Asian online bike stores- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1

    Asian online bike stores

    I have come across a number of online bike stores (located in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore) which claim to be able to supply top end bikes at extremely low prices. Eg Trek Suplerfly 100 delivered to Australia for $2,000. It seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with these operators? Are ther any companies you have had a good or bad experience with?
    Thanks Dave

  2. #2
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Scams. Trek doesnt sell online.

  3. #3
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozidaveperth
    I have come across a number of online bike stores (located in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore) which claim to be able to supply top end bikes at extremely low prices. Eg Trek Suplerfly 100 delivered to Australia for $2,000. It seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with these operators? Are ther any companies you have had a good or bad experience with?
    Thanks Dave
    What's the old adage that goes along with that statement?

    Here you go:
    The answer to your question

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    155
    "not possible" is too easy an answer,

    local market prices for big names (eg, Trek / Giant) are often quite different than in other places, where they have less competitive advantage and bikes are valued differently. I'm not familiar with your model - what is the street price for the same in another market?

    Also : what will potential import duties be on that bike when delivered? Will they calculate the duties on the "real" value of the bike or the value declared on the customs slip? Expensive items coming internationally can be a shot in the dark.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    97
    offer to fly n buy. betcha they say you cant.

    asked this question about a cervelo. they disappeared a month later.

    good luck

  6. #6
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong
    "not possible" is too easy an answer,

    local market prices for big names (eg, Trek / Giant) are often quite different than in other places, where they have less competitive advantage and bikes are valued differently. I'm not familiar with your model - what is the street price for the same in another market?

    Also : what will potential import duties be on that bike when delivered? Will they calculate the duties on the "real" value of the bike or the value declared on the customs slip? Expensive items coming internationally can be a shot in the dark.
    Please, for the benefit of my own knowledge, tell me where in the world trek/giant/specialized have less "competitive advantage" and price their bikes 50% lower than they do in the states ?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Please, for the benefit of my own knowledge, tell me where in the world trek/giant/specialized have less "competitive advantage" and price their bikes 50% lower than they do in the states ?
    Can't say for trek, but for sure Giant appears in super markets all over China. Bikes start in supermarkets at around 20 euros, thus, it's much harder to sell $2000 or $4000 bikes. This is the land of $300 carbon frames that are quite good, and IP rights don't rule as they do elsewhere.

    You've traveled east and compared products?

  8. #8
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,861
    I give up, you're right. Buy a bike from that site and post pics when you get it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpeters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    just make sure you don't western union money to anyone if they accept paypal you should be ok

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.