The White Jeff W

Cane Creek Zonos disc wheels $275 shipped

No moss...

Its got what plants crave
    The same guys were selling those wheels through Ebay. I used the "Best Offer" feature for 200 dollars and they agreed. See if they still have an auction going on Ebay, it's a better deal. The wheels are good quality too.

The White Jeff W
    All gone. I had a bid in but got sniped. Auctions ended yesterday while I was at work.
    No moss...

Stone Jack Baller
    Do you have any idea what they weigh? Are they for a geared set up?
    Last edited by slowpoker; 09-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Still a bunch on ebay

Stone Jack Baller
    Very nice. I still hope someone can confirm that they are geared. I hate to order them only to find out that they are single speed.

mtbr member
    ....not SS,
    very nice cassette freehub actually, and they spin smoothly. The seller ended his register ID what? Two months ago? And now is back up as straight "canecreek........"

Like jim311, I offered and got them for 200 (there were one or two people who got them for less but 200 was the overall basement price then). The same pic is being used to advertise, and what you get is a 'safe factory boxed' wheelset straight from CCreek, no skewers but valve stems to run tubeless if choose (I think they come with a couple extra nylock nuts too, If I am not mistaken). I'll venture they are built on the 3.3 hub also, but correct me if I am wrong.
    Each set is hand built, tagged and personally signed, straight from N. Carolina.

So, straight up deal.
    They must have quite a few, but CC will not be making any more 26" wheels.

banned
    Yeah, who makes the hubs, and what is the internal construction like?

mtbr member

Well, JC....

... you must know that one.

Give us the skinny.

EYE have yet to rip into one...

my guesses are:
    some foreign continent/Island
    # of engagement points, degrees between, and size/configuration of pawls: unknown.

I can say the cartridge bearings utilized make some others sound like a dirt road.
    So I will take seriously, and ask abroad- who has the low down, schema on CC hubs?

banned
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I am simply curious to know what's inside those hubs.

It also seems they are outgoing at the wrong time, as proprietary spoke/rim/hub wheelsets are gaining some ground, such as with I9, Spinergy, and of course, Mavic. Now Hope has the ProXX wheels coming out now as well.

mtbr member
    Oh, and if no one will,
    I'll go take them off my sister's Intense next chance, pull apart, AND open up the freehub for you.
    BUT I bet by someone can chicken scratch the 'net for an arrangement, please. (I could have her hold the rear wheel up to the phone and rotate one cycle for degrees between engagement

mtbr member
    Gotcha JC...
    I am not sure what CC's story is with their mtn. wheels. But they sure are downright beautiful.
    I have a number of guests who have them on my bike trips, and they keep showing up. So I have always considered them steady & sturdy.
    Did I say they are beautiful?

Stone Jack Baller
    Just won my 1st ebay auction. $200. Thanks for the info guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I bought a pair of these several months back for AM use and I love them. My wife has recently started XC racing and needs a new set of wheels... is there anything else in this price range that can possibly beat these at $225 shipped? Should I just jump on another pair of these before they are gone?

http://stores.ebay.com/Cane-Creek-Closeouts

The White Jeff W
    I've been riding mine now for quite awhile and love them. They run near 2000 grams for the pair so might be considered on the heavy side for XC racing, but they are bombproof. They also only have 18 points of engagement.

A couple months ago my rear derailleur got jammed into the spokes by a stick. Broke the chain, derailleur hanger, damaged the derailleur to the point of being unusable but the spoke only got a slight bend and the wheel was knocked only slightly out of true. If you're not hung up on engagement points i would recommend these wheels to anyone.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

CC Zonos

I got my set in last week. Ordered from Greenfishsports.com for $210 and free shipping. The price is even lower today.

http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...-Wheelset.html

mtbr member
    Ordered mine this weekend for 210 shipped from green fish, can't beat that deal with a stick. They come tomorrow, cant wait!! They will be on my 5 inch jamis dakar xlt which ive built as a light AM bike. Im guessing I'll see alot of these wheels out on the trails now that they are so cheap.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    They look better without the white stickers

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdoc132
    Ordered mine this weekend for 210 shipped from green fish, can't beat that deal with a stick. They come tomorrow, cant wait!! They will be on my 5 inch jamis dakar xlt which ive built as a light AM bike. Im guessing I'll see alot of these wheels out on the trails now that they are so cheap.

thats the same bike i put mine on. they look great on it. i'll post some pics soon.

I guess I've been rocking these for about 6 months. They haven't seen any hard duty, just some light XC use but they roll really well and have decent (nothing amazing) engagement. I bought them because they were the cheapest tubeless disc option I could find. Haven't been disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Smile you're preaching to the choir!

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Action
    I bought a pair of these several months back for AM use and I love them. My wife has recently started XC racing and needs a new set of wheels... is there anything else in this price range that can possibly beat these at $225 shipped? Should I just jump on another pair of these before they are gone?

http://stores.ebay.com/Cane-Creek-Closeouts
    I agree with everything you guys have been saying re: the wheels rolling fast, being bullet proof, etc! My question is, are there other wheelsets in this price range (<$300) that I should be considering?

Oh and jeremyrb, thanks for the link! That saves me $25 right there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    got my Zonos in last week. havent had a chance to ride them yet, but they look sweet on the steed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought a set of these wheels off ebay. I am stoked with all the great reviews I read about them. Does anybody know if Cane Creeks customer service will still be helpful if an issue does arise? Any info would be great. Thanks

These wheels are discontinued by CC which is why they are so cheap. If you break them it's going to be hard for them to get parts or warranty stuff. My rear wheel has come out of true a bit but not enough to really care. If you break a spoke any shop with a spoke threader can make you a spoke, and you should have extra nipples in the box that the wheels came with for just that purpose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Jim311. I bought them to use as my all mountain wheelset so i dont plan on abusing them but its nice to know that if something does happen to them, then at least my lbs can service them. Plus with how little I paid for them I figured I couldn't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...616EE57A0B4D96

-->that article has a lot of information about the parts & hubs they're made with. I just got a pair (thanks for the tip) & they seem really nice so far. I'll know better after I try some all mountain tomorrow. The same seller is still clearancing them for 250 obo on ebay...200 offer works.

The White Jeff W
    I'm rockin' them on two bikes & still love 'em. Good compromise between weight & strength, IMO.

I can honestly say that my Yeti 575 with the Zonos wheels, platform pedals & big, heavy knobby tires pedals better than my Gary Fisher hardtail with clipless pedals, Bonty wheels and light weight, small tread tires.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone know if these will also work with NON-Tubeless tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As i understand it, all UST rims can also take a presta tube. I'm running my Zonos with presta tubes and 2.35 non-UST ignitors.

I'm thinking about taking out the tubes and adding some stan's, but i've heard that UST rims + non UST tires often have problems with the seal.

Any tubeless wheel can also be used with tubed tires and a tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks. I thought that to be true, just wanted to check.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Anyone try to true these wheels yet? Mine has a slight hop that needs to be fixed.

mtbr member
    how about problems with flats, i run mine tubed and there was a bur on the rim weld that popped 2 tubes before i figured it out. Good thing i had my leatherman and the problem is solved, but shouldnt they do that at the factory
    If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

Warren Miller

mtbr member
    anyone know the weight of a set of zonos with CX spokes?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is there any version of the Zonos disc that is NOT SS, other than the Team (with Ti spokes)? The guy on ebay doesn't specify "SS" but I suspect they are, as I'm not aware of any lower disc model.

Anyone feel free to comment on how these might stack up against some old school Bontrager Corvair (non-disc) wheels in terms of durability or weight? How about how they would compare to the current lineup of Bontrager wheels?

mtbr member
    i had to cancel a set from the guy on ebay as i bagged a set with CX-ray spokes off here. the guys was dead cool about it (as i'd put in an offer of $200) and they are the normal version (canecreekcyclingcomponents is his ebay name). They are on the heavy side( by XC standards) but built to last. For the money, a bargin i think

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is anyone else having disk rotor/IS caliper mount rubbing issues with their front Zonos wheel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    These wheels have the 2.5 Mtn Hubs and straight guage spokes, not double buted. Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    they are still available. im looking forward to getting some by the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Does anyone know what tire widths the Zonos can take (minimum and maximum)? I tried asking their e-bay seller but they don't respond.

mtbr member
    ...aren't they 24mm width rims? They "look" wider, which is funny.
    As for min to max tires I'll say 1.25 to 2.5, though a high volume 2.3 is always going to feel better on a 28mm rim as example. From 1.85 to 2.3 tires you are still very golden.

Mnigro- aren't they 3.0 hubs? Mine have been great after 9 months- no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No, they are the 2.5 hubs. CC web site gives a better description and also lists them with the 2.5 hubs, straight guage spokes, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Disappointed in durability

I got a pair of these last summer and only rode about 200 miles on them. Mostly XC and all seemed ok.

Then I took them to Moab in the fall and rode 5 days. The whole enchilada was the roughest ride, but I wouldn't say I pounded them. I'm 155 lb on a 5" travel bike.

Ever since then I haven't been able to tune the front disk so that it doesn't rub. I replaced the disk without improvement. The bearings and axle are fine (not that you can find a replacement axle anyway). Turns out the whole hub is out of round.

No responses from Cane Creek (inquired about an axle in case that was an easy fix).

The ebay dealer only responded to say he doesn't sell front wheels.

Seemed like a good deal, but I spent about $1 a mile on these and now need to look elsewhere.

I you bought these, go easy.

If not, avoid.

Been rocking mine about a year, no problems. Mostly XC, but I've had some pretty rough crashes on them without damage. I did get a stick hung up in the rear spoke which bent it a little, but I haven't replaced it and it's not out of true so I'm going to keep rocking them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sbstumpy,
    Why not just contact them directly? See their web site for warranty./customer service information.

Ride Everything
    I've been running a set of these wheels for a while, and they've proven to be pretty reliable. FWIW, I'm 210#, and ride a 130mm/120mm full-sus Trek. Tires are 2.1"-2.2" UST in the 22-30psi range (using the Cane Creek/Bontrager strips and valves).

For the money, they're a good deal. Not the lightest, but neither am I. Reading the replies, I realized that my front rotor hasn't ever been perfectly true (and I've run three different rotors).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    , Why not just contact them directly? See their web site for warranty./customer service information.s).
    First email was unanswered. I just sent a second email (phone tree lead to voicemail/email). I bought these on ebay as others in this thread and it has been 13 months. The warranty is one year. I'll be shocked if its economical to have a new hub installed by cane creek. But your right, need to get that dollar figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    , I realized that my front rotor hasn't ever been perfectly true (and I've run three different rotors).
    My hub was not this wobbly when I put the wheels on or I would have sent them back. If I didn't think the process was progressive I could maybe shim the disk or something.

Sorry to be the downer on the thread. It sounds like others have had the 'as advertised' bomber performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sbstumpy
    I'll be shocked if its economical to have a new hub installed by cane creek. But your right, need to get that dollar figure.
    munch, munch, munch... (me eating my words).

They got back to me and sent me an RMA number to return the wheel for repair. They will take it direct from me and either fix the disk mount or replace the hub despite being out of their stated warranty period. I didn't get an explicit 'at no cost' but I will be willing to pay a fair repair cost.

I tip my cap to Cane Creek!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There you go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cane Creek Zonos

just got my set from ebay a few days ago and i noticed what appears to be a stress fracture on both rims. The crack? is directly opposite the valve stem so i am wondering if this is indeed a crack or simply a bad weld job? would you ride on these or should i send them back?
    Attached Images Attached Images

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Those are welds. Mine have the same marks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    mine have the same weld marks too. CC doesn't weld these rims, Bonti does.

Oh it's a Bontrager rim? Weird.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

cane creek zonos

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've put about 400 miles on a set and I'm looking for something else now. I keep popping rear spokes. I've busted 4 now and it's just getting a little old. I would probably avoid them. Before these I had a set of the TI Wams and holy crap those wheels were solid. The only reason I got rid of them is that I wore through the rim braking surface.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ive ridden the new wheels two times and so far dont have any complaints. Can i really tell the difference between them and my old xt rhino lites? No, not really, I want to say i feel more nimble, since they are lighter, but I honestly cant tell. I know they are a little over a pound lighter and decreasing rotational weight is a good place to save it...so...ill just keep pedaling and be sure to update the reviews. Personally, i think they look pretty bad ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I took my Zonos out to fruita and crested Butte last month, and they did pretty good. Only complaint I have is that the freewheel will sometimes not engage correctly and 'pop' to the next notch when I start to pedal. since they are rebuildable i'm going to take a look in there to make sure there are no metal shavings or excessive wear so far.

but for the price, i'm liking the set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey Guys,

I have a set of CC Zonos as well but am having a problem with tubeless tires. I started a new thread on the issue and it would be great if I could hear from you has you all have the wheel set.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...42#post6029442

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm running tubes. sorry.

Ride Everything
    This past Sunday, I tested how tough these wheels are. I was riding through a rocky section, and one of the rocks put my derailleur into the spokes. Locked up the wheel, but didn't break any spokes. The one spoke that got caught in the derailleur cage was badly bent, however (and will need replacing). I've got an e-mail into Cane Creek about a replacement spoke, but haven't heard back from them yet.

-EDIT-
    Replacement spokes are on their way.
    Last edited by GRAVELBIKE; 08-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

I got a stick in my rear wheel that locked the whole thing up. It did bend the spoke slightly but I don't plan to do anything about it. Just gonna keep riding it. I also had a derailler get kicked into my spokes and my wheels survived just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone knows how to disassemble the rear hub? My end cap seems to be pushed out too far to cover almost all the axle, thus it is hard to drop the rear wheel back into the frame. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kuai101
    Anyone knows how to disassemble the rear hub? My end cap seems to be pushed out too far to cover almost all the axle, thus it is hard to drop the rear wheel back into the frame. Thanks!
    EDIT: found the instruction - slight hammer or push the axle from the other end

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone have experience w/ Mavic 719's, or 717's, AND the Zonos? I have a set of the Zonos and I need a new wheel set. I am in between a pair of 719's laced to XT 775's or another set of the Zonos. I'm just a little bit nervous having both of my wheelsets (Zonos) being discontinued models. I can get the Mav's and XT's parts anywhere. Can't exactly reuse hubs or rims on the zonos if something goes wrong.

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention that the Mav's will cost about 50% more after I buy the centerlock adapters.

You'd lose the ability to run tubeless tires with those Mavic options. My other bike has a set of 819s on Hope Pro IIs that has been a stellar wheel that I believe is going on 5+ years of use with virtually no maintenance. I couldn't be more pleased with them. But then again the price was a hell of a lot higher than the Zonos, so that's to be expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah Jim, the 719's with XT 775's will be 50% more than the Zonos, after Centerlock adapters figured in. I don't want to spend $350 on a set of wheels so I think I'm just going to get the Zonos. I'm really happy with my first set. Thanks.

Yeah the reason I bought the Zonos was because there were really no other options that were tubeless in that price range. I refuse to run tubes anymore so that was a big deal to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jim,
    Have you had to service your Zonos hubs yet? How easy/hard is it to find the right bearings? That is one pro about the XT's.

Jedi in training.
    Oct 2009
    This thread has been an immense help...I made the decision to give the zonos a shot, as I couldn't pass up the price.

Found them being cleared out directly on ebay, gave Cane Creek a call and they honored the $200 price over the phone, $25 for shipping. Talk to Gary, he's the man! best part is, they will continue to honor the 1 year warranty. sweet deal, can't wait!

Jim,
    Have you had to service your Zonos hubs yet? How easy/hard is it to find the right bearings? That is one pro about the XT's.

I haven't done a lick of maintenance to them. I really should have them trued after catching a stick in the rear spokes and bending one, but have been too cheap/lazy. These wheels are on my XC bike which sees LOTS of stream crossings and mud. They still spin nice and smooth and admittedly I am poor with maintenance so I haven't done anything to them. If this thread is any indicator I guess I've been riding them for a little over a year now. So far so good

You wanna go ridin?
    Quote Originally Posted by TR10
    This thread has been an immense help...I made the decision to give the zonos a shot, as I couldn't pass up the price.

Found them being cleared out directly on ebay, gave Cane Creek a call and they honored the $200 price over the phone, $25 for shipping. Talk to Gary, he's the man! best part is, they will continue to honor the 1 year warranty. sweet deal, can't wait!

+1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    does anyone know if these wheels would work ok on a single speed? I've got a surly 1x1 and was thinking of getting new wheels but don't really understand if I need special wheels for the a single speed. I bought the bike all set up and am still trying to figure it all out.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    no, you need a single speed hub. notice the freehub on normal wheels... a single speed does not have a freehub.

Religion = Non-thinking
    how are those hubs compared to XT hubs for XC riding?
    how are those CC rims compared to something like WTB Laserdiscs, or DT Swiss 420's?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The rims are pretty beefy. The hubs...? I don't have enough time on them to tell. They have 24 POE. I also have a set of the new XT hubs (center lock w/ 36 POE) laced to Mavic 719. The Mav's weigh a little less.
    My Zonos have taken a good beating and still roll true. They are not difficult to true and you can get spokes from CC or local LBS. They are just straight-pull. The Zonos have cartridge bearings so they can be replaced too.
    For the price, they are hard to beat. My XT/719 were about $100 more.

no, you need a single speed hub. notice the freehub on normal wheels... a single speed does not have a freehub.
    Why couldn't he just buy a conversion kit? Basically just a spacer for either side of the cog? These wheels would work for singlespeed if he did that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought a pair from the website this summer and recently sold them. I did not like the feel of them. It is hard to discribe other than stay they felt stiff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jim311, I didn't think about that. I gues it would depend on the price of a conversion kit too. I was just answering his Q about weather they would work on a SS.

joosttx, I've never heard of anyone ditching wheels because they were stiff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Jim311, I didn't think about that. I gues it would depend on the price of a conversion kit too. I was just answering his Q about weather they would work on a SS.

joosttx, I've never heard of anyone ditching wheels because they were stiff.
    maybe a better way of expressing it is they did not feel compliant. I thought I could get a deal on once priced $600 wheels. They did not feel like $600---probably why cc discontinued them. Regarding stiffness, Check out Dave Thomas's speed dreams website. He waxes on and on and on about building play into the wheel. I tend to agree with him that its important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can anyone help me? After two months of emails and calls finally got the wheels. Thought I would test out installing tubes for a day to be prepared for trail side emergencies but the strip that seals the rims has a raised portion near the valve that punctures tubes.
    So I ask Cane Creek about this and they ignored me. (Should I sand it down or use rim tape?) Then I asked about a manual in case I needed to replace a spoke and they ignored me.
    I wish I had purchased the Shimano UST Wheels that Jenson has on sale. The wheels look good but you would think that after losing my order the first time they would like to be helpful - but alas not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm sure that CC is closed for the holiday but that's just a guess.

DO NOT sand down the rim strips. You might decide to go tubeless in the future. You will need to remove them and use rim tape instead. To remove,
    1) slide the strip around the rime so the valve hole in the rim no longer aligns with the valve hole in the rim strip.
    2) Use a flat screw that is just small enough to fit into the valve hole and press the rim strip up enough that you can begin to pry it off. Be careful not to dammage the rim strip, those are not too cheap.
    3) After removing rim strip, install rim tape and tube/tire. Sav the rim strips for later use or sale.

There wasn't a manual when I got mine. Replacing a spoke is fairly straight forward. They are straight-pull, straight guage spokes. If something happens, just bring them into a shop and have them get the right one. The hubs are pretty straight forward as well. Smeone here showed the break-down I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you - your explanation is very clear and just what I wanted to know. My emails to Cane Creek were over several weeks. Years ago I bought a Cloud Nine and they were terrific, so I was very surprised by the lack of help. Of course, every company drops the ball on occasion.
    Still not quite sure what to do if I have a trail side flat - I am running them tubeless now. Every site I've read suggests inserting a tube to get you home, but the tubes flat against the sharp edges of the rim strip near the valve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry, my misunderstanding. Were you saying that for trail side repairs, one needs to remove the existing rim strips before inserting the tubes and then carry the rim strips back home for future use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No, I was actually explaining how to remove them so you can run tubes - permanently. I would think that Stans wouold seal a flat. If you are not running any sealant, try using a cap full.
    Also, try carrying a short piece of rim tape with the valve hole cut out. maybe 6 inches or so. Use that to cover up the sharp edges on the rim strip until you can get off the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks again for clearing that up. I will go with the short piece of rim tape idea. Sounds like the best solution in an emergency. I don't run Stans all the time as I like to change tires for different conditions - mud tires for spring and XC tires when it dries up around here.

Yeah if you're having problems I'd just remove the rim strip to be safe, at least until I got myself back home.

Members who have read this thread: 0