mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. WTB Asym i29 VS KOM Tough i29 ?

Hi all!

I am currently using WTB Asym i29 rims, which I love, but WTB just released a new KOM Tough rim. The profile seems stronger (i-beam in the center), but the spoke holes are centered, VS the Asym rim which does't have the ibeam, but the spoke holes are offset, giving the spokes more even tension. The KOM Tough is even a bit lighter than the Asym, probably because it has no eyelets.

Which one would make for a stronger wheel ? Stronger rim or more even tension ? Thanks!

What? There's more?
    The KOM Tough is not an I-beam according to WTB, but has two ribs. It's also 45 grams lighter than the Async. You should try it and let us know how it works out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I should have written I-beams since they now have two beams instead of one (like my old Laserdisc FRs). From their website : "Our legendary I-Beam construction has evolved to further reinforce the rim with dual support beams that provide increased strength and stiffness for the world’s most aggressive riders. " That must be their strongest rim, but a few manufacturers are switching to offset spoke holes for their dh/enduro rims/wheels to get more even tension/stronger wheelbuild.

I've had great luck with the Asyms, but I'll ask WTB to see what's their take on those. I'll probably try the KOM Tough on my next wheelbuild and will report back though. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I don't know about the "vs" part, but I can tell you for sure, that id you want a pretty damn bomb proof rim, the Asym is definitely it. I've built up 2 sets of wheels for myself using them and 3 sets for other guys and I haven't gotten back any reports from them onany issues. I like the Asym for the dishless build and not needing to have multiple spoke lengths. Just ordered a e13 TRS+ rim to try as a lighter alternative for my rigid which is currently running a Dually45, also for a better bead seat (price was too good to pass on), first non WTB rim I'll be using for a build in over 6 years.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Are the WTB rims pinned, sleeved or welded? I am interested in the KOM Tough. My MK3's are beat to hell & honestly do not care about weight.

What? There's more?
    I think all WTBs are sleeved.

mtbr member
    WTB states that they are sleeved. All the WTB rims I've used so far have all definitely not been welded and I've never had an issue with any of them in any regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ttchad View Post
    Are the WTB rims pinned, sleeved or welded? I am interested in the KOM Tough. My MK3's are beat to hell & honestly do not care about weight.

Rocks belong
    If the KOM Tough is truly ~50g lighter than the Asym, that's commendable. Agreed that the Asym is a reliable rim, so the KOM Tough has promise!

Although, I've always wondered if the I-Beam really provides what it promises? When I kill rims, it's always at the sidewall (where the I-beams don't really support much). I typically ding them so bad that the rim sidewall is compromised (cracks when you try to bend it back out) or the rim flat spots on that side.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was comparing the different rims yesterday from WTB and noticed that as well and w3as kind of dubious as to if they could be as strong as the Asym with the extra internal ribs taking material away from elsewhere on the rim and being lighter by 50g. If you compare the KOM Tough i45, it's actually lighter than the Scraper as well, really hoping someone who's ridden the Asym and Scraper builds and rides these new KOM Toughs and reports back.

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    If the KOM Tough is truly ~50g lighter than the Asym, that's commendable. Agreed that the Asym is a reliable rim, so the KOM Tough has promise!

Although, I've always wondered if the I-Beam really provides what it promises? When I kill rims, it's always at the sidewall (where the I-beams don't really support much). I typically ding them so bad that the rim sidewall is compromised (cracks when you try to bend it back out) or the rim flat spots on that side.