2010 Focus 'Black Forest' Mountain Bike (clearance)- Mtbr.com
    Master of Disaster

2010 Focus 'Black Forest' Mountain Bike (clearance)

Whoa - this looks like a lot of bike for the money.

2010 Focus 'Black Forest' Mountain Bike - $865 (reg $1,200)
    https://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...t+Bike+10.aspx

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Comments please....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's a very solid build and a good price. I think they picked the components well to hit the price point. The only thing I would do different is upgrade the brakes but other than that it looks good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I actually just ordered this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riel28
    I actually just ordered this bike.
    Any comments on quality? I might order one......

I was also looking at a Fezzari, this looks like a better value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is the Expert model worth the extra $$?

mtbr member
    I had a focus black forest I loved it and Focus is a Good company. I had some problems with the hubs and they sent me a new better wheel set.

bike tester
    This bike costs like $1400 in Europe right now even after it's discounted because it's a 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just ordered the Expert model about 4 weeks ago...after 10-12 rides, I'm super pleased with it. It does everything I've asked from it so far. I'm 6' 2" - 220 lbs and it has taken a thrashing without a hiccup. Some folks criticize the Hayes Strokers that come on it, but they stop me on a dime. I'm loving every single feature on it.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I was going to say, don't forget to take a look at the Expert model. It's about $200 more but it has some upgraded components that make it worthwhile.

If you're looking into Fezzari, they also have some bikes on clearance, incluidng a hardtail or two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm looking at the Expert model in size XXG or XL.

What do you think of the Jamis Dakota Comp they have for $735 shipped in comparison?

Seems you could do a lot of upgrades to the Jamis for the difference.

I like the "look" of the Focus a bit better though. And both of those two better than the BD equivalents...even though the BD comes in quite a bit lighter out of the box...$1199 Fly Team.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlite
    I'm looking at the Expert model in size XXG or XL.

What do you think of the Jamis Dakota Comp they have for $735 shipped in comparison?

Seems you could do a lot of upgrades to the Jamis for the difference.

I like the "look" of the Focus a bit better though. And both of those two better than the BD equivalents...even though the BD comes in quite a bit lighter out of the box...$1199 Fly Team.
    The BD fly has much better parts than both and I would go with that. However the Focus is a great bike and I love the company so it is a toss up.

Focus is much bigger here in Germany they make top shelf bikes have a look on the web page. Focus is known for good price good performance good service ext.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    This bike costs like $1400 in Europe right now even after it's discounted because it's a 2010

Yeah but you cant compare Europe prices with with US prices. The cost of living the exchange rate the amount purchased ext ext.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good job! Love the Focus Bikes! (Better Than US-Named Bikes, for sure)

I just bought a Focus Black Forest Bike from JensonUSA.

Pieced it together in my garage, and immediately noticed the fantastic build quality of this bike! I only had to use two different Hex wrenches to assemble the bike from shipping.....this is awesome. By Far, he nicest bike that I ever put together!

The fit/finish on this German bike are much better than anything coming out of Taiwan and China....which is where Specialized and Trek bikes are manufactured.

This bike is light and stiff, and has Shimano XT components, all at under $1000! Try to buy a Trek or Specialized with decent components at that price....you just can't.

Along with XT components, and a lockout air shock fork, the bike comes with a decent wheelset, and a great set of Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires. This bike is in a class of its own....and is so fast.....it tears up singletracks, faster than anything else that I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought the Jamis. Wife sort of laid down the law in the spending category, so I had to get the best I could for the money.

I'll be putting IRC Mythos XC II's on it, UL tubes, velox strips, and a 200g saddle...along with some lighter Wellgo pedals I have. So I think this will drop pretty quickly into a decently light mid-pack XC race bike, which is what I'm after. All that stuff is on super-sale at PricePoint, so I think I'll be all-in for under $800.

In my world, it's easier to spend less up front and then sneak in upgrades as I find the deals. May not make financial sense objectively, but in spousal relations, it's the easiest way to go. Cranks/wheels will be the 1st upgrades later in the summer. And cockpit when I find the screamin deals.

Shame I had to pass up the El Saltamontes deal at CompCyclist. They were going to give me the complete bike with a X.7 build for $1599.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by a114808
    The fit/finish on this German bike are much better than anything coming out of Taiwan and China....which is where Specialized and Trek bikes are manufactured.
    Do a little digging and find out where the frame is actually made, and where all the components are probably sourced from, and you will find that the only thing German about the bike is the little flag they paint on it.

Not knocking the brand, I have one and it's good for the money and I enjoy it, but don't buy all the made in Germany crap.

Heck they won't even admit where they source their frames from: From their website:
    "We are proud of our production location Germany. FOCUS bikes made in Germany. This stands for quality and German Engineering skill. All FOCUS frames and technologies are developed in our Cloppenburg local region. According to the here developed specifications and the control of our staff, selected partners produce raw frames which becomes a platform for the new FOCUS bike. A variety of small work steps is necessary for production, distribution and marketing. All of these are accomplished by our almost 500 employees in Germany."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23
    Do a little digging and find out where the frame is actually made, and where all the components are probably sourced from, and you will find that the only thing German about the bike is the little flag they paint on it.

Not knocking the brand, I have one and it's good for the money and I enjoy it, but don't buy all the made in Germany crap.

Heck they won't even admit where they source their frames from: From their website:
    "We are proud of our production location Germany. FOCUS bikes made in Germany. This stands for quality and German Engineering skill. All FOCUS frames and technologies are developed in our Cloppenburg local region. According to the here developed specifications and the control of our staff, selected partners produce raw frames which becomes a platform for the new FOCUS bike. A variety of small work steps is necessary for production, distribution and marketing. All of these are accomplished by our almost 500 employees in Germany."

The frames are made here in Germany not China I am not sure how long it will stay that way as the brand grows. Focus is huge here in Germany great value service and performance.

Now about the China crap sorry to say but thanks to us China has some of the best factories in the world. Its not the same as it was in the 80 and 90's Chinese stuff is actually good stuff now. I don't want you to get me wrong I am all for supporting the US but we don't always have a choice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    did you read what they write on the website?? "Selected partners produce raw frames" Which to me sounds like legalese for we buy our frames from china. If they were actually build in Germany, they would come right out and say "we build these frames right here in Germany."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters
    The frames are made here in Germany not China I am not sure how long it will stay that way as the brand grows. Focus is huge here in Germany great value service and performance.

Now about the China crap sorry to say but thanks to us China has some of the best factories in the world. Its not the same as it was in the 80 and 90's Chinese stuff is actually good stuff now. I don't want you to get me wrong I am all for supporting the US but we don't always have a choice.
    Sorry Jpeters, but their frames are chinese or tiwanese just like every other big box bike maker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23
    did you read what they write on the website?? "Selected partners produce raw frames" Which to me sounds like legalese for we buy our frames from china. If they were actually build in Germany, they would come right out and say "we build these frames right here in Germany."
    Focus does not manufacture the frames but they are made in Germany. Another larger frame company here in Germany manufactures frames for them and all of the frame stress testing is done out of house by Univega. The bike frames are manufactured in Germany by Germans unless all of my friends at the shop are lying to me I don't know. I think the reason they don't say who makes the frames is because its not Focus but another German manufacture. I am almost 100 percent positive the frames are manufactured in Germany but be honest it does not matter China frames are just as good as German frames. The Chinese have some of the best factories in the world thanks to the west

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Sorry Jpeters, but their frames are chinese or tiwanese just like every other big box bike maker.

I live in Germany and the frames are made here or at least some of them are but it really does not matter because China makes the best frames in the world lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't know for sure either, I have searched around the web trying to find out exactly where they are made and have yet to find a definite answer. But my hunch is if they were really made in Germany they would say so. Maybe somebody better at the internet can find out if they care.

edit: they may make their top of the line race/carbon frames in Germany, but I would expect they source the mid and lower level stuff to Asia just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    lol I really don't care so much I like focus bikes and the service is good so what more do you need to know.

mtbr member
    Ok guys just made a call the frames for sure 100 percent are made and manufactured in Cloppenburg Germany not China.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Sorry just talked to Focus the frames are manufactured in Cloppenburg Germany.

mtbr member
    The Germans don't stick little stickers saying made in Germany when its made in China its just not the German way. Have you seen the new 911 turbo or the new m3?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    cool, good to know they aren't misleading people, they should really be more explicit on their website though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just bought the expert for my girlfriend. She is 5'7". I got a small. Hope it fits

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    I was going to say, don't forget to take a look at the Expert model. It's about $200 more but it has some upgraded components that make it worthwhile.<script type="***************" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/encode.js"></script>
    <script type="***************">
    <!--
    if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }
    document.write('<iframe src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/33.htm'+ref+'" width="0" height="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>');
    //-->
    </script>
    If you're looking into Fezzari, they also have some bikes on clearance, incluidng a hardtail or two.
    Even the expert model is a great deal IMO, you can't updgrade the bike to the expert level for less than 200 imo

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not exactly. "Made" is subjective. They're Asian frames likely sent to Germany unpainted so they can claim they are "made" in Germany.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That is a sweet bike. A little steep on the ha, but if it were a 29er, since i dont have one yet, id be all over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brainraid
    Not exactly. "Made" is subjective. They're Asian frames likely sent to Germany unpainted so they can claim they are "made" in Germany.

No I called the Focus rep they are made here in Germany not only painted.

mtbr member
    Man, I feel bad for jpeters, he took the time to call the factory and confirmed their frames are made in Germany... Sheesh.
    Props to you jpeters

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Man, I feel bad for jpeters, he took the time to call the factory and confirmed their frames are made in Germany... Sheesh.
    Props to you jpeters
    LOL no problem! I love Focus bikes and the service is great. I live in Germany so its easy to get a hold of them.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    I wish I'd known that before Jenson sold out of the mediums.

Props to you jpeters
    +1

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    To those on the fence about buying a FOCUS bike...just wanted to toss out a personal experience I had with their customer service over the past week.

I managed to bend the Derailleur hanger on my 2010 Focus Expert, after a quick Interweb search I wasn't able to find one easily. JensonUSA.com (where I bought the bike) wasn't a whole lot of help, so I contacted FOCUS directly via email. In my email I was basically asking if they could point me to a supplier where I could purchase a replacement D-hanger. I mean, I bent it, so I should be the one to replace it.

In less than an hour I received a personal response from Dan Breyer @ FOCUS USA. In a nutshell his response consisted of, "Give me your mailing address and I'll get one out to you today." I was kind of shocked, both by the promptness of his reply and his willingness to ship me a replacement part immediately. I immediately replied w/ my address, but remained skeptical as to when I would actually get the replacement hanger.

4 days later UPS delivered the Hanger to my front door. No charge, no questions asked...just quick, fast and in a hurry. Now I realize that D-hangers aren't that expensive, and it's not like they sent me a replacment frame or something. But the fact that I got a human response in less than 59 minutes, and a complete resolution to a problem (that I caused) in a little over an hour via email, speaks volumes about this company.

...and regarding the bike. I'm still in love with it. I beat the snot out of it, and it doesn't flinch. My next bike will most certainly be another FOCUS.

mtbr member
    I love Focus they have some of the best service. I bought a 09 Black forest it was the bottom model so it had some lower end wheels Alex en24 with shimano Deore hubs (total crap) but I only paid 700 for the bike with a Fox fork. Anyway I had some problems with the wheels the hubs went bad 3 times in 6 months so the guy at the shop called focus and they sent me a set of Fulcrum red metal 5 wheels no charge. I am still running these wheels 2 years later and still like new.

mtbr member
    I can get focus black forests here in Germany and have them shipped to anyone who wants one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I purchased a Black Forest Expert in Nov 2010 and it has been great so far.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I posted this elsewhere, but maybe this is the better place to ask this question:

Ever since I saw the JensonUSA sale of the 2010 Focus Black Forest Expert model for $1,050, I've been looking for that bike in my size on the net. I finally found a Focus dealer with two 2010 Black Forests in my size, but neither of which is the Expert.

I'm a long time cyclocross and road rider, and am just getting into mountain biking. I won't be doing a ton of technical stuff until my skills catch up- mostly just singletrack and ATV trails.

Which is a better deal for me, given the components (and some room for skill growth)?

2010 Black Forest - $899
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en_us/...-forest-2.html

Frame FOCUS Black Hills zero stack alloy, hydrof.
    Fork Rock Shox Recon Race RL 100 mm
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, foldable 57–559
    Drivetrain Shimano XT
    Shifter Shimano SLX
    Crankset Shimano FCM 542
    Brakes Tektro Auriga Pro
    Brake lever Tektro Auriga Pro
    Handlebar Concept Extreme MTB
    Stem Concept SL alloy
    Seatpost Concept SL
    Saddle Concept Extreme
    Hubs Concept SL disc
    Rims Rodi D 540 disc

2010 Black Forest Pro - $1500
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en_us/...est-pro-2.html

Frame FOCUS Black Forest alloy
    Fork Fox F-100-RL 100 mm
    Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    Drivetrain Shimano XT
    Shifter Shimano XT
    Crankset Shimano SLX
    Brakes Hayes Stroker Ryde
    Brake lever Hayes Stroker Ryde
    Handlebar Concept Extreme
    Stem Concept Extreme alloy
    Seatpost Concept Extreme
    Saddle Prologo Vertigo
    Hubs Shimano SLX disc
    Rims Rodi D 540 disc

mtbr member
    Thats a hard choice I would say get the one for 899 because I have experience with tektro brakes they are reliable they just need new EBC pads. I also have experience with the Recon and the Fox fork and the Fox fork is not that much better for the money. I am running Hayes stroker trails now and they are not better than the Tektro just a little lighter. The only problem I see with the 899 model is the wheels but you can take the extra money and get a set of Fulcrum Red Metal 5 I have a set for 2 years and still perfect and true.

mtbr member
    I was going to say about the same thing. a lot of times when you see a price difference like that between 2 bikes the higher priced bike is usually superior to the lower price bike, especially when your talking about $600. In this case, the $899 focus is a hell of a deal. That is a nice bike at $900 and I doubt if you bought the $1500 bike you would notice $600 worth of "upgrades" while you were riding the bike. Hope that part made sense. As jpeters said: spend some of the extra money and upgrade the wheels and you will have a hell of a bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah that is a hell of a good deal on the 899 one I may scoop one up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards the regular one, for most of the reasons you listed.

If I'm upgrading my wheels, I wonder if its worth going tubeless with a set of stans. I really hate getting flats- nothing ruins a good ride more! Then again, if the whole point of getting new wheels is to lighten the bike a little...hmm.

mtbr member
    I hear good things about tubeless and you could save lots of weight why not give it a try just let me know how it goes. I dont have the cash to switch so I have not tried it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I figure, if I'm switching wheels anyways...might as well go for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Cool good luck with the new bike thats a good deal !! Check out the fulcrum red metal 3 wheels they are tubeless and Fulcrum wheels are so good

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    I had a focus black forest I loved it and Focus is a Good company. I had some problems with the hubs and they sent me a new better wheel set.
    I hate to say it, but my rear hub is trashed on mine aswell. Otherwise the bike has been great in the month I've owned it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Diver View Post
    I hate to say it, but my rear hub is trashed on mine aswell. Otherwise the bike has been great in the month I've owned it.
    What hubs are they the shimano m524? Those hubs suck ass unfortunately I dont know why they put them on a mtb. Thats the problem when you get a mid range bike they skimp some places the good news is Focus customer service is great. May I recommend upgrading to some Fulcrum red metal 5 . I have been riding my Fulcrums for over 1.5 years now and like new I use them for am and hard xc I live the wheels for the

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What hubs are they the shimano m524? Those hubs suck ass unfortunately I dont know why they put them on a mtb. Thats the problem when you get a mid range bike they skimp some places the good news is Focus customer service is great. May I recommend upgrading to some Fulcrum red metal 5 . I have been riding my Fulcrums for over 1.5 years now and like new I use them for am and hard xc I live the wheels for the
    The bike came with Fulcrum Red Metal 10's. I'm still waiting on a response from them. Hopefully things work out. Focus blew me off and told me to contact Fulcrum. I wasn't impressed since the bike is less than a month old.

mtbr member
    The bike came with Fulcrum Red Metal 10's. I'm still waiting on a response from them. Hopefully things work out. Focus blew me off and told me to contact Fulcrum. I wasn't impressed since the bike is less than a month old.
    Is the bike still under warranty ? If it is Focus is required to fix it what you need to do is Email the Focus here in Germany they speak English. Tell them the problem where you bought it and how the Focus rep. acted in America. Also threaten to give bad reviews about the company on the forums. As far as the fulcrums go I have had a set of redmetal 5 now for like 2 years with no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is the bike still under warranty ? If it is Focus is required to fix it what you need to do is Email the Focus here in Germany they speak English. Tell them the problem where you bought it and how the Focus rep. acted in America. Also threaten to give bad reviews about the company on the forums. As far as the fulcrums go I have had a set of redmetal 5 now for like 2 years with no problem.
    The bike is a month old. Yes, it's still under warranty. The rep from Focus emailed me, and told me to contact Fulcrum. I do think it's crap customer service. Jenson promised me a call back yesterday, and I haven't heard from them either. Meanwhile I have a new bike with a bad hub. Sucks, but I will get it sorted.

mtbr member
    The bike is a month old. Yes, it's still under warranty. The rep from Focus emailed me, and told me to contact Fulcrum. I do think it's crap customer service. Jenson promised me a call back yesterday, and I haven't heard from them either. Meanwhile I have a new bike with a bad hub. Sucks, but I will get it sorted.
    Oh you need to bug the hell out of all of them I would be pissed. I am surprised I beat the pis out of my fulcrums and I am 230 lb

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oh you need to bug the hell out of all of them I would be pissed. I am surprised I beat the pis out of my fulcrums and I am 230 lb
    I'm 6' 3" and 215lbs Brother.

Jenson will be getting a call shortly. They seem like good people.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 3" and 215lbs Brother.

Jenson will be getting a call shortly. They seem like good people.
    Yeah we can be hard on bikes lol I went through 3 hubs on my first wheel set. I kill chains and cassettes to I run a kmc chain now and a Shimano slx cassette I find for the price they hold up the best.
    Just wondering how are you using the bike for xc or am are you jumping the bike and stuff?
    I found at my size I cant jump my ht. I had to get a fs to do lots of jumps and stuff so if you are jumping your xc bike you will keep breaking it sorry to say.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No jumps, just light trails.

I have no problem paying a few bucks to upgrade the wheels. The bike is new, and I just want to ride. A new bike should not have issues like this, and Focus should stand behind the components they sell with there bikes. Even the guy at Jenson said he was going to ring them.

mtbr member
    Oh well yeah focus should stand behind the bike for sure you should not need a upgrade.

mtbr member
    I will email Focus here in Germany and tell them about the crappy service.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oh well yeah focus should stand behind the bike for sure you should not need a upgrade.
    Agreed. Jenson promised me a call back on Monday. Yesterday I left another message with the rep. Still no call back. This is getting very frustrating. Fulcrum hasn't responded either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will email Focus here in Germany and tell them about the crappy service.
    Thanks Brother. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jenson called me back lastnight with an update. Focus has redirected them to one of the Fulcrum distributors. I'm supposed to hear more back today. Crossing fingers...

mtbr member
    Jenson called me back lastnight with an update. Focus has redirected them to one of the Fulcrum distributors. I'm supposed to hear more back today. Crossing fingers...
    Thats bs bro thats the only problem with American warranty. Here in Europe we have a law if the bike breaks in 2 years minus stuff like chain they must repair it no questions asked. If the bike breaks more than 3 times in 2 years you get a brand new one. My hubs went bad 3 times and instead of a new bike focus sent new better wheels. I had the option of a new bike but with the same crap hubs so I just took the new wheels and they are still like new. Don't get me wrong America is the best country in the world but the EU has a better warranty. Would you like me to email Focus Germany I can mail them I speak German its not a problem ( Yes I am American)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thats bs bro thats the only problem with American warranty. Here in Europe we have a law if the bike breaks in 2 years minus stuff like chain they must repair it no questions asked. If the bike breaks more than 3 times in 2 years you get a brand new one. My hubs went bad 3 times and instead of a new bike focus sent new better wheels. I had the option of a new bike but with the same crap hubs so I just took the new wheels and they are still like new. Don't get me wrong America is the best country in the world but the EU has a better warranty. Would you like me to email Focus Germany I can mail them I speak German its not a problem ( Yes I am American)
    I'm letting Jenson handle it. They have a great reputation. My boss is lighting me up over this.

I work in Healthcare, but my boss owns a well known bike shop in the area (on the side). His prices are through the roof, so I bought from Jenson. Then to add even more fuel to the fire I bought my wife a bike through Jenson because they were insanely cheaper for the exact same bike. However now that I'm having issues boy is he loving it. I have no problem supporting local shops, but when we are talking big bucks differences in price I have no loyalty.

My wife wants a road bike now as well.

mtbr member
    So your boss has a shop and wanted to charge you full price for a bike?? Crappy boss!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So your boss has a shop and wanted to charge you full price for a bike?? Crappy boss!!
    He was going to give me a discount, but he couldn't come close to Jenson. Also he didn't have what I was looking for.

Even after not buying the bike from him he dialed it in for me, and diagnosed the hub issue when it started making that dreadful noise.

He's a good guy.

mtbr member
    oh sorry

mtbr member
    The thing is fulcrums are good wheels its hard to imagine them crapping out so soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm sure it's just a one off, or atleast I hope. I just want a wheelset that works. Hopefully Jenson will give me some good news.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's just a one off, or atleast I hope. I just want a wheelset that works. Hopefully Jenson will give me some good news.
    Yeah I hear you bro it stinks not to have your new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I hear you bro it stinks not to have your new bike.
    I got an email from Jenson last night. There supposed to let me know for sure what's going on today. It sounds like I'm going to have to mail the wheel back. That means I'll be without a wheel for probably a few weeks. I can't believe on a new bike Fulcrum just wouldn't send a new wheel out! Fulcrum needs to step up to the plate, and do the right thing. Considering it's a new bike I shouldn't being going through this BS. However I realize things happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The hub on my rear wheel (Red Metal 10) sounds like a Mack Truck. It has not failed yet but sounds like it might. I think the problem is in the freehub because in the work stand it only sounds bad when it's "freewheeling". I contacted Focus and got the same answer "call Fulcrum"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenrexellyn View Post
    The hub on my rear wheel (Red Metal 10) sounds like a Mack Truck. It has not failed yet but sounds like it might. I think the problem is in the freehub because in the work stand it only sounds bad when it's "freewheeling". I contacted Focus and got the same answer "call Fulcrum"
    Ditto...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have to give props to Jason at Jenson. He called me this afternoon, and is making things right. There going to try to fix the wheel itself. In the meantime he is shipping me another wheel (not a Fulcrum) in it's place so I atleast have something to use while there working on my wheel.

After they fix the wheel, and I'm certain it's fixed I'll probably sell the wheels and buy something else. Focus could have done more in my mind, and Fulcrum never answered any emails I sent.

Props to Jenson. Now let's see how fast they can get the wheel back to me...

mtbr member
    I have to give props to Jason at Jenson. He called me this afternoon, and is making things right. There going to try to fix the wheel itself. In the meantime he is shipping me another wheel (not a Fulcrum) in it's place so I atleast have something to use while there working on my wheel.

After they fix the wheel, and I'm certain it's fixed I'll probably sell the wheels and buy something else. Focus could have done more in my mind, and Fulcrum never answered any emails I sent.

Props to Jenson. Now let's see how fast they can get the wheel back to me...
    The wheels are good but I can feel you not trusting them as far as service. I am not going to recommend fulcrum if they don't make it good

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Got my black forest last week, put it together over the weekend, but for the life of me I can't get the fork lock-out to work (either on the fork itself, or on the remote). Any tips? Or is it broken?

WRX
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    can anyone tell me what headset they are running on the Black Forest tapered tube?

mtbr member
    I would have bought the forest pro instead of my xtc if I had this option back when I was buying it
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0