best budget FS frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New question here. best budget FS frame?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a decent FS frame to build up my and my girlfriends ride. (Trail riding, some XC, nothing extreme i guess)
    I was looking into the Weyless XP frame and if there is anything else from different vendors avaliable in that price range.
    Or is this pretty much it?

Thanks for any advice
    Martin

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    I picked up the weyless xp (progressive air shock) from supergo... I picked it up last weekend, and I must say I am very impressed with the build quality of this frame. The burnt orange is applied evenly throughout the frame and looks great. Even comes with a little touch up bottle
    the welds look solid and I'm sure we'll get many miles out of this frame . Can hardly wait to build it up and take it for a rip next season....
    for now I've got to give 5 flamin' chillies, as at this price there is simply nothing else outthere worth looking at
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member

K2

K2 razorbacks are going cheap on ebay - light and get great reviews

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    K2 razorbacks are going cheap on ebay - light and get great reviews
    No they dont, they get reviews about them breaking and then taking ages to get fixed. Check out the MTBR reviews of them.

I was tempted by the Weyless supergo special. The whole bike for $1000 looks like a laugh. The components are worth more than the price of the bike.

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...604&referpage=

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie
    No they dont, they get reviews about them breaking and then taking ages to get fixed. Check out the MTBR reviews of them.
    I checked, there's no such reviews for the 2001 Razorback 3.0s/4.0s which is what ediscount has been clearing out on ebay. In fact, all the reviews for that year have been praising the frame. I own one of the 3.0s myself (only diff with the 4.0 is the color, 3's are blue/white, 4s are green/white) and its been great.

Perhaps you should excercise some brains before posting next time.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight

Perhaps you should excercise some brains before posting next time.
    So should you!

The guy does not state a model.

I have read a few reviews like this:

Submitted by David a Racer from Long Beach
    Date Reviewed: 5/10/02 10:47:23 AM

Duration Product Used:
    Less than 1 month

Strengths:
    None, Cross-Maxx

Weaknesses:
    Heavy, subject to fialure, no tubeless tires, sluggish

Bottom Line:
    The shock failed the first ride and I sent it back to k2. The shock has been at K2 for 9 weeks and they keep giving me the run around. Peter is the only customer service rep and he told me that the are having about a 70% failure rate on the shocks. The bottom line is that this is the second Razorback that I have owened in two years, my 01 cracked twice and the shock blew 4 times. K2 would only fix the shock once and I was forced to pay all the other times, they have the worst cutomer service and you will have the same guy working on snowboards and skates working on your bike.....I should have learned form the first bike, and another thing is every K2 gets bad write-ups in the Mags, be be carefull and do yourself a favor and buy bike from a bike company not a rollorblade company.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Ful...ct_85287.shtml

but it is an older model.

I thought about getting one a while back, but the preponderance of them on ebay for really cheap made me more than suspicious.

I am glad you like yours and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Hello Martin

I will second the weyless xp for a cheap all mountain frame. I am very please with it so far. Check out my other posts regarding this frame. Other frames to look at are Jamis xlt. Also check out ebay and greenfish.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...S&Category=273
    If you don't like my opinion, find someone's you do like...or even better create your own.

Map Maker

weyless XP

Quote Originally Posted by joisey04
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a decent FS frame to build up my and my girlfriends ride. (Trail riding, some XC, nothing extreme i guess)
    I was looking into the Weyless XP frame and if there is anything else from different vendors avaliable in that price range.

Thanks for any advice
    Martin

I bought a Weyless XP a month or so back for 399$ and I am very pleased with the over all quality of the frame. the orange paint looks good and the welds look clean and strong.
    I heard that this frame is made in the same factory overseas that the santa Cruz frames are made.
    I would recommend this frame for a good cheap build. The progressive 5th element air shock is icing on that cake for a single pivot bike!
    if you or your girlfriend don't ride anything too extreme I'd look at the SP as well. less travel and a little more XC oriented.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Wow, ever since supergo had the sale for 399 and 329, everyone is coming out with their xp's. How does it ride with the 5th air? I upgraded mine to a coil over and never got a chance to ride the air. Would have liked to compare them.
    If you don't like my opinion, find someone's you do like...or even better create your own.

So should you!
    My brain works fine, yours apparently does not.

The guy does not state a model.
    It was listed under the razorback SL so the model is obvious.

I have read a few reviews like this:

Submitted by David a Racer from Long Beach
    Date Reviewed: 5/10/02 10:47:23 AM

Duration Product Used:
    Less than 1 month

Strengths:
    None, Cross-Maxx
    The moment he listed crossmaxes as a strength it should have been obvious that it wasn't the 3.0s or 4.0s as they didn't come with crossmaxes. Only the SL Carbon in 2002 had the crossmaxes. In other words... NOT the frames being sold on ebay (the 2002 and 2001 frames are very different). The fact its under the SL reviews as I already mentioned is besides the point now, its obvious you can't read, or read very selectively.

Weaknesses:
    Heavy, subject to fialure, no tubeless tires, sluggish
    Heavy?! LOL... that's comical. The 2001 frames are 5.5 pounds, the 2002s are lighter than that, especially the SL Carbon frame. There;s very little in production XC full suspension bikes from any brands lighter than the razorbacks. Some of the complaints on the 2002s were from folks taking them to DH courses and jumping them, which as XC bikes, they were never designed for doing.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    when i was looking into getting the razorback last year I researched them and came away thinking the only problem with the bike was

1. Proprietary shock
    2. Limited travel

I ended up getting a sugar because I got a screaming deal on it.
    I suggested it for the guy's girlfriend because it meets her needs:
    a.light
    b.cheap
    c. great design (do a search on turner stinger)

I still think it would be a great bike for anyone's girlfriend unless she is a two hundred pound freerider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    My brain works fine, yours apparently does not.

It was listed under the razorback SL so the model is obvious.

Yeah you are a genius and I am a fool. What I meant was there was no mention of razorback model on this site till you brought it up, which was after my initial post about razorbacks. But enough of the pissing match. What your post does point out is:

The razorback is a very different bike to the weyless. It seems to me that you should know whether you want a cross-country style full suspension or more of a freeride all mountain type....

I bet the average Razorback weighs 8lbs less than that weyless....

Hail to the King, baby

Might be too big for the GF, but...

Hi All,

Thanks for any advice
    Martin
    You might want to check this out. If your GF is very tall, then you could be OK. They only list 19" and 21" sizes.

http://richardsbicycles.com/site/ite...t=Price%20desc

old_dude

MK_
    carpe maņana

Used vs new

I would think long and hard about getting a low price point full suspension frame. The initial build quality might be good, but there are lots of moving elements in that frame, which when execulted on the cheap, do not last very long. I would advise you to consider a quality used frame. I am not sure what your budget is, but there are great deals to be had on high quality frames which last many many years. To make a comparison to cars, this is like buying a brand new kia versus buying a used honda or a benz for the same money. You are the one which has to decide which makes more economic sense to you.

If your girlfriend is not likely to put many miles on the bike, then the durability of the grame might not be as key. You should also consider a potential resale value, as this is a component of the total cost of ownership.

Finally, be weary of bearings in the pivots. Bearings are designed to spin continuously in a circle, a full suspension frame has a very limited range of movement, stressing only a small section of the bearing, causing a fairly rapid wear in it. Bushings, while heraled by most as an inferior solution, but championed by such great framebuilders as Dave Turner, last much much longer as well as produce a much stiffer rear end (laterally).

_MK

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Finally, be weary of bearings in the pivots. Bearings are designed to spin continuously in a circle, a full suspension frame has a very limited range of movement, stressing only a small section of the bearing, causing a fairly rapid wear in it. Bushings, while heraled by most as an inferior solution, but championed by such great framebuilders as Dave Turner, last much much longer as well as produce a much stiffer rear end (laterally).

_MK
    I gotta argue this. Buying a used bike or frame is like buying a used car.... hit or miss and you often loose the warranty. I'd go with cheap new.

Turner's frames have good bushings but whomever it may like it or not the best pivots in the market are the ones on the Marin bikes with the Quad Suspension. Full Compliment Bearings are designed just for an application like frame pivots (low speed, high load, limited rotation).

I've seen some killing Marin frames on adrenalinebikes.com (400-600 bux).

Another cheap-arse quality frame is the KHS FR1500/FR2000 which is going out at around 400-500 bux with adjustable travel between 4-5-6 inches and Romic shock. I've seen one from close and the craftmanship and finishes are pretty decent.

Heck!! There are even some Giant VT frames at 600 somewhere (advertised in MBAction).

The Weyless XP looks sweet thou....
    Check my Site

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    I think they sold a bunch of them... and why shouldn't they.. @ 329/frame and shock where the shock alone is worth more??? unfreekinbelivable... my girls first full and she'll be riding on the 5th air
    how does it ride with a coil??? I have a bud that could use the 5in. but would rather go coil
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Rides great. It feels very plush but doesn't bob whilse pedaling much. I have a dakar pro with vanilla rc propedal and it feels similar whilse pedaling. I followed the heckler setup from progressive and haven't had to change to much except I prefer a heavier spring. The dampening feels great. It softens the hits alot more than my dakar but doesn't pack up or try to buck you on big hits. In stutter hits or rock gardens it feels very well behaved, but I think this is due to the zocchi z1fr in the front. It feels very matched.

Tell your buddy to get it and call progressive up to swap out to the coil. The charge you the difference between the shock price. I still only paid for the shock at 329 plus the upgrade. And if he doesn't want the 5way he can probably get one of the newer coil overs for less. I prefer the coil over to any air shock since I am a clydsedale and worry about killing the shock even though the air shocks have come a long way. I even have a vanilla rc propedal to swap out to if I have an issue with the 5th, but am loving the 5th so far. I thought for that cheap a frame/shock there had to be something funky with the frame but I am totaly impressed with the quality and the ride. If I had to gripe about anything, it would probably be the paint. Scratches and scuffs easily, but that means I ride my bike:-)

Hail to the King, baby

Check the specs

Hi All,

Thanks for any advice
    Martin
    One more thing. Check the bottom bracket size, front derailleur mounting diameter, and headset type, for the frames you intend to buy, since a mismatch with the components that you intend to move onto those new frames will mean added cost in new parts.

Also, if you want rear disc brakes, make sure the frames have the IS disc brake mounts.
    Many bargain frame deals are on frames with no rear IS disc brake mounts.

old_dude

MK_
    carpe maņana

One more thing

One other thing. You should stay away from Jamis frames. I've seen quite a few Dakar bikes on trails in colorado where the chainstays have snapped at the weld by the rear wheel. And these were on cross country trails, bikes ridden by older guys.

_MK

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hi All,

Thanks for any advice
    Martin
    Especially after reading the replies, I would instead focus on a light weight rather than full suspension. I feel a relatively light weight properly sized bike could/would be ideal ... would be a 'keeper' .... much more than a 'budget' FS bike that is bound to have compromises .....

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    thanks for the info.. I'm sure I'll be ordering another xp real soon so progressive will take the shock and upgrade it to a coil +cash, eh??? that's amazing thanks
    I Ride, I Know

Yeah you are a genius and I am a fool. What I meant was there was no mention of razorback model on this site till you brought it up, which was after my initial post about razorbacks. But enough of the pissing match. What your post does point out is:
    No mention in this thread perhaps, but on this site? Boy you live a sheltered life it seems. There's been dozens of mentions of razorbacks on mtbr over the past few years.