Wide Rim fans -- what "Rounded" Profile Tires to minimize squared-profile effect??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Wide Rim fans -- what "Rounded" Profile Tires to minimize squared-profile effect??

Ok wide rim aficionados, given the way Blunt 35s and larger rims are said to 'square' the tread profile, what tires do you like on there to maintain some decent handling?

Are there a few with a rounder profile and/or smaller side knobs you like that don't square up as much?

Or you just adapt to riding squares? (by pedaling them, right?)

mtbr member
    I don't have wide rims but despise the round profile Hans Dampfs which have been getting great reviews when run on wide rims like Derby's 40mm versions. I'd think that tire to be a good place to start.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Wide Rim fans -- what "Rounded" Profile Tires to minimize squared-profile eff...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Ok wide rim aficionados, given the way Blunt 35s and larger rims are said to 'square' the tread profile, what tires do you like on there to maintain some decent handling?

Are there a few with a rounder profile and/or smaller side knobs you like that don't square up as much?

Use wider tires.

Why do you want wide rims if you do not want the tire to "square off"?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Use wider tires.

Hey Shiggy have you had a chance to test the Chunky Monkey on a 35mm yet?

I know it is not going to be a huge difference from the 29mm Flow I am building but interested in your input, I ran a 36mm rim on my AM 26er for years and thought it kept down "tire squirm" when running low pressure.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

transmitter~receiver

they don't square up, but the tire profile does have a larger radius on wider rims compared to narrower ones, which tends to close up the gaps between the knobs some.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I don't think there is an issue of wider rims degrading handling in any way. In fact, its quite the opposite in my experience with Derby's 40mm rims and from most of the other reviews. I don't really know or care whether the tire profile is more round or square on the wider rim or that I have had to adapt to riding them. Stick your favorite 2.1+ tire on there and they should perform great.

I haven't tried running a 1.8 tire on there, but I'm not sure why I would. I haven't run anything less than a 2.1 in years.

Wide Rim fans -- what "Rounded" Profile Tires to minimize squared-profile eff...

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I don't think there is an issue of wider rims degrading handling in any way. In fact, its quite the opposite in my experience with Derby's 40mm rims and from most of the other reviews. I don't really know or care whether the tire profile is more round or square on the wider rim or that I have had to adapt to riding them. Stick your favorite 2.1+ tire on there and they should perform great.

I haven't tried running a 1.8 tire on there, but I'm not sure why I would. I haven't run anything less than a 2.1 in years.
    It can. Too narrow a tire on too wide a rim can make the tire harsh and unresponsive to leaning into the corners, regardless of tread design.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Hey Shiggy have you had a chance to test the Chunky Monkey on a 35mm yet?

I know it is not going to be a huge difference from the 29mm Flow I am building but interested in your input, I ran a 36mm rim on my AM 26er for years and thought it kept down "tire squirm" when running low pressure.
    No.
    mtbtires.com

nvphatty
    No.
    give it a go and report back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here is a photo of my "squared" 2.35 racing ralph on a Derby 29er rim....

Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    looks fairly good to me but then riding it may be another animal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    (Edit)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Use wider tires.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for more float from the added volume, with the increased sidewall support.
    In terms of specific products,Tires I'm tempted by are-

REAR: Ikon 2.35, Spec renegade 2.3, Schwalbe RoRo 2.35 (wish they'd do RaRa 26x2.4), Slant six 2.35, etc?
    FRONT: mostly same, but slightly tempted by just a little more grip with not much more resistance: Ardent 2.4? HansD 2.35? Etc???

RIMS: Derby 26"-to-be!, Blunt 35, Dually

I measure 3" exactly between both stays on my '12 Blur XC... so whatever I can shoehorn in there! (Dirt Wizard 2.75???)

I've been running WTB 2.4 mutano's (26er) for several years - and I'd like to bump up the volume and float a bit while keeping the medium-low knob profile. And tho I'm kind of on the full-suss wagon these days I still lust for the sensation of buoyancy and bounce at the Tire/Trail interface, much more so than within the frame. (on that note I'm tempted to see what I could squeeze into a C-Dale Scalpel, but I hear their stays are just 2.75" wide. Very interested to see what comes of softtail fatbikes that I can Mid-fatt-ify... Ok that's enough borderline rambling - just trying to give some background of my query

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It can. Too narrow a tire on too wide a rim can make the tire harsh and unresponsive to leaning into the corners, regardless of tread design.
    I remember reading some comments to this effect, and I'm very curious in which sense(s) you mean "harsh"? As in, when leaning it breaks free more suddenly/unpredictably? Or tracks more vaguely? Or other? TIA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post

Nice! How you digging the handling?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    looks fairly good to me but then riding it may be another animal.
    Nice! How you digging the handling?
    Only two rides on them so far (about 25 miles each) on single track. Since im still playing with air pressures and the wheels were built for a new bike, I havent posted a review.. but even only with two rides, the traction is unbelievable, and my trails are very tight twisty single track.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Guitar Ted did several reviews of the Geax Gato on 35mm wide rims and mentioned their rounded profile even on the wide rim. I'm going to give them a shot on Velocity Blunt 35's this year.

Top Ten 29"er Products of 2011: Geax Gato TNT 29"er Tires

mtbr member
    Right now I have a Fat Albert 2.4 and a Trailking 2.4 on 32mm wide rims and they arent squared out IMHO but its been awhile since I've ridden a narrow rim. I am patiently waiting on my Blunt35's to show up.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

I remember reading some comments to this effect, and I'm very curious in which sense(s) you mean "harsh"? As in, when leaning it breaks free more suddenly/unpredictably? Or tracks more vaguely? Or other? TIA!
    Harsh as in noncompliant. Feel every edge/lip in the trail, even at lower pressures.

Unresponsive as in not wanting to change direction or lean easily.

Dead as in no springiness or easy feel that goes through the whole bike.
    mtbtires.com

Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for more float from the added volume, with the increased sidewall support.
    In terms of specific products,Tires I'm tempted by are-

REAR: Ikon 2.35, Spec renegade 2.3, Schwalbe RoRo 2.35 (wish they'd do RaRa 26x2.4), Slant six 2.35, etc?
    FRONT: mostly same, but slightly tempted by just a little more grip with not much more resistance: Ardent 2.4? HansD 2.35? Etc???

RIMS: Derby 26"-to-be!, Blunt 35, Dually

I measure 3" exactly between both stays on my '12 Blur XC... so whatever I can shoehorn in there! (Dirt Wizard 2.75???)

I've been running WTB 2.4 mutano's (26er) for several years - and I'd like to bump up the volume and float a bit while keeping the medium-low knob profile. And tho I'm kind of on the full-suss wagon these days I still lust for the sensation of buoyancy and bounce at the Tire/Trail interface, much more so than within the frame. (on that note I'm tempted to see what I could squeeze into a C-Dale Scalpel, but I hear their stays are just 2.75" wide. Very interested to see what comes of softtail fatbikes that I can Mid-fatt-ify... Ok that's enough borderline rambling - just trying to give some background of my query
    All of those tires would do fine on the wider rims, though the Dually will be borderline.

You will get more ground flotation, but that is not the same thing as butt flotation. I get more "cush" using a moderate width rim as it lets the sidewall flex more, which you feel through the bike.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Harsh as in noncompliant. Feel every edge/lip in the trail, even at lower pressures.

Unresponsive as in not wanting to change direction or lean easily.

Dead as in no springiness or easy feel that goes through the whole bike.
    Ugghh... those are exactly the opposite of the characteristics I'm looking to enhance/amplify!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    All of those tires would do fine on the wider rims, though the Dually will be borderline.

You will get more ground flotation, but that is not the same thing as butt flotation. I get more "cush" using a moderate width rim as it lets the sidewall flex more, which you feel through the bike.
    Thanks all, the nuances and specificity of your replies are much appreciated.

Even on the Blur I still appreciate the tire cush that translates through the saddle; although I'm even more interested in that feeling at the cranks/pedals, in two ways -- 1) in terms of tire compression/spring for bunnyhop-type maneuvers, and 2) the compliance to terrain & trail "texture" for handling, traction, and the simple, sweet sensation of Feeling those tires working that ground.

If I'm interpreting your above comments right it, then on a Derby (40 OD/ 34 ID) or Blunt-35 rim it sounds like the biggest-volume tire I can fit in my frame/fork without rubbing/bottoming (2.35" - 2.75") will give the best compliance, responsiveness, and spring?

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried the Continental Trail Kings on the Derby rims?

SVO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    No, but running X-Kings on P35s for a year- fantastic combo.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.4 Trail Kings on 26" Derby Rims. The only place I've ridden them, was at Coast Gravity Park. It was the virgin ride on the rims. Wow, what a difference. The tires seat up tubeless with no problem. I'm ran 20 psi in the back and 17 psi in the front. Lots of steep, rooty, terrain with no burping. My bike felt like it had an inch more travel. Anyway, I'm real happy with the tire, rim combo. You can see them on my bike, It"s the middle one.
    Wide Rim fans -- what "Rounded" Profile Tires to minimize squared-profile effect??-1799071_10204171566142086_4203420359465044489_o.jpg

mtbr member
    The Trail King 2.2's were one of my favorite tires on a 26" light bikes rims. Tried the 2.2/27.5 on my Derby rims and hated them. The tread area was too narrow so the side knobs were more in the center of the contact patch. I switched to 2.3 WTB Vigilantes and they are great.

turtles make me hot
    I have 35mm Blunts on one of my 29ers. I have a 2.3 Ground Control S works on the front and a 2.2 Geax Saguaro on the rear. Both tires rounded up nice and feel better than when I had the exact same combo on 30mm rims.
    I like turtles

meow meow
    not super wide by todays standards but I'm loving 2.2 xr3s on bontrager lines. the tires get a nice profile, no square but not bulbus.

mtbr member
    What about Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1" tires on 26" Derby 40mm rims? I used to really like that tire and you can still get them pretty cheap. Do you think its to narrow?

mtbr member
    Only way to know is mount 1 up. Personally I'd try it, I've run 2.1's on 28mm internal rims and 2.2's on my 30mm internal rim's. Worst comes to worst there's a lot of rim overhang and you wasted a few bucks. I don't run carbon hoops so not sure how much rim is exposed.

TBH I used to like that tire back in the day. I've seen them pop up cheap as well. If it wasn't for the stack of tires I already have I'd probably give them a go again.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep: