XT Micro Spline Upgrade + Wheel Build Durability with the new M8110 hubs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

XT Micro Spline Upgrade + Wheel Build Durability with the new M8110 hubs?

I posted the below thread in the drivetrain area on MTBR.com , and a very kind member, Harold, suggested I'd get more help over here in Wheels and Tires:

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/upgrading-11-speed-nx-12-speed-xt-xt-m8110-hubs-am-i-trouble-detonating-1143599.html#post14845231

Upgrading 11 Speed NX > 12 Speed XT with XT M8110 Hubs. Am I in trouble? Detonating?

How screwed am I?

Here is a thread from nbb109, and he has blown up 2 XT hubs in a matter of weeks:

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...s-1139315.html

I can't find much else on the interwebs about this exact issue, but it does makes sense, as we are in Beta testing phase. While Shimano isn't Sram, they seem to have had a lot of production headaches and snags over the last few years. Deep down I want to believe they wouldn't release a lemon, but stuff happens!!!!

I'm a clyde, and while I've never had any hub issues in my life (been running Hope Pro II for 10+ years, since I picked up my 2017 Hightower C, Novatec, LOL, and also some LX hubs from back in 2008 or so!), I am probably due for some headaches, as Shimano hubs have sucked supposedly since 2005? Cup and cone hate? I was in the dark, so what is the deal?

I don't want any issues, so should I snag a cheap Deore rear hub just in case? The front should be fine (have an XT matching set).

Some random thread I can't find suggested that a non aluminum hub body (super heavy, but I'm assuming more durable in theory) Deore Hub would be better.

Now I'm nervous.

What are you guys seeing? Are these things blowing up left and right?

The Silence/Psylence/Sylence or whatever they called it is dead? This is crazy, but hey, it is 2020!!

I'll go into the deep end and buy something nice, but what is the best in 2020? I'm kind of stuck in the old days, pre Boost thinking and need advice. And I am not the biggest fan of centerlock, but am willing to learn.

What's the best bang for the buck hub now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There is a poll with a bunch of hubs including the new XT M8110 and the new Deore microspline hubs, if you're interested in giving an opinion. Thanks!