Wide Rims? Don't believe the hype... - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,024 of 1024
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Ha View Post
    Haha! I don't fully understand your comment, but I am chuckling all the same.
    You're giving his panties a wedgie.

Urban Dictionary: wedgie

Urban Dictionary: camel toe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Are those Derby 35id?
    How is the thread on the Magic Mary? Is it a super gravity vertstar version?
    40mm od and 34mm id... for the 27.5 DH rim. Yes, super gravity vertstar version tires.

The tread is a bit more rounded on these tires, on the wide rims, than the DHF/ DHR II combo I am running on the DHR. Unfortunately, that's the extent of my knowledge, as I didn't experiment with any other tire combos.

mtbr member
    40mm od and 34mm id... for the 27.5 DH rim. Yes, super gravity vertstar version tires.

The tread is a bit more rounded on these tires, on the wide rims, than the DHF/ DHR II combo I am running on the DHR. Unfortunately, that's the extent of my knowledge, as I didn't experiment with any other tire combos.
    How are the sidewalls compared to the thread? Are they any wider?
    How is the cornering on the side knobs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    How are the sidewalls compared to the thread? Are they any wider?
    How is the cornering on the side knobs?
    My answers are probably going to sound a bit generic, as I think they ring true across the board as the interface between wide rims and tires evolve...
    -The sidewalls are more upright to a tread pattern that is a "flatter" and "squared off" at the shoulders.
    -No, I do not believe the tire is any wider. Admittedly, I have not measured this.
    -The cornering is hard to gauge, as I had also been working on my technique as I was riding these wheels. I do not feel that wide rims will make or break one's cornering prowess... but technique will.

From the Duryea, DH race 2015:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nvphatty
    Before the thread gets all passionate again, I'll do my best to keep it light with a pic of a DH bike!

I have wide rims (Derby) on my DHR, and have ridden them for a season and a half. Having been so impressed with them, I included a set on my new Jedi's build for 2016.
    nice lookin sled mate

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NWRyder View Post
    The Canfield rims are 23mm inner. They were half priced for the 26 set so I thought I would try them.

Universal has the new baron in stock, at least in 26.

Just a warning, if you run a 2.4 TK I think you will end up with a much larger rear tire (if you care about that). For my baron, after a day at 50psi, the casing is only 57mm. For reference the MK on the rear is measuring 60mm. Maybe after some time they will be the same width. But I also have a TK 2.2 and I think I remember it being almost exactly the same casing width as the MK 2.4. I do not have a TK 2.4 but I think they are huge.

The MK on the rear might be a bit lighter duty then I need but it is what I had so I will try it and not drop the psi too low. I would like the projekt casing in the MK or TK for the rear. I think they might make this now, not sure. Also I would want the harder rubber. They both say black chili but the baron feels much softer to me so I think it would drag on the back but can't say for sure.
    I did a side by side on the TK 2.4" on a wider rim (NOBL TR38) and it was fascinating that the contact patch was slightly narrower (but resulting in more support for the side knobs). Blog here: Exploring wider rims | bikeandskiblog
    XTR Di2 :thumbsup:
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1
    #weareone #stagescycling #9point8ca #rideshimano #pocsports

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    I did a side by side on the TK 2.4" on a wider rim (NOBL TR38) and it was fascinating that the contact patch was slightly narrower (but resulting in more support for the side knobs). Blog here: Exploring wider rims | bikeandskiblog
    This makes sense, as you spread the beads apart on a tire designed around a narrower rim, the sideknobs will stand more vertical, thus giving a slightly narrower stance. Going too wide on a rim on a tire designed for a narrower rim really narrows how far you can lean the bike as well, those same few degrees more vertical that the sideknobs stand are a few less degrees you can lean the bike before losing your cornering knob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I wonder if I can fit my 29x3.0 tires on my fixie wheels??? might start a new DH trend.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    What's the betting he won't use them in a WC race after this season though?
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 06-05-2016 at 03:18 PM.

FWIW...

Thread:
    Wide Rims?  Don't believe the hype...-needle_and_thread.jpg

Tread:
    Name:  treadparts.gif
Views: 1390
Size:  19.2 KB

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    FWIW...

Thread:

Tread:
    too cryptic for me.

mtbr member
    Anything new on this rims?

mtbr member
    There doesn't need to be anything new here. Buy a set and start shredding!

mtbr member

Lots of progress since originally starting this thread...

But one thing seems to remain...25mm inner width rims like the DT EX471 still on DH bikes.

bike rider
    I thought most DHers are on 30mm now?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's 2019 now and my road rims are almost as wide as my MTB rims. For me personally as a rider I have not found much benefit from running wider over 25mm ID MTB rims for my selection of tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldranger View Post
    2013 winning riders
    1. Steve Smith Ė Easton Havoc 23mm
    2. Greg Minnaar - Enve DH 21mm (30mm external)
    3. Aaron Gwin Ė DT FR600 24.9mm

This thread didn't age well. Minnaar is on 31mm internal width rims now and Gwinn is on 30mm I believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    This thread didn't age well. Minnaar is on 31mm internal width rims now and Gwinn is on 30mm I believe.
    In some ways, true. Itís a boring topic now, but I had so much fun with MCS and Feather that I think about it each new year. The most important tire topic thatís come up since I started it is clearly inserts (like Flat Tire Defender). Now thatís a game-changer! Also new since the thread started is the ĎWide Trailí casing design from Maxxis. Designed for 30-35mm, those tires are some of the best support for the concerns I initially presented.

https://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

On the contrary, what has aged well is the EX471. Still seen on even the most progressive bike builds and fastest riders in the sport. Canyon Factory Racing and The latest 27/29 wheel prototype from Specialized (Finn Iles)

Many amateurs DHers I see are on 29-30mm inner width rims. Itís a reflection of where the market has gone. And Stans new Flow Ex3 releases in March (580g and 29mm internal) will very likely end up my teams preferred rim with the current generation of Maxxis DH WT casing tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldranger View Post
    Also new since the thread started is the ĎWide Trailí casing design from Maxxis. Designed for 30-35mm, those tires are some of the best support for the concerns I initially presented.
    I have to give you credit on that one. Tires are now designed with wider rims in mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Yes, and their results, especially in the case of Minnaar are well off their usual standards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Yes, and their results, especially in the case of Minnaar are well off their usual standards.
    Lol, I'm sure that's the reason. Gwin won the World Cup overall on those 30mm rims btw.

mtbr member
    Speaking of what the pros are doing: a quick check of the 2018 UCI Top 10 (Points Standings) shows 4 of 10 riders were on the DT Swiss EX471 (inner width 25mm). The others were a smattering of 29-30 mm from different manufacturers. When I've been on track watching those guys over the past two years (Windrock Bike Park test sessions and races) either choice seems to be highly capable.

Again, I agree...this thread is an artifact of what was interesting (based on views and post count) years ago. My much my view at that time (typically a skeptic) was based on the local and regional hype where I live related to Industry Nine wheels and rims, which are ludicrously expensive and were pushing 'wide' at the time. Over the years...we've been doing just fine with Stans wheels w/Flow Ex and Mk3 rims. Our strong preference (pre-insert use) was the Flow Ex. Granted, the Mk3's made it easier to load inserts...but the durability wasn't there (we were destroying them too quickly). The Flow Ex3 should meet the needs of most amateurs at a damn good price point, with durability and room to easily manage Flat Tire Defender install/removal.

These days, the push to 29" wheels, inserts, and how those affect tire and rim design is more interesting. The Assegai on 30mm wide rims in a 29" diameter seems to have great promise on many trail conditions (other than wet clay). Look at what Maxxis is doing with lugs on that tire.

mtbr member
    I'm still rocking my EX471's and actually have a Aggressor WT on the rear which works great. The ex471 appears all over on winning bikes all over. Some riders like Rude run the 481(30mm)up front and 471(25mm) rear as well. At this point I think it really is preference and who is getting paid to run what. Fast guys are still gonna be fast on either.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456