Cheap Child trailer ok?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap Child trailer ok?

Hey everyone, I'm not sure where to post this, so I may post it in a couple of threads. I would like to purchase one of those little trailers that you can pull your kid in for the nights when we just go on lesure rides through the neigborhood, but don't want to pay $250. I'd like to look for one for under $100.

I need it to pull my little angel with us. (see pic) I've found some used ones on eBay, but shipping is ridiculous. I found one at Walmart for about $100 (see pic), and figure, what the hell, I'm not taking it off-road or anything, it's just going around the neighborhood. Am I going to be sorry buying the one at Wallyworld? Should I look for a good used one? What should I do?

Oh, and same question for a rear-mounted bike rack, walmart - $35 (see pic). Going to fall apart on me?

Thanks,
    Nate
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

just along for the ride
    I bought mine in a garage sale for 20 but that one looks fine for something new, no idea on the car carrier, I would not put that against glass, g/l!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got mine from Target for $95, it's an INSTEP brand trailer, looks very similar to the one in your picture. I have been using it for more than a year and my son totally loves it! I was considering an $350 Burley and $280 Yakima but not sure it's worthy. I have no regret buying this "cheap" trailer and I don't see the point to go further (it will give you a lighter aluminum frame, stroller converter, if you need them?) I use the trailer about twice a week on pave road, because my kid won't keep the helmet on so I figure the off-road riding is too dangerous. Another note is when your kid falls asleep (which my son did everytime, 20-30 minutes into the ride)you don't want to see his neck dangling on bumpy singletrack. All in all, it definately exceeds my expectation for solid construction, easy to fold and hook up, and adequate safety design.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I also am going to keep my eyes peeled on eBay.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have a very inexpensive trailer that I got from Nashbar. It was on sale for about $80 and I scored a 20% on top of that. At that price, the trailer's a bargain. A few things I've learned about it, though.

It's two-seater, so at the mo, I've got the 11-month old boy strapped in in the middle. If he gets tired and wants to rest his head, the side walls aren't close enough to him so that he can lean his head to one side. Therefore, he ends up laying sideways, which isn't such a bad thing since he tend to doze off after a while and we can prolong our ride. It's not a plus, it's not a minus, just an observation and a point of differentiation versus some of the other swanky single-seater trailers where the fit is a bit more snug.

The other thing about this cheapy trailer is the clamp that's used to hold the trailer to the bike. Unlike some of the more expensive models with a proper hitch that mounts onto a bracket that's installed on the bike, this trailer uses a screw-on clamp, with a clip tether. The clamp is crap. On an aluminum bike, where the chainstay tubes are thicker, the clamp doesn't fully wrap around the tube, so the rubberized coating causes the clamp to slip off. That's dangerous. Therefore I end up using my steel bike with the thinner chainstay tubes and the clamp wraps completely around the chainstay. I've been able to make it work.

A few things to think about when getting a child trailer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I
    It's two-seater, so at the mo, I've got the 11-month old boy strapped in in the middle. If he gets tired and wants to rest his head, the side walls aren't close enough to him so that he can lean his head to one side.
    The other thing about this cheapy trailer is the clamp that's used to hold the trailer to the bike. Unlike some of the more expensive models with a proper hitch that mounts onto a bracket that's installed on the bike, this trailer uses a screw-on clamp, with a clip tether. The clamp is crap. On an aluminum bike, where the chainstay tubes are thicker, the clamp doesn't fully wrap around the tube, so the rubberized coating causes the clamp to slip off. That's dangerous. Therefore I end up using my steel bike with the thinner chainstay tubes and the clamp wraps completely around the chainstay. I've been able to make it work.

A few things to think about when getting a child trailer.
    My Instep trailer has the same two-seater design, I sometimes put teddy bears next to my kid to better support his neck when he's asleep.
    The Instep trailer uses the mounting bracker that installed at the rear wheel quick release, attached to the trailer with a steel clip, which I found very convenient and secure. I couldn't find the cheapest model in Target website, but you can read the user reviews from the other models here:
    http://www.target.com/gp/search.html...index%3Dtarget

mtbr member

I must have had the same nashbar one

I think the latest nashbar one is a little different than the one I had, but ditto what Spinwheelz had to say with regards to mine.

The only thing I would add is that I couldn't adjust the windows as I would have liked. I think the front allowed you to roll up the clear plastic cover to reveal a screen (this is what I like) or you could roll all of it up and it would just be open. The rear was all open or all closed, and the sides and top were always closed. Something to think about if you ride in a hot sunny area, an area with lots of insects or if your little angel has a personality that when she decides she is done, she starts throwing toys/diapers/snacks out of the trailer.

For me all of these things were minor and in no way do I wish I spent more on a trailer. My son outgrew it so fast and rides a Mt. Train now. I bought the cheapest I could find at the time with pneumatic tires. I'd do the same again if I was in the market for one.