mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Another "Universal is the best" thread

I know Jaybo had another Universal thread recently, but I'm so happy with them I figured I'd start another thread.

I've been buying from Universal for the last ~3 years; they get the majority of my bike part $$$. I know how the "Available in 2 to 3 days" works, and factor it in when ordering from UC (I'll occasionally order from Speedgoat for the free shipping, and if I need something quick, I'll use JensonUSA and suffer the sales tax).

Last _January_ I bought a set of Sora STI 7spd shifters (3x7) to upgrade an old touring bike I was going to use as a commuter. Jan, Feb, ... August passed and I finally got around to installing them. After clamping them on I discovered I was shipped 2x7 shifters instead of the 3x's.

One phone call, and no hassles later, they ordered a set of the 3x7's (with the usual "2 to 3 days" + ground shipping) and shipped them to me with the expectation that I'd return the 2x7's later (I'd already cut the cables, and would simply swap the levers).

I'm so pleased that I didn't have to dick around trying to exchange the shifters (after 8mo's, I think it'd be fair to be blown off), I can't imagine ordering from anywhere else now.

Uncle
    Universal kicks keister, period. 3000k + miles on my 17mm wide-rimmed, xc wheels they built for me in 2004 -- have never trued them once nor needed to. Hooked me up on a price match that beat all price matches: not only did they match the sale price elsewhere ($40 lower than UC's price) on a set of lights, they also gave me the free shipping that only universal was offering; saved me an additional $12. I hope they're making money because I'd hate to see them go. Looking forward to seeing their new locale next time I'm in the PDX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just recieved my first order from them yesterday. It came as promised and included things that I needed, but were not specified in the deal (I was just uninformed I suppose). The hand builts were built on Stan's rims, so they also came with Stan's tape and stems...which saved me a few bucks I was planning on spending anyway.

They were beautifully built and packed reasonably well. I will definitely be ordering from them again.

Members who have read this thread: 0