WTB asym I19 rims for a winter abused bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

WTB asym I19 rims for a winter abused bike

So, my old winter bike got a little "too nice" so ive shuffled some parts around and have a new GT 27.5 hardtail frame, with an SLX 7100 12 speed group.

That means naturally, new (rear) wheel build!

CRC has some cheap as free WTB asym i19 rims in both 27.5 and 29. Has anyone used these? These wheels will be beaten pretty hard. On icy roads I often run near zero pressure with tubeless tires for traction and they get slammed into potholes and other obstacles under the snow. in summer this bike is an aggressive commuter, and a "borrow" bike for off road. So I want some degree of performance and not just the cheapest crap rims to destroy.

My old snow wheels are DT RR511 rims (r32 wheelset), and those held up shockingly well, but this time around I want wider tires than 33c x-one bite's, and the "too nice" comes into play.

Otherwise, any other recommendations for cheap durable 28h rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    race face ARC 27 seems to be another cheap option. But only 27.5, s limits me to proper wide tires.

I also get worried when things are on 80% off blowout sale... usually means they suck :P

mtbr member
    I currently have 2018 model WTB Asym i29's on a trail bike laced to Hope 4 hubs using DT Swiss spokes. I assume they are similar to the i19's. A lot of hard hits on rocks and roots almost daily. They're staying truer than any wheel I've had this long (1 1/2 years so far). I am impressed with them considering their MSRP. Already decided that if I destroy one, I'll replace it with the same rim. One additional comment, good or bad, tire beads really lock in tight on them. At least using WTB tires. It will be a challenge if you need to break a bead on the trail.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, good to know for next time.
    I bought the race face ARC rims. 24mm width.

Now I just need the front hub. Noone has the SLX in stock right "now" in 28h. So i either wair 2 weeks, or, see what other $50cdn hub crc / jenson has in. i wanted to build them up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On a side note. the SLX m7110 rear hub is extremely nice. Like, "regretting the purchase for a winter bike" nice.

Jury is out on the cup and cone, but, assuming they spin smooth for a while, i don't think id bother with dt/hope on new bikes anymore (unless i wanted to be fancy).