mtbr member
    Aug 2018

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?

I just did a quick search on this, but didn't find any discussion on this topic. Apologies if its already been, discussed, and I simply missed it.

Anyone have any experience with the new WTB Vigilante in 2.5in or 2.6in widths? Specifically, how it compares to the Magic Mary?

I'm looking for an aggressive, 2.5 - 2.6in front tire for the PNW. I've used the standard 2.35in width Magic Mary on my hardtail (where it barely fit), and thought it was great. However, I hear/read that the 2.6in version isn't as good, as they spaced out the knobs too far, making it squirmy?

Apparently the WTB vigilante tread pattern was updated in these new wider sizes. Its got much taller side knobs, a squarer profile, and a tread pattern that looks fairly similar to the Magic Mary as far as I can tell. Its actually pretty apparent when you just look at the old 2.3 next to the 2.6. I'm basically wondering if the Vigilante is a "better" 2.6in wide Magic Mary than the 2.6in Magic Mary?

Essentially, I'm looking for a midsized tire that has some transition knobs. I'm still a newer rider, learning to progress my cornering, and the tires with transition knobs feel a bit better to me now, as I'm still learning to trust the side knobs.

Any thoughts/comparisons?

Thanks .

mtbr member
    I cant help with comparisons, but I can confirm the tread redesign. They did it for both the Vigilante and TrailBoss. I should I have one of each next week or so and can post pics after I mount them on my 38mm rims.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just mounted up the exact tires you mentioned. These are on Santa Cruz Reserve 30s. Never ridden a Magic Mary so I can't help ya on the comparison. I can say the profiles on these revised tires are def better than before. No doubt about when you're on the side knobs for sure. HOLY SIPES! Much grippier than the Maxx Terra Minion 2.5/DHR II 2.4 I had on before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_1909.jpg  

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_2283.jpg  

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_2137.jpg  

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_4206.jpg  

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_6682.jpg  

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_1917.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the input.

For reference, is that a 2.5in vigilante on the front, or a 2.6in? And what size trail boss is on the back? Measurement was of the casing, or the width at the knobs? And are those measurements at a normal trail pressure, or something higher?

Sorry for all the questions. Its just that your setup is pretty close to my own. I've got 29mm internal rims atm, and am liking the looks ofthe new vigilante. They just don't seem to be talked about much, so finding info on them is harder for some reason.

Thanks .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thatís a 2.5 front and 2.4 rear @trail pressure 24f/26r measured at the knobs. Hope that clears it up for ya.

Trying to be helpful
    No experience with the Magic Mary, have been riding the new Vigilante 2.5 for about 5 months here in the PNW, it's been awesome. I bought the HG/Tough, the sidewalls are super tough, the grip is amazing the side knobs really dig in. I've been super happy with it.

I've only had 3 rides on the new 2.4 Trail Boss thus far, so really too early to give much feedback, so far I'm impressed. Before that I was running the 2.4 Judge, amazing rear tire really like it, but I wanted to try something a bit lighter and faster rolling for longer rides.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmkid85 View Post
    Thatís a 2.5 front and 2.4 rear @trail pressure 24f/26r measured at the knobs. Hope that clears it up for ya.

That does indeed help, thanks sir

Interesting that the 2.5in vigilante is pretty much spot on in width, while the 2.4 trail boss is a fair bit under. The upside though, is now I know another rear tire option that I wasn't aware of before. I really don't have much clearance to spare on my 2.3 DHF (in the back).

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    No experience with the Magic Mary, have been riding the new Vigilante 2.5 for about 5 months here in the PNW, it's been awesome. I bought the HG/Tough, the sidewalls are super tough, the grip is amazing the side knobs really dig in. I've been super happy with it.
    I've only had 3 rides on the new 2.4 Trail Boss thus far, so really too early to give much feedback, so far I'm impressed. Before that I was running the 2.4 Judge, amazing rear tire really like it, but I wanted to try something a bit lighter and faster rolling for longer rides.

Good to hear from someone else that the has experience up here. I wasn't specifically looking at the Trail boss, but I would like to move from the DHF that my Kona came with as a rear. As it is a bit draggy (especially compared to the 1.9in semi slick I had on my hardtail that I'm coming from ).

Seems like most people are using the 2.5in width for the vigilante. Any reason for choosing it over the 2.6?

Hopefully someone else who has experience with both the Vigilante, and MM will wander on through and share their thoughts. Although the feedback so far has been good.

mtbr member
    I been using the trail boss for a while now. Awesome tyre, and surprises with grip all the time.
    I recently fitted a 2.5 wtb convict upfront. So far, so good

Trying to be helpful

I'm curious if the Trail Boss mentioned above is the newer Tritec version? My 2.4 measures exactly spot on with my Race Face Arc 30 rims.

I chose the 2.5 just because I didn't feel I needed a tire that wide. If I were just doing park riding then sure but for most everything the 2.5 is suitable.

I'm actually considering throwing a Trail Boss 2.4 on front just to see how it goes. Big tires aren't all that important too me, otherwise I'd have a plus bike. I prefer fast, tough, grippy tires.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Dunno, its the tcs high grip, 2.4 upfront on my hardtail and back.
    2.4 rear on my dual.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    Dunno, its the tcs high grip, 2.4 upfront on my hardtail and back.
    2.4 rear on my dual.
    Definitely sounds like they are the older version 2.4, they were known to be undersized, unlike the newer Tritec versions which have been spot on.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Strange...Mine is the new Tritec version too. Iím gonna see if it has stretched any since mounting. That measurement was literally right after the bead was set and then shaken to move the stans around. I inflated them to 30 psi f/r this morning and left them for 8 hrs. Iíll air back down to riding pressures I mentioned earlier before measuring too. Hopefully that rear will get up to size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    I just did a quick search on this, but didn't find any discussion on this topic. Apologies if its already been, discussed, and I simply missed it.

Anyone have any experience with the new WTB Vigilante in 2.5in or 2.6in widths? Specifically, how it compares to the Magic Mary?

I'm looking for an aggressive, 2.5 - 2.6in front tire for the PNW. I've used the standard 2.35in width Magic Mary on my hardtail (where it barely fit), and thought it was great. However, I hear/read that the 2.6in version isn't as good, as they spaced out the knobs too far, making it squirmy?

Apparently the WTB vigilante tread pattern was updated in these new wider sizes. Its got much taller side knobs, a squarer profile, and a tread pattern that looks fairly similar to the Magic Mary as far as I can tell. Its actually pretty apparent when you just look at the old 2.3 next to the 2.6. I'm basically wondering if the Vigilante is a "better" 2.6in wide Magic Mary than the 2.6in Magic Mary?

Essentially, I'm looking for a midsized tire that has some transition knobs. I'm still a newer rider, learning to progress my cornering, and the tires with transition knobs feel a bit better to me now, as I'm still learning to trust the side knobs.

Any thoughts/comparisons?

Thanks .
    If you loved the 2.35 Magic Mary why do you feel the need to go bigger?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    If you loved the 2.35 Magic Mary why do you feel the need to go bigger?
    I guess half because I want to try new things, and half because I'm expecting more grip from a wider tire?

Basically, I've read that a lot of people seem to think that 2.6in is about the sweet spot between plus, and "normal" trail tires. Where the handling is still pretty sharp, but you still get more grip + more small bump absorption. At this point I'm mostly on the hunt for more confidence in cornering.

My 2.35 MM was on my old 26'er hardtail. I had to significantly trim the side knobs to get it to fit through the fork of that bike. So I couldn't try any larger sizes on that bike. Now that I've got a 29'er Kona with a Yari up front, I can fit most anything. So I thought I'd try something wider.

Sounds like people are suggesting that 2.6in is a bit too wide?

Trying to be helpful
    I guess half because I want to try new things, and half because I'm expecting more grip from a wider tire?

Basically, I've read that a lot of people seem to think that 2.6in is about the sweet spot between plus, and "normal" trail tires. Where the handling is still pretty sharp, but you still get more grip + more small bump absorption. At this point I'm mostly on the hunt for more confidence in cornering.

My 2.35 MM was on my old 26'er hardtail. I had to significantly trim the side knobs to get it to fit through the fork of that bike. So I couldn't try any larger sizes on that bike. Now that I've got a 29'er Kona with a Yari up front, I can fit most anything. So I thought I'd try something wider.

Sounds like solid reasoning too me.

I know I wasn't trying to talk you out of a 2.6, bloody hell if you want to run it, run it, nothing wrong with that. How else are you supposed to know if you like it or not?

You are essentially correct, larger tire should and usually does equal more traction. That's why plus bikes are so popular.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sounds like solid reasoning too me.

I know I wasn't trying to talk you out of a 2.6, bloody hell if you want to run it, run it, nothing wrong with that. How else are you supposed to know if you like it or not?

You are essentially correct, larger tire should and usually does equal more traction. That's why plus bikes are so popular.
    Oh, I wasn't thinking anyone was trying to talk me out of anything. Because, as I said, I'm still new at most of this stuff, and since I have a relative lack of experience, I just don't know my preference on lots of stuff yet. I'm just always curious as to why people do things, as maybe that will help me get things "right" on the first try so to speak.

All I know at this point, is that the 2.3in DHF's(F/R) that came stock on my Kona Process 153 are a bit vague feeling in corners. I'm assuming thats happening because i'm trash at cornering aggressively combined with their lack of any transition knobs.

Oh, and here is the new ride . I'm still sorting out stuff with it (more suspension to tweak than my old coil sprung hartail :P), as well as getting the shifting/controls all sorted out. But so far so good. Its just a lot to get used all at once.

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-kona_process_153_al_first_ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I hear ya. I have used the MM in a 2.35 size and as well have considered something bigger. A lot of people do ride 2.6's and say they are better. So why don't the best DH racers in the world ride them? Is it because they are that much better that they don't need them? But would'nt 2.6 be an advantage over the other best? Just remember there are always pro's and cons. Try what ever you want share your opinion's and have fun. But if you want to improve your skills you may consider tending a riding clinic. If near Seattle Shaums March at March Northwest and Simon at www.fluidride.com are both good options. Always remember equipment is never an excuse for poor techniuqe. Improving your skills will always take you further.

mtbr member
    Just measured up, and its spot on 2.4

Trying to be helpful
    Just measured up, and its spot on 2.4
    Same and that was directly out of packaging. I thought maybe that 2.275 measurement above was the casing width, but definitely not knob to knob.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Measured again last night and the rear is 2.3 @30psi knob to knob. This was the tire that gave my LBS a shit fit to get seated. Very tight and inflexible bead took a tow strap around the tire to even get air to stop escaping pop onto the rim. I guess it could be slightly undersized or itís pretending to be a Maxxis tire. Now I wanna blow it up to max psi and measure.

Trying to be helpful
    Measured again last night and the rear is 2.3 @30psi knob to knob. This was the tire that gave my LBS a shit fit to get seated. Very tight and inflexible bead took a tow strap around the tire to even get air to stop escaping pop onto the rim. I guess it could be slightly undersized or itís pretending to be a Maxxis tire. Now I wanna blow it up to max psi and measure.
    Weird about the measurement, at the end of the day its not a big deal really I guess. You are correct they go on hard, at least my Arc30 rims were difficult, still managed to mount them by hand. They aired up well too, no straps needed. Different rims though, so that's probably part of it. FWIW, after they've been on a while they will stretch and next time will be much easier to mount.

I did think when I first mounted mine that they were undersized, they definitely looked, and are smaller, than my WTB Judge 2.4, but they measured 2.4 on my calipers. I have mine set at 20-23 psi.

Personally I'm happy with the 2.4 measurement, my bike has limited space in the rear so a 2.4 fits perfect with ample space for my neurosis regarding tire width vs space. Now I'm really curious what the Judge measures out to be??!!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    Following up, this is annoying, seems my friends digital calipers aren't measuring correctly. I checked the tire again tonight with my manual calipers and it measured at 2.3, definitely a bit under sized.

Apologies for the discrepancy and confusion. Makes me wonder if the 2.6 is undersized also? The 2.5 Vigilante is definitely 2.5.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    If a tyre is hard to get onto the rim, i find that letting it lay on the sun before mounting helps alot as well as using some soapy water around the bead

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hahaha. Glad to hear it wasnít just me. I totally agree the Vigilante is by all intents and purposes a true 2.5. Looks like WTB is learning the sizing scheme somebody else we all know.

Doesnít change my opinion on them at all to be honest. Still gonna send it.

Trying to be helpful
    If a tyre is hard to get onto the rim, i find that letting it lay on the sun before mounting helps alot as well as using some soapy water around the bead
    Great advice!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    Hahaha. Glad to hear it wasnít just me. I totally agree the Vigilante is by all intents and purposes a true 2.5. Looks like WTB is learning the sizing scheme somebody else we all know.

Doesnít change my opinion on them at all to be honest. Still gonna send it.
    Werd on sending it!

I also agree doesn't change my mind, actually I'm kind of happy its undersized, I wanted a 2.3 tire but there was nothing in WTB 27.5 lineup that fit that, until now. Just glad the Vig sizing is spot on, here's hoping the 2.6 TB is also true size. I'm waiting to here back on another post to see.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Good info on the 2.4 Trail Boss.

My Kona only accepts rear tires up to 2.4in width and eventually I'll be looking to replace the draggy DHF it came fitted with in the rear. So its good to know that if anything the Trail Boss 2.4 it a bit undersized, and should fit just fine.

Also, I know the 2.35in MM is oversized, closer to 2.5in? I can't check on my 26in wide version anymore, as I had to trim the knobs heavily to get it to fit through my fork.

But right now I'm thinking that if I need/want something wider, maybe its better to go for the 2.6in Vigilante, as the 2.5in may be very similar in width to the 2.35in MM?

Trying to be helpful
    Good info on the 2.4 Trail Boss.

My Kona only accepts rear tires up to 2.4in width and eventually I'll be looking to replace the draggy DHF it came fitted with in the rear. So its good to know that if anything the Trail Boss 2.4 it a bit undersized, and should fit just fine.

Also, I know the 2.35in MM is oversized, closer to 2.5in? I can't check on my 26in wide version anymore, as I had to trim the knobs heavily to get it to fit through my fork.

But right now I'm thinking that if I need/want something wider, maybe its better to go for the 2.6in Vigilante, as the 2.5in may be very similar in width to the 2.35in MM?
    If you want wider than the 2.35 MM, than your on the right path with the 2.6 Vig, it is definitely wider than the 2.5. OR if you really want to go W-I-D-E the Vig also comes in a 2.8, but I'm not sure if your fork could handle it. lol

Here is a good shot of the 2.5 & 2.6 side by side, that 2.6 looks a fair bit bigger.
    WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-vital-mtb-mountain-bike-tire-offerings-wtb-mountain-bikes-feature-stories-vi.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If you want wider than the 2.35 MM, than your on the right path with the 2.6 Vig, it is definitely wider than the 2.5. OR if you really want to go W-I-D-E the Vig also comes in a 2.8, but I'm not sure if your fork could handle it. lol

Here is a good shot of the 2.5 & 2.6 side by side, that 2.6 looks a fair bit bigger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vital MTB Mountain Bike Tire Offerings from WTB - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vi.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	1234926
    Ooo, that photo is actually super helpful, thanks man. The 2.6 does look noticeably wider.

Looks like the 29'er version of the 2018 Yari is capable of fitting a 2.8in wide 29in tire, or a 3in wide 27.5in tire. So it looks like a 2.8 "should" fit, but yeah, I'm not thinking I need a 2.8in up front, with a 2.3in the back.

It may come down to which one I can find on sale at the time I'm looking to buy :P.

Thanks everyone .

mtbr member
    I'm currently running a 2.5 Vigilante in front and a 2.6 Specialized Eliminator in back. I like it a lot so far on Washington trails.

The Vigilante seems to grip a lot better than the former DHF and the Eliminator rolls better and has a least equal traction to the DHRII that it replaced.

We'll see how it all works out in the dry and blown-out trails in the summer.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iím running 29Ē 2,6ís Magic Mary Front and new model Hans Dampf on back.Bike HTLT. On late autumn, winter, spring these are very good. For the summer change back light and fast 2,35 magic mary and rock razor. 2,6 grips so well on wet and muddy. Also in the snow it is having larger footprint and you manage soft trails surprisingly well. WTB was also one alternative, but have last 15 years with Schwalbes.

Got rocks?
    How does the Vigilante 2.6 compare to a DHF 3C on the front grip and rolling resistance wise?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic09 View Post
    Iím running 29Ē 2,6ís Magic Mary Front and new model Hans Dampf on back.Bike HTLT. On late autumn, winter, spring these are very good. For the summer change back light and fast 2,35 magic mary and rock razor. 2,6 grips so well on wet and muddy. Also in the snow it is having larger footprint and you manage soft trails surprisingly well. WTB was also one alternative, but have last 15 years with Schwalbes.
    How wide is the 2.6in Magic Mary? I know that the 2.35in version is quite a bit oversized. Does that mean that the 2.6in version is 2.7 - 2.8in actual?

Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    How does the Vigilante 2.6 compare to a DHF 3C on the front grip and rolling resistance wise?
    Curious to know this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'm currently running a 2.5 Vigilante in front and a 2.6 Specialized Eliminator in back. I like it a lot so far on Washington trails.

The Vigilante seems to grip a lot better than the former DHF and the Eliminator rolls better and has a least equal traction to the DHRII that it replaced.

We'll see how it all works out in the dry and blown-out trails in the summer.
    Thanks for the feedback. Its good to hear that its better than the DHF. Out of curiosity, what size DHF are you comparing the Vigilante in this scenario?

My new bike came with 2.3in DHF's front and rear. I'm not looking to replace them immediately, but when a good deal comes up on something I like, I'll likely try to move to a wider front, and something that rolls a bit better on the rear. So I'm just in the information gathering phase, so I really appreciate your feedback.

mtbr member
    Just got my new 2.5 and 2.4 Vig/TB combo. Look forward to getting them on the trails.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Got out this weekend on some local bandits with a good mix of flow and tech over two different trails. Short answer, WTB nailed it and these things deliver on all fronts. The 2.5 vigilante beats my old dhf 2.5 maxx terra in everything. There is something to be said for that additional knob in the transition zone from center. It is just crazy how well this thing hooks up and tells you where you are on the knobs. A lot of what I rode was fast flat corners around/through trees, off camber root shelves on the sides of ravines that didnít have good catch berms on the g outs. I hit the first few, noticed the deflection front and rear so I decided to drop from my old pressures since this casing is so stout. At 23/25psi (185lb) it was velcro-mode activated. The techy climb sections confirmed the drop in pressure was needed as I no longer had any rear wheel slippage over rock and root even with the tires coming right out of muddy transitions.

The trail boss held its own too. Initially I was worried it would become a slick like my 2.5 aggressor did when it encountered mud. NOPE! it loaded up and cleared like a dhr 2. The knobs dug right in over leaves, pine needles, gravel over hardpack NC red clay and anything else.

I might have just talked myself out of Maxxis rubber for...awhile. The only thing I want to try is that Assegai in an exo casing...maybe. Haha

I dig trails!

First ride on a Vigilante 2.6

I got my first ride in a WTB Vigilante 2.6 and Trail Boss 2.6 (i37 rims) and they were very nice. Had some hadpack and greasy mud over hard to deal with and realized after the ride I didn't have one slip! That changes my pace for the next ride! I had a 2.6 Minion on before and it would have let me know it was slipping in the grease. The WTB tires did well in the hardpack as well. ~13 psi front, ~18 psi rear.

P

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Its good to hear that its better than the DHF. Out of curiosity, what size DHF are you comparing the Vigilante in this scenario?
    Yeah, I wen't from a 2.3 DHF on a 25 mm rim to the 2.5 Vigilante on a 30 mm rim. So, quite a size difference.

The transition lugs on the Vigilante feel much more secure than the DHF. It feels very good on steep chunky loam.

I never felt very much confidence with the DHF after it washed out a few times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    I got my first ride in a WTB Vigilante 2.6 and Trail Boss 2.6 (i37 rims) and they were very nice. Had some hadpack and greasy mud over hard to deal with and realized after the ride I didn't have one slip! That changes my pace for the next ride! I had a 2.6 Minion on before and it would have let me know it was slipping in the grease. The WTB tires did well in the hardpack as well. ~13 psi front, ~18 psi rear.

P
    What do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got out this weekend on some local bandits with a good mix of flow and tech over two different trails. Short answer, WTB nailed it and these things deliver on all fronts. The 2.5 vigilante beats my old dhf 2.5 maxx terra in everything. There is something to be said for that additional knob in the transition zone from center. It is just crazy how well this thing hooks up and tells you where you are on the knobs. A lot of what I rode was fast flat corners around/through trees, off camber root shelves on the sides of ravines that didnít have good catch berms on the g outs. I hit the first few, noticed the deflection front and rear so I decided to drop from my old pressures since this casing is so stout. At 23/25psi (185lb) it was velcro-mode activated. The techy climb sections confirmed the drop in pressure was needed as I no longer had any rear wheel slippage over rock and root even with the tires coming right out of muddy transitions.

The trail boss held its own too. Initially I was worried it would become a slick like my 2.5 aggressor did when it encountered mud. NOPE! it loaded up and cleared like a dhr 2. The knobs dug right in over leaves, pine needles, gravel over hardpack NC red clay and anything else.

I might have just talked myself out of Maxxis rubber for...awhile. The only thing I want to try is that Assegai in an exo casing...maybe. Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post

P
    Yeah, I wen't from a 2.3 DHF on a 25 mm rim to the 2.5 Vigilante on a 30 mm rim. So, quite a size difference.

The transition lugs on the Vigilante feel much more secure than the DHF. It feels very good on steep chunky loam.

I never felt very much confidence with the DHF after it washed out a few times.
    Awesome guys, this is exactly the type of info I was wanting. Particularly because I'm coming from 2.3in DHF's F/R, on i29 rims. So the comparison between the two are super helpful. Especially the news that at the same size, the Vigilante sounds like its a bit more confidence inspiring than the minion, which is what I'm after.

Also, I weigh about the same as Pharmkid (185, so closer to 200 in riding gear with my camelbak, etc), so the pressures are helpful as well, at least as a starting point.

Thanks everyone .

since 4/10/2009
    Someone recommended I take a look at the Vigilante for a front tire for the "Pisgah hardtail" I'm building. It looks like a pretty burly tire, but as I read more about it, the traction looks like the exact sort of thing I'm wanting, and that pairing it with a Trail Boss would be a pretty good idea. I'm looking at the 2.6 versions of both (my Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead/MRP Ribbon shouldn't have a problem with fitment).

Reading this thread is sort of solidifying that decision process for me, and some of the assessments I'm seeing about the DHF (most popular front tire in the area, of course) are not the first time I've read or heard them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I thought I commented on this, I can't speak to the 2.6, but I compared the new Vigilante 2.5 to a MM 2.35 and the size difference was significant, like 5-6mm knob to knob. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the MM in almost every regard and took it off pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Someone recommended I take a look at the Vigilante for a front tire for the "Pisgah hardtail" I'm building. It looks like a pretty burly tire, but as I read more about it, the traction looks like the exact sort of thing I'm wanting, and that pairing it with a Trail Boss would be a pretty good idea. I'm looking at the 2.6 versions of both (my Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead/MRP Ribbon shouldn't have a problem with fitment).

Reading this thread is sort of solidifying that decision process for me, and some of the assessments I'm seeing about the DHF (most popular front tire in the area, of course) are not the first time I've read or heard them.
    That was me, probably.

I feel like the Vigilante 2.5 does a lot better than the DHF in the conditions we have right now. The DHF is probably a bit faster on hardpack and is a little lighter, but I don't think it handles wet conditions as well as the Vigilante does. It also seems to punch through the leaves and much a lot better. It is higher volume and their 'light' casing seems to be on par with EXO. It was a little more challenging to seat the bead tubeless, but that's the only negative I've found so far.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I thought I commented on this, I can't speak to the 2.6, but I compared the new Vigilante 2.5 to a MM 2.35 and the size difference was significant, like 5-6mm knob to knob. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the MM in almost every regard and took it off pretty quickly.

That was me, probably.

I feel like the Vigilante 2.5 does a lot better than the DHF in the conditions we have right now. The DHF is probably a bit faster on hardpack and is a little lighter, but I don't think it handles wet conditions as well as the Vigilante does. It also seems to punch through the leaves and much a lot better. It is higher volume and their 'light' casing seems to be on par with EXO. It was a little more challenging to seat the bead tubeless, but that's the only negative I've found so far.
    Yeah, it was a post by you in a different thread. The more I look at these tires, the more I think they are a hard choice to beat.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

That was me, probably.

This is good info as well, thanks for this. I know the 2.35MM is pretty famous for being wider than advertised (usually people say its closer to a 2.5in), but wasn't sure if the 2.5in Vigilante would actually be the same size, or even smaller. Good to hear its a touch larger.

Do you think the Vigilante would be "too" aggressive to run here in the PNW during the drier summer months? Just curious if its actually to the point where its so aggressive where I'd be wanting a different tire for the summer. Because while I want something with traction, I don't really want a mud spike/Shorty, as it seems a bit too specialized.

But like Harold, I'm feeling pretty sure the next tire I get, will likely be a Vigilante, and potentially a Trail Boss rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

With the Mucky Nutz fender, the 2.5 barely clears my Ribbon. Probably much better clearance without the fender though.

since 4/10/2009
    With the Mucky Nutz fender, the 2.5 barely clears my Ribbon. Probably much better clearance without the fender though.
    Got some clearance pics? Was thinking about using that fender. I have another on my other mtb and was thinking of using it again.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Odd, i put 2.5 vig and 2.4 TB combo on my 30mm rims last week and next to my 2.3dhr and 2.5 dhf on my other bike with 28mm rims, the Vigilante and Trailboss are smaller.

mtbr member
    The new Magic Mary has definitely lost its magic =(

I had the old version 2.35 MM on a Giant Reign... on 27mm ID rim & it blew up 63mm across ^^

Grip for days, never packed up...

My new FS 29er came w/ the new MM's front & rear.

They don't even make 60mm across o_0

How much does the 2.5 Vigilante weigh??

I'm after a burly front tyre ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Odd, i put 2.5 vig and 2.4 TB combo on my 30mm rims last week and next to my 2.3dhr and 2.5 dhf on my other bike with 28mm rims, the Vigilante and Trailboss are smaller.
    Stretch? Part of it could be stretch on the older tires, it does happen. I'd be curious how much larger they are, did you put calipers on them? Pics? My old DHF WT 2.5 was definitely not wider than my 2.5 Vig, now the 2.4 WT DHR was definitely wider than the 2.4 TB, though I haven't measured it again since its been the bike a couple weeks now, I should.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone riding these on East Coast/ Mid Atlantic trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Interesting. It seems like most people are experiencing the opposite. Were you running the same pressure? Was the measurement right after you installed the new tires? I think some people were saying that theirs expanded after being installed for a bit.

And Targnik, I kind of agree. I had a buddy who just bought a MM show me his, and I swear it feels/looks smaller than it used to (it wasn't mounted yet though, so maybe thats why?).

I'm feeling pretty certain that the next tire I get will be the 2.6in Vigilante, but I'm still interested in more data.

mtbr member
    Yeah, pretty disappointed as the whole point for me was to go larger volume on my hardtail. These measure much smaller than anticipated and at the cost of 2lbs (yes, 2lbs!!) over my previous tire setup. The grip, though, is tenacious.

Here's at the widest knob points on each tire after a week on 30mm ID rims.

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_20190207_065955543_hdr.jpg

WTB Vigilante 2.6 vs Magic Mary 2.6?-img_20190207_065927120_hdr.jpg

(yes I know the caliper isn't touching in the second, i just had to rotate the caliper so you could read the number.)

WTB Trail Boss 2.4 measures at 2.22 and the Vigilante 2.5 measures at 2.38

Regret going this route since I cant exchange for the 2.6 like Bontrager would allow me to do. Oh well.

Trying to be helpful
    Yeah, pretty disappointed as the whole point for me was to go larger volume on my hardtail. These measure much smaller than anticipated and at the cost of 2lbs (yes, 2lbs!!) over my previous tire setup. The grip, though, is tenacious.

(yes I know the caliper isn't touching in the second, i just had to rotate the caliper so you could read the number.)

Regret going this route since I cant exchange for the 2.6 like Bontrager would allow me to do. Oh well.
    Huh, thats so odd. I assume these are mounted on your Halo Vapour 35 wheels, correct?

Not that it matters, but your front tire is mounted backwards unless you wanted it that way.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Ha! So it is! Eh, dark winter bike work with too many stouts will have its casualties.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Name:	IMG_20190207_065955543_HDR.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	1237139

Name:	IMG_20190207_065927120_HDR.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	1237140

Yikes, that is a bit narrower than you'd expect. I'd be frustrated as well.

Did they ship you an older non-tritec version by accident? That honestly sounds close to the size of the older 2.3 (which as I understood it, ran a bit large).

mtbr member
    Spoke to WTB, told me they sounded un-stretched, so throw in 60psi and let sit overnight and see.

Might as well since I have to flip the front one anyways. I'll update.

Trying to be helpful

Here's my Vigilante 2.5 mounted on a Race Face Arc30

Just for shits and giggles my Trail Boss 2.4 that measures about 2.31 on Arc30.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    At the recommendation of WTB, I pumped them up 50psi (I was too wimpy to go to 60psi) and it appears that my TB is now 2.3 and the Vigilante is 2.46 at the widest knob, so they did indeed stretch a bit, which is re-assuring.

Now to find out how good these tires really are....with the front mounted correctly, ha!

mtbr member
    I don't have calipers, but my 2.5 Vigilante looks pretty wide. Traction is fantastic. I'm extremely happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I say just ride them. I got out quite a few times this past few weeks on them and yes, the grip is insane. @2.5 and 2.whatever, they grip. just ride them. As far as the weight, until I hit a pretty flat flow trail, i didn't even notice it.

mtbr member
    I say just ride them. I got out quite a few times this past few weeks on them and yes, the grip is insane. @2.5 and 2.whatever, they grip. just ride them. As far as the weight, until I hit a pretty flat flow trail, i didn't even notice it.
    It was more of my intent to increase compliance alongside traction (for the rowdiness on the hardtail). Realistically I am happy with how they grip and just wanted to add a data point for people that may have the same interest.