Would you buy a 300g rear asian 48pt hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Would you buy a 300g rear asian 48pt hub?

Would you?

Would you buy one if it was warrantied and had after sales support? Would you not buy it solely because of the lack of name? Does it influence your decision if they're sold from a US distributor? Does having a matching front/rear set matter to you?

I might have something new to offer, but Its a lesser known brand. *I* think they're excellent, but I remember some of the feelings I had when I first saw these cheap hubs for sale. I originally passed them up for a bigger named hub for my personal wheels because I was concerned about parts availability and warranty.. Ive been doing road wheels and hubs for a bit, and am considering mountain wheels, if theres a market.

Im not actually selling anything.. hope this doesnt come off as spammy, just doing some market research first! My buddy breaks every piece of bicycle he looks at, so Im going to have him hammer a set for a while and see how it looks. To me, a front hub is a front hub, I was always more concerned with the rears.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Depends on:

a) Reputation. If someone could provide reliable reviews.

b) Cost. Poor college racer here.. that is why Im considering faithful XT for a build for this season. I just cant seem to justify the money for other hubs.

transmitter~receiver
    sure.
    a set matters to me... and i think to many.
    one thing that turns me off about the currently available re-branded asian hubs is the total lack of attention to aesthetic in the branding that is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I dont like the rebranding at all.. I think some of these hubs would have a pretty good reputation by now if people knew what they were actually riding. These hubs have the factories logo on them.

They're bitex hubs. I like them quite a bit myself, but most people havent heard of bitex (since they'll laser anyones logo on them, much like formula, chosen, etc). You can check out their site for their test specs.. but tests from the factory arent always the most trusted source.

Former Bike Wrench
    Lots of good hubs are made in Asia such as Stans ZTR, BWW XCR, Sun Ringle, AC, WTB, various Formula made hubs such as Bontrager...so where they are made is not an issue for me.

What concerns me is service if I have a problem, which is why I would shy away from some of the brands sold on Ebay directly from Asia. I want to be able to buy a new FH body or pawls if I have an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I want to be able to buy a new FH body or pawls if I have an issue.
    Agreed. Parts availability would be the biggest factor for me. I was really impressed by the Novatec hubs I've used, but I've been in contact with them in the past about a replacement part and they had no network of any sort in the US. I'd have to be a complete new front and rear hubset on ebay to get any replacement parts

mtbr member
    That was a big factor for me too.. for the road hubs I carry, I stock all the replacement parts. The mountain set would be the same.

But yeah, even bigger brands like novatech, replacements become a nightmare. The bearings for these are ~10-20 bucks a set and FHB's are around 30-40 with bearings and pawls.

Sounds viable?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    That was a big factor for me too.. for the road hubs I carry, I stock all the replacement parts. The mountain set would be the same.

But yeah, even bigger brands like novatech, replacements become a nightmare. The bearings for these are ~10-20 bucks a set and FHB's are around 30-40 with bearings and pawls.

Sounds viable?
    Bearings are almost never an issue...but freehub bodies are and $30-$40 seems about right for replacements. I'm guessing at 300g they will be alloy, having a steel option for those of us who value durability over weight would be nice too.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot

Sounds viable?
    I think so... the state-side presence for support and parts is key.
    I also think branding is important. You might not like re-branding, but you are adding value to the hubset by offering support and parts, and "Bitex" ain't all that sexy, even though it looks better than oversized block letters in arial font.
    Just look at the success of ZTR and BWW hubs... they stand behind those products, and the branding is horrendous.

The Cheater
    I've never seen a Novatec hub that needed a new freehub body replacement and I've seen quite a few as almost everyone had a set at sometime during their newbie years here. The only thing needed replacement are the bearings which are super easy to find and replace. Even if those Novatecs get broken somehow, at $65 a set for their lightest alum model, it's no big deal. Think of it as paying for gas for your car once.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda
    Think of it as paying for gas for your car once.
    and then having to spend ~2 hours (if you're real fast) rebuilding your wheels... unless you mean buying a hubset to get the FHB.

meow meow
    having a matching set does not matter to me. as long as they are the same color i am cool. but the price would have to be right and the service would have to be there.

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    and then having to spend ~2 hours (if you're real fast) rebuilding your wheels... unless you mean buying a hubset to get the FHB.
    Dude I just drop them off at the local shop every 6 months and pick them up on the same day. Why do it yourself?
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

transmitter~receiver
    Dude I just drop them off at the local shop every 6 months and pick them up on the same day. Why do it yourself?
    cuz that's how i roll. why pay someone else to do at best an equal job when you enjoy doing it yourself?
    paying more for the rebuild than the hubset seems a bit backwards, but to each his own.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've never seen a Novatec hub that needed a new freehub body replacement and I've seen quite a few as almost everyone had a set at sometime during their newbie years here. The only thing needed replacement are the bearings which are super easy to find and replace. Even if those Novatecs get broken somehow, at $65 a set for their lightest alum model, it's no big deal. Think of it as paying for gas for your car once.
    My expectation is that my hubs outlive my rims and spokes, and replacing an entire hub because you can't get a freehub body is retarded

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    I think so... the state-side presence for support and parts is key.
    I also think branding is important. You might not like re-branding, but you are adding value to the hubset by offering support and parts, and "Bitex" ain't all that sexy, even though it looks better than oversized block letters in arial font.
    Just look at the success of ZTR and BWW hubs... they stand behind those products, and the branding is horrendous.
    Im not locked into either way.. thats a good consideration/viewpoint though. Maybe Ill brand them and add a subscripted "by Bitex". Their logo is bit nicer than some of the generics ive seen!

Id be pretty pissed if I was trashing hubs every 6 months! Either way, these are similar to hopes in terms of service.. but you wont be doing it every 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If testing goes as I think it will, you'll be seeing them in a few months

mtbr member
    I know you're just asking about the rear hub, but I must add that in this day and age a front hub that is convertible between QR and at least one thru-axle standard (but preferably both) adds a lot of value to a hubset for me.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I know you're just asking about the rear hub, but I must add that in this day and age a front hub that is convertible between QR and at least one thru-axle standard (but preferably both) adds a lot of value to a hubset for me.
    +1

Bonus if 10mm thru bolt, 15mm, and 20mm are all available

T.W.O.
    If they are cheap why not 48 poe is pretty damn quick well 7.5 degree not too bad if the price is right. Instant engagement at a bargain, I'll take it. What's the price?

Members who have read this thread: 0