a) My first post pointed out that you actually used "$5000" about ten times. Maybe more a case of poor writing then of actual snobbery, but you have to admit that you were totally fixated on the exact amount of money you spent. And really, if I were to order a $2000 bike, or even a $300 bike, it had damn well better come with a fûckin' seatpost that fits. However, in your own words, you were furious when you found that out. Maybe you overreacted? At that point you had found cheap cables and the wrong seatpost and it made you furious. So furious, in fact, that you had to get someone else to call the store to solve the problem. Maybe you're not an @$$hole, but maybe you should consider an anger management program.

(b) You say that you just wanted something really good. I can Identify with that. But you decided on a full suspension frame from a company that is known for having some of the fanciest, most expensive bikes made in the US. A bike where you get less for more money. But, hey, thats your right. But don't try to convince me you were actually getting better value than with a custom builder or smaller, less prestigious brand. Nice bikes are available in your area, and even from one of the three shops you picked from your search. And had you gotten a moots or a titus or a high-end trek, you can be damn well sure that if the shop put the wrong size seatpost in you would have just gone back to the shop, gotten it fixed and gone riding - instead of writing some long-winded compalint letter about a mail order house.

TN

Feb 2004

..I feel your ANGST....

Hey all read carefully,
    Consider this, the time and effort to assemble a bike PROPERLY and box it, and ensure that the order is filled according to the purchase agreement is the same regardless of whether it is a $500 bike or $5000 bike.

There are however a few noteworthy and obvious differences:

1.the amount of time the average joe schmoe must save his pizza allowance so he/she can afford the particular bike , the more expensive - the more slavery/work he must endure and paycheck savings so he can purchase the new two wheeler
    2. the amount of profit to the seller, the higher the price tag the higher dollars of profit margin (generally) since overhead is overhead although some of the material costs are higher on higher priced bikes.
    3. Although a bike is a bike is a bike is a bike…ie two wheels something pointy to sit on , some pedals, and some sort of steering wheel…..not all bikes are the same
    4. Walmart customer service is guaranteed to be different from a reputable LBS, if you think they should be the same….spend some time working at Walmart.

Consider what Mr FlintyStoned really invested in his two wheels, consider that he is entitled to reasonable customer service, and yes one can expect shoddy assembly at Goodwill bit not at a store whose LIFEBLOOD is to be Expert in BICYCLES. He has paid for superior (personal opinion at times) equipment AS WELL AS superior service and attention to detail.

Mr Stoner, I can sympathize with you. Someone RESPONSIBLE should have been in command at the first sign that your order was not filled properly. THey should have made the necessary arrangements in a timely manner to correct their gross mistakes. If it cost them some of their profit margin on your transaction that is part of doing the right thing and earning customers for life, not just making a sale.

My 2 centavos, PS I do bidness with Colocyclists and some of the folks are regular people, some are a bit snotty, but in any event someone RESPONSIBLE should have been involved at the first sign that their service was less than acceptable.

Good luck bro and I hope that once you procure your dreamride, that you can enjoy the hell outta the miles of trail ahead.

Peace

ಠ_ಠ

A $5000 mistake would have been them sending you an Orbea Orca or Starship instead of your $3k bike. As it is, you are out the cost of return shipping ($50), but you got to demo the bike for a day ($70 in Moab) so you really came out $20 ahead.

And since you have 2 posts, all we can do is assume you signed up here specifically to slander one of the best (but not cheapest) online retailers out there.
    Forkboy!? Mathboy is more like it!!!

player hater
    Hey Toby,

Do you own a bike shop? Is that why you're so obssesed with the fact that he didn't spend the money (WHICH HE CAN SPEND HOWEVER HE LIKES) at the LBS? Maybe you can start your own thread about trashing those who don't buy from the LBS, but that isn't what this thread was about.

Let's save this thread from getting any more OT, okay?...if you feel the need to respond to me, don't do it here. PM me and spare these people your rant.

Feb 2004

Its only a bike

Take a chill pill. Its only a bike. There are plenty of more important topics in life to get worked up about.

Did you honestly expect them to drop everything to satisfy you and you alone?

Why would you buy through Colorado Cyclist? Its not like they off great deals or anything. Obviously money wasn’t an issue but time was yet you still sent it back.

You had 99% of exactly what you wanted. A little patience and elbow grease would have provided the other 1%. Don’t you feel like a dope now for sending it back and having to start from scratch and probably have to deal with the same issues with someone else?

If this causes you so much stress, maybe you need 2, $2500 bikes instead so as to have a spare.

mtbr member

Lbs?

Lightspeed dealer:

Wheels In Motion
    3400 Washtenaw Avenue
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    734-971-2121
    [ view map ]
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Jul 2004
    FYI - Next time you want to buy a Litespeed, I suggest you fly over to Taiwan and purchase it there, sans stickers, for about 1/2 the price you are being charged in the States.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EIBfan

Did you honestly expect them to drop everything to satisfy you and you alone?

You had 99% of exactly what you wanted. A little patience and elbow grease would have provided the other 1%. Don’t you feel like a dope now for sending it back and having to start from scratch and probably have to deal with the same issues with someone else?
    What is up with all these bike shop apologists?!?! I can't believe it. It is as if corporate America has brainwashed the American public to accept and/or ignore sh$tty, half-rate, incompetent customer service i.e. think of calling Verizon, Dell computer....... It's all the same. You can't get good service in America. And now we got these guys going around giving people a hard time when they are upset about getting dog-sh$t service.

EIPFan: What the hell are you talking about? Yes, when I buy a product from a merchant, and they mess it up, I expect them to PROMPTLY rectify the situation. I don't know if that means "drop everything," but I don't think they guy buying the bike asked them to drop everything. He just wanted what he ordered in a reasonable amount of time. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FROM A BUSINESS?

Further, EIPfan, he didn't have what he ordered at all. He ordered an assembled bike with a certain set of components. I say if the bike is not rideable, he didn't get nearly what he ordered.

What if the f are people thinking apologizing for this disgraceful example of customer service and competence??????????

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! LBS vs. CC (mailorder) and Big Green bikes

I am Jone's ing for a Turner Five Spot that costs 3100 @ 123bikes.com vs. $4200 @ my LBS. I rode the bike around the parking lot at the LBS. I am going to Tahoe to rent the bike from a bike rental company in the next couple of weeks.
    1. I love all my LBS shops here in Marin county, but I am not going to give them an extra $1100 to buy a bike thru them. If I just buy a frame, I will pay them to assemble the bike and regardless they get all my repair business and most of my equipment business during the year, except for low cost forks, tires etc from the web.
    2. Colorado Cyclist is okay, but they are not the greatest customer service company in the world. I bought a portable Park 5 (?) bike repair stand from them with an accessory tool tray. The tool tray was purchased for attaching to the stand, but it was not designed for my model stand. Phone guy had no idea that it wouldn't work. When I got around to returning the $35 tray CC had lost my record of purchase. Oh well! Not a bad company, but not great!
    3. Fred lives somewhere in the middle with no mtns. How good can his bike stores be in a place like Ohio where they are only open six months a year? In Marin County there are probably eight great bike stores that make money year round. If I go to Sausilto on Sunday, I could sit at a coffee shop for an hour and see a half million dollars worth of bikes ride by in an hour. How would Fred know that American Bike company (Litestuff is a road bike company) that makes crummy mtn bikes that are light years behind the tech curve. Hell, it wouldn't matter anyway, he lives in Ohio! He would at least have the best looking bike (if he used some 'Goo Off', on those butt ugly decals.) What is deader than a hard tail.
    4. Fred is seems like a good guy. He does not yell at telephone employees. He knows when he has been spanked. He learned his lesson and now he is not going to buy mail order until he has ridden the bike in his size. He didn't take the bait from Toby the Gay basher. If Fred is a three dollar bill, please God, who cares. If he isn't, who cares.

Fred,
    Good luck on your purchase. If I were you I would buy a Turner or a Blur with a Fox, Marzochi or Manitou Minute One fork.

Kane

P.S. For $5,000 I'd be pissed too.

President, CEO of Earth

You're right. I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by round00
    Toby, you're posts do not address the issue this guy brought up at all. Is this message board about talking about bikes, or picking on people for their spelling, grammar, writing style, or preference for bikes? Lots of people on this board have spent well over 5000 on bikes/bike components. I only spent $1500 on my bike and I damn well expected it to be put together right when I received it, whether I got it from an LBS or mail order.

As for having his "partner" or wife or whoever call. Who CARES!!!! Stop crying, Toby. You ever hire a lawyer? Well, lots of times people higher lawyers to speak on their behalf, even regarding matters not really related to laws etc.... Some people (a lot actually) are not the best at speaking for themsevles (either they get too mad (lots of people do this), they are too passive - lots, or they don't deal with confrontation well). Again, stop crying about his wife or whoever. Who cares. The point of his post was customer service and bikes.

It is plain and simple a case of terrible quality control and customer service. It should not matter whether he bought the bike from his LBS or mail order. Who f$cking cares. He got screwed by a bunch of idiots.

It seems you just don't like the kind of bike he bought so you're crying about it. Also, stop crying about his spelling and writing style. You got the gist, huh? Well, that is how the internet and message boards work. You get the gist, it's good enough.

People attacking spelling, grammar, writing style generally are people who like to ***** and moan.

Firstly, I never picked on his grammar and writing style. I mentioned once that if the price actually meant so little to him then he shouldn't have repeated it fifteen times in his post.

Secondly, I am not 'crying' 'cause I can't get or don't have an expensive bike. People have the right to get as expensive a bike as they want. But if someone is so obviously obsessed with the price he paid for his bike, it should tell anyone with half a brain that it was puchased, at least in part, to show off. And for the record, I am not saying this because of jealousy. I have a nice titanium bike myself - not as expensive as a Niota, but a nice bike that I am very happy with.

I also have no problem with mailorder. I merely pointed out what I saw as a bit of hypocrisy. I have ordered things from mail-order shops myself, although never claiming that I am making the puchase stategically to help the economy. LBSs employ more people then mail-order houses, and if you're willing to pay a little extra to get an American made bike, you could also pay a little extra to buy it locally - even if you fear one of the sales staff at your LBS is a pothead.

All that being said... (an apology)

FredrickFlinstone - I'm sorry I was such an a$$hole. I should have been constructive and sympathetic about your (what I would consider) real frustration and legitimate anger. You have the right as a purchaser of any decent quality bike (or any product for that matter) to get proper and competent service. You didn't get it. ColCyc messed up bigtime and you have every right to be p1ssed off. Your post has made me think twice about ever ordering anything from them. I hope your new bike becomes the next great love of your life, and you grow old riding it for thousands of miles per year.

TN

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Again, your post adds nothing to the discussion other than to point out that some people prefer one brand to another.

I think spending $30,000 on a base model Saab is idiotic when you can get, for example, a fully loaded Subaru Forrester or a Mazda 6 - for somewhere in the mid-$20ks - but, my wife LIKES the Saab. There is nothing I can do about what car she likes.

So, Toby, you have just pointed out the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody

TN

Jul 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paiwan_Tim
    FYI - Next time you want to buy a Litespeed, I suggest you fly over to Taiwan and purchase it there, sans stickers, for about 1/2 the price you are being charged in the States.
    I suggest when you send a reply you paid attention to the content of the message. The Litespeed in question is USA Made, if he wanted Taiwan junk he would go to Wal-Mart..

Hey Everyone!!
    I happen to know who Mr. Flintstone is and I thought I'd share a little insight on him. Frederick is a hard working guy, has been riding his Cannondale (that he adores) for over a decade, bought from a LBS that is no longer open if it were he would have just gone there from the beinging. He is looking for one more bike, the dream bike, the one to ride into his twilight years. His Cannondale has done him well over the years, but bike technology has recently leap frogged and it's time to upgrade. Frederick lives in the MidWest where riding time is limited between long winters. He does not have the advantages some you seen to have with year round riding and a plethora (look it up Toby) of LBS.
    Frederick's "partner" makes the phone calls and handles the business end of their lives as this is just her talent. They perfer the term Partner as they have been together a long time and BOTH choose to not marry. does this make the ****-phobes more secure?

The whole point of Frederick's e-mail was to 1. blow off steam (done) 2. warn others out there that this company does not care for their customers. They do not do as they say, like test ride a bike before shipping to ensure it is assembled correctly, or send out replacement parts overnight. Frederick wasn't pissy that he wanted parts over night, he was promised them. if you are promised something by a company don't ya expect it to happen? And the customer service was LAME!! If you are buying high end stuff you expect high end service. Frederick didn't get any kind of service. I've spoken w/ CC and they really do suck. and if someone out there works for them and reads this, sorry but your management staff are boneheads and I'm glad Frederick sent the bike back. they didn't care to keep a customer happy, why the hell should he keep their bike. you want a used LiteSpeed, and you don't care about being treated like dirt i'm sure Colorado Cyclists will gladly take your money.

As for the money he's spending on this bike, this seems to be a bone of contetion (look it up Toby) anyone out there ever dream of owning something special? a big house, fast shiny car, top end computer, etc?? Well Frederick has always wanted this LiteSpeed. So he has saved and waited, and read and investigated. This is the bike he really wants. He didn't wake up one morning on a pile of money and say "hey i think i'll spend a fortune on a bike" come on people. If that's what you think, maybe you should roll off your pile of money and see how real people live.

All in All Frederick is a good friend and guy. he loves riding and jsut wants to go out and enjoy the season with out having to wrentch his aging Cannondale everytime.

I've ranted enough.
    have a great life and keep on riding
    Wiitch
    Last edited by wiitch; 07-06-2004 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I completely agree with 99% of your post, wiitch, except:

The guy above never said Litespeeds are made in Taiwan - i think he means Litespeeds are sold in Taiwan after being made in the USA for much less than they are sold for in the USA.

Second: Why do you think things made in Taiwan are "junk"? Just because it is made in Taiwan. Just because some companies in Taiwan make inexpensive stuff? That does not make sense. Ford Motor Company made really $hitty cars for a long time, but I do not believe that that means everything made in the USA sucks. There is a 95% chance the memory chips in your computer were made in Taiwan, and I'll bet you have never had a problem with them? For that matter, lots of things you use were probably made in Taiwan and you never had a problem with them??

Taiwan actually produces some very high quality products. My Specialized bicycle to name one. That is why they are such successful exporters.

Quote Originally Posted by wiitch
    I suggest when you send a reply you paid attention to the content of the message. The Litespeed in question is USA Made, if he wanted Taiwan junk he would go to Wal-Mart..

Hey Everyone!!
    I happen to know who Mr. Flintstone is and I thought I'd share a little insight on him. Frederick is a hard working guy, has been riding his Cannondale (that he adores) for over a decade, bought from a LBS that is no longer open if it were he would have just gone there from the beinging. He is looking for one more bike, the dream bike, the one to ride into his twilight years. His Cannondale has done him well over the years, but bike technology has recently leap frogged and it's time to upgrade. Frederick lives in the MidWest where riding time is limited between long winters. He does not have the advantages some you seen to have with year round riding and a plethora (look it up Toby) of LBS.
    Frederick's "partner" makes the phone calls and handles the business end of their lives as this is just her talent. They perfer the term Partner as they have been together a long time and BOTH choose to not marry. does this make the ****-phobes more secure?

The whole point of Frederick's e-mail was to 1. blow off steam (done) 2. warn others out there that this company does not care for their customers. They do not do as they say, like test ride a bike before shipping to ensure it is assembled correctly, or send out replacement parts overnight. Frederick wasn't pissy that he wanted parts over night, he was promised them. if you are promised something by a company don't ya expect it to happen? And the customer service was LAME!! If you are buying high end stuff you expect high end service. Frederick didn't get any kind of service. I've spoken w/ CC and they really do suck. and if someone out there works for them and reads this, sorry but your management staff are boneheads and I'm glad Frederick sent the bike back. they didn't care to keep a customer happy, why the hell should he keep their bike. you want a used LiteSpeed, and you don't care about being treated like dirt i'm sure Colorado Cyclists will gladly take your money.

As for the money he's spending on this bike, this seems to be a bone of contetion (look it up Toby) anyone out there ever dream of owning something special? a big house, fast shiny car, top end computer, etc?? Well Frederick has always wanted this LiteSpeed. So he has saved and waited, and read and investigated. This is the bike he really wants. He didn't wake up one morning on a pile of money and say "hey i think i'll spend a fortune on a bike" come on people. If that's what you think, maybe you should roll off your pile of money and see how real people live.

All in All Frederick is a good friend and guy. he loves riding and jsut wants to go out and enjoy the season with out having to wrentch his aging Cannondale everytime.

I've ranted enough.
    have a great life and keep on riding
    Wiitch

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll throw in my 2 cents:

1) Frederick's first post was over the top. He has since calmed down and shown that he was just pissed at the time and really looking for a good bike to ride for a long time.

2) Frederick has (unlike many people here) actually listened to many suggestions and opened up his search to include other bikes.

3) It's a free country and Fredericks perogative to spend his money as he sees fit. I can't count the number for apartments I drive by with brand new $50,000 cars in the driveway. Who are we to say that spending $5000 for an arguably overpriced litespeed is stupid or redicoulous. Most of my friends think I am nuts with a $3000 turner, much less my $1400 klein roadbike.

4) It is time to move on, unlike some people posting on this thread, Fredrick seem to be focused on one thing, finding a bike that he loves to ride.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Jul 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by round00
    I completely agree with 99% of your post, wiitch, except:

The guy above never said Litespeeds are made in Taiwan - i think he means Litespeeds are sold in Taiwan after being made in the USA for much less than they are sold for in the USA.

Second: Why do you think things made in Taiwan are "junk"? Just because it is made in Taiwan. Just because some companies in Taiwan make inexpensive stuff? That does not make sense. Ford Motor Company made really $hitty cars for a long time, but I do not believe that that means everything made in the USA sucks. There is a 95% chance the memory chips in your computer were made in Taiwan, and I'll bet you have never had a problem with them? For that matter, lots of things you use were probably made in Taiwan and you never had a problem with them??

Taiwan actually produces some very high quality products. My Specialized bicycle to name one. That is why they are such successful exporters.
    You're right, many things, quaility and non are made all around the world . I should not slame other countries. However if more of our money goes to our fellow countrymen and women then we are helping to secure their jobs, and in turn they are helping to secure ours. now this is politics and not biking and i shall discuss no further.
    Cheers.