Got rocks?

WTB Trail boss 2.6??

Canít find much on the new trailboss 2.6. Sure looks like a good all around tire reviews seem to be good. Thinking of running it front and rear. Anyone running them?

mtbr member
    The Trail Peek bros have been running a 2.6 up front and a 2.4 out back. They had good things to say about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2I-xTxtqhU

Got rocks?
    I watched their video and definitely looks promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    I watched their video and definitely looks promising.

Pretty fair to say they push them harder than most would. I wanted to try one in the rear but I leaning towards a Vigilante up front.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Pretty fair to say they push them harder than most would. I wanted to try one in the rear but I leaning towards a Vigilante up front.
    Iím looking for a bit less than a dhf in the front so maybe?

NedwannaB
    Aren't they on 29rs too now?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Aren't they on 29rs too now?
    They are racing Rocky Mountain Altitudes this year so back on 27.5s.

mtbr member
    Iím looking for a bit less than a dhf in the front so maybe?

I am sure they will work well. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have been running a 2.6 light casing on the rear of one of my bikes. 27.5. It replaced a a 2.8 butcher .

I ride over a lot of loose over hard and lately some tackier dirt. Overall , the tire rolls great, very predictable drift, good grip, and decent braking traction . Itís an all around improved aggressor if I had to compare it. The tire does seem to wear more than the butcher it replaced , but the postives outweigh that for me. Itís also a true 2.6 at the tread and slightly below on the casing running on a 37mm ID rim. Currently have it paired with the 2.8 butcher up front , but pirbably going to try a 2.6 vigilante next.

I did puncture the tire and it would seal without tire bacon early on, but I blame running too low pressure and hack riding. For reference, I have probably flatted 8 or so Maxxis tires in same or less miles. wtb also provided killer cs and sent me a comped tough casing to try. I am going to try that on soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Canít find much on the new trailboss 2.6. Sure looks like a good all around tire reviews seem to be good. Thinking of running it front and rear. Anyone running them?
    Depends on where you ride. On hardback desert with sand on top, they are horrible. On rocks with a little sand thrown in, on and around, they are horrible. Lousy traction climbing our rocky trails in the Az desert. Tried them tubeless at low pressures, not much better. Running Duro Crux, much much better grip, tractored up every trail today; even when my GF stopped halfway up directly in front of me and I had to stop re aim my front tire and granny gear tractor up past her. I remember the Trailbosses would just slip and spin on those trails even when I had a little more speed and momentum.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    Depends on where you ride. On hardback desert with sand on top, they are horrible. On rocks with a little sand thrown in, on and around, they are horrible. Lousy traction climbing our rocky trails in the Az desert. Tried them tubeless at low pressures, not much better. Running Duro Crux, much much better grip, tractored up every trail today; even when my GF stopped halfway up directly in front of me and I had to stop re aim my front tire and granny gear tractor up past her. I remember the Trailbosses would just slip and spin on those trails even when I had a little more speed and momentum.
    Is that the new one from last year with bigger lugs and spaced more?

Got rocks?
    This thing looks pretty good. Canít wait to try it out!

Trying to be helpful
    Anyone measured a 2.6 on an 30mm internal rim? The 2.4 on the 30 measures out at 2.3, wondering if the 2.6 is also undersized?

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Got rocks?
    When I talked to WTB they said itís a big 2.6 but Iíll let you know after I mount it on 35mm

mtbr member
    Blister Gear Review (whose tire reviews I usually find to be a notch above others) recently reviewed the Trail Boss 2.6 and Vigilante 2.6: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...boss-2-6-tires

They seemed to really like both, with the caveat being that the Trail Boss needs softer dirt to dig into and is no bueno on rocks (which means it wonít work for me).

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Barely in control
    That's nice that they increased the knob size on the bigger tires. I hate when a tire maker decreases them.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Blister Gear Review (whose tire reviews I usually find to be a notch above others) recently reviewed the Trail Boss 2.6 and Vigilante 2.6: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...boss-2-6-tires

They seemed to really like both, with the caveat being that the Trail Boss needs softer dirt to dig into and is no bueno on rocks (which means it wonít work for me).

Super cool review thanks for posting.

One thing I thought was odd, he compares the new 2.6 Trail Boss to the old version 2.4. Why not the newer 2.4, seems a bit misleading.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    I ride that combo right now (Vigilante/Trail Boss). I think it's been the best combo for me so far. Stable, confident, tough, and predictive. I don't concern myself with tire weight (lowest on the list of tire priorities for me), so don't know how they compare to other tires.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Super cool review thanks for posting.

One thing I thought was odd, he compares the new 2.6 Trail Boss to the old version 2.4. Why not the newer 2.4, seems a bit misleading.
    Probably to give people a reference that they can relate to. If you haven't tried either of the new versions, then what good would be the comparison? Or maybe he tried the new 2.6 but not the new 2.4, but he has ridden the old 2.4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I ride that combo right now (Vigilante/Trail Boss). I think it's been the best combo for me so far. Stable, confident, tough, and predictive. I don't concern myself with tire weight (lowest on the list of tire priorities for me), so don't know how they compare to other tires.
    I am still on the fence about it. I am little hesitant to switch from my tried and true Maxxis DHF/Aggressor combo.

I don't care about weight either within reason. I have ruined too many tires so I run Double Down casing in the back. I was wondering if I would need a tough casing WTB in the back?

Trying to be helpful
    I am still on the fence about it. I am little hesitant to switch from my tried and true Maxxis DHF/Aggressor combo.

I don't care about weight either within reason. I have ruined too many tires so I run Double Down casing in the back. I was wondering if I would need a tough casing WTB in the back?
    I would definitely go with the Tough casing if you ruin tires.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I would definitely go with the Tough casing if you ruin tires.

Figured so but the WTB 2.6s weigh a lot more than the Maxxis 2.6s which had me wondering if it would be necessary. The Maxxis 2.6s are notorious for being weaker than their 2.5 counterparts.

Got rocks?
    When I talked to WTB they told me the new slash guard should be a bit tougher than EXO. So I tried that first. Gonna mount it in the morning and go for a ride

mtbr member

Yeah, always tough to get away from what works. Honestly, I wound't have tried this WTB combo if a new bike I purchased didn't come with them. Although, I was a big WTB fan many years ago.

As for casing, in my mind, I think it might depend on how you're "ruining" your tires... sidewall slashes, excessive center tread wear? If you're hammering sidewalls, I'd lean toward tough casing. No scientific basis, just a gut feel. If it's center tread, I'm not sure.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Got rocks?

Just mounted it on i35 rims. Went super smooth no issues mounting. My old slaughter was 70 wide as is the DHF front. The TB is 66mm at the widest knob with a casing of 61mm. Going for a ride now so will report back after.

Got rocks?
    Very impressed with this tire! Seemed to roll as well if not better than my 2.8 slaughter. Traction was great especially side hill on loos ground. For now I really like it will see how it holds up.

Got rocks?
    I swapped the tire to the front to see how I like it there. I heard it does pretty good. If I like it enough Iíll buy another to put back on it.