mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Worth Upgrading?

I would like to shave some weight from my wheels. I have a small budget to work with, I would like to stay under $250. Currently I am riding Rhyno Lite rims on XT hubs my best guess is the are probably around 2600 gram for the pair.

I found the Mavic Crossride UB Disc at various online retailers and they are within my budget. Looks like they are about 1950 grams per pair. Is it worth the money to make the change? Will I actually feel a 650 gram difference when lugging my bike up hill?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    First weigh your current wheels. Rhyno Lites with XT hubs typically weigh around 2100 to 2200g, not 2600. Remove the tire, tube, rim strip and qr's. Yes a pain in the butt I know, but this is how wheels are weighed, pretty much naked. Then you'll have a correct, no guess weight to compare with. And make sure you make a note of front and rear weights as well as combined weight. This can make a difference as well.

So the Ryhnos usually average around 2170 and that's a published weight. And we'll go with the published weight of the Crossrides at 1940g. Keep in mind that these are claimed weights and not actual. Actual weights can vary a bit.

It breaks down like this. RL Front 968g, RL Rear 1203g. Crossride Front 900g, Crossride Rear 1040g. RL Set F&R 2171g, Crossride Set F&R 1940g. Differences, Front 68g, Rear, 163g. Total weight reduction, 231g.

So you'll definitely be getting lighter, but only buy about a half pound. Now where you feel it most when loosing wheel weight is in the rear, the lower the rotating mass the faster the wheel can be accelerated. You'd be loosing a shade over 1/3 of a pound in the rear wheel.

Will you feel the difference. Most likely, it won't be a profound earth shattering difference, but most people can feel as little as a 1/4 lb difference in rear wheel weight. The front not so much.
    Is it worth the upgrade? Your call on that one. It totally depends on how much weight you are looking to save. At a budget of $250 you're not likely going to save a huge amount of weight. If your actual weight savings were to be 650g then yeah well worth it! But it's not likely you'll save that much.

Bottom line, weigh your current wheels correctly. then compare. The Crossrides are nice wheels. But your weight savings won't be as high as you think. But they'd certainly be an upgrade quality wise. As I said, your call from there.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a set of crossrides that are brand new, never ridden that I would sell to you. PM me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mavic 717 on XT hubs would be noticeably lighter and can be found in that price range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Squash your response is above and beyond what I expected.

Members who have read this thread: 0