Asian online bike stores- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Asian online bike stores

I have come across a number of online bike stores (located in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore) which claim to be able to supply top end bikes at extremely low prices. Eg Trek Suplerfly 100 delivered to Australia for $2,000. It seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with these operators? Are ther any companies you have had a good or bad experience with?
    Thanks Dave

All fat, all the time.
    Scams. Trek doesnt sell online.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozidaveperth
    I have come across a number of online bike stores (located in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore) which claim to be able to supply top end bikes at extremely low prices. Eg Trek Suplerfly 100 delivered to Australia for $2,000. It seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with these operators? Are ther any companies you have had a good or bad experience with?
    Thanks Dave
    What's the old adage that goes along with that statement?

Here you go:
    The answer to your question

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "not possible" is too easy an answer,

local market prices for big names (eg, Trek / Giant) are often quite different than in other places, where they have less competitive advantage and bikes are valued differently. I'm not familiar with your model - what is the street price for the same in another market?

Also : what will potential import duties be on that bike when delivered? Will they calculate the duties on the "real" value of the bike or the value declared on the customs slip? Expensive items coming internationally can be a shot in the dark.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    offer to fly n buy. betcha they say you cant.

asked this question about a cervelo. they disappeared a month later.

good luck

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong
    "not possible" is too easy an answer,

local market prices for big names (eg, Trek / Giant) are often quite different than in other places, where they have less competitive advantage and bikes are valued differently. I'm not familiar with your model - what is the street price for the same in another market?

Also : what will potential import duties be on that bike when delivered? Will they calculate the duties on the "real" value of the bike or the value declared on the customs slip? Expensive items coming internationally can be a shot in the dark.
    Please, for the benefit of my own knowledge, tell me where in the world trek/giant/specialized have less "competitive advantage" and price their bikes 50% lower than they do in the states ?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Please, for the benefit of my own knowledge, tell me where in the world trek/giant/specialized have less "competitive advantage" and price their bikes 50% lower than they do in the states ?
    Can't say for trek, but for sure Giant appears in super markets all over China. Bikes start in supermarkets at around 20 euros, thus, it's much harder to sell $2000 or $4000 bikes. This is the land of $300 carbon frames that are quite good, and IP rights don't rule as they do elsewhere.

You've traveled east and compared products?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I give up, you're right. Buy a bike from that site and post pics when you get it.

mtbr member
    just make sure you don't western union money to anyone if they accept paypal you should be ok

Members who have read this thread: 0