YES! DT Freehub success - finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! YES! DT Freehub success - finally!

After getting mucho advise from many here (thanks one and all) about removing the freehub body on my DT 240, I finally got that sucker off! Holy hernias batman, you guys weren't kidding when you said "give it a mighty pull".

Now, my star ratchet is all cleaned and lubed, and I'm getting greedy. Is there a way to get some lube into the bearings themselves? I've read the bearings are great and wear forever, but they seem a little crunchy right now. Or, does one just replace them every so often.

On a side note, I am blown away by DT's designers. To have so much you can do with these products without tools is amazing - truly revolutionary design. I love the way Chris King runs his business, and Shimano makes some pretty things, but I don't see you pulling their hubs apart for maintenance with your bare hands. DT rocks!

Thanks for any help,

E

banned
    Sep 2007
    My DT Swiss Hugi 440 Freeride wheel arrived today. Stainless steel freehub for the cassette. I put a SRAM 980 11-34 cassette on, gave a little push down with the cassette facing down, and off it popped. Wiped the star ratchets clean, put just a tiny coating of grease on them, reassembled it, popped the end piece over the retainer spring ring, and it was good to go, nice and quiet too. Done in 3 minutes.

If your bearings are getting crunchy, see the repair manual PDF file on DT Swiss's website for 240S hubs.Sounds like they have worn out. Make sure you open it with Microsoft Outlook Express for you Browser, and not FireFox. It will not open with Firefox, and DT Swiss's website designers are based in Switzerland, where Firefox isn't well known.

Members who have read this thread: 0