mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse for Custom Wheelsets

Looked all over for best pricing on a custom wheelset and these guys were by far the cheapest. Ordered a set of XM481s with i9 hubs on Tuesday and they showed up at my door Friday :O

They have coupons for up to 35% off depending on what you order.
    Coupons

Highly recommend

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pretty good pricing it seems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How's the build quality? Anyone else have experience with the company?

Prices are good with discount but cheaper prices don't equal quality sometimes. Might not be the case but would like other feedback if possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm no expert but I'll ask my LBS when I bring em in for my build and report back.

mtbr member
    Not a great rim selection. I'd rather source my own parts, have my LBS build them and get their after build support, and save $300 (non-I9 build) to boot.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Not a great rim selection. I'd rather source my own parts, have my LBS build them and get their after build support, and save $300 (non-I9 build) to boot.
    I'm with you on after build support but not following saving $300 after coupons being offered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I had a set of road wheels built up from them, custom in that I chose the build from what they offered. Mavic CXP33, 32 hole, 105 hubs, DT DB spokes, so pretty basic road training wheel set.

I'm a clyde so like a lot of spokes. I've had Colorado and Excel build up wheels on past occasions and have had very good luck with their wheels, thought I'd give BWW a try.

Generally OK, but not quite as durable as similar wheels I've had from Colorado. I've needed to true the rear a few times in 2 years, but no spoke breakage in 3600 miles. I'd go to them again, they have some wheels I've never heard of, no idea who makes "Pure" rims/wheels as example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stibar01 View Post
    I'm with you on after build support but not following saving $300 after coupons being offered.
    I didn't look past the poor rim selection to see there were coupons. Only that the wheelset cost like $800 I guess before discounts. I can have a just as good wheelset built for around $450 to $500 with some smart shopping and local shop hand building my wheels.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm baffled as to how offering Stans, DT Swiss, WTB, Easton, and Sun qualifies as poor rim selection. The rims offered likely meet the needs of ~98% of budget wheel shoppers. Their BWW brand rims look pretty good for the price too.

I got a Duroc 35 / DT 350 wheelset last year for under $400 shipped, taped with valves that has been trouble free since day 1. There is no way I could have found even the hubs+rims for that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsdude47 View Post
    I'm baffled as to how offering Stans, DT Swiss, WTB, Easton, and Sun qualifies as poor rim selection. The rims offered likely meet the needs of ~98% of budget wheel shoppers. Their BWW brand rims look pretty good for the price too.

I got a Duroc 35 / DT 350 wheelset last year for under $400 shipped, taped with valves that has been trouble free since day 1. There is no way I could have found even the hubs+rims for that price.
    I didn't say the brands offered were poor. Just the selection IMO. If you know how to shop...the deals are out there. I got the parts and had a WTB Asym/Hope Pro 4/DT Swiss Comp. wheelset put together for right around $450 hand built locally so I get after build support in addition to a killer wheelset that didn't break my bank account.

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse for Custom Wheelsets-35360819_10156394891434291_6396688939339481088_o.jpg

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse for Custom Wheelsets-35077527_10156385484464291_3424713669500469248_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I got a lower end set of road/CX wheels from them and they have held up great. The price was almost unbelievable since I got it built with Sapim DLight spokes and the total shipped cost was less than the msrp just for the hubs. Someone on Bike Forums recommended them to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 I have some experience with BWW. I have a set of their pure rims/hubs that I run on my CX bike and they've been bulletproof the year I've had them. unfortunately I can't say the same for the stans that came with my El Mar SS (broken nipples and falling out of true).

I ordered a set of DT XM481 w/ I9 hubs and DT double butted competition spokes w/ black brass nipples. After coupon was applied cost was 669 which is not a ton more than the hubs alone would cost.