10,000,000 Watts

Bike-discount.de

Hi, has anyone ever ordered from here in the States? Iím contemplating ordering a rather expensive Wheelset from them. Thx!
    RIDE EBIKES - DRINK BEER - REPEAT!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes. Most times they are good. But when u do need to contact or chat with them to get status update on shipping...not easy

Just thst, and i m willing to pay more to deal with u.s. vendors

10,000,000 Watts
    Thank you. They have a set of DT Swiss Wheels that I can only find in Germany.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do it. Some stuff are only available from them as you said

Land of the 230+
    I've placed a couple orders with them for tire group purchases. Just make sure you keep the order total under 800 bucks so you dont have to deal with any customs brokerage fees. My past order got delayed by DHL and I contacted them. Took them a week to respond, but their communication was excellent. The package had finally been delivered by the time they responded, but they were happy to look into it for me. Overall, Ive been happy with my purchases there, as long as you order enough to offset the delivery charge, and can wait a few weeks for DHL to pull their heads out of their own asses.

mtbr member
    Ordered a rear shock from them one time and tires another. Both transactions went well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Excellent company to deal with. I bought a Fox 34 fork from them at a great price (around $200 usd). They had mislabeled it as having a FIT4 damper, and sent me a gift card to compensate. Schwalbe tires are at amazing prices in Euroland, even with shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've ordered tires several times. Usually try to get some friends together and bulk buy them since the shipping to the states is a bit pricy for just a pair of tires.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Tires are the main saver. People complain about Schwalbe tire prices stateside, but Bike-Discount sells them for what amounts to wire-bead prices over here. You can get a 275x2.6 Addix compound Schwalbe for under $40 (even with shipping if you get a few). That's below dealer costs in the states.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

10,000,000 Watts
    Cool. I just placed a $1700 U.S order with them. Will I have to pay someone custom fees? Who and when do you pay? Sorry, naive to this. Never ordered overseas. Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdnewe01 View Post
    Excellent company to deal with. I bought a Fox 34 fork from them at a great price (around $200 usd). They had mislabeled it as having a FIT4 damper, and sent me a gift card to compensate. Schwalbe tires are at amazing prices in Euroland, even with shipping.
    I think you may be confusing bike-components.de with bike-discount.de ?? I, too, grabbed one of the Rhythm 34 forks, great deal, but was bike-components.

Both companies are reputable. Some differences in inventory and prices (which place is "better" depends on what you're buying) , but wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Cool. I just placed a $1700 U.S order with them. Will I have to pay someone custom fees? Who and when do you pay? Sorry, naive to this. Never ordered overseas. Thx
    Yes, probably. DHL or whatever carrier you use will probably charge you a brokerage fee, plus whatever the actual duty charges are. In the future, youre better off breaking your orders into multiple orders under 800 dollars each. 800 is the limit for which there should be no duty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Current US policy is no customs fees on shipments <$800 (the "de minimus" value rose to $800 in 2016). So sometimes it can pay to split orders/shipments to stay below the threshold.

Sometimes you'll get zero fees even over $800, depending on shipper and/or type of product (or how seller coded the product in customs forms . . . not always accurately). Your best bet is shipping services that hand-off to USPS in the states. DHL in Germany does this. UPS and/or FedEx invariably charge customs, and then charge you their own service fee for collecting said customs (I've had them charge $35 fee for collecting $8 of customs).