Avoid Universal Cycles - they LIE- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    330

    Avoid Universal Cycles - they LIE

    So I was shopping for a set of wheels for my wife's new bike. I saw a set I liked at Universal Cycles but having laced my own wheels professionally and personally in the past I wanted to know some specifics...

    I asked them to confirm that their wheels were laced according to Shimano's specification. I sent them a pdf and a link to Shimano's lacing diagram. They come back and stated " Yes, that's the way we lace wheels"

    So I proceed to order and the wheels arrive and guess what, they're not even close to the Shimano spec. I ask Universal what's up and request an RA to return the wheels (inc. shipping) and they say we have years of experience...the wheels are strong, etc etc.

    They flat out lied and now wont accept responsibility. So my next step is a credit card dispute (fortunately all of this is documented via email correspondence) and beyond that small claims court.

    Don't use Universal Cycles.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: msiddens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    361
    I've now ordered 2 sets of wheels from Universal and have never been anything less than very happy with what they deliver. In fact, my first wheels still roll true as the day they were taken out of their box over 2 years ago. Minor tweaks are all they have seen.

    At worst my only gripe with UC would be a few extra days on shipping but with the prices and service I cannot complain. Regardless your their customer and if what you say is true what the promised was short of what was delivered. They should be able to admit the mistake and offer remidies. It's a pity you need to file the chargeback but that's one of the benefits of using your credit card and buying online.

    Good luck,
    MS

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    107
    The only problem I 've had with them is they will backorder stuff indefinitely and never let you know what's going on. I was going to bend, OR for four days of riding but I needed a new derailler. I got a great price on an XT 8spd from Univbikes and ordered it a week and a half before we were going. A week later (weds) no package. I called them up and they said backordered but should be in today. I said good overnight it to me and everything will be OK. Thurs evening still no package. Called them up again no answer. called friday night said it should arrive today. I said I will be driving through Portland and will be there at 6pm stay open and I will pickup. they said OK. 6:15 I arrive at there warehouse, nobody there. By now I'm really pissed. I just go buy a 9sp XT at full price because I need some kind of derailler. Called them up Monday and guess what? Still no deraller, Cancelled order after a few expletives. Will not use them again. Don't know if derailler ever existed.

  4. #4
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoman
    I said I will be driving through Portland and will be there at 6pm stay open and I will pickup. they said OK. 6:15 I arrive at there warehouse, nobody there.
    Let me get this straight:

    It is Friday night.

    They close at 6:00.

    Everyone agreed to meet at 6:00, then you show up 15 minutes late.

    Did you call ahead and tell them you were running a little bit late?

    How long did you expect them to sit there waiting, after work, on a friday night, for a pissed off customer? Personally, I would have split at about 6:05...

  5. #5
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,861
    Ummm, exactly how does shimano supposedly claim to lace wheels and how were these wheels UC built laced?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Let me get this straight:

    It is Friday night.

    They close at 6:00.

    Everyone agreed to meet at 6:00, then you show up 15 minutes late.

    Did you call ahead and tell them you were running a little bit late?

    How long did you expect them to sit there waiting, after work, on a friday night, for a pissed off customer? Personally, I would have split at about 6:05...
    The fact that he showed up late does not negate the fact that UC screwed him before and after his 6:15 "where's my rear D" arrival.
    Where did you find a 9sp XT rear D at 6:30 p.m.? Or did you wait until the next day?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Ummm, exactly how does shimano supposedly claim to lace wheels and how were these wheels UC built laced?
    Shimano's recommendations are in Fig 1 and 2 here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_imag...BR-M765_SI.pdf

    There is a purpose for outside spokes leading/trailing consistent with the stresses from discs. In a nutshell, UCs wheels were built old school, pre disc method with all outside spokes trailing, front and rear.

  8. #8
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    They buillt my wheels! No issues at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by dodger
    Shimano's recommendations are in Fig 1 and 2 here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_imag...BR-M765_SI.pdf

    There is a purpose for outside spokes leading/trailing consistent with the stresses from discs. In a nutshell, UCs wheels were built old school, pre disc method with all outside spokes trailing, front and rear.
    I'm going on 2 years on my disc wheels. They run completely straight. No problems. I have had 2 wheels built. No problems. I wouldn't lose sleep over the whole thing. I would find something else to get pissed about. Life is too darn short.

    Jaybo

    PS I wonder how you get a hold of the wheel building police.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    466

    No good UC never again, worst wheels I ever owned

    I bought a set of wheels from UC a couple years ago and I ad the problem that the nipples were breaking constantly. Yes, the nipples were aluminum but that wasn't the problem. After some inspection I found that the spokes and nipples they used were some cheap Taiwanese crap. The spokes and nipples were black but is you looked close the nipples and spokes varied in color. Some of the spokes and nipples weren't completely black they had color clemishes everywhere. I called UC and asked them what brand of nipples and spokes they used on my wheels and the guy confirmed they were some no-name brand from Taiwan. These were Chris King hubs with Mavic 517's that I paid almost $500 bucks for. Aint that a b!tch! UC skimped on a chi-chi set of wheels and lost a customer for life.

  10. #10
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,861
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger
    Shimano's recommendations are in Fig 1 and 2 here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_imag...BR-M765_SI.pdf

    There is a purpose for outside spokes leading/trailing consistent with the stresses from discs. In a nutshell, UCs wheels were built old school, pre disc method with all outside spokes trailing, front and rear.
    Depends on the hub, since the amount of drivetrain torque carried by the left flange is proportional with the amount of twist present in the center hub shell, and the best way to carry the torque is with the outside spokes trailing, which is the old school method. Perhaps shimano knows how much twist there is between the flanges during drivetrain torque (without bothering to indicate this obvious fact to the consumer public) applications, and figures they might as well reverse the directions for the disc side of their hubs.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    I bought a set of wheels from UC a couple years ago and I ad the problem that the nipples were breaking constantly. Yes, the nipples were aluminum but that wasn't the problem. After some inspection I found that the spokes and nipples they used were some cheap Taiwanese crap. The spokes and nipples were black but is you looked close the nipples and spokes varied in color. Some of the spokes and nipples weren't completely black they had color clemishes everywhere. I called UC and asked them what brand of nipples and spokes they used on my wheels and the guy confirmed they were some no-name brand from Taiwan. These were Chris King hubs with Mavic 517's that I paid almost $500 bucks for. Aint that a b!tch! UC skimped on a chi-chi set of wheels and lost a customer for life.
    That's really lame. I checked out these wheels - they did at least use the WS spokes they were supposed to. Can't tell about the nipples. I will say, the tension seems very high - too high actually. Spoke tension this high can very well lead to rim cracks or nipple breaks.

    Anyway, they finally agreed to take the wheels back and pay for shipping when I threatened them with a credit card charge dispute and small claims court as needed.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    330

    Not really Shimano specific

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Depends on the hub, since the amount of drivetrain torque carried by the left flange is proportional with the amount of twist present in the center hub shell, and the best way to carry the torque is with the outside spokes trailing, which is the old school method. Perhaps shimano knows how much twist there is between the flanges during drivetrain torque (without bothering to indicate this obvious fact to the consumer public) applications, and figures they might as well reverse the directions for the disc side of their hubs.
    The only reason I used the Shimano figures were because they were most readily available and carry weight being from the big S. Fact is, any wheelbuilder or wheelbuilding course will tell you that disc wheels should be built this way to handle disc stresses. I learned the hard way couple years ago when I built up some wheels old school method (all outside spokes trailing, like the wheels UC sent me) and they proceeded to loosen badly when I switched to discs.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    330

    Glad yours worked out

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I'm going on 2 years on my disc wheels. They run completely straight. No problems. I have had 2 wheels built. No problems. I wouldn't lose sleep over the whole thing. I would find something else to get pissed about. Life is too darn short.

    Jaybo

    PS I wonder how you get a hold of the wheel building police.
    For me, when I'm bucking up, I expect to get exactly what was promised and won't let some merchant railroad me into something else that experience has taught me won't hold up. Guess that's just me.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Let me get this straight:

    It is Friday night.

    They close at 6:00.

    Everyone agreed to meet at 6:00, then you show up 15 minutes late.

    Did you call ahead and tell them you were running a little bit late?

    How long did you expect them to sit there waiting, after work, on a friday night, for a pissed off customer? Personally, I would have split at about 6:05...
    I was pissed long before I drove down to Portland to pick up my derailler that was supposed to be delivered a week prior.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    The fact that he showed up late does not negate the fact that UC screwed him before and after his 6:15 "where's my rear D" arrival.
    Where did you find a 9sp XT rear D at 6:30 p.m.? Or did you wait until the next day?
    Bought it in Bend the next morning. I was on the trail by 11am, it was all good. Hutch's is awesome! Screw UC!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    629

    Bummer - but I still like mine

    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    I bought a set of wheels from UC a couple years ago and I ad the problem that the nipples were breaking constantly. Yes, the nipples were aluminum but that wasn't the problem. After some inspection I found that the spokes and nipples they used were some cheap Taiwanese crap.
    Well, my King wheels are 2 years old and I've ridden them hard. I've trued them twice, a little, and they are still awesome. New school or old school, they built me a solid disc wheelset.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    466

    ... and if we just ... What does that mean???

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    Well, my King wheels are 2 years old and I've ridden them hard. I've trued them twice, a little, and they are still awesome. New school or old school, they built me a solid disc wheelset.
    New School or Old School?!!! What does that mean? How does that pertain to our dicussion?

    Hey Jester, maybe you just don't ride HARD enough. Just kidding.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    629
    Dodger quoted the following:
    "Shimano's recommendations are in Fig 1 and 2 here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_ima.../BR-M765_SI.pdf

    There is a purpose for outside spokes leading/trailing consistent with the stresses from discs. In a nutshell, UCs wheels were built old school, pre disc method with all outside spokes trailing, front and rear."

    That was the old school I was refering. As for my hard riding......somedays harder than others

Similar Threads

  1. feedback on universal cycles?
    By rustus in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:45 PM
  2. Universal Cycles problems??
    By very slow rider in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 08:50 PM
  3. Buyer Beware: Universal Cycles
    By exit38 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:46 AM
  4. Universal Cycles - delay in processing lately?
    By PiroChu in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 08:50 AM
  5. Universal Cycles -- Good Wheelbuilders?
    By crunchy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 09:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.