Best Option In Building A MTB As Per $ Saved...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best Option In Building A MTB As Per $ Saved...

I'm planning on purchasing a high end bike with all the best components I can find. When a LBS builds the bike, do they purchase the parts for a considerable discount, and besides what you are paying for the work hours put into the build, are the prices of the parts also jacked up?

For instance if I can purchase a Chris King Titanium NoThead Headset for $259.00, will the bike shop charge me this price, or purchase the parts for a lot less, and hit me for even more? I see rather large price fluctuations in parts, depending from whom the parts are purchased.. The prices here in Europe are a lot higher than in the states, even for products manufactured in Europe.

Should I just hunt down the best deals, and on a spread sheet let the LBS know what I can get the part for and for how much, and pay retail?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From my experience, a good high-end bike builder will get items at cost and mark them up less than if you were to pay cost and then shipping on top of it. I had a build all spec'd out, called Chad at Red Barn and he beat it (without me even going thru what I had spec'd).
    I think they take less of a mark up on parts since they are doing the volume thing on an entire bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great... Thanks for the input, CZ!

mtbr member
    yeah, your lbs will probably cut you a break if you buy a whole bike worth of loose parts from them, especially if you have them put it together.

The catch is, most LBSs don't do the kinds of volume that some mail/internet order houses do (so they pay less wholesale), so even with the discount you may not be getting the best prices.

When I built up my last bike I watched for sales and good prices on the parts I wanted for nearly a year. This requires a lot more patients than most people can muster, but the only parts I paid move than about 60% retail where the frame and saddle, many parts I paid a lot less, and it's exactly what I wanted.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I remember my LBS speaking to me about building up a bike with all XTR stuff. He said buying the group as a whole (back when they didn't have the stupid integrated brake/shifter combo) that it would cost me a LOT less. As well, he said to look into buying a bike that had similar parts to what I wanted and he would part it out for me cheap.

Not sure how this would work out compared to eBay / intarweb / etc pricing, but an idea. I know he managed to scoop an older Norco bike for a customer but the bike was packed solid with XTR. Apparently the guy saved 50% of the bike's cost (he moved all the Norco bits he wanted onto his frame) compared to the CHEAPEST he could find it anywhere else (online incl.).

mmm
    my LBS takes 20% off the list price of all parts if building through them. Just ask....worse case is they say no.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

One Gear
    Find everything that you want and get the best price possible. Add it up and use it for a reference. A couple of hours of work will give you a good baseline when you go to the LBS. There are lots of sales on 2007 stuff to make way for the 2008 parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just got a 2007 Yeti ASR-SLC from Full Cycles and got over 30% off everything including all my upgrades. Saved well over 1k.

I may have been able to find a used one for that. but certainly not built one myself.

Members who have read this thread: 0