2007 XTR Crank: Where is the best deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

... and if we just ... 2007 XTR Crank: Where is the best deal?

2007 XTR Crank
    What is the good price?
    Where are the best deal that I can order in US?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Performance has them for $499 with an additional 15% off today only...not too bad of a price, considering where they start at MSRP

mtbr member
    Do you mean they have to originate in the US, or they will just be shiped here? Order them from chainreactioncycles.com, they are ~$370, less 10 GBP (so now down to almost $350) and free shipping. You'll have them in about a week. I've had no trouble with ordering from them, and you get them for 17% under their general price as we don't pay VAT, which all Europeans have to pay.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=536

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Even though chainreactioncycles.com is in the UK, it's still probably the cheapest place to order them shipped to the US. For some reason, Shimano stuff can be super cheap if bought overseas..

SuperInstigator
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

100% recycled

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Chain Reaction $370

Try Chain Reaction for $370, no tax and free shipping. I've bought from them before and they've shipped to the US with no problems. If you don't want to buy from the UK you can aways see if a US retailer will price match. It's amazing how much cheaper some Shimano stuff is over in Europe vs the US. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15143

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead
    Try Chain Reaction for $370, no tax and free shipping. I've bought from them before and they've shipped to the US with no problems. If you don't want to buy from the UK you can aways see if a US retailer will price match. It's amazing how much cheaper some Shimano stuff is over in Europe vs the US. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15143
    Man chain reaction cycles is the most expensive store in Europe, keep away! If you can price match from US to EU use actionsports or bellatisport.

I have the same problem when buying stuff made in the US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i saw 299 somewhere yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalbanker
    i saw 299 somewhere yesterday.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

Also universalcycles is running a 15% off 300 for returning customers. I believe.
    Willis

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by willis.4
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

Also universalcycles is running a 15% off 300 for returning customers. I believe.
    that isn't a M970, 2007 model though. That's the previous generation XTR

mtbr member
    My bad I didn't even notice that. I guess there is more of a difference between the two than I thought.
    Willis

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    M960 is the proprietary bolt pattern with limited choices for replacing the rings (Shimano and uh Middleburn are it I think).

M970 is back to the standard 4 bolt BCD so you can get nearly anybody's rings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2007 XTR Partial Group

All 2007 XTR latest and greatest partial group from Starbike in UK. I ordered 15 days ago and everything arrived today.

2007 XTR Crankset, 175 mm
    2007 XTR Rear Der, Low or Top Normal
    2007 XTR 11-32 Cassette
    2007 XTR Front Der, top pull
    2007 XTR Shifters.

Note, no brakes or hubs were needed.

Total cost, delivered to my house in the USA = $794.31 US dollars, charged to my Visa card. I do not think that anyone in the US will be able to come close to these prices. 19% VAT deducted because it was shipping to the US.

Hack Racer

Are you gonna eat that?
    The prices on Starbike are nuts.

If I were to order the XTR derailleurs, do I have to use the XTR shifters? Or will my existing shifters (Sram X.9) work?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I bought my M970 crankset off of Ebay last Thursday and received it today. Cost me $375US along with a reasonable shipping charge.

Just keep one thing in mind. If you buy an M970 which isn't in a retail configuration, you won't get the FC17 and FC35 which are a pair of tools specific to the 07 XTR crankset. You can probably get away without the FC17 but you'll definitely need the FC35 if you want to remove your crankset. Won't need them for the initial install though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    The prices on Starbike are nuts.

If I were to order the XTR derailleurs, do I have to use the XTR shifters? Or will my existing shifters (Sram X.9) work?

Cheers.
    I could be wrong about this, but I think this is how it goes...

I believe your rear derailleur has to match brands with your shifters. Therefore, I don't think your current shifters will work if you go with a Shimano rear derailleur. However, you would not necessarily have to get XTR shifters if you get an XTR rear derailleur. For example, you could use an XTR rear derailleur with XT shifters because they are both the Shimano brand. I run Sram shifters, a Sram rear derailleur, and a Shimano front derailleur. This set-up works fine. Hope this helps.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz8
    I could be wrong about this, but I think this is how it goes...

I believe your rear derailleur has to match brands with your shifters.
    Thanks, I run sram/sram/shimano as well, but I was concerned about a mismatch, I sent a mail to the bike store to see what they say.

It's not the end of the world if I have to replace them, but they're only a couple weeks old (I bent the last ones - don't ask me how) and they work great, so I won't bother if I don't have to.

Edit: After mooching through the drivetrain forum, it seems that you're correct, Sram shifters DON'T work with Shimano rear derailleurs unless the derailleur has a 1:1 actuation ratio (however I'm bollocksed if I can find the actuation ratio for the XTR derailleur)
    Last edited by Kyoseki; 06-05-2007 at 12:35 AM.

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    Thanks, I run sram/sram/shimano as well, but I was concerned about a mismatch, I sent a mail to the bike store to see what they say.

It's not the end of the world if I have to replace them, but they're only a couple weeks old (I bent the last ones - don't ask me how) and they work great, so I won't bother if I don't have to.

Edit: After mooching through the drivetrain forum, it seems that you're correct, Sram shifters DON'T work with Shimano rear derailleurs unless the derailleur has a 1:1 actuation ratio (however I'm bollocksed if I can find the actuation ratio for the XTR derailleur)
    I think all Shimano derailleurs have a 2:1 ratio. Stick with the sram as the rario mean they are easier to tune.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by afie
    I think all Shimano derailleurs have a 2:1 ratio. Stick with the sram as the rario mean they are easier to tune.
    Ok thanks for the info, it's too late for me though, I have fallen to the dark side, XTR is on the way from Star Bike

The hard part now is waiting for my 5.5 frame to show up at the end of the month

mtbr member
    did you get the fro?

Are you gonna eat that?
    Me? No, I went for the XVP, I'm a Clyde so I'm not bothered about the odd lb of weight nearly as much as I'm concerned about durability, I went for the RP23 though in Iron Grey and I can't wait for it to turn up

Members who have read this thread: 0