mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Would you buy a 2018 bike without boost?

I'm checking out the Canyon Exceed and it looks like an amazing bike for the money. But no boost. Still 142 spacing. Is this something I should worry about if I plan on keeping the bike for several years?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I wouldn't, I think there'll be plenty of hub choices for years, plus, if you get a decent hubset, those tend to be much more durable and there is support for years, if not longer. DT Swiss, Hope, CK, etc., you can always get bearings for these things and I'm sure the non-boost hubs will be available for years. Boost is a minimal increase in strength/performance, it makes sense from an engineering perspective, but it also answers a question that no one was really asking. Makes wheels a tiny bit stiffer IF the manufacturer takes advantage of this, but carbon rims make 29ers so dramatically stiffer that boost is a molehill compared to that mountain. Eventually I may get a bike that has it, but I'm in no hurry and even if I had to buy one right now I would base the choice on other important things, like suspension, components, etc..
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Good detailed info. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For my needs, Boost is like MIPS: pure marketing. Which is fine.
    My latest bike has boost rear end but I went with non-boost fork because it was on sale. And I have several hubs that were non-boost. As a 160 pound XC rider I can't tell the diff between 142 or 148. I notice more "lateral stiffness" from a good sidewall and correct air pressure.

mtbr member
    Boost does allow bigger tires to go into the frame as well but I think that's about it. Completely agree with everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Since the Exceed is a XC bike, you'll probably be using lighter, skinnier tires. Boost does allow for wider tires, but that's probably more detrimental on an XC bike anyway. Wheelsets are still being made in 12x142 and will be for a long time, should you decide to upgrade your wheels in the future. I'd say go for it.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Canyon has no bikes with Boost spacing in the rear and nothing yet announced that take Plus tires or even 2.5 or 2.6 tires. The Exceed is an old design. I'm hoping they can show some new bikes in October when they start their new model year. Everything on the site now are leftovers.

Wide rims and tires would make a hardtail very versatile because you could have a second wheelset with skinnier stuff for some courses. No such choice with the Exceed.

No sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Canyon has no bikes with Boost spacing in the rear and nothing yet announced that take Plus tires or even 2.5 or 2.6 tires. The Exceed is an old design. I'm hoping they can show some new bikes in October when they start their new model year. Everything on the site now are leftovers.

Wide rims and tires would make a hardtail very versatile because you could have a second wheelset with skinnier stuff for some courses. No such choice with the Exceed.

No sale.
    This. I picked up a chameleon plus and put a bigger fork on it and this thing is so capable it's conflicting with my all mtn rig.

If I need to put in miles and spin, I can either go 29er or none plus 27.5 and get my rolling resistance back down

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    I would not buy a 2018 model new w/o boost. If I was looking for a non-bo0st bike I would be looking for a deal on few year old model which there are plenty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Boost does allow bigger tires to go into the frame ...
    Not actually. Boost is a hub spec, not a tire width spec. Having the dropouts further apart says nothing about tire clearance at the other end of the seat and chain stays. Nowadays though, most manufactures are making bikes with wider clearance for the tire concurrent with boost dropout spacing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Not actually. Boost is a hub spec, not a tire width spec. Having the dropouts further apart says nothing about tire clearance at the other end of the seat and chain stays. Nowadays though, most manufactures are making bikes with wider clearance for the tire concurrent with boost dropout spacing.
    Boost hubs correlate to boost cranks, wider crank, more room for crank to chainstay clearance, hence more tire clearance.. of course if the designer doesn't account for that then, that concept goes out the door.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    In a XC bike shouldn't matter.

In an endure/ AM type bike, no way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    In a XC bike shouldn't matter.

In an endure/ AM type bike, no way.
    Agreed. Sorry deviating from the topic of an xc bike and talking more boost now.

Boost means nothing for an xc bike

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Boost hubs correlate to boost cranks, wider crank, more room for crank to chainstay clearance, hence more tire clearance.. of course if the designer doesn't account for that then, that concept goes out the door.
    Actually not correct. Boost cranks are not required.

Boost also isnt required either.

It only adds 6mm in the rear. 3mm per side And tires that fit plus bikes cab go upwards of 25mm wider that the average mountain bike tire

Plus boost isnt required being that simple offset change to rear triangle allows for the use of standard hub spacing and plenty of clearance for plus tires. Same with the crank matter, change offset to chainring. A 2-3x "boost" crank would need nothing more than a change in offset to the spider.

Boost was a new, bogus standard to make money. The change to forks with it makes way more sense and has an actual useful point for tire width. Rear was just marketing BS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Actually not correct. Boost cranks are not required.

Boost also isnt required either.

It only adds 6mm in the rear. 3mm per side And tires that fit plus bikes cab go upwards of 25mm wider that the average mountain bike tire

Plus boost isnt required being that simple offset change to rear triangle allows for the use of standard hub spacing and plenty of clearance for plus tires. Same with the crank matter, change offset to chainring. A 2-3x "boost" crank would need nothing more than a change in offset to the spider.

Boost was a new, bogus standard to make money. The change to forks with it makes way more sense and has an actual useful point for tire width. Rear was just marketing BS.

I never said I was supporting boost, I'm only bringing to the table what boost can potentially do for an engineer. Tire clearance was about the only thing I felt was relevant.

Wheel stiffness is just laughable...

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ah ok i misunderstood the intent there, my bad.

In the front both tire clearance and stiffness (Id think more in strength that stiffness) could be an improvement done correctly at the hubs. 10% increase can mean a lot to fat guys like me lol.

I wish hub manufacturers had been smart and used the extra space to balance the bracing angles better. One thing I love about my cannondale b+. AI offset in the rear, balances bracing angles, combined with and interesting take on stay forming it makes the rear very laterally stiff but actually not bad compliance for an aluminum hard tail.

mtbr member
    I have steel HT that can run 29+ tires to 3.0 wide. The frame is set for 135 or 142 not boost. I am currently running 135 QR dropouts for comparability to my other 29HT. A friend of my mine was selling a set of boost carbon 29er where. I might have considered buying them from him if I had boost. I don't and he has still yet to sell the wheels.

Boost can be better if the hubs, wheels and frame are all designed around it. However if all it is just a little wide axle spacing then not worth much and becomes another standard to have to deal with.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Hate to say this but... go Hope! 130 wide 17 mm thru axle 0 dish. I stand behind that design!
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Hope is up to some new stuff, saw that video yesturday. That price or not I was drooling. Nice to see the current standards being abandoned, taking a step back and addressing the inherent flaws that have existed for a long time.

If i could afford it that is one bike i would drop that kind of coin on, I dont care if its untested so far. The fact they put so much effort into ensuring every aspect of the design and carbon layout is perfect for every frame instead of mass produced, hoping you dont get a flawed frame that made it past QC, frames has my attention.

If i find the money I will hand it over with the biggest grin and "stiffness" ive ever had towards a bike lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I'm checking out the Canyon Exceed and it looks like an amazing bike for the money. But no boost. Still 142 spacing. Is this something I should worry about if I plan on keeping the bike for several years?
    If the price is right...I would get it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Without hesitation.

MCMXCV
    I would buy a non-boost bike all day and never think twice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is the current exceed still non boost?

Barely in control
    I'm all in for boost. No boost, no purchase. That means sb 157 is also right out.

I will make an exception for 142 hard tails. You can just pull the dropouts apart and use a longer ta for a boost hub.

Barely in control
    Agreed. Sorry deviating from the topic of an xc bike and talking more boost now.

Boost means nothing for an xc bike
    Not true. For a 28 spoke wheel, you can build the rear wheel with 1.5mm spokes vs 1.8mm spokes and save 60 grams for the same stiffness, or 120 grams for the set.

ninjichor.com
    If I see a higher end 29er frame without boost, then it had better be cheap enough to offset the cost of carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'm all in for boost. No boost, no purchase. That means sb 157 is also right out.

I will make an exception for 142 hard tails. You can just pull the dropouts apart and use a longer ta for a boost hub.
    Funny, I've been considering that. Is it really possible to get a 148mm axle in there without changing the alignment of the dropouts and derailleur hanger?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Funny, I've been considering that. Is it really possible to get a 148mm axle in there without changing the alignment of the dropouts and derailleur hanger?
    Depends on frame some with sliding dropouts will accommodate.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    It's going to be 0.3 degrees off before you cinch things down. I can tell you my drivetrain doesn't notice anything.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy a 2018 non boost bike, or any 2018 bike. It's 2019, for God's sake.
    Do the math.