mtbr member
    May 2008

Beyond Bikes and whiners

I have seen a lot of complaints about retailers lately and would just like to say a few things about beyond bikes. I have ordered with them 3 times and twice it took longer than expected to get my orders out because they were out of stock on some items. I did however get repeated emails that kept me informed and I got tracking numbers emailed when they were shipped.

Their prices there are great, but unless things are on sale pretty much all of the big retailer prices are the same, so you don't really have to stick to just one.

When I order I always call, and I have also called asking when my items will ship. i have probably talked to a different person every time ive called and every one of the guys that work there are super nice and super cool. sometimes it sucks waiting for stuff, but its not the end of the world and if I really need it fast i will just go to the lbs (which is okay but not cool enough to justify spending the extra cash on a regular basis).

I also had to return a pair of pedals that I used for a weekend trip that ended up having a crappy bearing. there were scratches all over the pedals and they took them back and refunded me really quick no questions asked.

Point is, they are a great store with great customer service and all the guys that work there are cool so it doesnt bother me when I have to wait for an order. people should stop complaining about mistakes and minor inconveniences (this applies to all stores) if the people are nice and it is a good store with good policies. Im sure jenson and nashbar and pricepoint all have mistakes too, but they are good to deal with as well which makes up for it(i have ordered from them but did not have problems).

This is a plug for BB and to tell people to chill out with the whining.

Bike Geek

yeah right

Beyond Bikes is the worst bike component retail store in existence. Compared to Jensonusa, Performance, REI, Pricepoint, and Cambria, their service is WAY below par.

I believe that your experience is the exception rather than the rule. I will never order from them again, even if their price is lower than all of the above mentioned stores.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i agree that jenson, nashbar, pricepoint, and others are faster and better at completing orders. however, my whole point is that the guys that ive talked to on the phone are cool, the customer service has been awesome for me, and overall it seems like a good business (meaning they arent a bunch of aszzholes trying to sell you crap and wont accept returns etc). they do need to work on the whole inventory thing because that is the biggest complaint you hear and i have dealt with it myself. i am just saying that its a good business and people should give more points for customer service, which bb is excellent at.

mtbr member
    http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united...7_6223crx.aspx
    http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united...4_6223crx.aspx
    http://sandiego.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Repo...&firm=17001362

I wouldn't take a chance with a shop with these kind of records.
    All scam artists talk cool and sweet if you ask me.

Other companies handle more volumes than Beyond but have less or no complains.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike

This is a plug for BB and to tell people to chill out with the whining.
    Aren't you whining about the "whiners" right now?

Texan
    Wheres my freeking tires I ordered May 27th then?

"Its All Good"
    wisbike - good luck bro.... I mean at this years online retailer of the year nominations, there was not one for Beyond Bikes.... Good to hear you have had good service.

But in reality, trying to tell the peeps of MTBR what you are trying to say is very much like pushing sh!t up hill......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    ...or trying to tell people the advantages of investing in Enron.

mtbr member
    Not to mention they got great legacy from a legendary on-line retailer Bike-pro.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    After three orders, I never had an awful experience with BB, other than the constant overcharging (usually by about a dollar on many items). Kerry was, uh, "fun" to deal with on the phone, and my orders arrived within a few days to a couple of weeks -- nothing unexpected.

But combine that with the horror stories posted here plus a cool scumbag move:

Beyond registered aebikes.com (with an 's') and redirected the traffic to their website. I've been a customer of the real <a href="http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=64">aebike.com</a> (no 's': Alfred E Bike in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a respectfully run small shop) for a number of years. That move cost BB any further business from me.

BB probably underestimated the bad PR this fraud would eventually cause, and has since stopped the redirect. It's now a dead URL, though if you perform a WHOIS seach, you'll find it's still registered to Beyond Outdoors. Scumbags.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...in=aebikes.com

I'd probably have given them the benefit of the doubt if they didn't have such a tarnished record, but there are a whole lot of honest businesses to choose from who are willing to compete for my money. I prefer to support them.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ...still waiting for a refund of an order placed in APRIL...

Yes, the guys and girls there are cool and friendly, but they deliver very poor service ... Took me a month before they understood they should/could trace a lost package, then had to call them to get some news, still didn't get my refund (although they promised me I would get it this week when I called again, but nothing yet...).

I prefer to pay a little more and get the goods instead of cheaper and poor service. Learned my lesson, never again....
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    BB is not bad, but that website is by far the worst in mountain bike creation.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71
    BB is not bad, but that website is by far the worst in mountain bike creation.
    www.ellsworthbikes.com

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    Wheres my freeking tires I ordered May 27th then?
    Gary, are you unable to pick up the phone to call them and cancel the order?

Its not difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    That's a load of poo right there Jerk_Chicken. The Beyond Bikes sight is terrible because it was designed by a million monkeys at a million keyboards typing a million lines of code a day to try and create the worlds best website(tm) while the ellsworth sight is terrible because it is a carefully calculated plot to keep a brother down.

get it right man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beyond Bikes is about as crooked and incompetent an operation as you can find. Saying Beyond Bikes rocks is worse than saying OJ is a gentle giant. Stay away from the crooks!!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My experiences with them have ranged from very good to extremely f'ed up. I loved going to the store and picking an item off the shelf only to be told I could not buy it because it had sold online. This happened 3 times. They also take no action to protect your personal data. When you go in they ask for your name, then they read you your address and charge your card without confirming your ID. If you know the name of anyone who shops there you can get free stuff. I gave them a friends name and address and got a new saddle. (I paid him back) I have complained directly to the management and I have seen no improvement. I also had to dispute 2 charges on my credit card after the items did not arrive and they did not remove the charges after almost 3 months.

mtbr member
    Cough, may I have your name please or maybe your friends?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am in San Diego. I went to their retail location. The people there were super cool and gave me some killer deals. The helped me out alot and had alot of inventory. As far as being good online. i have no clue, but before i order ANYTHING online i call and make sure they ACTUALLY have it instock BEFORE i order ............... its always buyer beware with any online ordering.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    Gary, are you unable to pick up the phone to call them and cancel the order?

Its not difficult.
    Why should I call them? Im the customer! and Ive e mailed them several times with no response yet.

Dirt Huffer
    I really hope people that have had bad experiences with Beyond Bikes report them to the BBB. The government should shut these scam artists down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    I really hope people that have had bad experiences with Beyond Bikes report them to the BBB. The government should shut these scam artists down.
    Come on now, are we really so pathetic we need the government to come and rescue us from our own stupidity? Beyond Bikes warnings are well document and long running. If people continue to order from them, really, Beyond Bikes is providing a service, by parting them from their money before they hurt themselves.

For those that have ordered from them and continue to so without issues, great, I'm happy for you. I'm not that risky though and will continue to shop their sight and use it to price match more reputable dealers.

They will either improve or the market will push them out. The last thing we need is the government coming in to tell us where we can and can't shop though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    fuel to the fire:

i ordered a thomson stem on 8/13. it was out of stock. they emailed me on ~8/19 to tell me so and asked that i call them. i did so. they wanted to know if i would wait, or cancel the order. i said cancel. my CC refund posted today (8/22).

what's the problem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is an old saying ...........

Great prices
    Great service
    GREAT inventory

Now pick two and that is what you get ..................... most of the time with any company.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by V2PRODUCTS
    Here is an old saying ...........

Great prices
    Great service
    GREAT inventory

Now pick two and that is what you get ..................... most of the time with any company.

That is not true nowdays. I can think of three companies off the top of my head that provide all three, Jenson, Pricepoint, and Mountain High.

I don't get why people continue to use BB given the constant problems. I am beyond belief at the people that will post, "I used them 3 times and haven't had a problem yet." I view it as analogous to the person that says, I've shot up heroin 3 times and haven't gotten AIDS yet from sharing the needle, so I will just keep doing it. Given BB's reputation it is only a matter of time. Why deal with a place that is gets it right 80% of the time and has problem 20% of the time, when you can deal with places that get it right 99.9999% of the time, ship the same or next day, and have comparable prices.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Aren't you whining about the "whiners" right now?
    Quit whining about the whiners who whine about the whiners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Just an FYI, the BBB has the power to do nothing. They are a privately owned "watchdog" group funded by a bunch of businesses who happen to also be members of the BBB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike
    When I order I always call, and I have also called asking when my items will ship. i have probably talked to a different person every time ive called and every one of the guys that work there are super nice and super cool.

See... I have never ordered from BB so I can't speak from direct experience. Of all the things I have read from BB, people that have a good experience almost always say that they have called and talked to a bunch of people to make sure things are right, etc...

The fact that you have to call to make sure things are right is EXACTLY one of the reasons I don't deal with them. With all the other retailers I have dealt with it's pretty simple: make order and then receive stuff. Period.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie
    fuel to the fire:

i ordered a thomson stem on 8/13. it was out of stock. they emailed me on ~8/19 to tell me so and asked that i call them. i did so. they wanted to know if i would wait, or cancel the order. i said cancel. my CC refund posted today (8/22).

what's the problem?

Simple: The problem is they charged your card without having the stem in inventory and before shipping.

Of the sites I have used (Jenson, Speedgoat, Performance, Pricepoint) none of them has done that in the past. They only charge the card when they are shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have no doubt that all the bad experiences I have read about are real. I have always been fortunate to deal directly with Zach at BB and have not had a problem once - great service, awesome prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I remember when Zach first started at BB. He came on here posting how amazing BB was and then started to attack members when they posted negative experiences. Big mistake- he got torn a new one and I think it was Kerry who told him to not post here anymore.

Speaking of Kerry, didn't he open his own bike shop with a few other guys? Anyone know the name of that shop. Tony Ellsworth's relative (bro-in-law maybe) owns BB so it is no surprise it is a bit shady. A lot here have mtnhighcyclery, redbarnbicycles, and fullcycles to go to and they usually beat BB- just have to ask.

I'm curious to know what shop Kerry started though..I bet they try to keep their prices lower than BB and already have the purchasing contacts anyway, along with lower overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer

I'm curious to know what shop Kerry started though..I bet they try to keep their prices lower than BB and already have the purchasing contacts anyway, along with lower overhead.
    He opened a shop called Bike Bling. Unfortunate choice of initials!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bike Bling instead of Beyond Bikes

He is practically doomed from the start, on mtbr anyway. Could the name get any sillier!

They probably get foot traffic they take from Beyond Bikes. So maybe those who want to shop at BB and get a special deal they are advertising can start to call Bike Bling now. The chances of getting screwed have to be lower.

"Its All Good"
    Its not so much being screwed it is when they make you bleed.......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer

They probably get foot traffic they take from Beyond Bikes.
    ...and maybe phone orders, too?

It looks like he somehow kept the 1-800-BIKEPRO telephone number, which I believe carried over from Beyond and prior to that, his shop up in Tahoe (?).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Has anybody noticed something about their website almost makes their computer crash? Just slow or sticky or something

the train keeps rollin
    Universal, Redbarn, or Mtn High Cyclery, why go elsewhere?
    beaver hunt

Wanderer
    Why should I call them? Im the customer! and Ive e mailed them several times with no response yet.

Well have fun waiting and being frustrated.

I did a large order, 2 items were out of stock so I called them, quickly got a CS person who was nice and canceled the order. Then I went to the REI labor day sale and bought everything I had on order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby
    Just an FYI, the BBB has the power to do nothing. They are a privately owned "watchdog" group funded by a bunch of businesses who happen to also be members of the BBB.
    Not only that but they also censor complaints! They completely changed few of my complaints! In cases of complaints where you are so sick of dealing with the merchant and you no longer are looking for a resolution BBB will close the case and wouldn't bump up the number of complaints for the merchant. BBB is a SCAM! You better let it go or climb up the food chain. This is very sad.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    I second that.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I am one of those Beyond Bikes whiners

but in the end I got my shet.

With Beyond Bikes you can't be in a hurry and have to call, not e-mail for additional back order info as I found out after 3 weeks of waiting and receiving their E-mail back order notices, come to find out, one quick call I got a hold of a rep who let me know my whole order was hung up due to back ordered chain lube, he offered to cancel & credit the whole order or just cancel the lube and give me free shipping, 3 days later I had my stuff.

I will use them again if what I want is cheaper there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    their website is slower than Christmas, customer service blows, but their prices blew everyone out of the water today when i was doing a bunch of quotes on a build, but one cant ignore how bad they are...thank god for price match..

Fragilie

Bike Bling

Quote Originally Posted by Onealjc
    their website is slower than Christmas, customer service blows, but their prices blew everyone out of the water today when i was doing a bunch of quotes on a build, but one cant ignore how bad they are...thank god for price match..

I placed an order with Bike Bling over the web on Friday without checking stock, Kerry called me that day to inform me that they didn't have it in stock and asked me to hold on the phone for a few while he tried to locate one. He called all the big wholesalers and located one for me. It was the new RS Revelation 426 with Maxle. I should have it by Thursday. So to say the least, I'm very pleased with them so far.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    You should still report to BBB, not all consumers are members of MTBR.

mtbr member
    Also, it is against Mastercards and Visa's policy to ask for ID. If a retailer denies a transaction due to lack of ID, that retailer can be fined heavily by MC or Visa.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I'm kinda pissed about my order. I placed it on thrusday and it took three days to process! then on top of that it is taking 5 days to ship, even though I live in Idaho and it should be only 3 days. I thought i'd have it today, but wont have it till monday or maybe tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Members who have read this thread: 0