AEBike 15% restocking fee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

AEBike 15% restocking fee

I find it a bad practice to ask people to pay a 15% restocking fee for a brand new item when all the others don't charge, Cambria, Jenson, Performance, Nashbar, Go-Ride.............. non of them charge the restocking fee. I won't be using them any more.

Don't touch me!
    In AEBike's defense, they're a bike shop, not an high volume online retailer. They normally have or are near the best prices for items I've looked for. But yes, their return policy forces you to do your homework. I'll still order from them though.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I couldn't agree more -- AE bike routinely has the best prices day-to-day, reasonable shipping, and relatively quick, to boot. In their defense, the restocking fee is <b>clearly disclosed</b> under RETURNS on their <i>Policies and Shipping</i> page. Where's your beef? I'd suggest that in the future, if you don't like paying restocking fees, then don't order from a shop that charges them!

I figure most shoppers realize that AEbike doesn't stock the vast majority of the items they list. Instead, they process the order through QBP, and act as a middle man. I presume the costs are low because they don't have a bunch of inventory sitting on their shelves (waiting to eventually be sold -- some day).

Every return means one more something or other collecting dust on their shelf.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No Beef

You are right, I won't order from them again. Thanks Speedub

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    I couldn't agree more -- AE bike routinely has the best prices day-to-day, reasonable shipping, and relatively quick, to boot. In their defense, the restocking fee is <b>clearly disclosed</b> under RETURNS on their <i>Policies and Shipping</i> page. Where's your beef? I'd suggest that in the future, if you don't like paying restocking fees, then don't order from a shop that charges them!

I figure most shoppers realize that AEbike doesn't stock the vast majority of the items they list. Instead, they process the order through QBP, and act as a middle man. I presume the costs are low because they don't have a bunch of inventory sitting on their shelves (waiting to eventually be sold -- some day).

Every return means one more something or other collecting dust on their shelf.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Or as someone else stated, just make sure that what you are buying is exactly what you want. This way you get a good deal and dont have to worry about the restocking fee. A little research goes a long way.

I wouldnt count them out though. They provide a good service with good prices.

MONKEYMAN
    best deal on surly wool jerseys around- I've bought two already
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I represent AEBike.

We hate charging restocking fees. Unfortunately, we have to. We are not massive warehousing operations like the "big names" in bike online retail. We're a small brick and mortar shop that my dad opened 30 years ago. When people order stuff from our site, we get it from our supplier and turn it around to you in a day or two.

As a family business, we are not big fans of returns, and therefore, we do not returns parts to our supplier if we can help it at all. Therefore, when online customers return things to us, we keep it. It gets put in a rack in the corner of our showroom and people paw through it and usually buy it for way below our wholesale cost.

As hopefully you can tell by our competitive web prices, our profit margin on this stuff is not sky high. A moderate restocking fee enables us to do this in two ways: Helps take a bite off from the hit we take when we keep a return, and helps encourage customers to make sure they are ordering the correct thing in the first place.

I hope you will consider buying from us in the future, but if not, thank you for your past business.

AEBike

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by nelluk42
    I represent AEBike.

We hate charging restocking fees. Unfortunately, we have to. We are not massive warehousing operations like the "big names" in bike online retail. We're a small brick and mortar shop that my dad opened 30 years ago. When people order stuff from our site, we get it from our supplier and turn it around to you in a day or two.

As a family business, we are not big fans of returns, and therefore, we do not returns parts to our supplier if we can help it at all. Therefore, when online customers return things to us, we keep it. It gets put in a rack in the corner of our showroom and people paw through it and usually buy it for way below our wholesale cost.

As hopefully you can tell by our competitive web prices, our profit margin on this stuff is not sky high. A moderate restocking fee enables us to do this in two ways: Helps take a bite off from the hit we take when we keep a return, and helps encourage customers to make sure they are ordering the correct thing in the first place.

I hope you will consider buying from us in the future, but if not, thank you for your past business.

AEBike
    Nicely put!!!

Old school BMXer
    I tend to agree with the original poster that it's poor customer service to charge a restocking fee. On the other hand, I see where AEBikes is coming from, especially if they do sell stuff at lower costs than others. It's a tough situation for both buyer and seller. If you know what you want, then AEBike can be a good deal, but if it's risky, such as clothing, helmets, or something that may not work, you're best off going with a dealer with high quality service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nelluk42
    I represent AEBike.

AEBike
    good response!!! I have never had to return anything to aebike, but wanted to commend them for their reply, especially this part:
    "I hope you will consider buying from us in the future, but if not, thank you for your past business."

very apt response. I will continue to buy my parts there in the future, and will eat that 15% resticking fee if I have to return something.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    If you know what you want, then AEBike can be a good deal, but if it's risky, such as clothing, helmets, or something that may not work, you're best off going with a dealer with high quality service.
    I have to defend AEBIKE on this one. They do have HIGH QUALITY SERVICE, but they are a small business. Coming from a family that runs a small business, I can understand the reasoning behind the restocking fee. Unfortunately, these types of expenses are associated with smaller shops.

You are absolutely correct in saying that if you're not sure about sizing, length, etc it may be better to take the chance elsewhere. But, when you know what you want, these guys can help out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Where else can you order all the different items AEBike lists. Would be impossible for them to inventory all these items. And they provide this service at what seems like a very small markup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    nice! I have never returned anything I ordered, but I would expect to have some type of penalty for my mistake...the response from nel. has put aebike on my list of places to look when buying on-line, I like the small shops
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've bought from aebike 5 times since 2001. Each order was handled well with basically lowest price i could find for obscure, qbp catalog parts.

I returned sram derailers to them once and they didn't even charge me the restocking fee, even though i was expecting it.

They rank very high in my experience with many bicycle etailers.

Just Ride!
    If you know what you want I highly recommend Aebike. Two of my bikes(Surly Long Haul Trucker and a Pugsley) were built from parts bought from Aebike and I have to say their price is sure hard to beat. I would also say shipping is fair and I don't have to pay sales tax w/c is a big deal for me because I live in Southern California.

mtbr member
    I would never order form someplace that has a restocking fee. I always review the return policy before purchasing online. If you have to return something, there is no real cost benefit after the shipping charges and the fee. Even if I know for 100% that its what I want, I would still find someplace else to purchase. There are just too many other reputable places with awesome prices to deal with a company and their restocking fee.

Everybody spends their money their own way, so whatever works for you.

Ps. I also find AE's website cumbersome.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Great response from AEB. I think that unless the store has clearly screwed up, a restocking fee is completely reasonable. Too many people seem to buy and return goods on whim, and handling this process and inventory is quite expensive for a store.

If the store is selling something cheaply, I'd be glad to run the risk of incurring a restocking fee to keep their overheads low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    just bought my mt bike for aebike and had such great service, Went back to the store today and bought a set of rims.. Its nice to see a mom and pop still around.And a mom and pop that can still get there hands on the higher end stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0