Bad online vendor experience- Mtbr.com
    LCW
    mtbr member

No good Bad online vendor experience

Not sure where else to put this - mods move as necessary... but I feel I must share this.

I've bought stuff over the years from many various online bike "shops". Not always the big name ones like Jenson or TreeFort, but I've always tried to steer clear of the obvious ones that have prices way too good to be true, or ones that others have posted to avoid.

Bought a front derailleur (SRAM XX) from UNREAL. Was about 30% below retail - nothing crazy and nothing that seemed way too good to be true. Just one of the lower priced results that came up from Google (Froogle ie. now Google Shopping). So I get the thing, and it's f***ing used!!!! Wear marks on it and everything. Thrown in a proper XX box, but was torn and covered in greasy fingerprints. None of the original contents you'd expect (instructions, plastic piece that keep derailleur open for installation, etc.).

Emailed them about returning it. "Peter" responded said it must have been a mistake. Said they could refund or offer a replacement. Since the website has ZERO return address info in their return policy section (I should have paid closer attention to this in hindsight, before ordering). When I emailed back to ask for a return address, nothing. Repeated emails. Nothing.

Unreal is UNREAL alright. Not a real store. No return address. Just a f***ing scumbag mailing out sh***y parts.

Just want to warn the MTBR community about this ******bag crook and shady operation. No offense, but although they have a US phone number listed, they seem to be UK based. Again in hindsight, I should have avoided.

Maybe I'm being picky, but when I buy a bike part that is supposed to be new, I expect NEW. It's not like I bought a used part off ebay and complaining the condition is not as expected. This is a retailer. Obviously an extremely SHADY one at that.

This could be a take-off, but an extremely poor one at that, as it's taken off something that's been ridden.

Box as received:

Contents as received:

Wear marks:

Scratches on the black piece:

More wear indication:

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Call them

Don't just rely on email.

CONTACT INFO (from their website)
    - Toll Free: (800) 303 2927
    - Local: (650) 284 5045
    - Sales: [email protected]
    - Info: [email protected]
    - Open 9-5 Pacific M-F Closed weekends/holidays

I have nothing but good things to say about them. Pre-ordered a frame from them last year that was delayed multiple times by the manufacturer. They always returned my calls and emails when I was getting frustrated. Even waived their shipping fees as well as a discount as a sign of good will in the end when they really didn't have to.

mtbr member
    performance bike shipped me a well used sram black box gxp BB... Mangled 'teeth marks' from installation etc.
    charged me a restocking fee when I finally got credit.

My rule is now, only pay w/ paypal. Due to the bike stuff I get some preferred dealio (spend 5k/yr) Anything wrong now, paypal yanks the money quicker than any bank or cc does.

good luck.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Calling them scammers is pretty inflammatory. I've dealt with them in the past and have never had an issue. Like Mondo mentioned above, you should probably try giving them a call first.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matic Cycle
    Calling them scammers is pretty inflammatory. I've dealt with them in the past and have never had an issue. Like Mondo mentioned above, you should probably try giving them a call first.

No it's not. They tried to sell the OP a used/take-off item that they were marketing as new.

That's as much of a scam as anything else, and I won't be bringing my purchases to them anytime soon.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Looks like an OEM take-off that they shoved into a retail box.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin

Or maybe it was a return that was installed and then removed? Regardless, it's an "open box" item and should be sold as such.

I buy stuff like that all the time, but usually it's discounted a fair amount

tl1
    Bicyclist

Is this a joke post?

Seems like a serious over reaction to a few nicks which could have been inflicted by the pictured xacto knife for all we know.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Missing a few important retail items such as the manual, the plastic spacer, and even the obligatory marketing stickers and crap doesn't seem like a 'joke post.'

Should've been marked OEM or open-box as jtmartino said. I'd have paid 30-40% off retail for that kind of stuff, like most everyone else. But the OP was lead to believe it was new-in-box-for-retail.

At best a shipping eff-up followed by miscommunication.

At worst, the title of this thread.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matic Cycle

Selling used parts as new isn't inflammatory? I'd call them sh it bagg scammers too.

mtbr member
    I recently bought a frame from them for a great price and Peter was extremely responsive and helpful. Just one mans experience.
    anything Steel

tl1
    Bicyclist

Maybe but...

...I always suspect we're not getting the whole story when the kind of immature and wild name calling is used as in the original post. Maybe the guy is pissed off but if so take a few minutes to cool down before running off at the keyboard for cripesakes.

Unreal is UNREAL alright. Not a real store. No return address. Just a f***ing scumbag mailing out sh***y parts.

Just want to warn the MTBR community about this ******bag crook and shady operation. No offense, but although they have a US phone number listed, they seem to be UK based. Again in hindsight, I should have avoided.
    The guy offered to replace it but I guess that's not good enough and apparently placing an actual phone call to sort it out is not an option even though their phone number is on the top of their home page upper right in plain view and their contact info. is on the website as MondoRides mentioned.

http://www.unrealcycles.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I recomend Unreal Cycles to my friends

Peter, at Unreal Cycles has been great to deal with, and been there for me on a couple of bike builds. One late last year, and one just weeks ago. They are in Oregon, but on the phone you can make believe they are in the UK when you hear his cool British accent.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Looks like a take off from a complete bike. So, if it was 30% off retail what exactly is the problem again ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bought an On One frame/fork combo from Unreal cycles last year. They were great to deal with and would definitely do business with them again. Maybe it was an honest mistake. Give the guy a chance to make it right before trashing him and his business in this forum.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Looks like a take off from a complete bike. So, if it was 30% off retail what exactly is the problem again ?

It's a used part, hardly worth 70% of retail IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would have kept it and been perfectly happy. Who cares if it's a take-off? Not to mention the most important thing here: the guy said he would take it back when you had him on the phone. Just because they didn't respond to your email yet, you call it a scam?

Remind me never to work in retail.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutantclover
    I would have kept it and been perfectly happy. Who cares if it's a take-off? Not to mention the most important thing here: the guy said he would take it back when you had him on the phone. Just because they didn't respond to your email yet, you call it a scam?

Remind me never to work in retail.

Actually, it's the fact that Unreal sold the part as new, when it wasn't new. That's the scam. It's ridiculous to be misled on the condition of an item you are purchasing online, and it's a hassle to ship stuff back to an online vendor.

And with your complete lack of logic, you wouldn't last long in retail.

C'mon people, this is one of the most competitive times in history for businesses to sell their wares. Information can be found in seconds, and negative reviews affecting a website are published even faster. If I were an online vendor, I'd do everything possible to practice damage control so current customers do go hurt my future customer base on forums like MTBR.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Take off? I have used parts that look better than that. To advertise and sell that as new is a deceptive as it comes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm starting to wonder if this is some kind of joke. You really don't think that thing looks new?

You're right, I wouldn't last long selling jewelry like the OP apparently was intent on buying. Mountain bike parts, I'm sure I'd do just fine.

tl1
    Bicyclist

There's nothing new under the sun

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Actually, it's the fact that Unreal sold the part as new, when it wasn't new. That's the scam. It's ridiculous to be misled on the condition of an item you are purchasing online, and it's a hassle to ship stuff back to an online vendor.

And with your complete lack of logic, you wouldn't last long in retail.

C'mon people, this is one of the most competitive times in history for businesses to sell their wares. Information can be found in seconds, and negative reviews affecting a website are published even faster. If I were an online vendor, I'd do everything possible to practice damage control so current customers do go hurt my future customer base on forums like MTBR.
    It's all made from elements billions of years old dude. I guess the big issue was having a few shop worn marks on it, just ask the son of Dave.

Ecclesiastes 1

Everything Is Meaningless
    1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
    says the Teacher.
    “Utterly meaningless!
    Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
    at which they toil under the sun?
    4 Generations come and generations go,
    but the earth remains forever.
    5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
    and hurries back to where it rises.
    6 The wind blows to the south
    and turns to the north;
    round and round it goes,
    ever returning on its course.
    7 All streams flow into the sea,
    yet the sea is never full.
    To the place the streams come from,
    there they return again.
    8 All things are wearisome,
    more than one can say.
    The eye never has enough of seeing,
    nor the ear its fill of hearing.
    9 What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
    It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.
    11 No one remembers the former generations,
    and even those yet to come
    will not be remembered
    by those who follow them.
    Wisdom Is Meaningless
    12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.

13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind!

14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

15 What is crooked cannot be straightened;
    what is lacking cannot be counted.

16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.”

17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
    the more knowledge, the more grief.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+1&version=NIV

LCW
    mtbr member
    You can guys can argue that I'm over-reacting all you want. What you find acceptable is your own deal. If you accept receiving used merchandise when purchased something as new then all the power to you. I did not intently buy a take-off, open box, or otherwise not new part. To me this was unacceptable. A lot of this is a matter of principle. But a shop selling parts that aren't "new" usually has a whole section for such parts, and at way bigger discounts.

If this was a "mistake", well I'm not too impressed with how they check and/or sort their inventory before shipping. That in itself is a sign or a poorly run operation.

Flame away... I've said all I need to.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Uncle
    Hopefully by this Saturday's rapture, you'll have found peace in your heart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I worked in retail for 10 years, i would never expect a customer to be okay with receiving a used part when purchasing new nor would i accept it myself. Its normal in this industry to purchase used and take off's, but when you buy a new part you expect a new part, its that simple. I really dont understand how people say they would just keep it and not say anything or it looks good to them, maybe its just me but i dont like being ripped off. If you order new tires for your car or a new pair of shoes are you going to be okay if they arrived used? Im not.

If i order a burger for lunch it better not have a bite taken out of it, if you are okay with that then more power to you.

tl1
    Bicyclist

It still seems like a wild over reaction

Quote Originally Posted by LCW
    You can guys can argue that I'm over-reacting all you want. What you find acceptable is your own deal. If you accept receiving used merchandise when purchased something as new then all the power to you. I did not intently buy a take-off, open box, or otherwise not new part. To me this was unacceptable. A lot of this is a matter of principle. But a shop selling parts that aren't "new" usually has a whole section for such parts, and at way bigger discounts.

If this was a "mistake", well I'm not too impressed with how they check and/or sort their inventory before shipping. That in itself is a sign or a poorly run operation.

Flame away... I've said all I need to.
    ...to a cosmetic problem especially since they offered to exchange it and you didn't even bother to use a telephonic device to converse with them about it. You just went wild on the internet to call them everything in the book but rapists.

LCW
    mtbr member
    By all means, keep buying from them.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

LCW
    mtbr member
    to close this loop - I finally got a response and returned this. Got another from a different shop (Sage - great place, recommend!).

Turns out the FD from Unreal WASN'T EVEN THE CORRECT ONE!!! I had clearly ordered a 34.9 low mount, top pull. Now that I received the one from Sage, in new un-used condition I might add, I realize the one from Unreal was not even the correct part that I had ordered.

Here is the link to Unreal. No mention of open box, take off. Clearly labeled description of low mount/top pull. Well apparently they just send you what they feel like, not what you order.

https://unrealcycles.com/ProductDesc...ur-34.9&key=it

Here's a picture of what a low mount/top pull XX *should* look like (compared to the 2nd and 4th pic in my original post).

Correct one from Sage - low mount/top pull:

INcorrect one from Unreal - NOT low mount/top pull:

So to all the Unreal supporters - keep buying from them, and good luck. I guess you guys got lucky. My experience is they are unresponsive and deceiving. Sending out used parts, that aren't even the right ones. No return address posted anywhere on their invoice. I rest my case. So many other good online bike shops out there, I won't be making the mistake of ordering from Unreal ever again.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I buy almost 100% of my stuff online. My latest bike purchase was one of those I had to do locally.

The thing is discount or not, mint/new should be mint/new. Not just "well it's mint/new for the age or for the price".

If an item is a take-off it should be listed as such. Also, many items sometimes are not warrantied as a take-off.

The seller should have listed this as "SRAM XX, take off part, new". Then in the disclaimers of the site it should list "While all take off items have not been previously sold, they may have test ride wear and minor scratches from removal / inventory. Please call ahead for more details if needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Super. I hope you feel better now. I really with people would stick to posting "deals" on the Where Are the Best Deals forum instead of these pathetic whining b*tch fests.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Did you ever happen to think that the shipping department might have made an honest mistake...shipped you the wrong part and maybe even shipped your part to the person who was supposed to get the part you got?
    Talk about jumping the gun!

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomotivs
    Super. I hope you feel better now. I really with people would stick to posting "deals" on the Where Are the Best Deals forum instead of these pathetic whining b*tch fests.
    Being a whiny b*tch is exactly what you're doing yourself now...

If you're looking for deals, ignore posts that aren't titled as deals. I clearly explained I put this post here because there is not other "buyer beware" forums on this site. Maybe in your world, all bike shops are honest and caring, but in the real world, that sadly isn't the case. So save me the rhetoric and go preach in the socio/economic/religion forum if that's your intent.

Businesses aren't sacred entities. And bad businesses deserve to be called out.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Save it for your blog or the "rants and raves" section of Craigslist.

Being a whiny b*tch is exactly what you're doing yourself now...

If you're looking for deals, ignore posts that aren't titled as deals. I clearly explained I put this post here because there is not other "buyer beware" forums on this site. Maybe in your world, all bike shops are honest and caring, but in the real world, that sadly isn't the case. So save me the rhetoric and go preach in the socio/economic/religion forum if that's your intent.

Businesses aren't sacred entities. And bad businesses deserve to be called out.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomotivs
    Save it for your blog or the "rants and raves" section of Craigslist.

A lot of us want to hear about these situations so we can make an informed decision regarding online vendors.

You are the only one here who doesn't like these posts, and I have a solution for you: GTFO!

AZ
    banned
    A lot of us want to hear about these situations so we can make an informed decision regarding online vendors.

You are the only one here who doesn't like these posts, and I have a solution for you: GTFO!

Sums it up perfectly, well said.

mtbr member

Agreed; and as long as I can remember the "Deals" forum has always been happily used by many for that purpose. The only problem is that the name of this section doesn't match what we all understand it to be used for

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Agree with wanting to know about these kind of things...BUT the OP said he was scammed, then got the item returned within two days of posting the "scam", said it was the wrong part, well DUH...that's obvious. He hasn't said what the companies excuse or reasoning was. Too many unknowns in the story to take it seriously. My guess would be a mistake in shipping. Happens all the time. "Peter", the guy he contacted even said so.
    More information is required before anyone(with half a brain) could make an informed decision. How many days was it between the E-mail with Peter and the one asking for return shipping info? How many days till they replied? Why didn't the OP call?

seem to be UK based
    With a California area code?

The OP lost credibility with me when a few posts down someone else posted multiple contact options that the OP said did not exist.

You can't always get things resolved immediately.

LCW
    mtbr member
    dude, if you question my experience with Unreal, then like I said, by all means keep buying from them...

did you ever stop to think that maybe all this started well before I decided to post about it? huh? don't f***ing ASSume.

oh and BTW... California area code, you got that part right... turns out they are in OR... hmmm... yeah that reeks of legitimacy...

keep buying and/or defending them bwalsh... .mr 5 posts.... maybe we should question YOUR validity?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

LCW
    mtbr member
    ... and to add... on top of ALL of that, they claim that in order to give the refund once they receive the part back, they'll need to call me back to get my card number... as they don't keep these records for "security purposes".... first time in my life i've ever been told by an online vendor where I'm returning something that I'd need to re-provide them my CC number for a return... frankly at this point, they can keep their part, and keep their money... I won't be scammed twice by these scumbags

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    dude, if you question my experience with Unreal, then like I said, by all means keep buying from them...

I know you as well as them. Zero experience with either but considering they accepted your return I would do business with them if I chose to do so.

did you ever stop to think that maybe all this started well before I decided to post about it? huh? don't f***ing ASSume.

What else am I supposed to do BUT assume? Just blindly go along with what YOU say? You left out a LOT of details in your posts...like the one you just mentioned!
    If you are going to talk trash about a company, have all the details, not just a few rants...You don't come off as too mature with the replies you have made

oh and BTW... California area code, you got that part right... turns out they are in OR... hmmm... yeah that reeks of legitimacy...

California, Oregon, Who gives a rats ass. It's NOT in the UK like you had originally stated. You determined that by an accent? HAHA! They let them folks into the country don't you know...and they even allow them to work over here.
    You got it returned right???

keep buying and/or defending them bwalsh... .mr 5 posts.... maybe we should question YOUR validity?
    I don't buy anything from them or are defending them. I'm calling you on jumping the gun, complaining about them, not providing details, then trashing anyone who calls you on it, and asks for more details. Jeez dude... I like how forum users think they are the [email protected]*t because of the amount of posts one has. (See last sentence in the second response above.)
    Go ahead, question my validity! I just a figment of your (wild) imagination.
    You caught me. I'm actually a spy for...what was the name of the company...oh yeah, Unrealcycles.
    To be honest this thread is unreal.

Don't you think if they were going to run up charges on your card, it would have been done already?

Don't bother trying to belittle me anymore for YOUR shortcomings. You'll just be wasting your time.

LCW
    mtbr member
    you're really hilarious!!... you're the one that came into this thread to question the validity of it... why even stick your nose in this if you have never bought from and/or defending Unreal by your own personal experiences with them... other than to come in here to complain about my "complaining" and trying to act all Sherlock Sh*t.... save your self-righteousness for someone else

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalsh
    Agree with wanting to know about these kind of things...BUT the OP said he was scammed, then got the item returned within two days of posting the "scam", said it was the wrong part, well DUH...that's obvious. He hasn't said what the companies excuse or reasoning was. Too many unknowns in the story to take it seriously. My guess would be a mistake in shipping. Happens all the time. "Peter", the guy he contacted even said so.
    More information is required before anyone(with half a brain) could make an informed decision. How many days was it between the E-mail with Peter and the one asking for return shipping info? How many days till they replied? Why didn't the OP call?

I agree, but your logic is not a sound reason for the OP to not post this issue. Whether or not he used the wrong descriptive terminology, Unreal sold him a bike part labeled as new that wasn't new. How does that even get confused? Does the company keep all their used stuff in the same area as their new stuff?

Regardless, it's a good word of warning to those people who may be interested in shopping at Unreal. At the very least, they can check their items to see if they were also previously used.

Short-Change-Hero
    Guess you better not plan to buy anything Titus or On-One anytime in the near future either as Unreal is now the main US distributor for both companies. Sad to hear that you had such a bad experience with them as I actually spoke with Peter when I ordered my 2nd Gen Inbred 29er frame from them. Was actually chatting with him online while my wife was putting in the order for my "Xmas" present. He even told me up front they were out until the following Wednesday (this was Xmas Eve) and that while the order would process, shipping was not in until Wed. Low and behold I get shipping confirmation from them that Monday morning, and had the frame in hand Thursday, ONE DAY after their proposed shipping. Peter was even nice enough to throw in a little Xmas gift of an Unreal Coffee mug.

So as you can see, my experience with them, the complete and utter opposite. So take everyone's "rants and raves" with a grain of salt. You will only ever find a few good posts about a company, but you will always find people complaining about how something was messed or their cheerios got pissed in.

Personally, it seems like your frustration is justified as you are having to jump through hoops, but the original post was a bit off-putting as you seemed to have immediately jumped the gun on them not doing anything and taking your money for a wrong part before you really got a good response from them. People are human, mistakes are made, accountability is what makes a good company, well..... good. Seems like they are trying to make it right for you, albeit with more hoops. Oh well.

So to all the Unreal supporters - keep buying from them, and good luck. I guess you guys got lucky. My experience is they are unresponsive and deceiving. Sending out used parts, that aren't even the right ones. No return address posted anywhere on their invoice. I rest my case. So many other good online bike shops out there, I won't be making the mistake of ordering from Unreal ever again.
    Oh and if I can find it I will post a photo of my invoice, which I know had an address on it because I ended up talking with another CSR on their online chat regarding the address. And please by all means, don't buy from them, we will just be sure that we pay no attention to your reviews as they seem to be a little to off the cuff. And as for their "credit card" hoop, I can understand as they use PayPal for all their purchase, or at least did when I purchased my bike. With that being said, if someone sends you money through PayPal, last I checked, you did not have access to their "payment method" information. I am sure if you did, PayPal would be in some deep, deeeeppp........isht.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Hey - glad it worked out positively for you. Complete opposite from me. I'm sure there are companies I've had good experiences which others would never buy from again. Luck of the draw I guess. Won't change my opinion, but I'm not here to change anyone else's either. Just sharing my experience. People will take it or leave it. Most likely the latter but I didn't post to get approval.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alkemyst
    The thing is discount or not, mint/new should be mint/new. Not just "well it's mint/new for the age or for the price".

If an item is a take-off it should be listed as such. Also, many items sometimes are not warrantied as a take-off.
    I agree w/this. I buy take-off parts frequently. I just like to know ahead of time, so that I know what I'm getting and am not disappointed upon opening the box.

Customers remember disappointments. Recently I bought a 'deal of the day' item that was presented as a brand new item. But the part had been mounted, and there were obvious tool nicks (from the bottom-bracket tool on the outboard bearing assemblies). It isn't worth the hassle of sending the part back, and the part is still worth at least what I paid for it, but I was disappointed, had been expecting the excitement of a brand-new item only to receive one with dirty threads and tool nicks. I would have thought twice before jumping on the deal had I known the part was used, and I will remember for a long time which vendor it was who made me feel that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    you're really hilarious!!... you're the one that came into this thread to question the validity of it... why even stick your nose in this if you have never bought from and/or defending Unreal by your own personal experiences with them... other than to come in here to complain about my "complaining" and trying to act all Sherlock Sh*t.... save your self-righteousness for someone else
    No, I came into it to read about a scam. From the details you provided I didn't see one. I just asked for more info. YOU started frothing at the mouth when I did, like I shouldn't be questioning you on the situation. It's my belief that YOU jumped the gun and started an online rant. You STILL haven't provided it any more information. You have returned the item and are getting a refund. I see no scam here. Just a possible delayed response from the company(Which is only speculation because the details are still lacking) So either provide more details or STFU and go ride!

jtmartino, go back and read the first post where he said Peter told him it must have been a mistake. You guys act like mistakes in shipping never happen. What perfect world do you live in where this never happens?

tl1
    Bicyclist

Who are you talking to?

Hey - glad it worked out positively for you. Complete opposite from me. I'm sure there are companies I've had good experiences which others would never buy from again. Luck of the draw I guess. Won't change my opinion, but I'm not here to change anyone else's either. Just sharing my experience. People will take it or leave it. Most likely the latter but I didn't post to get approval.

I think you're inability to master the forum may match your inability to deal with bike shops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's amazing that people won't pick up the phone to call yet will go on an online tirade about a merchant without even giving them a shot to fix.

Mistakes happen. Even the best merchants screw up an order once in a while.

When you are given a phone number use it. I do prefer email myself, but somethings are best done chatting. Also keep in mind if you are sending a flaming email into a merchant, that's the best way to have it spam blocked...especially with any F-bombs in the subject line or reference to male anatomy.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    OMG, there were scratches and rub marks that made a perfectly operational derailleur look soiled.... the sky is falling, how can anyone dare to put such a beast on their totally unscratched and always clean bike that never actually gets ridden and no rock would dare bounce up and hit....

in other words, get a phucking life.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

SS Pusher Man
    So where is the part of the story where the "scammers" :

1. Took your money and disappeared and never delivered a product

2. Stole your credit card info and went on a shopping spree buying plasma tvs and Xbox's

3. Told you you were SOL that there was nothing wrong with the part that you were shipped.

4. Told you "too bad......so sad", then ignored you.

Sounds to me, there was an error made somewhere......it happens. No shop is perfect. Sounds like the shop acknowledged the mistake, and offered a return and a solution.

I have never ordered anything from Unreal, but this rant you are on, would not scare me away from buying from them in the future.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    So where is the part of the story where the "scammers" :

1. Took your money and disappeared and never delivered a product

2. Stole your credit card info and went on a shopping spree buying plasma tvs and Xbox's

3. Told you you were SOL that there was nothing wrong with the part that you were shipped.

4. Told you "too bad......so sad", then ignored you.

Sounds to me, there was an error made somewhere......it happens. No shop is perfect. Sounds like the shop acknowledged the mistake, and offered a return and a solution.

I have never ordered anything from Unreal, but this rant you are on, would not scare me away from buying from them in the future.
    Agreed. Please understand what scam means. Honestly I don't see anything in this post that suggest they actually "Scammed" you.
    I think LCW should change the thread title before encountering legal problems...

mtbr member
    If you got a brand new deraileur, it would look like that after one ride. So, use it, and never do business with them again. And as icing on the cake, you dissed them on MTBR. Move on, no big deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    If you got a brand new deraileur, it would look like that after one ride. So, use it, and never do business with them again. And as icing on the cake, you dissed them on MTBR. Move on, no big deal.
    My thoughts exactly. It's nice to get a brand new part with no blemishes but derailleurs often get scratched up on the first ride, especially if it there's any mud involved.

I ordered a frame from them last year, they shipped it quick and was received with no issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow so many people here would take a part listed as new retail and accept a take-off demo?

I am thinking this is devil's advocate talk

mtbr member
    Wow so many people here would take a part listed as new retail and accept a take-off demo?

I am thinking this is devil's advocate talk
    It was $30 bucks off. He didn't get a bad deal. He tried to get them to replace it, but they aren't responding. I'm not saying he should be happy, but this minor bad deal isn't worth the stress. If he bought a $3000 bike that looked like it was a year old, that's a different story. Life is too short to let those stress hormones poison you, over a couple of scratches on a front deraileur.

ballbuster

Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by vaelin
    OEM take-offs don't have a box. What, they went and bought empty boxes from SRAM just to shove a take-off derailleur in, just so they can rake in that extra $3 in profit per box?!? Are you frickin' serious? Oooooh! They're just rolling in the Benjamins now, eh?

Nah. I suspect a customer bought it, mounted it, and returned it saying they didn't open the box, and nobody at Unreal Cycles checked closely enough.

Calling them scammers over this is total weaksauce.

Have you even bothered to talk to them about this?

If I buy a hot dog from a vendor in the street, and he gives me the wrong change back, I don't kick the living shiz out of him and accuse him of robbing me blind. Pretty much what you did here. Dude, its a simple mistake. It seems to me like you have a huge need to have drama in your life, but your life is perfect, so you vent it like this.

Come on. There are real problems in the world. Reactors melting down in Japan, children starving in Africa,

Oh, and your derailleur would look like that after using it for 5 minutes anyway. Yeah, he sent you the wrong one. Wups! We all make mistakes. Give folks the change to correct it before you pull your glock out and press it to his head next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=pimpbot]

Nah. I suspect a customer bought it, mounted it, and returned it saying they didn't open the box, and nobody at Unreal Cycles checked closely enough.

Yup, bought a vcr from walmart. Wouldn't program. Brought it back. Used the money for something else at the tiime. 2 months later went to walmart to buy another vcr. Wouldn't program. Checked the reciept, same serial number on the vcr we bought the first time.

Many IFC's for warm air furnices I replace have been used for diagnostics and brought back to the dealer. Resold as new.

Sounds resonable.

mtbr member
    I find Hanlon's Razor to be correct most of the time

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    It was $30 bucks off. He didn't get a bad deal. He tried to get them to replace it, but they aren't responding. I'm not saying he should be happy,
    Read all the threads, especially this from post number 27!

to close this loop - I finally got a response and returned this. Got another from a different shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalsh
    Read all the threads, especially this from post number 27!
    You are right. This thread is sillier than I thought. LCW continued to call them scumbags after that post. The product wasn't as described so they gave him a refund. End of story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toast33
    FREEDOM OF SPEECH...This is America, start another thread if you disagree...
    freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to slander (not that I think that actually applies here), nor does it even apply at all to privately owned forums

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oakley198877
    Agreed. Please understand what scam means. Honestly I don't see anything in this post that suggest they actually "Scammed" you.
    I think LCW should change the thread title before encountering legal problems...
    FREEDOM OF SPEECH...This is America, start another thread if you disagree...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to slander (not that I think that actually applies here), nor does it even apply at all to privately owned forums
    slander is spoken, libel is print. And you can be sued for libel for things you say on internet forums, facebook pages, etc....
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes. America. Freedom of speech. Which gives me the right to say that the OP is a drama queen. I feel great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    slander is spoken, libel is print
    I should know better but always forget. In my defense it's mostly just the lawyers and pedants who distinguish these things, so wear your pedant badge proudly

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    And you can be sued for libel for things you say on internet forums, facebook pages, etc....
    I wasn't trying to say this isn't libel because of where he said it but because of what he said (mostly just over-complaining, jumping the gun, etc). However, I guess he did throw out accusations and assumptions about why it all happened that paints Unreal in a much worse light than if it were just a stupid accident.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I should know better but always forget. In my defense it's mostly just the lawyers and pedants who distinguish these things, so wear your pedant badge proudly

I wasn't trying to say this isn't libel because of where he said it but because of what he said (mostly just over-complaining, jumping the gun, etc). However, I guess he did throw out accusations and assumptions about why it all happened that paints Unreal in a much worse light than if it were just a stupid accident.
    The libel is in the topic title.

You can say I think "XXXX scammed me", but when you say "XXX are scammers" and they really haven't scammed you then that is libel and it's very easy to show the potential for damage.

Same way if someone is a child molestor. You can state publically that fact, this it's been proven, but to say someone is a child molestor and they have not been convicted of it could get you sued.

It's not only lawyers and pendants that care...be on the recieving end of some kind of internet rumor mill and you will very likely be looking to shut it down.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Just got my On-One carbon fork from them (second time I have ordered from them), and the transaction was flawless..........

mtbr member
    It's not only lawyers and pendants that care...be on the recieving end of some kind of internet rumor mill and you will very likely be looking to shut it down.
    I agree, but as for this last part you misunderstand me: I was in no way saying that only those people care about the existence of libel but that only those people always carefully distinguish whether it is libel and slander.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree, but as for this last part you misunderstand me: I was in no way saying that only those people care about the existence of libel but that only those people always carefully distinguish whether it is libel and slander.
    Sorry about and you are right on that...it's like in real life most will call a pistol magazine a clip. On forums you have people that spend their entire day reading post after post to correct everyone that says "clip".

Same with car forums and parking/emergency brake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Also to the OP about return addresses being listed. Almost no online vendor tells you where to return items upfront because often times it depends on what's being returned and it usually needs to be referenced with an RMA.

Shops are great at receiving shipments, but getting make onsey-twosey items is tough...

Any updates?

mtbr member
    Between shooting the messenger, telling the OP to just live it, calling him a whiney *****, etc, this thread has taken a turn for the surreal. I particularly liked the unique style of genius of the poster who thought that it might be plausible that the OP used an exacto knife to put chain rub marks on the d-cage. Brilliant. Perhaps surpassed in genius only by the posting of bible verses.

If receiving worn, incorrect parts priced and marketed as new is somehow okay with you then you are a gullible sheeple who deserves to get taken in every business transaction for the rest of your life. I sure hope you are really good at riding bikes because business acumen sure isn't a strong point for a lot of you. Let me sell you a used, er, I mean "new" car...
    Mind your own religion.

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow and the drivel just keeps on coming..
    PDF - Really? No one here said they were ok with the fact that the OP received a mismarked part, rather they tried to explain that his blow-up was irrational and not necessary because people are human and make mistakes. Accountability is key here and the company, although with some extra prodding, did make good by him and return his money. What people do not like about the OP's statement is the fact that he instantly "cries wolf" when most accurately it is a mistake at worst. I have worked retail and run my own sales business since I was 21 yrs old (so 10yrs now) and I am always accountable for my actions. Screw up a customer computer, they aren't getting charged and I will do what is necessary to make it right that is why I have a good name among my small clientele. So you comments about us "deserves to get taken in every business transaction for the rest of your life." comment only makes you seem exactly like your signature states.... A Grumpy "Ass" Old Man... I guess we (or at least I) can add you to the list of people that make non-sensical statements, snap judgements, and irrational decisions here on the forums and thus will pay no heed to your comments when it comes in regard to a particular vendor, person, or part comparison.

Just my 2¢

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Guys, just let the thread die. No use arguing over nothing here. He got the item, wasn't satisfied, and then returned it for a refund. It's all good.

mtbr member
    I agree with Cody.. Lots of lessons learned from this thread but its time to move on.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Wow... I've been away for a few days and haven't logged in. Quite the range of responses. Although, as per usual mtbr fashion, I'm not surprised to have seen it go so far off track. Although I've seen worse. Every one can voice their opinions though.

Unreal has contacted me, and the original issue has been squared away. Some/many have considered my reaction over-zealous. That's fine, to each their own. In the end, all is taken care.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4