Who makes some quality cup and cone bearings?- Mtbr.com
    the catalan connection

Who makes some quality cup and cone bearings?

Besides shimano? Who actually makes some nice quality cup and cone bearings nowadays?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    Besides shimano? Who actually makes some nice quality cup and cone bearings nowadays?
    Are you just asking about the bearings or the entire hub. You can get grade 25 steel or grade 10 or 5 ceramic bearings from here

Bearing Balls:Ceramic,Miniature Ball Bearings

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i just replaced mine with vxb G10 bearings that i got on amazon. G10 spec bearings have tighter tolerances than G25s. (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_(bearing) )

For Shimano stuff, Front is usually 3/16": 100 3/16 inch Diameter Chrome Steel Bearing Balls G10 Ball Bearings VXB Brand: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Rear is usually 1/4": 100 1/4 inch Diameter Chrome Steel Bearing Balls G10 Ball Bearings VXB Brand: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

mtbr member
    Wow... I paid more for G25 bearings from vxb a couple years ago, the prices really dropped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    are ceremics any better than steel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullCircling View Post
    are ceremics any better than steel?
    Given the races on the best Shimano hubs are polished to no smoother than Grade 25 and not as hard as ceramic bearings, there is no real advantage to in Shimano hubs.They would be a hair lighter and possibly have minuscule (ie not measurable) friction reduction, but I've had Grade 25 steel bearings last me many years with annual clean and greasing and spin forever in the work stand.

the catalan connection
    I was asking for complete hubs, but this links you posted are useful too. I might buy some of those.
    Thanks guys!
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    I was asking for complete hubs, but this links you posted are useful too. I might buy some of those.
    Thanks guys!
    Nobody really makes cup and cone hubs as nice as the high level Shimano hubs anymore. The SRAM 506 are Deore level and would probably be about as good as it gets.

SRAM 506 Hub | SRAM

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Given the races on the best Shimano hubs are polished to no smoother than Grade 25 and not as hard as ceramic bearings, there is no real advantage to in Shimano hubs.They would be a hair lighter and possibly have minuscule (ie not measurable) friction reduction, but I've had Grade 25 steel bearings last me many years with annual clean and greasing and spin forever in the work stand.

U know if the "borazon" shimanos are better and what the difference is? Is it a coating or the coating of the tool cutting them?

BTW why did you change name?

whatnson
    I think there are only shimano that makes cupncone today, or maybe campy too. I think it takes considerably more skill to do a cup and cone hub well, since there are cups and cones that needs to be machined and ground and hardened and such. While cart hubs only have to have flat sides or 90degrees where the bearings goes, and a tolerance. Any fool with a cnc machine can pump out those all day long. And if the bearings break or are crap its not your fault.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    U know if the "borazon" shimanos are better and what the difference is? Is it a coating or the coating of the tool cutting them?

whatnson
    I think there are only shimano that makes cupncone today, or maybe campy too. I think it takes considerably more skill to do a cup and cone hub well, since there are cups and cones that needs to be machined and ground and hardened and such. While cart hubs only have to have flat sides or 90degrees where the bearings goes, and a tolerance. Any fool with a cnc machine can pump out those all day long. And if the bearings break or are crap its not your fault.
    Yep. I just hope shimano keeps making them for a long time becouse I'm a true fan of cup and cone bearings. Fully serviceable, adjustable to desire preload, better suited for side-like loads.I like that. I guess cartridge bearings can' t be bad either. Top quality brands are using them, so they might have some point, which I don't see, but guess is there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Fulcrum uses cup and cone on at least some of their wheels. I've been very happy with mine.

edit: it's just on two wheelsets Red Carbon XRP and Red Metal Zero XRP 6-bolt (apparently Centerlock is cart. bearings).

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/system/...F-ROAD_ENG.pdf

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yep. I just hope shimano keeps making them for a long time becouse I'm a true fan of cup and cone bearings. Fully serviceable, adjustable to desire preload, better suited for side-like loads.I like that. I guess cartridge bearings can' t be bad either. Top quality brands are using them, so they might have some point, which I don't see, but guess is there.

I think one of the bearings on my rear true precision hub is bigger than my whole slx rear hub outer diameter. Maybe it isn't, but its not far from it, if not true.

But I guess so too in general regarding cup n cone, been running slx for at least a year and lower grade shimano for at least 4-5 and before that xt/xtr for like 10 years. And I have to say I never ever serviced the old hubs ever! And the new ones I serviced when I got them. I'm running a one year program here. That is I don't touch it until one year. And that will probably continue for a few years. I have hubs that cost several hundred dollars but that don't mean jack. If I was cycling across antarctica and nepal or whatever for a few months, then I would opt for shimano, which I packed myself.

The other **** might be working better if not in need but I just dont trust it. I have true precision, and those are very well made, but still I trust shimano more, go figure, maybe I even build them up this winter, who knows.

The tp are unreal to be honest, you should see the machining on those, my ****ing god! And really really instant engagement. I can't even figure out how they made some of the machining, and I know this stuff, to say the least. I'm very happy with this choice. Buuuut they are the most expensive hub you can buy on the market, they are no budget bombs or anything like that at all, they are ultra expensive but you get value for that money, no ****, but still its a lot of dough, I would never ever get kings for this money, or i9, I just feel these are $1-200 hubs and thats it really. And they sound a lot too.

When you lift a tp you immediately know this is serious business, for the first time. And when you feel it, you think everything is just retarded or stone age tech. But it cost a nice chunk too. So you should be feeling that, and you do.

I'm not rtying to plug tp or anthything but yeah i like those and shimano. prfeferably the "old style" shimanos (slx), maybe its time to stockpile.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post

Borazon is a very hard surface so yes, it would be extremely resistant to wear. One of the reasons Shimano cup and cone hubs last so long with regular maintenance. I have a set of Ultegra hubs that are still going strong after a solid 11 years of use (with the original Grade 25 bearings!). They've outlived one freehub body so far, just regular service is all it has taken.

As far as the name change...new job, new house, new life (after several years of illness). Change is good

Members who have read this thread: 1