Wtb judge front?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Wtb judge front?

Anyone ran the judge as a front tire? Loads of stuff for it as a rear and I know thatís how itís marketed but i was wondering about frontage use.
    I suppose itíd be fine and it looks like a dhr2 kinda. Which is pretty popular as a front tire now.

Gracias

mtbr member
    Purely a guess here, but I think you might feel a transition leaning into turns with the Judge's larger squared off outer lugs. Also, with the lugs being on the taller side, they may give more than you'd like in turns. But this is all just an assumption without considering how the tire flexes under load, type of trail, etc. For most riders, the Judge would probably be just fine up front. The DHR2's outer lugs look like they round out a little more and aren't as tall.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Purely a guess here, but I think you might feel a transition leaning into turns with the Judge's larger squared off outer lugs. Also, with the lugs being on the taller side, they may give more than you'd like in turns. But this is all just an assumption without considering how the tire flexes under load, type of trail, etc. For most riders, the Judge would probably be just fine up front. The DHR2's outer lugs look like they round out a little more and aren't as tall.
    The side knobs on all WTB tires are pretty rowdy.

Either way you're going to feel a transition leaning into turns with tires that lack intermediate knobs, that's just the way these tires are.

While the Judge might be optimized for rear use and braking traction, plenty of people like the DHR2 on the front.

Personally I like the Vigilante a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    IIRC Marco Osborne runs the Judge up front for hardpacked trails when he races, I seem to recall reading an interview or bike check where it was mentioned.

Personally, I don't think I could run it up front due to the lack of volume. The Judge is a huge tire but most of the size comes from the knobs and the casing is pretty small, it's a pretty harsh tire as a result and likes to bounce around more than I'd prefer, but I'd think it would do better on certain types of terrain than the Vigilante or Verdict due to the larger profile of the knobs. The Vigilante does OK on hardpack, but it does get a bit more squirmy than some others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Personally I like the Vigilante a lot.
    Same here. It's currently my go to front tire. More rounded with staggered lugs. Trail Boss rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Same here. It's currently my go to front tire. More rounded with staggered lugs. Trail Boss rear.
    That's what I'm running. I'm impressed with how quickly they wore out and the rear is getting ridiculously drifty, but I think I'm going to go with another set anyway. I have thought the Vigilante (in a 2.3) might make for a fun rear tire, too, although in the soft compound, it would probably shed the lugs pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    I am using the convict up front. I did consider the Judge, but it was either not available, or they did not have the width I wanted. So far, wet muddy, dry dusty and hard pack and the convict has been pretty solid so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's what I'm running. I'm impressed with how quickly they wore out and the rear is getting ridiculously drifty, but I think I'm going to go with another set anyway. I have thought the Vigilante (in a 2.3) might make for a fun rear tire, too, although in the soft compound, it would probably shed the lugs pretty quickly.
    My Trail Boss tires lasted ~200-250 miles before wearing considerably, at 400 miles it was a semislick. They wear excessively fast, which is a shame, but the side knobs seem to continue to do their job even when the center tread is gone

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    My Trail Boss tires lasted ~200-250 miles before wearing considerably, at 400 miles it was a semislick. They wear excessively fast, which is a shame, but the side knobs seem to continue to do their job even when the center tread is gone
    My experience was the same; the center knobs on the Trail Boss tires on my bike are pretty much done and it's getting pretty drifty. The front Vigilante has cracks and chunks missing from the side knobs, but it still works pretty well despite looking like crap. I'm not sure whether to complain or run them. I'm going to run them until my trip to Sedona in March unless they get unbearable before then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    My experience was the same; the center knobs on the Trail Boss tires on my bike are pretty much done and it's getting pretty drifty. The front Vigilante has cracks and chunks missing from the side knobs, but it still works pretty well despite looking like crap. I'm not sure whether to complain or run them. I'm going to run them until my trip to Sedona in March unless they get unbearable before then.
    Which casings are you guys running?

My (front) Vigilante is light/high-grip, my (rear) Trail Boss is light/fast-rolling. I've been consistent in wearing the Trail Boss faster, about 2 Trail Boss's to one Vigilante. Me, personally, I accept that they wear faster than other tires I've used over the years because of how I like their handling. It's a trade off for me.

I am considering, though, trying the tough/high-grip and tough/fast-rolling casings to see if they wear any slower. It's been my impression the tough casing is more about sidewall than harder (slower wearing) tread, but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    I am considering, though, trying the tough/high-grip and tough/fast-rolling casings to see if they wear any slower. It's been my impression the tough casing is more about sidewall than harder (slower wearing) tread, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Well... just found some info (way down the search results in Google).

(source)

----------------------------
    TCS Light
    Single-ply 60 tpi casing. The tread is wrapped over a single layer of 60 tpi casing to create a gram-conscious level designed to be compliant and grippy, while also minimizing weight for cross-country and trail riding.

TCS Tough
    Dual-ply 60 tpi casing. The tread is wrapped around two layers of 60 tpi casing to provide an unbeatable combination of puncture protection, durability and support. Our TCS Tough casing provides ample protection for aggressive trail, enduro and gravity riding. TCS Tough tires are also an excellent choice for bikepackers who prioritize durability above all else.
    Many of our TCS Light mountain tires feature a level of puncture protection called Slash Guard.

TCS Light tires with Slash Guard feature a single-ply casing with the addition of a nylon insert spanning the entire sidewall to provide additional sidewall protection without adding unnecessary weight. Slash Guard provides an intermediate level of protection between TCS Light and TCS Tough for those who want extra sidewall durability without the weight of a dual-ply casing.

----------------------------

I'm still not 100% sure if this translates to longer wearing tread between light and tough casings.