All mountain tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

All mountain tires?

Looking for a good, long lasting xc/am tire for the mid atlantic. That is to say, sheds mud but still works on a variety of soil types.

Cheaper the better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    IRC Trailbears are pretty versatile, and usually on sale./

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can never go wrong with panaracer Fire xc's. The wire bead's are usually on sale for pretty cheap. I'm from the midatlantic as well.

Right now i'm running Continental's... The Cross Country's up front and the Explorer on the back for diggin into the mud on climbs. Tho this setup will cost more than the panaracers.

So yea, i say go Panaracer Fire XC's.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I like the IRC Mibro's.... first time on them so I don't know about wear, but they handle awesome.... FWIW I've been on them for about 700 miles and they still have good tread on them.

it's....
    I 2nd IRC TrailBear. One set will last you a few years and good for overall riding.

SuperInstigator
    Kenda Nevegals? I'm not sure how good they shed mud (we don't have mud here, except in places you don't want to ride), but their tread pattern suggests very good mud-shedding capabilities.

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HailRedskins
    Can never go wrong with panaracer Fire xc's. The wire bead's are usually on sale for pretty cheap. I'm from the midatlantic as well.

Right now i'm running Continental's... The Cross Country's up front and the Explorer on the back for diggin into the mud on climbs. Tho this setup will cost more than the panaracers.

So yea, i say go Panaracer Fire XC's.

Good call. Fire XC's are what I use in PA and they work very well. I only use it on the rear though, I prefer WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 Race on the front. Pretty light setup and both tires can usually be found on sale. I have no experience with IRC, but they sound good also.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by amor587
    I like the IRC Mibro's
    I really liked the Mibro's but as they get worn to about 1/2 the tread they no
    longer grip real well. So I just put a set of the IRC Backcountry's on my Giant
    AC and have ridden them a few times. I'm impressed. They are really working
    well in the rough stuff and did well just last week in some swamp mud. As for
    wear I can tell you but the price, like the Mibro's, can't be beat. I was running
    the 2.1 Mibro's but have gone to the 2.25 in the Backcountry. The tread on the
    Backcountry is more agressive and handles so much better in the turns than
    the Mibro's did. I'm anxious to see how they wear. But at the price, I wouldn't
    care if I had to replace them every year.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    I second the IRC Backcountry option. very good traction and durability. well balanced rolling resistance too. I am really impressed with these tires. I bought about 5 pairs of these tires. But, my first pair is still like new even after few hundred miles of aggressive riding. i like the way it handles mud, wet root, rocks, and dirt - both in downhill and uphill sections.

I even ride it on country roads (way to the trail head) almost every day. but, have not seen any loss of traction.

my second favorit is Panaracer Cinder up front and IRC Backcountry in the back.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Thread Terrorist
    DO NOT buy Kenda Nevegals, THis is the worst tire ever created.

Then again, if you like pinch flats, go for it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I run a 2.35 weirwolf in front and 2.1 irc mythos xc or 2.1 hutchinson bulldog in the back and they work great for me. I ride in NC.

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

Apparently some people don't agree with you...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_124051.shtml

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Noo Zeelander
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

I agree !!! Squirmy they are !!
    Move along please ..... Nothing to see here !!

http://www.nelsonmountainbikeclub.org.nz/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I really like my Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E as my Rear tire. It has decent volume and grips quite well. It sheds mud pretty well, too. The downside is it wears fairly quickly, but thats the price you pay for a really grippy tire. One another note, I don't think I would use it as a front tire since the knobs aren't very aggressive along the edges. Running about 32-33psi and haven't had any flats yet through several rides.

Front tire I'm running is a Michelin Mountain X-trem 2.2 which handles well. I have the dual compound, which still looks brand new after 4-5 rides, but its a little slippery on roots. Otherwise its great, big enough that I can run ~30psi and not worry about pinch flats (I'm 160lbs). Also, don't use this tire in thick mud, because the knobs are huge and trap heavy mud.

Bike Geek

Kenda $5

Kenda Kinetics 2.6 for $5 on their website sale page. For that price, there is no reason not to try it. I bought a couple to use as my technical riding tire. 2.6 will fit on a lot of forks, but not on a lot of frames.
    RIP AL DAVIS

Members who have read this thread: 0