Your 27.5 30 mm rim opinions wanted- Mtbr.com
    Back on the wagon

Your 27.5 30 mm rim opinions wanted

Here it is, your chance to praise your favorite rim in hopes the brand will notice your devotion and throw schwag in your direction - or to tell the world how wronged you've been by the POS sad excuse for a tire holder you're currently dreaming of replacing.

In any event, this is the first bike I've ridden without Hadley hubs in more than a decade, and I need to fix that. If you were building a rear wheel to be mounted on an Ibis Mojo 3 with 2.6" rubber and ridden on rocky, rooty, tech New England trails, which ALLOY rim would you choose and why? Note I said alloy, not carbon. You're welcome to tell me I'm stupid and that I should get a carbon rim so long as you also contribute funds

The last set of wheels I built for my rigid SS Transition TransAm used RaceFace ARC 30's and they've been excellent - but there's a lot of new options out there and I want to hear your thoughts.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Your 27.5 30 mm rim opinions wanted

Spank 350 w/ vibrocore. Those are what Im going to try next. Very good user reviews and priced competitively.

mtbr member
    I'm a huge fan of DT Swiss rims nowadays, and when you are riding trail or AM, I would definitely go for the XM 481 rim. Just don't forget those nipple-washers they include (hehehe).
    I've been hearing good things about the new Newmen rims, but they might be hard to get outside of Europe.

mtbpete
    I like the Race Face Arc 30 offset. For more durability the Spank 350 is a great choice.

Hitching a ride
    I'd get the Carbonfan waterdrop T800 model, only 340 grams and nice thick bead for durability. Send me your paypal and I'll kick you a dollar for the opinion. If you get 385 more opinions then that will pay for the rims.

EDR
    OP, I'm also on a M3, here in rocky, rocky non-rooty PHX, AZ and looking to replace my Stan's Flow S1's. The rim is fine (a little heavy maybe) but I don't trust the NEO hub for backcountry-desert solo riding. Sooo...I'll be watching.

I'm thinking XM481, probably with DT350 hubs for max durability vs. cost ratio. I want a hub I can TRUST that doesn't cost a car payment. Had Hope Pro2's, was pretty rock solid but did break on spring or pawl, can't remember which, so the ratchet system seems 'more-bomb-proof'.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    OP, I'm also on a M3, here in rocky, rocky non-rooty PHX, AZ and looking to replace my Stan's Flow S1's. The rim is fine (a little heavy maybe) but I don't trust the NEO hub for backcountry-desert solo riding. Sooo...I'll be watching.

I'm thinking XM481, probably with DT350 hubs for max durability vs. cost ratio. I want a hub I can TRUST that doesn't cost a car payment. Had Hope Pro2's, was pretty rock solid but did break on spring or pawl, can't remember which, so the ratchet system seems 'more-bomb-proof'.

Yep, the 350's are excellent. Best bang for the buck hubs on the planet, and lighter than many/most, too.

I like the Arc 30 offset rims, but if max durability is needed I like the WTB Asym i29's.

mtbr member
    I tend to 'run with what ya brung' and the WTB Asym i29's that came on my Kona have been bulletproof. I'm 220lbs so they have seen plenty of abuse in over 2,500 miles of NE singletrack bone. I've booger'd up a few spokes from derailleur getting sucked in by debris but that's not the rim's fault. Replace spokes as needed and repeat. Lots of battle scars but they have required very little attention and stay true. Hubs still kicking too but I will probably check out DT350's when/if time comes.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How about the stock Ibis wheels? They've been perfect on my Mojo3. They have i29 and i34 options. I see the older version being on clearance now, given they launched new wheels recently.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The stock wheels that came on my 2017 Trance Advance 1. I had them built with Stealth hubs and new green nipples and they have been great so far. TXR -1 carbon wheels.

EDR
    I'm seeing Raceface and Easton ARC 30. Same same?

Back on the wagon
    The main thing I'm looking for is to throw a Hadley hub in there. I don't like the engagement of the stock Ibis hub - after riding Hadley's exclusively since 2004 I really can't imagine ever using another hub.

Thanks for all the feedback so far - keep it coming!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.