Anyone deal with NYCbikes?- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Anyone deal with NYCbikes?

I am looking for a cheap frame to build up and I came across NYCbikes. They have some pretty inexpensive frames, even some unpainted ones. I am looking at a few between $50 and $120. Problem is they have no geometry info on the website. I called and was told to send an email and they would get back to me that way, but I have sent a few emails over the last 2 weeks with no response. At this point I am tempted to write them off, because if this is how on the ball they are about sales, I cannot imagine how they are after the sale.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these folks. I am hoping to hear something good and find they are just experiencing a temporary breakdown (they are a very small company), as these frames seem like they could fit the bill, but right now I am a little leery.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I looked into them when I was in the market for and inexpensive frame. I too had to send multiple emails. Two weeks later I get a response: "We don't have any more of those." That was it.

I wrote 'em off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yes, I have experiance with them. I just built a single-speed from their Camelsback frame. Here is what I have found:

Pros:
    ** Cheap, solid stuff
    ** Cheap, prompt shipping
    ** Nice collection of parts online

Cons:
    ** Poor customer service online and on the phone
    ** They didn't send me what I ordered, but everything worked out ok.
    ** Some of their stuff is cheap for a reason.

Do not expect to get true measurements from them. They told me that the Camelsback had a 73mm BB shell, it has a 68mm. After that, I didn't bother asking anything else. The steel fork I ordered was finished poorly and I could see rust forming under the paint. I ordered one stem, but they sent me three, which was nice I guess.

Overall I am very happy with my new ride. I had the fork stripped and both the frame and fork powder coated to match. For being aluminium, the frame is fairly flexy so that worries me a little. Otherwise, pretty great for a knock-around bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have ordered from NYCBikes a few times including a Camelback frame like the one above but in red and their "Handmade Canadian disc 19 inch (raw) MTB frame". Both frames are good, solid bikes however the general sentiment above about customer service & accuracy or answers is spot on.

My red camelsback is a really nice frame, especially for the $120 I paid shipped. $5 flat rate shipping is nice feature. I am in NJ so the frame arrived from their NY warehouse is a few days, but it did not include a bottom bracket cable guide. I called them up and they sold me one for another $3 which was pretty ridiculous.

My other NYCBikes ride is the raw disc hardtail. Good welds, older measurements (26.8 post, 28.6 FD, 1 1/8 HT). The bad part was 2 fold, the complete lack of frame prep meaning sanding, tapping, etc. And most of all, there was no cut in the top of the seat tube where you would normally clamp your post. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a $8 bit for my Dremel and cut the groove myself whihc isn't easy in a steel frame. But all in all, after I got it back from the powder coaters, it's a pretty sweet frame. A bit heavy though. I though it was a Rocky Mountain but according to guys here, it's probably a Oryx.

Here's a few pics...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

CamelsBack Questions

Sinse the Camelsback frame is one of the ones I was looking at, you Camelsback owners can really help me out if you can tell me the following:

What size frame did you buy (15" or 17")
    What is the effective tt measurement.

Thank you for any help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Sinse the Camelsback frame is one of the ones I was looking at, you Camelsback owners can really help me out if you can tell me the following:

What size frame did you buy (15" or 17")
    What is the effective tt measurement.

Thank you for any help.

I bought the 17 I think. Honestly, it's the smallest 17" fame I have ever ridden. The bike feels small to me. My inseam is 32" and I have plenty of stand over height even with the curved top tube.

Good frame. Mine was unpainted / raw. Cost $40 to bead-blast the fork and frame then powder coat. Well worth it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DocAltie
    I bought the 17 I think. Honestly, it's the smallest 17" fame I have ever ridden. The bike feels small to me. My inseam is 32" and I have plenty of stand over height even with the curved top tube.

Good frame. Mine was unpainted / raw. Cost $40 to bead-blast the fork and frame then powder coat. Well worth it.
    Thanks for the info. Any idea of the tt length?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Got my answer re: NYCbikes

I talked to the owner today and he was very apologetic about not getting to my requests. He was pretty straight up and said that they were so far behind in the store itself getting bikes out to people who have already paid, that the warehouse business had to go on the backburner and he did not have time to get out there and get the measuring done. Basically they need to choose between further pissing off current customers or losing new ones and they would rather loose new ones. Bad state of affairs, but at least he was honest about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The red Camelback above is a 19 inch frame. Pretty long TT, I'd guess about 23 inches. I am 6 foot 1 inches tall with a 32 inseam and it fits me very well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am thinking of building camelsback. I like the shape of the frame.

I have many questions to kapusta, DocAltie, Scott_in_Jersey
    can you give me list of components?
    how much did you spend for this bike?

To. kapusta.
    did you finish the bike yet? if you finished the bike, can you post pictures of the bike?

To.Scott_in_Jersey
    I am thinking of getting unpainted frame but did NYC bikes use powder coat for camelsback frame? and do they have decals on frame?
    I prefer to have nothing on frame so I can put some decals and paint clear coat over decal.
    I want to black powder coated and put white decals and clear coat over powder coat.
    if they powder coated frame, simply, I can get black colored frame and put decals and clear coat.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kimguroo
    I am thinking of building camelsback. I like the shape of the frame.

I have many questions to kapusta, DocAltie, Scott_in_Jersey
    can you give me list of components?
    how much did you spend for this bike?

To. kapusta.
    did you finish the bike yet? if you finished the bike, can you post pictures of the bike?

To.Scott_in_Jersey
    I am thinking of getting unpainted frame but did NYC bikes use powder coat for camelsback frame? and do they have decals on frame?
    I prefer to have nothing on frame so I can put some decals and paint clear coat over decal.
    I want to black powder coated and put white decals and clear coat over powder coat.
    if they powder coated frame, simply, I can get black colored frame and put decals and clear coat.
    Do yourself a favor and forget about it. It has been a nightmare dealing with NYCbikes. Check out this thread for more info:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=315560

I put the update there just for you.

To answer your question, there are no decals on the frame, just chipped paint. I'm actually just starting to build it up this weekend.

Oh yeah, one more thing: In addition to the sizing info being wrong The bb and seatpost specs are also both wrong. The bb is 73mm, and I don't know what the seatpost is, but my 27.2 post does not fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    it's very strange that DocAltie got 68mm BB and you got 73mm.
    maybe unpainted camelsback has 68mm BB shell.

do you like quality of paint job? should I buy the unpainted frame and do powder coat?

I won't forget to get derailler hanger, bolt, size of seatpost and BB.
    Maybe I should buy the frame from their store when I visit NYC in this fall.
    Please let me know if I need to know more.

thanks for the information

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    it's very strange that DocAltie got 68mm BB and you got 73mm.
    maybe unpainted camelsback has 68mm BB shell.

do you like quality of paint job? should I buy the unpainted frame and do powder coat?

I won't forget to get derailler hanger, bolt, size of seatpost and BB.
    Maybe I should buy the frame from their store when I visit NYC in this fall.
    Please let me know if I need to know more.

thanks for the information
    Oops, my bad. It is 68mm.

The ONLY way I would consider getting the frame (or anything from these guys) is by going there in person, though they don't have them in the store, they are in some other warehouse. It's not a matter of you forgetting to get the hangar, bolt, cable guide, etc., its a matter of THEM not sending them. I'm telling you, you cannot trust them. They will tell you whatever you want to hear on the phone, but it does not mean anything, and nobody there knows what anyone else is doing.

Regarding the paint job: It's OK, but as I wrote, it has some deep chips in it, and in a few places it looks like it was not fully cleaned before it was painted. In the end I would not complain too much if that was the only problem for a $160 frame/fork combo. It is pretty cool lookiing. I'll post a picture when it is built up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think I will buy the unpainted frame and powder coating the frame.
    I searched this bike and found this picture.
    it's very interesting

I am looking forward to seeing your bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here is a picture of mine:

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Component list of the single-speed now:

** Kona Unit rear wheel.
    ** Shimano MX17 freewheel
    ** Front wheel is a single wall cheapo rim laced to an STX Shimano hub
    ** Tektro V-brakes
    ** Tektro cyclocross brakes levers
    ** Shimano UN52 68x122 BB
    ** Shimano LX cranks off of a 1990's tandem bike
    ** Specialized seat
    ** Sette7 seatpost 27.2
    ** Sette7 cork grip tape
    ** Old drop bar sliced off and flipped
    ** Kore 31.8 stem
    ** Powergrip pedals
    ** Cane Creek S3 headset
    ** IRC Lovers Soul 2.25 slicks

Pretty cheap build. After riding it with a riser to work for a month, I looked for alternatives. Another guy on here built a similar bike. I got the idea of the flipped drop bars from him.

I use this mainly for ripping around the town and on my trainer. It's been a good frame. Super fun bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    O yea... a Specialized bottle cage because it holds my coffee really well... hahaha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I will be in nyc next month so I will be able to buy the frame.
    I am noob and this will be my first bike building.
    I need some helps.
    I try to buy components as cheap as possible (probably ebay) and I don't know what size components should I buy.

rear derailleur (long cage, meduim or small ????)
    front derailleur ( top or bottom // size ????)
    bottom bracket (68X????)

I don't think I can afford xt or x-9 components but prefer LX or X-7 set up (at least deore).
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...t%20Derailleur
    I am thinking of this front derailleur and it says "no more guessing what size to get!"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I will be in nyc next month so I will be able to buy the frame.
    I am noob and this will be my first bike building.
    I need some helps.
    I try to buy components as cheap as possible (probably ebay) and I don't know what size components should I buy.

rear derailleur (long cage, meduim or small ????)
    front derailleur ( top or bottom // size ????)
    bottom bracket (68X????)

I don't think I can afford xt or x-9 components but prefer LX or X-7 set up (at least deore).
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...t%20Derailleur
    I am thinking of this front derailleur and it says "no more guessing what size to get!"
    Rear der: Not frame specific. It depends on the gear range. In other words, how big is the difference between the largest and smallest chainring and cog. Ask over in the drivetrain forum, but if this is going to be a 3 ring, 8 or 9 speed setup, then you can't go wrong with a long cage.

Front der. I think mine is 31.8. It is bottom pull which means the cable comes up from the bottom (which is why the cable guides under the bb are so crucial).

The bottom bracket shell is 68mm, but the axle length depends on the cranks you are using.

I am building my GF's Camelsback up this weekend, I will post the results and anything I think you need to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would like to have 8 or 9 speed set up so I should look for a long cage rear derailleur.
    now, I am looking at ebay for cheapest components I can get.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hi, good luck with your NYCB Camelsback project. On my red 19" frame I use a 68x110 UN72 BB, 27.2 post, 1&1/8th Cane Creek S6 headset, 31.8 Front Der. One thing to note, my frame did not come with a BB cable guide. NYCBikes will sell you one for a few bucks or you can get them from Nashbar with free shipping now for about $1.50. The rear spacing is claimed to be 135 but it's more like 130mm. You can stretch it fo fit a 135mm rear hub. I use a XT M737 8 speed rear wheel. There's no disc tabs so V brakes are best. I would say the bike would build up very nicely with LX or X.7 components, I prefer LX. Check eBay or here on the MTBR market place for cheap prices. Also check out pricepoint.com, jensonusa.com, nashbar.com, etc. Please post some pics when you're done. - Later, Scott
    - Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the info.
    I did not buy frame yet but I will.
    prefer to buy unpainted frame ( my local powder coating shop will paint for $30 )
    this will be my first bike building so I might need more help from you guys

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I am looking for a cheap frame to build up and I came across NYCbikes. They have some pretty inexpensive frames, even some unpainted ones. I am looking at a few between $50 and $120. Problem is they have no geometry info on the website. I called and was told to send an email and they would get back to me that way, but I have sent a few emails over the last 2 weeks with no response. At this point I am tempted to write them off, because if this is how on the ball they are about sales, I cannot imagine how they are after the sale.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these folks. I am hoping to hear something good and find they are just experiencing a temporary breakdown (they are a very small company), as these frames seem like they could fit the bill, but right now I am a little leery.

Thanks.
    Well, I finally got it built up, so here are some pics.

The build consisted of parts from her old bike (wheels, 7 speed cassette, rear der, crankset, seatpost) and a lot of very cheap parts from Nashbar. The front deraileur is a Sram 3.0 or x-3 or something, cost under $10 and works great. The Brakes are Deore and were about $15 for the set. The shifter/brake lever combos are some old shimano set that cost about $10 a few year ago. They are 8 speed, but they work fine with the 7 speed cassette.

The color is a more intense green than the picture shows. It's more of a John Deer green.

PULL
    yikes, just found this thread, 2 weeks later no e-mails or anything from them. I really like the frame I ordered off the site. I hope I get it.................not looking good........

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    yikes, just found this thread, 2 weeks later no e-mails or anything from them. I really like the frame I ordered off the site. I hope I get it.................not looking good........
    actually, I sent several emails to NYCbikes past a few months.
    I usually got their response within a day or two.
    finally, I drove from GA and plan to pick it from their store soon. (I think the shop is in brooklyn)

I already bought all components so if I buy the frame, I will be ready to build my first bike.

I think you should call to shop.
    Hope you will be able to get it soon.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Call the shop. There is a woman there who takes care of the mail order stuff. I think her name is Alison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Call Them -> Ask for Danny

He's the owner if I recall correctly. They are open 11:00AM - 7:00PM most days. Phone # 718-599-2409. Also their address is on their voicemail if you call after/before hours if you want to show up in person. Good luck.
    - Scott

=============================================
    I love the smell of Lemon Pledge in the morning...

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Have purchased forks from them without a hitch.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_Jersey
    He's the owner if I recall correctly. They are open 11:00AM - 7:00PM most days. Phone # 718-599-2409. Also their address is on their voicemail if you call after/before hours if you want to show up in person. Good luck.
    Did you check the thread I linked to above? If not, read it. I have still not received the bolt or the cable guide.

If you want your frame built in the next month, call them every day, and make sure they include what they left out on mine (see other thread).

PULL
    Follow up for my story...

Remember this was my second trail bike, so time was not burning a hole in my pocket.

It took them around 3 weeks to get the frame out the door. They shipped the first frame to the wrong person. Like I give a hoot, just wanted that dam frame within the month or the next....

The frame spends around 13 business days in transit because of a "sorting error at the UPS hub." Don't get me started with UPS....

Fast forward to monday the 13th. I got my frame and could not be happier. Was expecting the wrong frame, or a trashed box from ups. Not at all the case.

Check out the pictures below.

Looks like a Chameleon doesn't it? Drooling over the chainstays!!!

I'm honestly not used to frames feeling this light, just used to beefy freeride frames that weight 10 pounds.

Going to throw an air pike on this beast and have fun with it. The max I'll run is 125mm on the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Finally, I picked up a camelsback fame from nycbikes.
    I will bring the frame to powder coating shop tomorrow.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Finally, I picked up a camelsback fame from nycbikes.
    I will bring the frame to powder coating shop tomorrow.
    OMG!!! They gave you the replaceable dropout AND a dropout spacer?!!! Who did you have to blow to get that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OMG!!! They gave you the replaceable dropout AND a dropout spacer?!!! Who did you have to blow to get that?
    I am noob and what is replaceable dropout AND a dropout spacer?

I went to their warehouse with employee. he showed all the parts and frames and gave me a seatpost clamp for free
    He was really nice guy
    Last edited by kimguroo; 11-19-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I am noob and what is replaceable dropout AND a dropout spacer?

I went to their warehouse with employee. he showed all the parts and frames and gave me a seatpost clamp for free
    He was really nice guy
    Sorry, I wrote that wrong. I meant the replaceable dérailleur hanger, not replaceable dropout. It's the little tab that hangs down on the drive side where the rear wheel fits into the frame. It's what the rear dérailleur screws into. You'll notice that it is held on by a bolt that looks like a chaining bolt. The deraileur hangs off of it, and since the "hanger" is held on with a bolt, it is "replacable". In my case they sent me a frame with no hanger, thus leaving me with a useless chunk of aluminum (since you can't hold the rear wheel on without it). I got them to send me a hanger, but received no bolt with which to attach it. They said they'd have one in the mail immediately. Twice (a week apart). That was several months ago. I picked one up elsewhere. Also, if you want to run gears you will need the cable router which goes under the bb. I never got that either (though it was "in the mail tomorrow" twice with the hanger bolt).

Glad you had a better experience with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sorry, I wrote that wrong. I meant the replaceable dérailleur hanger, not replaceable dropout. It's the little tab that hangs down on the drive side where the rear wheel fits into the frame. It's what the rear dérailleur screws into. You'll notice that it is held on by a bolt that looks like a chaining bolt. The deraileur hangs off of it, and since the "hanger" is held on with a bolt, it is "replacable". In my case they sent me a frame with no hanger, thus leaving me with a useless chunk of aluminum (since you can't hold the rear wheel on without it). I got them to send me a hanger, but received no bolt with which to attach it. They said they'd have one in the mail immediately. Twice (a week apart). That was several months ago. I picked one up elsewhere. Also, if you want to run gears you will need the cable router which goes under the bb. I never got that either (though it was "in the mail tomorrow" twice with the hanger bolt).

Glad you had a better experience with them.
    actually, when he pulled out the frame from the boxes, there was no rear derailleur hanger.
    I remembered you pointed out the hanger earlier (appreciate it ). I asked about the hanger and he installed the hanger right away. there are alot of parts in the warehouse so it was easy to solve the problem.
    Now, I am going to powder coat shop.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    actually, when he pulled out the frame from the boxes, there was no rear derailleur hanger.
    I remembered you pointed out the hanger earlier (appreciate it ). I asked about the hanger and he installed the hanger right away. there are alot of parts in the warehouse so it was easy to solve the problem.
    Now, I am going to powder coat shop.
    Cool, I look forward to seeing pics!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    pick it up from powder coating shop (paid $28.50). my decals did not arrive yet.

This is my first bike building and already have some problems.
    As you can see in the picture, there is unfinished metal inside of bottom bracket shell (middle). the bottom bracket can't get through. I guess I need to sand it but it's hard to sand it by fingers.
    can anyone suggest better way (or tool) to sand it?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    pick it up from powder coating shop (paid $28.50). my decals did not arrive yet.

This is my first bike building and already have some problems.
    As you can see in the picture, there is unfinished metal inside of bottom bracket shell (middle). the bottom bracket can't get through. I guess I need to sand it but it's hard to sand it by fingers.
    can anyone suggest better way (or tool) to sand it?
    The metal inside the bb shell should not be painted or finished. However, it should be threaded to accept the bottom bracket, and on a new build you should be able to thread the new bb in there pretty easily. You may already know this, but make sure you are threading it the right way. One side (I always forget which) is reverse threaded. If it seems to be buggered up in there so that you can't get the bb in, then you should bring it to a bike shop and have the bb threads chased. They use a tool that follows the threads and cleans them up.

Does this help? I assume you meant you could not thread the bb in due to the threads not being clean.

PULL
    Hey guys are the headtubes on your bikes pretty solid and thick? I pressed an s3 cane creek into mine and it seems really thin and pretty easy to ovalise (I'm 205 and bash my bikes hard) second guessing putting a pike on the frame.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Hey guys are the headtubes on your bikes pretty solid and thick? I pressed an s3 cane creek into mine and it seems really thin and pretty easy to ovalise (I'm 205 and bash my bikes hard) second guessing putting a pike on the frame.
    A Pike on the Camelsback frame? I don't think this bike is made for that kind of riding. They advertise it as a commuter frame.

PULL
    No, I have the frame with the boxed chainstays. I was just asking how thick the head tube was on the camels back.

If anything I am going with an older SID on the frame now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The metal inside the bb shell should not be painted or finished. However, it should be threaded to accept the bottom bracket, and on a new build you should be able to thread the new bb in there pretty easily. You may already know this, but make sure you are threading it the right way. One side (I always forget which) is reverse threaded. If it seems to be buggered up in there so that you can't get the bb in, then you should bring it to a bike shop and have the bb threads chased. They use a tool that follows the threads and cleans them up.

Does this help? I assume you meant you could not thread the bb in due to the threads not being clean.
    inside of bb shell was not painted but you can see in the picture, there is unfinished metal middle of BB shell. the BB can't get through because of that extra metal.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    inside of bb shell was not painted but you can see in the picture, there is unfinished metal middle of BB shell. the BB can't get through because of that extra metal.
    So, in the picture it looks like there is a ridge of metal in the middle of the shell that goes around the inside of the shell. How high is this ridge? From the picture it only looks a few mm high. I would think a bb could slide past that.

Could you use a rounded file to file it down?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So, in the picture it looks like there is a ridge of metal in the middle of the shell that goes around the inside of the shell. How high is this ridge? From the picture it only looks a few mm high. I would think a bb could slide past that.

Could you use a rounded file to file it down?
    I think it's less than 1mm.
    I used one finger with sand paper but I need some kind of tool.
    I have no idea what is the best way to get rid of it.
    Can I buy a rounded file at homedepot?

Or any suggestion other than finger?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I think it's less than 1mm.
    I used one finger with sand paper but I need some kind of tool.
    I have no idea what is the best way to get rid of it.
    Can I buy a rounded file at homedepot?

Or any suggestion other than finger?
    Yes, Home Depot will have them in the small tool section I think they may be called half-round files. They are flat on one side and round on the other.

Still, something is not right if this ridge is less than 1mm and you can't get the bb through. The end of the bb you stick through should be a bit narrower than the threaded end because it fits inside of the cup that you thread in from the other side (which is certainly thicker than what you are getting hung up on. What kind of bb are you using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, Home Depot will have them in the small tool section I think they may be called half-round files. They are flat on one side and round on the other.

Still, something is not right if this ridge is less than 1mm and you can't get the bb through. The end of the bb you stick through should be a bit narrower than the threaded end because it fits inside of the cup that you thread in from the other side (which is certainly thicker than what you are getting hung up on. What kind of bb are you using?
    maybe more than 1mm
    I will use TRUVATIV GigaPipe SLLT ISIS BB. 68mmx116mm.
    anyway, I need to make another trip to NY tomorrow so I won't be able to touch the bike anytime soon.

PULL
    strange why they only machined it to a certain point....

mtbr member
    NoManerz, did your frame come with a derailleur hanger? What is the tire clearance like?

Thanks.

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    I've bought stuff from them via eBay, no problems so far except they are very slow about leaving feedback.

Andy
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ordered once from NYC bikes and am now a little wary of them.Ordered two Bontrager Jones tires-got one Jones and one nice Hutchinson tire that was obviously different and covered in a thick layer of dust.Ordered two black Rocky Mtn stems-received two silver stems w/ completely different finish than as pictured.Did not attempt to return items-not worth the time.Did get cheap and prompt shipping.Rest of order as advertised.The tire thing was weird -they don't even have that Hutchinson tire on the website.Strange outfit-would order again just for the gamble of it!

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    NoManerz, did your frame come with a derailleur hanger? What is the tire clearance like?

Thanks.
    No hanger, but I found it for 15 bucks. The only tire I have on me is from my freeride bike. It's a 2.5 nevi on a 150mm hub. I couldn't line it up so I used the front hub which is also a bad reference but it is questionable if it really would work. A 2.3 should fit no problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    here is a small update.
    just finished to install BB (got a round file and took about a hour to do).
    then put some decals.
    still need to install derailleurs, shifters, brakes, etc.
    Last edited by kimguroo; 12-15-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    here is a small update.
    just finished to install BB (got a round file and took about a hour to do).
    then put some decals.
    still need to install derailleurs, shifters, brakes, etc.
    That paint/decal theme on the frame and fork is feakin' gorgeous!

What's that blue blobby thing on top of your seat post?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That paint/decal theme on the frame and fork is feakin' gorgeous!

What's that blue blobby thing on top of your seat post?
    thanks for a good comment.
    the blue thing is THE SEAT (actually, that's the name of product as well )
    Nyc bike has yellow seat and it will be more match with the bike but I decide to put a weird looking seat .
    just install brakes and rear and front derailleur.
    I need to finish derailleur cables and chain.
    hopefully, I can finish it tomorrow.
    will post the pictures and complete components list as soon as finish the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I finished to install all the components but Now I am dealing with derailleur adjustments.
    this is the first bike building so can't figure it out how to adjust both derailleurs.
    I will take some times to read or research on derailleur adjustment. (maybe bad installation).
    anyway, here is final pictures of the bike.

list of components.
    spent $569.48

fork (RST-gila t-7) $15
    crankset (TRUVATIV-blaze) $21.22
    bottom bracket (Truvative Gigapipe SL LT ISIS) $6.85
    Shimano XT M765 Front Disc hydro & M760 Rear V-Brake Shifters $71.95
    Shimano SP-18T Bottom Bracket Cable Guide $1.49
    The Seat Ultimate by Ergo $12.99
    seat post clamp/collar ($7.99) 31.8
    rear derailleur ( deore$16.99)
    front derailleur (lx$17.99) 31.8
    seat post (nashbar suspension17.99) 27.2
    performance 26x2.1 terra tire and tube
    rear v-brake caliper : Avid Single Digit 7 Brake $21.33
    rims $118 including skewers
    Marin Oversize 31.8mm Bar & Stem Combo 100mm length & 10 degree rise OE $14.99
    SRAM PG-950 9-Speed Cassette OE 11-32 & Shimano HG-53 chain $24.99
    Cane Creek VP-A71 Aheadset Threadless (O.E.M.) $10.99
    Kona 05 Pseudopod Glow Grip $5.99
    shimano brake adapter $9.45 and shimano LX rotor $9.95
    Frame $58.10
    paint $28.50
    decal $14.25

hopefully, I can adjust derailleurs correctly.
    otherwise, I should bring the bike to LBS and do tune-ups, safety check etc......
    anyway, it was fun though. hope my brother likes it.
    I do appreciate some of your help .

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    What's malco? Also, what is the sticker on the front shock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What's malco? Also, what is the sticker on the front shock?
    malco is my brother's American name and he used to draw a horse ( I took his old book and copied the image.) if he see this bike, he will be surprised by it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    malco is my brother's American name and he used to draw a horse ( I took his old book and copied the image.) if he see this bike, he will be surprised by it.
    This bike is for your brother?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This bike is for your brother?
    Yep.
    He lives in Manhattan right now. I will give this bike as a his birthday present.

Gynecological Emergency
    I just received a shipment of small parts from NYCBikes (BB, crank bolts, & chainring bolts).

I initially placed the order via phone on Friday, December 7. At that time, I was told that the order would ship either later that day, or on Saturday.

On Monday the 10th, I called to check on the order status. They had no record of it. They couldn't even find the sheet that had the list of parts & my credit card number. I insisted that they look again, and call me when they found it. In the meantime, I placed the order via their website. They called me back to say that they were able to find the sheet, and were going to shred it for me.

I got an email back from them later on Monday confirming payment.

I received another email on the 13th stating that it was going to be shipped USPS, and provided a tracking number.

As of Sunday night, the USPS site said the box had left NY for Dallas.

The box arrived in the mail today. Everything was exactly as ordered.

If I need cheap parts again, I won't hesitate to use them. I'll just be sure to use their website instead of the phone.
    M1: El Chupacabra full-rigid SS
    M2: Catamount MFS 1x8
    R1: Team 7-11 EddyMerckx
    R2: Colnago Super

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yep.
    He lives in Manhattan right now. I will give this bike as a his birthday present.
    Holy crap, dude! This puts this entire project in a new light. I am truly blown away and inspired by this. I can't imagine how stoked I would be if I were him! Great work!! Man you've got some good-brother karma coming your way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Holy crap, dude! This puts this entire project in a new light. I am truly blown away and inspired by this. I can't imagine how stoked I would be if I were him! Great work!! Man you've got some good-brother karma coming your way.
    actually, this bike building project means a lot to me.
    my brother had a tough time for a decade (financially). I also could not help him because I am a student (still doing Graduate program).
    when I got married, he couldn't do anything for me. he was always sorry about a lot of things that he could not do anything for me.
    finally, he got a really good job and he does not need to worry about his career anymore.
    since I am still in the school, he supports so many things for me right now.

I could buy any complete bike as a present but he already has a money to buy anything he want. that's why I decide to build this bike for him ( something special and only one in the world ).

yesterday, I found that I put too many spacers on bottom bracket so I removed spacers then finally, I figured how to adjust derailleurs. Now, it's ready to ride.

I still did not like a few things. I don't know I will replace or not.
    1. the seat : I like a weird looking but don't like a color.
    I guess the seat from NYCBIKES might be perfect color match.
    http://www.nycbikes.com/photos.php?item_id=507

2. pedal : I should put yellow BMX platform pedal.

3. grip. I want to put yellow grips but last minute, I change my mind to glow grips but the glow is not strong enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0