mtbr member

chainreactioncycles exchange rate

Ok, so I'm pricing out stuff on their site, and because of the exchange rate the prices are ridiculously lower than US prices. For example, look at Shimano XT cranksets...$150 vs $300 at US stores...

Anybody know if they don't screw you over at the end of this transaction or is the exchange rate really making this a killer deal????

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They charge your credit card in british pounds. It's up to your credit card to screw you over. Or pay with paypal and paypal will do the conversion and then charge your credit card in US dollars. My Paypal transaction had a more favorable conversion rate then when I paid directly with my Chase Visa card. YMMV. You could probably call up your CC company and ask about the current rate. Either way, it shouldn't be more than a few bucks difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I used my Capital One card for a purchase a few weeks back and was not charged on conversion fee. Here is a list of what companies charge:

Credit Card Issuer Fee For Foreign Currency Transactions

Capital One 0%
    Discover 0% - Not Generally Accepted Overseas
    Wachovia 1%
    Washington Mutual 1%
    American Express 2% - Not Generally Accepted Overseas
    Bank of America 3%
    Chase 3%
    Citibank (Citi Card) 3%
    HSBC 3%
    U.S. Bank 3%
    Wells Fargo 3%

Info is from this site:
    http://www.moneybluebook.com/list-of...nsaction-fees/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Drew and I each have ordered from CRC before with great success. I actually didn't remember to check what my Visa Card charged me for conversion fee, but it sure wasn't enough to offset the $150 xt crank I got. They have ridiculous prices on Shimano stuff. Plus, you get free shipping if you spend over $250.

mtbr member
    I have never been charged an exchange rate using my REI Visa through U.S. bank. CRC is my friend.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on some Race Face Atlas FR cranks...seriously tho...$150 for the cranks vs $250 here in the states. Used Capital One so no fee (i forgot they dont charge for foreign transactions which is sweeeet). Being this is the where's the best deal thread, if you're in the market for cranks, check out chain reaction because the current exchange rate just slashed those numbers (interestingly not everything is lower with the rate...guess some things are adjusted on the pound or companies like Shimano and Race Face aren't US and have different pricing)!

Black Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by murd
    I have never been charged an exchange rate using my REI Visa through U.S. bank. CRC is my friend.

I ordered a wheelset from CRC about one year ago with my REI Visa card (US bank) and the card (not CRC of course) charged me a 3% conversion fee. It's just their standard Visa card, not a gold card or anything. I noticed the conversion charge, which was a separate charge from my CRC wheeset charge, on my online billing statement. I called the REI card representative and he confirmed that the amount shown was in fact a 3% conversion fee. On my last wheelset from CRC, I used my American Express card instead, which was a 2% fee.

local trails rider
    For CRC, the exchange rate is whatever the going rate is the moment they charge your card.

Whatever your bank or credit card company charge you for conversion is a separate matter and CRC has no influnce.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good info
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought something from a UK retailer last week and my bank charged me $1.50 conversion. Well well well, etc. worth it.

I hate to take money out of the US but hey I'm broke and the part I wanted was like 75% less than it was in the US.

Gringo
    Best to call your CC company. Wachovia has been charging me a lot more than 1% for at least the last five years, but Capital One is still king at 0%.

Billing transparency has completely disappeared with Wachovia, so you often have no idea what your exchange rate was. Their customer service doesn't have a clue either.

If anyone likes their credit card company and how it operates overseas and with a statement that shows exchange rate and fees, I'd love to hear about it.

Deutsche Bank (European) shows all exchange info and charges 1.75%. It went up from 1.5%, but I don't know when.

This really deserves a new thread...

G.

Members who have read this thread: 0