XD driver freehub failure WTF??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

XD driver freehub failure WTF??

I was riding along this weekend and blam.. My chain sucks in between the chain stay and rear tire when I stop pedaling. This happens like a thousand times over the last five miles of the ride.

I research the cause and it seems like I need to replace the freehub? The XD Driver for SRAM XX1 shouldn't wear out right?

Anyone have experience with this? I ordered another XD Driver. I'm kinda disappointed in only getting two full seasons and a little of the third.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

turtles make me hot
    There's bearings inside there. It's going to need service like anything.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Did you try adjusting the rear derailluer first? Possibly limit screws?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    There's bearings inside there. It's going to need service like anything.
    yes- and even if the axle bearings are ok, some pawl / ratchet systems are very sensitive to lubrication. they want a certain weight/viscosity of grease (or oil), or they don't ratchet properly.

new XD driver was not a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So the bearings are worn so the freewheel stops working? The whole problem started when the cassette kept spinning because the freewheel wouldn't engage. This would create slack on the chain which caused the chain to drop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What is a good idea?

FYI: Stan's Flow 3.30 wheelset, 2 full seasons of Whistler Valley trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    What is a good idea?
    clean and grease. if you don't have the service information for the hub which specifies the type of grease / oil to be used, then I would suggest starting with something very light, and working up from there if necessary.

while you have the driver removed, check the action on all the bearings you see. there should be at least one in the driver, and one on each side of the hub. put your finger on the inner race and spin it at least once all the way around. if it's smooth, you're good. back to the pawls at that point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Colin thanks so much for your help 😬 I know a little about maintenance, enough to get that things I beat up fixed.

Since when are hubs so sensitive? I had Sun jumping flea wheels that are 8 years old that run strong in the park!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So I took apart my rear hub. I pulled off the cassette, which looks like I'll need $400 soon, then the axle. Everything looks greased up but lots of shavings. The Pawls won't stand put. They do in Sun hubs on my other bike so I'm not sure but that's gotta be no good. The hub bearings feel worn and crunchy, in fact the only bearings that don't are the ones In front of the XD Driver. It's looking hopeless.. Any advice??

mtbr member
    Damn. Search for threads about stans hubs, it isn't pretty.

I don't use them, so I can't quote chapter and verse, but numerous people have killed them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Thanks again Colin! I'll google that.

I heard that too but was really digging the Flow EX wheelset. The wheels stayed true and tensioned the entire first season.That amounted to about 60 days of real abuse.

I have an old Sun Jumping Flea wheelset on my big bike and new Sun Jumping Flea hubs laced up with DT Swiss EX471 rims on my HT. Both sets of rims have been flawless. I was thinking of throwing that Sun/DT combo on my Dixon. I was also checking out Hadley on some Flow Exs.. Any advice? What do you recommend? Should I wait til I head to my LBS and ask them?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the useless advice, thought I was in the beginners forum, lol.

With just a quick search on these boards, those hubs seem like they are notorious for problems with aggressive, bigger riders. Good luck man.

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...nd-985612.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...re-928715.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Haha Forget about it Erock. Thanks for the links! I'm fat and I do ride some crazy trails..

mtbpete
    If you got two good seasons out the rear hub then first try and clean and grease the pawls and replace the bearings. Don't forget to re-install the spacer! If the drive side bearing has lost it's press-fit (it fits loosely) then you need a new rear hub. If the rim is still true and no significant dents then just have the hub replaced. I can help you with that or Stan's may be able to help you with that.

Here, diagonally!
    Been there with the 3.30 hub bearing failure. Even if the bearing spins ok, it won't support the axle correctly when weighted. And when that happens, the freehub contacts the ring gear and won't freewheel. I found finishing rides as a fixie quite interesting. Pedal strike city.

Installing SKF bearings is my suggestion.

Also if you lose the press-fit, Loctite 660 will address that: http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_da...g_Compound.pdf

After trashing several sets of bearings and riding home after it happened, I was able to pull the bearing out with my pinky. 660 held it in no problem, and also allowed removal when needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    So the bearings are worn so the freewheel stops working? The whole problem started when the cassette kept spinning because the freewheel wouldn't engage. This would create slack on the chain which caused the chain to drop.
    The freehub/pawls allows the cassette to stop rotating with the wheel. So their not engaging is not causal, though it may be symptomatic. If the cassette is rotating with the wheel, it's due to drag somewhere between the wheel and cassette. Worn freehub bearings, lack of lube, gummed up or too thick grease in the freehub, damaged pawls or even junk stuck between the hub/spokes and the cassette can cause this.

Since the pawls are not engaging in your case, I think it likely that the lube is gummed up from contamination.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It's not a lube problem lone ranger. It's a crap hub with a noodle axle that causes the bearings to come apart. Then the driver gets jammed into the drive ring in the hub body. Well documented issue solved by buying king, hadley, onyx or other brands that make their shit right instead of buying $5 catalog hubs for their $600 wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks leaf, I'm done with trying to save that 3:30 hub. There's metal shavings, worn surfaces, all the bearings and Pawls have fallen out. I'm thinking of SRAM Roam 60 wheels but if I decide on hand built I'll contact you.. Only thing I need a rear wheel 7 days from now. Meeting friends in the Dacks. They said there's newly built FR trails up there.

meow, meow.
    A cheaper alternative to buying high end hubs could be machining the axle out of steel before the catalog hub craps itself. While you're at it, consider also replacing any bearing spacers with steel or 7075 Aluminum ones -- Taiwanese hubs tend to cut costs there using soft alloy spacers that get plastically deformed on faces from the clamping force in dropouts. Stock bearings are often crap too.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

turtles make me hot
    If you want a better hub without spending a ton of money, take a look at Bike Hub Store.
    I've got a few wheelsets with their hubs in them and they've been solid.
    They come with Enduro bearings.

MTB / Disc Hubs
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm going to go with a hand built rear wheel from Pete's wheels. Chris King laced to Flows again. I figure this should last a while and when the front goes I'll get that too.

mtbpete
    The problem with the hub is that the bearings have lost their press fit. One this happens a stronger axle is not going to make a difference.

meow, meow.
    Oh I meant the preventative actions worth taking with a new hub. Since you're replacing the axle and spacers you will also discover which bearings have weak press fit so there's your opportunity to glue the nice ones in.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    The problem with the hub is that the bearings have lost their press fit. One this happens a stronger axle is not going to make a difference.
    The bearings have lost their press fit except for one side of XD Driver, the bearings that are still pressed in have serious resistance, metal shavings galore, theres sharp edges and a ton of wear in the freehub and the hub body.. Yea that hub is toast!