Because paying for gear sucks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Because paying for gear sucks

Troy and I have been working on a price bot and just released the beta version for mountain bikers.

Basically this allows you to automatically find the lowest prices on over 1,700 components.

Spadout Mountain Bike Price Tool

We currently index 190,000 mtb prices from: Beyond Bikes, Bike Company, Bike Parts, Bike Smart, Cambria Bike, Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist, EMS, Jenson USA, Nashbar, Paragon Sports, Performance Bike, Price Point, Proctor Jones, Randall Scott, REI, Richard Bicycles, Trek Bike Store, Web Cyclery, Wheel World

Now that we have the beta up, we are looking for feedback (both positive and negative) from mountain bikers.

1. What (other) stores would you like?
    2. Would you like us to monitor product categories other than components (i.e. clothing)
    3. Any general suggestions? Problems?

This website is two guys straight out of college that are trying to avoid a 'real job'. Not a large corporation. This means that we will actually listen to your feedback and will reply to every post / email.

Thanks,
    Mark Silliman - Spadout.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think you need some sort of shipping calculator.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by timms
    I think you need some sort of shipping calculator.
    Thanks for the reply. This is in progress and should be available by the end of the week. We are also working with numerous of the companies, to obtain free shipping coupons.

We will also be adding a tax calculator.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Blue Sky cycling.

mtbr member
    Also, be nice to know if they are local to you state or not to avoid paying tax.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i second blueskycycling.com, as well as greenfishsports.com, ebikestop.com, and bob's bikes. Also, anyway to have a user-specified price range for better flexibility, like what is on ebay? And instead of categories leading to subcategories, can't you just make it simpler and have all categories (disc brakes and V-brakes, instead of brakes leading to all the other options). Just a personal thing though. Oh-and you could have a section listing very short term things like coupons, one-day clearances, stuff like that? Maybe a link to steepandcheap, since they have all kinds of stuff that belongs on your site? I keep adding stuff as I see it sorry--but under tires, the only refinement left is 29". I'd rather not weed through other tires to find a standard size, so maybe have tires/tubes>tires> then 26, 29, and other as the three options? Everything is looking really good guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some incorrect and misleading links. XTR M970 cassette is listed as $99, the link is to XTR v-brakes for $99. Avid Juicy Carbon brakes are listed for $100 as the best price. The link takes you to a site that is selling just the caliper assembly for that price. It llooks like the tool may be too automated to catch such errors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wakejunky – I am programming this (tax calculator) right now. It will be up in ~30 minutes.

Crazylax42 & Old Bullit Shot – Blueskycycling.com will be indexed tonight. Should be live in ~72 hours.

Crazylax42 – Sorry should have listed Green Fish Sports.com. They are already loaded. Coupon page coming soon. I 100% agree about the organization issues. This is partially due to a lack of man hours but nothing that 10 cups of coffee can't fix. We will get on this.

Mountain Bike – Ya, we are still refining some rules. The system literally “learns” and improves over time. Mtb data has only been in the system for ~20 days so this will take some time (1-2 weeks). But we added climbing about 6 months ago and now it is 99.999% accurate.

clyde in training
    nice work, this should be helpful

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    nice work, this should be helpful
    wakejunky - Tax calculator is live now (hows that for turn around time ~44 minutes). Just tell us what state you are in (left side below the products picture) and all the prices will be adjusted (if you will be taxed).

08nwsula - Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Greenfish, Sage, Universal

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Very useful, you might want to take a look at the stylesheet - on a Mac the text is a bit too big, see attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i'm not seeing anything wrong...it's exactly the way it looks in my firefox on a windows machine. ???

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

How about shipping up North?

Site looks good.
    Any way you can set it up for Canadian clients?
    Thanks
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    check out 'handlebars/headsets' on the left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy in Prague
    Very useful, you might want to take a look at the stylesheet - on a Mac the text is a bit too big, see attachment.
    Thanks for the screen shot! That really helps. I added spaces between the words so they would not be cut off. The font would have to be much smaller to make this work otherwise. People tend to really hate it when they cannot read the text so I try not to select smaller font sizes. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    problem with theses is that it doesnt take into account coupons?

edit:

error ahhh so misleading :-(
    http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=8135

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bob's Bikes, Down Shift Cycles, AEbike, ebikestop, Sage Cycles, bikemannetwork, universal, ebay, mojowheels, speedgoat, adrenalinebikes, icyclesusa, ride-this, bikesomewhere, full cycles, frankford bicycle, webcyclery, bikeisland

(some spellings might be off)
    Last edited by bigduddy; 04-30-2007 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    problem with theses is that it doesnt take into account coupons?

edit:

error ahhh so misleading :-(
    http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=8135
    Our system works with coupons. Example:
    http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=4447

Moosejaw offers a 5% coupon, so their price is adjusted. The "*" warns you about the use of a coupon.

Regarding the errors. Yep, this is still in beta. I promise that it will be much more accurate in a month. I fixed that particular issue.

Bigduddy - WOW! Thanks. I will get to work on the list.

100% recycled
    Lickbike.

What about overseas stores?
    starbike (DE)
    totalcycling (IRL)
    chainreactioncycles (GB)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Woah.. nice. is jenson usa, wheelworld, perf bike, and camria, pricepoint on there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yes. he said so on the Original post

go chase the sunset
    Uk sites. Please oh please oh please. There's so many of them. Mcconveys, evans, chain reaction, sjscycles, wiggle, gbcycles, bonthrone, cyclestore, and far more. If you could come up with something that worked, it'd be amazing.

mtbr member
    Universalcycles.com and fullcycles.com are both good, comprehensive sites.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great site markanite

Just one problem - I did a check on the "Ultimate Pro-Elite Repair Stand" and at JensonUSA it comes up as "Too Low to Display!" Unless you add the product to your cart, it won't show the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Add http://www.lickbike.com (I have no affiliation with them, I am just doing some google searching for some needed items.)

I just seen that they have a lower price on a Park tool kit by $55.03

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    awesome site! bookmarked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well for starters thanks for all the replies. This is what's going down (due to your replies):

INDEXING NOW (online in 72 hours)

blueskycycling.com
    bobs-bikes.com
    down shift cycles .com
    ebikestop.com
    sagecycles.com
    bikemannetwork.com
    universalcycles.com
    speedgoat.com
    adrenalinebikes.com
    ride-this.com
    bikesomewhere.com
    fullcycles.com
    frankford bicycle
    bike island

We had one request for the following stores. They are slightly "problematic" so if we don't receive a second request we will leave them out temporarily. If we do get a second request they will be added.

STORE - REASON
    AEbike - small online inventory?
    mojowheels.com - multi-window use
    icyclesusa.com - frames use

INTERNATIONAL STORES

This has been a request across all sports. So yes, we want to do it and no we are not trying to "leave you guys out". I need to write a major change in our system though to accept multiple currencies. Realistically this won't be available until close to xmas.

Problems with Prices

We are still tightening up our price system. Like I said this system is still beta (though I guarantee you accurate pricing is on it's way). That being said please tell us about specific price issues. 4 eyes can't catch all the errors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Very nice site. Once all the bugs are worked out over time it will be even better. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Such a cool site...thanks!

This makes window shopping a heck of a lot easier.

go chase the sunset
    Quote Originally Posted by markanite
    Well for starters thanks for all the replies. This is what's going down (due to your replies):

INDEXING NOW (online in 72 hours)

blueskycycling.com
    bobs-bikes.com
    down shift cycles .com
    ebikestop.com
    sagecycles.com
    bikemannetwork.com
    universalcycles.com
    speedgoat.com
    adrenalinebikes.com
    ride-this.com
    bikesomewhere.com
    fullcycles.com
    frankford bicycle
    bike island

We had one request for the following stores. They are slightly "problematic" so if we don't receive a second request we will leave them out temporarily. If we do get a second request they will be added.

STORE - REASON
    AEbike - small online inventory?
    mojowheels.com - multi-window use
    icyclesusa.com - frames use

INTERNATIONAL STORES

This has been a request across all sports. So yes, we want to do it and no we are not trying to "leave you guys out". I need to write a major change in our system though to accept multiple currencies. Realistically this won't be available until close to xmas.

Problems with Prices

We are still tightening up our price system. Like I said this system is still beta (though I guarantee you accurate pricing is on it's way). That being said please tell us about specific price issues. 4 eyes can't catch all the errors.
    Thank you! As long as you try and find as many of the UK smaller sites as well, I've no problem waiting till christmas. It'll be my new homepage.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    AEbike has a pretty big inventory I thought, plus they often have close to the best prices on a lot of gear. They'd be a pretty critical ommission I think.

100% recycled
    AEBike also has sweet shipping rates. Like charging me $25 when it cost them $60.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduddy
    AEbike has a pretty big inventory I thought, plus they often have close to the best prices on a lot of gear. They'd be a pretty critical ommission I think.
    I think most of the stuff on AEbike is just straight out of QBP ... anybody know for sure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This may be strange, but what about adding Amazon.com ? I seen a $110 savings over a "major" bike website on the same exact thing.

Something that may get you by as far as the currency exchange rate would be XE.com linked some how - that way you could have a temp solution for those people that are out side of the USD rate. As as added bonus, you wouldn't have to worry about the changing currency rates because it is always changing

banned
    Dec 2006
    Our system works with coupons. Example:
    http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=4447

Moosejaw offers a 5% coupon, so their price is adjusted. The "*" warns you about the use of a coupon.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2087274-10453324?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=NEW+-+Performance+Bicycle+" vspale=0></iframe><iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2087274-10461127?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=New+-+Bike+Nashbar" vspale=0></iframe>

Regarding the errors. Yep, this is still in beta. I promise that it will be much more accurate in a month. I fixed that particular issue.

Bigduddy - WOW! Thanks. I will get to work on the list.
    Site is comming along great

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    amazon doesn't have bike stuff directly, they just give you prices from another site...nashbar, rscycle.com and phattire.com come to mind

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afie
    AEBike also has sweet shipping rates. Like charging me $25 when it cost them $60.
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I skimmed this site to quickly and missed the major store. AEBike will be index

This may be strange, but what about adding Amazon.com ? I seen a $110 savings over a "major" bike website on the same exact thing.

Something that may get you by as far as the currency exchange rate would be XE.com linked some how - that way you could have a temp solution for those people that are out side of the USD rate. As as added bonus, you wouldn't have to worry about the changing currency rates because it is always changing
    As mentioned Amazon.com is a listening of other stores prices. Therefore we normally don't index them.

Regarding currency exchange: This is quite easy actually. But are non-US residents buying from US stores (often)?

mtbr member
    Nice site and we appreicate that you have included us. I have one question. We have a promo for 10% off all camelbak but this is not reflected in our price to the customer. How can we show this properly for the customers? all of our coupons are on this page: http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.I/id.24/.f

Thanks, Randall

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    umm i would think so, but I know that there are plenty of people in the US that like to buy from overseas, particularly the UK

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Scott Company
    Nice site and we appreicate that you have included us. I have one question. We have a promo for 10% off all camelbak but this is not reflected in our price to the customer. How can we show this properly for the customers? all of our coupons are on this page: http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.I/id.24/.f

Thanks, Randall
    Randall - Thanks for the feedback. I added your camelbak and shimano coupons. We use server side caching to reduce the load on our servers so you can expect all your prices to be updated in 12-24 hours.

Do you send out an email or any type of notice when you add a coupon? If so add us so we can keep you up to date. spadman NOSPAMPLEASE @ spadout.com

Brian
    You have been bookmarked!

Long Distance MTB

Pricepoint, AMAZON

Pricepoint does not seem to be included.

Amazon is not just a listing of other sites. When searching you can see at the left what store you want to narrow your search too. Select Amazon as the store and see lots of good prices.

I saw a topeak alien II for 25USD the other day. And a blackburn mammoth pump at 14. And with free shipping the cytomax is less expensive than in other places too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTracer
    You have been bookmarked!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!

Thanks! Changing the world one bookmark at a time.

------

I am going to add the currency exchanger as requested. This will take about a week to add.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    but under tires, the only refinement left is 29". I'd rather not weed through other tires to find a standard size, so maybe have tires/tubes>tires> then 26, 29, and other as the three options? Everything is looking really good guys!
    Sorry crazy, we haven't been ignoring you, the thing is that we've got 227 (and counting) tires, many of them come in multiple sizes, so Mark and I have been slamming our heads together trying to think of a good way to approach this problem.

Ideally I'd like to see a search tree something like this, with a couple different routes:
    Tire Diameter>Tube/Tubless>Width>Type

and

Tire Diameter>Tube/Tubless>Type

Unfortunately, at least for the time being our system is going to fall a little short of the ideal. I'm confident that we can get diameter and width laid to rest, but I think all we can do for now is narrow "types" by Off Road, Commuter, Ice/Snow, and Hybrid. I'm not going to be satisfied until I can narrow tires down into groups like "sand," "mud," "rock" etc.

Make no mistake, I'll figure out a way to do that... I just need to brainstorm a little more over it. Regardless, you should expect to be able to sort by diameters and widths by as early as this Sunday... depending on how much time I can commit this weekend. Pray for rain, cause if its bright and sunny outside, I'll prolly be on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    But are non-US residents buying from US stores (often)?
    There is a HUGE savings from buying from the USA on a lot of items - and that is after shipping, import tax, conversion rate, etc.

A lot of times the mark-up is double (and then some) of what the MRSP is compaired to what people are paying in the states.

I know I saved a lot of money buying motorcycle parts from the states than buying them out here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    I keep adding stuff as I see it sorry--but under tires, the only refinement left is 29". I'd rather not weed through other tires to find a standard size, so maybe have tires/tubes>tires> then 26, 29, and other as the three options? Everything is looking really good guys!
    Thanks again crazylax42. The Tire section has been greatly improved:

Tires

We are still working on the other issues. Thanks again guys. Your suggestions are invaluable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    much better! keep it up and your site will soon be my first stop when shopping!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhair
    There is a HUGE savings from buying from the USA on a lot of items - and that is after shipping, import tax, conversion rate, etc.

A lot of times the mark-up is double (and then some) of what the MRSP is compaired to what people are paying in the states.

I know I saved a lot of money buying motorcycle parts from the states than buying them out here.
    Currency conversion has been added now. When viewing any product, look under the image. "Select Currency". Our currency algorithms are updated (automatically) every night. Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This may be a far fetched idea but...
    if you could get your hands on a copy of QBP you could compare the prices shown to the wholesale cost showing a +- $ over wholesale.

I know being a shop employee I would love this because it would allow me to find these stupid cheap blowout deals that I cannot normally get working at a shop and give the normal joe a good way to gauge if he/she is getting a good deal.

mtbr member
    Impressive guys - keep it going. I find myself checking it frequently.

Will you be adding cycling clothes? Roadie parts?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quick Update.

Retailer Requests that are complete

blueskycycling.com, bobs-bikes.com, down shift cycles .com, ebikestop.com, sagecycles.com, bikemannetwork.com, universalcycles.com, speedgoat.com, adrenalinebikes.com, ride-this.com, bikesomewhere.com, fullcycles.com, frankford bicycle, bike island

We are still working on 8 retailers that were requested.

cyberjad - This concept is a good one. Nothing is "far fetched" for our team so don't worry about giving "impossible" suggestions (those are our favorites; because they give us the competitive edge). Here is the problem: MSRP is used completely differently across manufactures. (example: one manufacturer's products will almost always sell at MSRP and another manufacturer's product's MSRP is completely ridiculous). Therefore we are writing an equation that will watch a product's prices and try to determine what the "normal price" is for the product. Then we will be able to show you what dropped below "normal" and order it by %. This will be useful and a lot more accurate then MSRP. Great idea.

The downside with this is that to determine a normal price it will have to "watch" products for an extended period so the tool will take ~2 weeks.

jesterrider - cycling clothes? Yes we will be importing cycling clothes. The problem with these is the rate at which jerseys are introduced and expired from the industry is insane. But we just developed a program that literally "guesses" missing products and adds them with no user input. This makes monitoring "fast turn-over products" due-able which means clothes will be online in 3 weeks or less.

roadie parts? Oh ya. We are not trying to leave that half of the industry out. It is still in a "calvin" (below Beta) state. But no worries Road Bikers; we are coming.

Other news Spadout is writing a series of new algorithms that should greatly improve our accuracy in bikes (this will start kicking in, in the next week). We are on track to hit 2 million page views this month. The retailers have noticed this and are contacting us to bring their prices lower with coupons, promotions etc. This means that Spadout will be bringing you the lowest price on the net. Even lower than the retailers sites. Competition is a wonderful thing for the buyer.

Mark Silliman
    Spadout.com

mtbr member
    Troy and I have been working on a price bot and just released the beta version for mountain bikers.

Basically this allows you to automatically find the lowest prices on over 1,700 components.

you sir are a scholar and a gentleman, I don't care what anyone says.
    Just saved me a few $ and found a short cage X9 in stock at nashbar (no one else seems to have them, and my bike is currently neutered so I need it pronto).

Thanks
    Oh yeah, get AEBike in there if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.ebikestop.com/Home/

Best Thomson Masterpiece price I can find. Not much else but worth adding to the list.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build
    2015 Niner Bikes Ambassador; Chattanooga, TN

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Joules - thank you for the props. Just give me two more weeks and it will start showing what it can really do.

AEBike is being scanned while I write this. It's huge so probably two days (so I don't overload their server; that's not a good way to make friends on the internet).

Asahi - EBikeStop is our in our private server and will start fazing into the main server by tommorow. Thanks.

All I really appreciate the support / suggestions / and even "nothing is working"s. We are trying to make the best website for YOU (as opposed to ME). So keep the feedback flowing.

The following are ideas that were submitted via email that are in progress:

1. Is there a way to have a check box with each item to add it to "My Watch List"? Then I can load spadout, using my profile and all the items I'm interested in are displayed with the current lowest price and maybe the mini-graph?

2. add frames, build kits and clothing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So are you guys like the Amazon.com for MTB parts? Im always looking for free shipping to APO overseas. The euro prices here in Germany force me to order from the states but stuff lubes and other low cost items are not worth the shipping costs. The company that gives free shipping will dominate this business

mtbr member
    Label the search bar at the top. Right now it is just a blank bar with All to the right of it.

BTW, searched for Fox Sidewinder gloves (I need a new pair) and the site found all the retailers I had previously found. I typically use Froogle.com, Shopping.com, eBay, and BestWebBuys.com/bikes.

mtbr member
    NVM: You already have it.

suggest http://www.cambriabike.com/

mark
    Last edited by discfor1; 05-08-2007 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    An RSS feed for new gear on sale would be awesome.

Map Maker
    what about bike Frames? I don't see a listing for them.

GREAT site so far!
    very nice work!
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ALL Thanks for the feedback again. Due to all the requests we have gone ahead and released the beta section for Cycling Clothing and Frames & Bikes. Both sections are still in progress but already feature hundreds of products. BTW as a thank you for all your support / feedback we are offering to ship any bikers free stickers (yep, we pay to ship them to you). Free Stickers. It isn't much but it's what we got.

Flankwood: Free shipping to APO overseas? Is this any different than Free Shipping domestic (I thought that APO shipping rates were equivalent to demostic shipping rates). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lumbee1: Great comment regarding the search. It is so often easy to miss a usability problem with something that you designed yourself. I added (search here) to the search bar to make it more obvious. Hopefully now that we are adding dozens of new retailers, we will start showing you more information then the other resources. I added your glove: http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=14933

Discfor1: Thanks for the tip regardless!

HailRedSkins: Great idea. We are about 2 weeks out from having a reliable database of "normal prices". That database will allow us to warn you about "real" low prices. Would you prefer rss feeds for sub-sections of mtb or would an overall view suffice?

Cbchess: Thanks. The beta of frames is up: http://www.spadout.com/store.php?cat_view=1&cat_id=614

mtbr member

Cambria

Nice work! I used your search to find the lowest price on a Reba Race ($425 at Sage Cycles) and then used Cambria Price Smash to get it 5% cheaper ($403)

Thunder Chunky
    Nice work...thats for putting the effort in jsut to save some fellow bikers alittle bit of cash Just one suggestion...how bout ebay? any way to put that on there too? Or mabye just the "buy it now" s as teh auctions i would think would be hard to constantley update. I just know alot of the time i can find really good deals on there too. Thanks!!!! -Mad
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks again crazylax42. The Tire section has been greatly improved:

Tires

We are still working on the other issues. Thanks again guys. Your suggestions are invaluable.
    Can you add 29ers to the wheelsets section as well please

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    navymtbr - I am glad it worked out for you and good cross-store technique! Almost all stores offer a similar plan so I recommend doing this often.

Madman133 - Thanks. You know I hadn't thought about the "buy it now". Like you said auctions would not be practical (plus you really can't compare the prices because of course they are low until the auction is finished). I will look into it and get back to you.

Feclar - Great idea. Our bot only found two .. but we have a lot more loading asap. http://www.spadout.com/store.php?cat...548&stvc_id=42

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the currency conversion addition to the site

I have an idea that could make your life (along with all the visitors to your site) a lot easier.

Since you are just adding different sites by word of mouth, what about having doing something like this:

I just used your search engine for a specific product and noticed that I am able to get the same thing from someplace that is not listed and for less money (cost less, free shipping, hidden price, etc.).

What about adding a "Seen a better deal - let us know" type of thing - where the end user would put in the exact web address for the product that was searched and a comment about it - cost less, free shipping, hidden price, etc. ? Of course nothing would be added automaticlly because that would create a bunch of problems.

You will be giving others a nice warm fuzzy feeling because they were able to help improve the site.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So can anybody give me some feedback as to whether or not the main menu has too many categories or too few:

Bike Maintenance
    Bike Packs
    Brakes
    Computers / HRM's
    Cycling Clothing
    Cycling Hydration
    Cycling Shoes
    Drivetrain
    Frames & Bikes
    Handlebars / Headsets / Etc.
    Lights
    Pedals
    Pumps
    Saddles
    Safety
    Seatpost
    Shifting
    Shocks
    Tires/Tubes
    Wheels

I just added the "Bike Maintenance" section, and I definitely went with the more categories are better approach... which is kinda the way I'm leaning now, but there is something to be said for a really simple approach to the root menu like: "Bike Parts," "Bikes," "Clothes," "Bike Maintenance," "Accessories," "Safety Equipment," and "Bike Shoes." I wouldn't broaden any of my current categories, but try to keep the number of them presented at any one time down so it doesn't overwhelm the reader. Any feedback would be appreciated.

*I edited my post and took out the link in response to needcheap's objection, now anyone can give me their advice (or just ignore me and let the thread die... or keep bumping it with objections to us changing our website based on your responses) without actually going to the website. I value your input more then I do your traffic.
    Last edited by Tr0y; 05-12-2007 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It would be great if you could stop bumping this thread up. You are trying to make money by getting people on this list to use your links, and that is not allowed on this forum. How about you make a post when the site is actually working (with the correct prices) and then leave this forum alone?!

The Uberest of Micks.
    Great site! The only thing I can suggest is expanding the products, but am sure that'll come in time (for example, no listing for Hope Pro 2 hubs)
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
    - Oscar Wilde

go chase the sunset
    Go to http://chainreactioncycles.com/ or www.wiggle.co.uk if you want to find out how to get a menu that works properly. To be brutally honest, the design of your website seems very, very clunky and outdated. I think you need to be looking at hiring a proper front-end designer to come in and clean up the layout, and your logo is what, Times New Roman? Yerk. You're onto something which could become pretty damn big, if your algorithms are as good as you guys claim, don't let your layout hold you back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ubermick
    Great site! The only thing I can suggest is expanding the products, but am sure that'll come in time (for example, no listing for Hope Pro 2 hubs)
    Hey Ubermick, thanks for the compliment... I was busy importing all kinds of other brands and completely forgot about Hope. I haven't done a full import yet, but I added the pro 2 hubs just for you: http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=18043.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    Go to http://chainreactioncycles.com/ or www.wiggle.co.uk if you want to find out how to get a menu that works properly. To be brutally honest, the design of your website seems very, very clunky and outdated. I think you need to be looking at hiring a proper front-end designer to come in and clean up the layout, and your logo is what, Times New Roman? Yerk. You're onto something which could become pretty damn big, if your algorithms are as good as you guys claim, don't let your layout hold you back.
    Thanks for the site Ardent, I'll definitely compare notes. Believe me, for some time both Mark and I have been bashing our heads together trying to figure out how to make the site look better, but still retain the functionality necessary to be useful. We've been pushing out more and more content, and kinda let the aesthetics alone a bit. Ultimately, we figured gear heads would want a site that was useful, more then a pretty site. It also doesn't help that between Mark and I our artistic abilities end shortly after the stick figure level.

Regardless, this week we've been making some changes (ironically, about an hour before your post I was griping to Mark about the Times New Roman font)... thanks in no small part to your post, you kicked him over the edge to redo it.

Right now, we are looking for a graphic designer to give our site a facelift, the problem is that if we have to choose between useful and pretty... we're going to choose useful every time, and most graphic artists that we've met aren't really concerned about that. If you've got some talent, or you know someone that does, feel free to send them our way.

Thanks again for the input guys,
    -Troy

Devil Mtn
    the problem is that if we have to choose between useful and pretty... we're going to choose useful every time
    With all due respect to whoever suggested your site needs a facelift, you guys have the right idea ... a pretty, non-functional site is useless for your intended purpose. Keep it simple, clean and most of all functional! Good job with the site guys!

go chase the sunset
    Hmm.

The thing is you don't have to choose between useful and pretty. You need to talk to a good web-designer, who can tell you about how many clicks it should take a end-user from one area to another, and things like that. Functionality need not be compromised when adding elegance. As some examples, I'd say that Fox Racing Shox, Shimano and Specialized's websites have the balance quite right, yet SRAM (especially if you go into their avid brakes section) has the balance heavily on style above content. You don't want to be talking to a graphics artist for anything other than logo design really, you need to find yourself a good web designer who knows how to lay things out. Whether you like it or not, to draw in pageviews, actual click-thrus and even more importantly bookmarks/return visitors you need a decently slick and easy to access layout with clear easy to read font choice and menu design. Templated design etc... is a nono.

The real problem is that to find a designer who won't mangle either the content or make it even uglier (for want of a better word) will not be cheap. I've no idea how much money you've got budgeted for things like this. The background to my comments would be that I've done some web programming before, having sat behind a computer screen for most of my life, and my girlfriend does a lot of web design. You want to be finding someone who you can actually communicate your aims to and work with, and make sure that they know what they are doing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    you sir are a scholar and a gentleman, I don't care what anyone says.
    Just saved me a few $ and found a short cage X9 in stock at nashbar (no one else seems to have them, and my bike is currently neutered so I need it pronto).

Thanks
    Oh yeah, get AEBike in there if you haven't already.
    Aebike is finally indexed. Sorry this took so long. They have 19,000 pages and limit bots so it took longer.

NEW FEATURE (we weren't being lazy)

SpadTXT - Spadout goes Mobile! The power to not get ripped off, in the palm of your hand.

Details about SpadTXT

This tool will let you know any price data straight to your mobile phone over txt msg. Therefore if you a negotiating a deal in a bike store you can get the information you need to make good purchasing decisions. Especially if the store will match low prices. Txt msg Spadout with what you are looking for and it will return information about the low cost provider, how many stores sell the item and where to get more information.

Details are in the link above or just send a txt msg (response time of ~30 seconds):
    To: p@spadout.com
    Body: (Product's Name*)

*Tip: you don't need to type in the whole name. just 2 or 3 defining words. if it needs you to narrow it will prompt you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great site. I already bookmarked it.

Bike Geek

ediscountbike?

I did not see them on there.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    I did not see them on there.
    I just told our bots to scan them. ~ 72 hours and they will be up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Members who have read this thread: 0