Would you ride a tubeless tire with a Gorilla Taped sidewall tear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Would you ride a tubeless tire with a Gorilla Taped sidewall tear?

I've got a practically brand new Specialized Ground Control 29x2.3 that I was running as a rear tire. I run tubeless and have done so for many years. I slashed the sidewall on the tire this weekend and had to put a tube in (no boot but should have used one) to get back home. This tire only has about 50 miles on it, I was very pissed to have slashed it. I have had some bad luck this year slashing sidewalls and basically wrecking the tire for tubeless use, but I have honestly never tried repairing them.

I put a regular glueless tube patch over the slash from the inside since I had nothing else with me to use as a boot. It bulged but didn't pop on the ride back. I'm considering putting a layer or two of Gorilla Tape over the patch on the inside of the tire to trying to use this new tire tubeless again.

Opinions on this? Yay or nay?

Thanks.

It ain't easy being Green
    For a more permanent fix there are several things you can do:
    1. Sew up the sidewall tear with thread
    2. Use fiberglass cloth with ShoeGu adhesive to patch the inside of the sidewall

I had good luck with that method; tire lasted several months before sealant ate away the adhesive and the tire started leaking again. YMMV, of course.

It ain't easy being Green
    I just noticed the "sewing cut tires" thread a few down from this one... check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tried it, it won't hold for more than a ride or two (I eventually replaced the tire).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Tried it, it won't hold for more than a ride or two (I eventually replaced the tire).
    Bummer. How did it fail? I have purchased a new replacement, but I still want to try and salvage this practically new tire.

mtbr member
    OK, 2 layers of Gorilla tape over the patch on the inside and it still bulges. This is with a tube. Need a firmer boot, maybe I'll cannibalize an old tire.

mtbr member
    I would not ride that.

regarding your bad luck, it's possible that perhaps you need to consider tires with tougher sidewalls. Geax TNT or Maxxis LUST for example. unsurprisingly, these tires are heavier than your Ground Control, but it might be that you need it.

Tree Crasher
    It's the fibers molded within the tire that gives it its structure, not the actual rubber. Cut the fibers and you're SOL. This applies to car, moto, bike, whatever.

Take your new tire back to your LBS and tell him your predicament. A chance at a 5 or 10% discount couldn't hurt.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Yeah, the tire is hosed. I'm talking with the shop about warranty since it is so new.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    There are patches made for automobile tire sidewalls with fibers running inside them, you can get them at tire/automotive supply stores.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I would not ride that.

regarding your bad luck, it's possible that perhaps you need to consider tires with tougher sidewalls. Geax TNT or Maxxis LUST for example. unsurprisingly, these tires are heavier than your Ground Control, but it might be that you need it.
    Yes, I have thought often about tires with more sidewall protection. I'm not a hard core weight weenie, but with the amount of money I've sunk into my alpha bike to make it light and awesome it pains me to use heavier than necessary tires! I've had such great luck with Specialized 2Bliss Control-series tires and I find them to be a great blend of tubeless ready/great selection of treads/reasonably light weight/not grossly expensive that I've remained loyal. But since the end of last season I have now slashed the sidewalls on 3 different tires, each of them ranging from fairly new to pretty much brand new. Maybe just a patch of bad luck but the whole "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" saying is running through my head, especially since I'm on to fool me thrice!

I was really hoping for a 29x2.3 Ground Control Armadillo or Purgatory 29x2.3 (current front tire) Armadillo, but I don't see Armadillo versions of these in 29".

So since I've been loyal to Spesh Control tires for many years, I'm not knowledgeable about my options for tubeless ready 29er tires. I prefer a healthy amount of tread (a la Purgatory and Ground Control) and width versus a need for fast rolling. I've got a quiver of tires for use when I need it to be fast rolling. So Maxxis LUST and Geax TNT sound like options, what else is there?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    So since I've been loyal to Spesh Control tires for many years, I'm not knowledgeable about my options for tubeless ready 29er tires. I prefer a healthy amount of tread (a la Purgatory and Ground Control) and width versus a need for fast rolling. I've got a quiver of tires for use when I need it to be fast rolling. So Maxxis LUST and Geax TNT sound like options, what else is there?
    I don't have a 29er so I haven't looked into specific tire availability. However I did move from a Ground Control 26x2.3 F / 2.1 R combo to a Geax Saguaro TNT 2.2/2.0 combo and find the Geax is not only way tougher, but faster and similar cornering traction for my hardpack and loose-over-hardpack conditions. I could feel the weight difference when I picked up the bike, about a half pound, but after I got acclimated to the tires I enjoy the speed, traction and durability too much to even give a second thought about the weight.

If you're using a Purgatory and Ground Control combo, in Geax that would probably be a Barro on both ends, unless you are often in loamy or muddy conditions, then I'd think about the Gato.

For Maxxis, probably Ardent front and either Ignitor or Crossmark rear for speed, Ardent for volume and traction.

There's a whole bunch of threads about all these tires on MTBR if you want to dig into details.

dwt
    mtbr member

Would you ride a tubeless tire with a Gorilla Taped sidewall tear?

Depending on the size of the cut, I have had success with auto tire quilled patch plugs, like these on eBay. They bond to inside of tire with chemical Vulcanization

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190866553838
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    There are patches made for automobile tire sidewalls with fibers running inside them, you can get them at tire/automotive supply stores.
    I actually had to bring my truck in today to get a slow leaking tire dealt with and I thought I'd ask about this kind of product. I showed them my tire since it was with me in the truck. He offered me a patch for free and said it couldn't hurt to try!

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I ran a duct tape patched tire tubeless for a while. Worked great and forgot about it. Then it split in the middle of TransIowa, whoops! It's not a long term fix. Pretty much once I slash a sidewall the tire is on a limited duty and this was a pretty small cut.

mtbr member
    That's exactly the problem. If you patch it, when will it fail?

Specialized has a satisfaction guarantee on their tires. Normally that would involve a tire that you are unhappy with the traction, ride quality, whatever. Bring them to your dealer and swap them. I know someone who did this with a Renegade, traded for a Fast Trak.

However, I've never heard of someone doing this with a cut tire. I'd certainly give it a try...