mtbr member

Zelvy Carbon Wheelsets... Any experience?

Hi

I'm considering buying some of Zelvy's wheels for my new Intense Spider 275 and wondered if anyone has any experience of them please? In terms of service and how resilient the wheels are etc?

These would be my first pair of carbon wheels and obviously I am full of trepidation etc...

Here are the wheels I'm considering, thanks for your time...

Zelvy Carbon | WHEELSET 40??? 650b-RACE

I wanted to take advantage of the wider rims and they do look fantastic!

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that there is a thread on Rotorburn, or the info may be embedded in the carbon rims thread on there.

Here are a couple of threads that should ease your mind about 'generic' carbon rims (i.e. NOT enve or Reynolds). It's highly, highly likely that the Zelvy's are produced in the same factory and are the same quality as the Light Bicycle or Nextie rims mentioned in these threads.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...ms-673410.html

A few people have had issues with the LB rims, most haven't. I've been using a pair of LB rims for 18 months. I'd buy them again.

The Derby rims that started the super-wide carbon rim trend are also probably produced in the same factory.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...871008-21.html
    I consider Zelby to be roughly equivalent, or maybe even a step down from Derby.

My feedback on the Zelvy's -

That is a light rim. The 'standard' LB or Nextie or Derby rim will weigh 50+ grams more per rim
    carbon 650b rims 38mm wide hookless mountain bike rims tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle

Carbon Fiber 650B/27.5" MTB Rim 40mm width Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible Mountain Bike [NXT650BH01]

Is this an issue...I don't know. I've just noticed that Zelvie offer a DH version of the rim, though it's still ~50g lighter than the DH version from LB or Nextie.

You may be attracted by the warranty that Zelvy offer. It's 2 years, transferable, and has a half price crash replacement service. If the warranty really matters to you, buy these and don't think again.

If you are like me and don't need the peace of mind of the warranty...
    ...I consider AU$1550 a LOT of money to pay for a wheelset with DT Comp spokes, which are both inexpensive and overkill for stiff carbon rims - I'd use lighter DT Revs /Sapim Laser or Wheelsmith DB14's / Sapim S D-light. It's also a lot of money to pay for a wheelset with Hope Hubs.

Here's what I'd do if it were my money:
    1. buy LightBicycle or Nextie rims @ AU$500 for the pair including shipping
    2a. buy a pair of Hope hubs from the UK @ AU$$266-300
    2b. buy some premium, high engagement hubs direct from the US, e.g. Industry Nine, AU$700 from the US (though there is also a local importer)
    3. buy spokes locally or internationally AU$200 for Sapim CX-Ray from OS (pretty much the best there is) or AU$100 from OS for the other spokes I listed
    4. A local wheel build will be AU$150 - $200 for the pair

Total = 500 + [300 or 700] + [100 or 200] + 200 = $1100 to $1600

[n.b. if you upspec to the PRO version of the Zelvie wheels it's equivalent to the $1600 pair listed above]

OR, I'd buy the pre-built wheelset from LB with Hope hubs, and have them checked by my local shop. That's cheaper again (I think...)

mtbr member
    What a comprehensive reply, thank you. It's certainly given me a lot to think about and research so that's exactly what I'll do...

mtbr member

mtbr member

Zelvy Carbon Wheelsets... Any experience?

Yeah saw it yesterday thanks.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Sorry to bump an old thread.
    Just to pre-face, several Australian users of Zelvy wheels (myself included) have been reporting a consistent issue of spokes breaking and poor bracing angle and build quality on their wheels over the past three years. This was discussed in a thread up on Rotorburn.com (an Aussie MTB website where the owner of Zelvy frequents to talk about his products and offer support and suggestions to riders). This particular thread was created to ask about Zelvy's customer service, having noted some rather significant delays in response time from the company on a recent enquiry.
    Sadly, soon after MrPlow made any response (over a month after the thread's creation), the thread was buried and deleted. There was a subsequent thread asking why it was deleted, as there was civil discussion taking place, this too was soon buried. I've attached the google cache links below, unfortunately the cache did not manage to include MrPlows response form April 11th in it. It was disappointing to see consistent issues being swept away by industry pressure rather than fronting up and offering a solution in the way Cane Creek, Crank Brothers, Easton, etc. have when problems with their products have been identified.

I posted up here because I know that if I were spending this amount of money on anything, I'd want to be fully aware of any issues surrounding it. Also just curious to know if this is more a localized problem to the Australian market, or if any other users have been experiencing similar failures on their wheels and/or slow response times from customer service when these problems arrise

Anyway, sorry to drop such a big wall-o-text.
    Happy trails!

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=au

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Zaf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread.
    That's very poor for Rotorburn to delete these threads without an explanation. I just checked google and the threads appear to be there but throw up an error when you click on the link. You can also see the thread about the deleted threads you mentioned.

I wonder what other discussions they delete when it doesn't suit them.

Tim

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    That's very poor for Rotorburn to delete these threads without an explanation. I just checked google and the threads appear to be there but throw up an error when you click on the link. You can also see the thread about the deleted threads you mentioned.

I wonder what other discussions they delete when it doesn't suit them.

Tim
    I think it was pressure from Zelvy to take it down. But I agree, a bit disappointing that it was all swept under the rug especially as the site usually has some pretty honest reviews and is largely community driven.

It might only be an issue with the Australian market, and I am curious to know if international customers are experiencing similar problems/issues. Definitely noticing a lot of the wheelsets going on sale over here on Facebook the buy, swap, sell pages.

If my links aren't working you can probably throw the following into Google to bring it up:

Zelvy customer service site:rotorburn.com

Otherwise, it's the weekend! I hope everyone's enjoying their rides and finding good weather whereever you are!

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    If spokes breaking at the nipples happened to me, I'd order $30 in spokes (the correct kind, not straight gauge) and re-build the wheel, then go riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    If spokes breaking at the nipples happened to me, I'd order $30 in spokes (the correct kind, not straight gauge) and re-build the wheel, then go riding.
    I think the issue is after spending a good chunck of cash on a carbon wheelset the last thing you'd want to do is have to buy new spokes and rebuild them.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    I think the issue is after spending a good chunck of cash on a carbon wheelset the last thing you'd want to do is have to buy new spokes and rebuild them.
    I think slider_phil nailed the sentiment perfectly.
    In my experience, the only other spokes I've had break on me were a set of Flow EX's that had a chain shift onto them after a stick stuck my derailleur, even then the spoke only broke months later but on one of the gouge lines (worth noting also that the wheelset came shipped with spare spokes out of the box). Another one broke on my Flow (Non-EX) prior to that, after came off the bike sideways and the spokes landed directly onto a large rock next to the track. Spokes snapping should never be a "JRA" style of incident, and certainly not an incident on wheels that are premium priced and relatively low usage.

Even then, that problem can be easily offset by good customer service. My Yeti SB66c had two separate breakages on the dogbone linkage and were replaced with no argument, in very short order. When you throw $1500 on a wheelset, the last thing you should be thinking of doing is starting the build from scratch. You certainly shouldn't be forced into a chain of unresponsive e-mails and then having a public enquiry smothered over something as simple as some replacement spokes.

I guess it makes it easy for Zelvy to make the lifetime warranty claims, because they never really have to deal with it or honour it.

mtbr member
    I should also clarify that I'm a two time Zelvy customer so take that as you will. My first set is getting rebuilt at my LBS due to nipples breaking every second ride. My first email to the company was met with the usual "that's not normal" and then basically silence. It seems emails come thick and fast when you're buying something off them but as soon as you email the warranty address it's like pulling teeth unfortunately.

I will say, the wheels have been great otherwise so it's just a build issue most likely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    This is interesting, i have been looking at zelvy wheelsets for a while now and was just about to order a set. Would you say to avoid them or are you generaly happy with the wheelsets?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r08mky View Post
    This is interesting, i have been looking at zelvy wheelsets for a while now and was just about to order a set. Would you say to avoid them or are you generaly happy with the wheelsets?
    I had no issues with the rim layup or carbon structure, they felt stiff and strong. Mine were built to Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs as well, which are solid performers.

Seems to be massive issues with their build quality, the nipples and spokes brace at awkward angles and aren't drilled properly.

For me, and as I've said to Greg from Zelvy, having wheels that break spokes at random intervals just kills my confidence to ride the bike, when you're expecting equipment to fail it undermines the experience in a huge way. Personally, if you're really needing brand name Carbon hoops, I think the money is better spent on Bontrager Line 30s. I also hear people talk really highly of Derby carbon rims.

That said, if you're set on a pair of Zelvys, it might be better to buy rims only, then get a reputable wheel builder to do the job for you. But if you're heading down that path Light Bicycle will supply for better price and actually answer their emails if you have any issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    my short list was Zelvy, Sixth element or stump up the extra for santa cruz. I just thought Zelvy seemed like a good choice and not too many of them about. It did take me a while to find any bad stuff written about them.

Saying that though I'm still swithering because i actually quite like the stock wheels that came on the Nukeproof (mavic xa elite)

mtbr member
    Why buy carbon rims when you can get aluminum at about the same weight? I've had carbon rims and hated them. They chip way too easy. They scratch way too easy, too. And when they crack, they are done. I've straightened a bunch of aluminum rims and they last for years afterwards. The only carbon rims I use anymore is on my fat bike. At least they are somewhat protected by the tire.

I think I9 straight pull hubs on aluminum rims is hard to beat and they feel just as stiff as carbon rims on J-spokes.

I guess I just don't see why people go carbon on rims. I'm not a fan of carbon cranks either. I hit too many rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I was on a demo day last year and the bikes had carbon wheels. The acceleration was fantastic, the ride was good and generally I enjoyed them.

The alloy wheel has done me fantastic for years but I have a wee hankering for carbon, so I'll maybe go for it maybe I won't.

I hate straight pull spokes though, give me a good J turn

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r08mky View Post
    my short list was Zelvy, Sixth element or stump up the extra for santa cruz. I just thought Zelvy seemed like a good choice and not too many of them about. It did take me a while to find any bad stuff written about them.

Saying that though I'm still swithering because i actually quite like the stock wheels that came on the Nukeproof (mavic xa elite)
    I'm a big fan of well built alloy wheels as well.
    I personally wouldn't purchase Zelvy again after the problems and issues I have experience with them.
    Have a look at Wheelworks Flite wheelsets, they do a Carbon and Alloy (I own and run the Alloy wheelset on my Honzo) and they are amazingly well built wheels. Cool to follow in Instagram as well, you can see some of their presses for de-stressing the spokes and stuff like that. In any case, their quality is second to none, they're a slick looking final product and they're well supported.

However from your initial list I'd be inclined to got the Santa Cruz Reserves and spend a little extra, they are a sweet looking pair of wheels in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've run Zelvys for over 2 years now and only ever broken 2 spokes, both due to big rocks flicking up and taking out the spoke. Mine at 27.5x30mm internal DH layup and I'm 100kg, also an Australian customer. Spokes are DT Swiss comps with brass nipples and Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've just purchased a set of 29 x 30mm internal standard layup wheels with the zelvy hubs & ceramic bearings also 100kg.
    Will report back in a few months after I've done a few rides on them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have been riding Zelvy hoops (30mm ID/enduro) laced to Chris Kings with DT Swiss comp spokes and brass nipples. I had an excellent local wheel builder build them up for me. This will be the 4th year on these wheels. They have been trouble free...no loose or broken spokes. FWIW, I also bought a pair of Zelvy road wheels (built by Zelvy) last year and have had no issues with those. I had some trouble setting up the road wheels tubeless and had several email exchanges with Zelvy and they responded promptly and were pretty helpful. If it is quality control issues with the builds the road wheels may have similar problems too. I will report any issues with build quality and customer service, if that occurs.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhazard View Post
    I've just purchased a set of 29 x 30mm internal standard layup wheels with the zelvy hubs & ceramic bearings also 100kg.
    Will report back in a few months after I've done a few rides on them.
    Considering carbon wheels, any update on your Zelvy’s?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hello. I can't give a long term update but I've got some eye-candy to share!

Just got my 30mm internal 2018 wheelset with zelvy ceramic hubs. 27.5 non-boost

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I hate the new sticker layout with 3 stickers a side, it just screams Enve wannabe which cheapens the look. I just replaced the stickers on my set and only fit 2 each side like they came back when I bought them and I'm glad I did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I hate the new sticker layout with 3 stickers a side, it just screams Enve wannabe which cheapens the look. I just replaced the stickers on my set and only fit 2 each side like they came back when I bought them and I'm glad I did.
    Good thing it's just stickers so everybody can be happy with the layout then!

When you get the wheels there is an option to fit the decals yourself. That way you can do whatever layout or design you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    Good thing it's just stickers so everybody can be happy with the layout then!

When you get the wheels there is an option to fit the decals yourself. That way you can do whatever layout or design you like.
    That's a cool option.