Best place for 180mm rotors?- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Best place for 180mm rotors?

Currently running a set of Ashima V2 rotors (180mm) that are due for replacement as I have been riding on them for close to 4yrs now. I am running them on Shimano M615(?) calipers and was looking to upgrade to some Shimano XT rotors but the question is, where is the best place/price for them?

mtbr member
    Shimano XT RT76 6-Bolt Disc Rotor | Chain Reaction Cycles

These are cheaper than Shimano dealer price in the US. Two rotors should get you above the free shipping threshold too.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    Shimano XT RT76 6-Bolt Disc Rotor | Chain Reaction Cycles

These are cheaper than Shimano dealer price in the US. Two rotors should get you above the free shipping threshold too.
    They are that price all over. Jenson has them, ebay, etc. Except maybe local bike shops thats about the going price for XT rotors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Short-Change-Hero
    Is the only difference between the RT-76 and the RT-86 is that the latter has the "Ice-Tech" technology?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Is the only difference between the RT-76 and the RT-86 is that the latter has the "Ice-Tech" technology?
    They are both IceTech. The RT-86 is a downhill specific rotor and a bit heavier.

Short-Change-Hero
    They are both IceTech. The RT-86 is a downhill specific rotor and a bit heavier.
    Ok that makes sense... Saw one or two vendors that called them "Saint" rotors but didn't see them elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Ok that makes sense... Saw one or two vendors that called them "Saint" rotors but didn't see them elsewhere.
    Yes, 'Zee' and 'Saint' are downhill, SLX and XT are xc/trail, and XTR is for dentists and golfers who are branching out to mountain biking

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Unless you're doing long descents or are overly concerned about weight, might as well save the cash and get the plain ole steel ones. RT-66 is close to half the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Unless you're doing long descents or are overly concerned about weight, might as well save the cash and get the plain ole steel ones. RT-66 is close to half the price.
    I've had really bad luck with the RT66's on my commuter. Am I the only one? Constantly warping, very poor braking (using ice-tech resin pads in XT calipers).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I've had really bad luck with the RT66's on my commuter. Am I the only one? Constantly warping, very poor braking (using ice-tech resin pads in XT calipers).
    Same.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Dunno. I've been running them a while on one bike with no problems (and they were used when I got them). The last time I remember getting warped rotors was the old Avid/SRAM roundagons, but we don't have any prolonged descents where I ride either.

I did kill an RT-86 by putting a dent into it (bumped a rock or something fell into the caliper, not sure). It didn't take much since I didn't even feel it until I tried to brake and there was nothing there. Luckily, it was the rear and I limped back to the parking lot using just the front.

Short-Change-Hero
    Eh dont mind spending a little extra for the bling factor of the XT RT-76. Have a pair of the RT-66 on my commuter that have been on that bike for about 8yrs without issue but that doesn't see the hard riding that my trail bike does. Trail bike has always had the light weight Ashima's but with both having slight warps now after 4yrs of riding and I could feel the lack of braking power last ride I figure, everything else got upgraded this month, might as well do this and have fresh brakes for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The RT-76 is not IceTech and is heavier than the RT-86.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    The RT-76 is not IceTech and is heavier than the RT-86.
    My Bad, you're correct, this equates to SLX vs XT. Saint is M820 like the rest of the Saint group. I run the RT-86 (XT) and it is worth the price.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok cool. Newer trails I am riding, plus new skill/speed is heating up my rotors more than I used to so figuring that the new IceTech rotors plus new semi-metallic pads (been running sintered forever now but we are getting into dry season) should be a nice little upgrade for the time being. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok cool. Newer trails I am riding, plus new skill/speed is heating up my rotors more than I used to so figuring that the new IceTech rotors plus new semi-metallic pads (been running sintered forever now but we are getting into dry season) should be a nice little upgrade for the time being. Thanks everyone.
    I've had great luck with the Shimano ice-tech resin pads and they're not as hard on the rotors. Just playing devil's advocate...semi-metallic will be a good choice too.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well just placed the order with Jenson for the RT-86. Found the Ice-tech semi-metallic on eBay for cheap but going to do some digging around to see if I can find them cheaper. Running M675 SLX brakes and seems like the finned ice-tech pads will fit them. Always run sintered TruckerCo pads and had good luck but figured I would give something else a try, may go with DiscoBrakes as I know a lot of people like that brand as well.