mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Wider Tires for the Winter vs Fat Bike

Hi,
    Iím kind of a newbie in the mountain bike world. I bought a 2019 Cannondale Lefty Ocho Carbon 4 this season and have been doing a lot of cross country trail riding. Iím looking to extend my season into the winter crud assuming I can tolerate the cold.
    Can I put studded Fat tires on my bike with new rims, (my bike has 29Ē wheels) or do I have to go with a Fat Bike?
    Thanks!
    GJSnow

mbtr member
    Studs and fat deal with different issues. Studs are for ice and slick conditions, fat is for flotation.

I have no clue what you can install or what is more appropriate. I haven't spent a ton of time riding in snow, but i think if i needed studded fat tires then i'd be reaching to another sport. Both modifications are amazing and compromised outside their intended use.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

turtles make me hot
    Well, with the Lefty, you could build a fat wheel for the front but no way will a fat wheel fit in the back of your frame.

Might be time for a fat bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fat bike with studded tires is the ultimate winter riding weapon if you want to ride EVERYTHING! Switch over to summer tires when the time comes, and it's really hard to beat the versatility of a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for all your input.
    I was really looking for ways to not buy another bike. Space in the shed is becoming an issue plus the added expense.
    I guess I could have started with a Fat bike and put thinner tires on in the better weather. However, I really like my FS bike. I donít even know if they make a FS Fattie.
    GJSnow