Will this work or am I wasting my time?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Will this work or am I wasting my time?

Hi trying to run tubeless with following set up for 29er
    WTB Frequency I23 rims and Maxxis Ardent I guess folding tire. I guess cause they came stock on my Tallboy LT.

So trying to seat front tire and even with lots of soapy water and 200PSI from compresser tire won't seat on bead. You can see the tire in the bottom of the rim but it won't seal.

On my 26 inch bike I only use UST rims and tires and that works fine. But I thought people were mounting folding tires as tubeless in the 29er world. So should I buy the tubeless ready version of the tire and that will work? Or is there a trick to get tire to seal?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think wasting your time. Using a combination not made for tubeless is always a bit hit or miss. I would get a TLR/TCS/TNT tire and you're all set. I've got the i23 set up with TCS bronson and vigilante and it was a piece of cake even with a floor pump. Additionally, UST bead with UST spec rim will be much safer.

Chris Bling
    Dont do it. I tried a similar combo just for an experiment with a tube inside and the tire came off the rim about 35 psi
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks that what i feared. Ehwik are you running bronson in front or back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Running the bronson in back. Vigilante was a bit close on clearance in the back. Can't say to much about it yet because I just mounted them. I like the size and tread. I'm a little worried the side knobs on the bronson might flex/tear off as they are quite tall and a bit softer rubber.

Slower But Faster
    One trick to get a tubeless tyre to seal is to mount it up first with a tube, deflate and remove only one bead leaving the other side mounted up, remove the tube, fit a tubeless valve and inflate; once seated up nicely on both sides add sealant through the valve core.

I have mounted many Maxxis regular type tyres on UST bead rims successfully using this method with pressures up to 40 psi. I do however agree with the comment above about having an easier time mounting a tyre with a TLR/TCS/TNT bead shape.