mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Any suggestions for getting a good deal

I have a $500 Trek that does have suspension but its mostly for light trails or city. It has 75mm of travel along with it being coil. It doesn't seem to be cutting it on the trails, I get bucked around and the geo doesn't seem to stable since it mostly resembles a road bike frame. I went to my local bike shop, he told me I don't need a full suspension for the trails around here but the hardtail models are a bit expensive for me (over $1000). I do agree with him that a full suspension would be overkill though. They do not hold older models at a discount, unfortunately.

So far I've been trying to look on craiglist/offerup but most bikes on the market are sub $200 department store or has a major problem with it like a destroyed rim. I understand what a slow and heavy inefficient bike feels like and at least need it to be under 30 pounds.

Maybe I should just make a commitment and drop $1200 or so on a good hardtail and enjoy my summer? I know the older models tend to be cheaper but I'm not sure where to find them.

I am looking for a trail bike instead of XC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you can swing it, spend the $1200 or so but on a used hardtail.. might be tough finding something new that's worth it at that price point. Check Pinkbike.com.. A bike like the Kona Honzo might be a good choice if you're ok with a 29er. A seller on there has one for $1300. Don't know your height etc, but it's a size large frame. If you give some more info I can try to help you find something..

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm 5'6'' a bit on the shorter end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At that price, you're definitely better buying used if you have the expertise, particularly if you plan on riding a lot. IE if you cheap out even a few hundred bucks and wind up with a fork that chatters your arms to smithereens, you'd remember the pain more than the money you saved. Ditto for flexy wheels, inaccurate drivetrain, or dodgy brakes.

Newer bikes (2015ish onward) tend to have slacker head angles, shorter chainstays, which make them more fun to ride and more stable on the downhill. I'd be much more focused on geometry (HTA 67 +/- a degree, CS 425mm +/- 5mm) than anything else...

Pinkbike is a great place to look for more enthusiast-oriented used choices than CL.

I'd also highly recommend 27.5+, but that's a topic for another day.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion. I defenitly wouldn't want a cheap 29er with cheap heavy wheels It just wouldn't seem worth it.

Used seems the way to go. I am familiar with servicing a bike for the most part, only thing I am a bit inexperianced would be air forks, or suspension systems. The rest of the components I would be able to assess

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2396352/
    Hit your Spec dealer to try sizes first.

mtbr member
    The Bulls bikes on eBay that they were liquidating were a great deal. There's not a lot of selection left but they have a size small Wild Cup 2 still available.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLS-Wild-...MAAOSwqDhbFyzz

It might be overkill for you but modern geometry, boost sizing and a bunch of XT components for only $900.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So many options. As long as you dont mind getting a Kia instead of a Toyota or Honda like everyone. You can go pretty far with these brands under $1k and hardtail. Any wheel size, and many choices for components. Quality full suspension when you time it right too, even though that is not your thing.

Check the following:
    Bikes Direct
    Diamond back (use corporate login for discount)
    Raleigh (use corporate login for discount)
    The House

Then there are the quasi-bike shop/department store. In CA, we have sports basement. But Dicks sporting goods actually has quality bikes, you just have to be prepared some bikes might not be assembled most correctly.

Check the forums on bigboxbikes.com. So many options....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Some other sources to take a look at for used bikes:
    - Facebook marketplace - lately I've been seeing more individual sellers with reasonable prices and fewer of the resellers that seem to crowd the local craigslist listings. If you have a good idea what you're looking for, setting up notifications is helpful for snagging up good deals since they go fast.

- Facebook groups - around here there's a Michigan bicycle classifieds group that seems to draw postings with more serious bikes than you find in the general marketplace listing. Often things are cross posted to the general marketplace but jot always.

- See if your local mountain bike association(s) have any classifieds. For us in MI that's mmba.org. Sellers sometimes cross post to Craigslist or Facebook but not always.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    bulls bike tries to clear their inventory. Mostly 2015 and some of 2016-17 bikes.
    Great prices. Popular sizes are gone. One Small and big size bikes are available now.

Seller is bbcalameda but looks like they are bulls bike USA.
    Sold as it is (without warranty) but squaretrade warranty from eBay might be an option too.

Most of people used $100 coupon from eBay and during those promotions, most bikes were gone. Probably those eBay promotions might be back and their full suspension XT/SLX set for $800 might be a good choice for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by manpurse View Post
    The Bulls bikes on eBay that they were liquidating were a great deal. There's not a lot of selection left but they have a size small Wild Cup 2 still available.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLS-Wild-...MAAOSwqDhbFyzz

It might be overkill for you but modern geometry, boost sizing and a bunch of XT components for only $900.
    Do you think the small (39cm) might be *too* small for someone 5' 6" and 29-30" inseam?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    IM 5'7 with 30" inseam and I ride a Medium (17inch) frame. I have a Speci Pitch Expert. I test rode my buddies Raleigh which was a small 29'r and I felt cramped on it. I think you would be best fit on a Medium but definitely try some test rides on the 2 sizes to see what fits you best. Remember you can adjust seat height to give you some adjustment

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ebay! Best deals seem to be there if you don't mind bidding and waiting.

mtbr member
    Its prime riding season now, then its holiday season, then shortly into the new year its new model season... and thats when you can get the insane deals. Somewhere around april'ish.

Or go used. Always good deals on used bikes.