mtbr member

Who makes serious ice tires?

I've got studded tires but need something with a lot more purchase for riding on steep ice. I know it's possible to make these using sheet metal screws but I'm hoping someone is selling them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nokian used to not sure if they still but I did come across this article maybe it will be of some help. https://www.icebike.org/the-ultimate...studded-tires/

mtbr member
    May 2008

turtles make me hot
    What size? 45Nrth makes some.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    You'all misunderstand. I have studded tires. I want to buy tires with long, sharp screws sticking out, like this:

Who makes serious ice tires?-homemade-studded-tires-screws.jpg

There used to be a guy in Vermont that made and sold them to local bike stores. I wore mine down to dust and need another pair.

turtles make me hot
    Ace Hardware.
    I like turtles

Barely in control
    Pay a highschool kid to make them for you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    On true glare ice, those long screws just fold over and rip the tire up. True studs don't poke out as far and work far better on real ice. It's also about the tire compound and the width, studs don't make up for those things and sometimes they are more necessary, just depends on conditions.

Who makes serious ice tires?-g0099945.jpgWho makes serious ice tires?-g0099924.jpgWho makes serious ice tires?-g0099873.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm glad you are happy with studded tires. I use mine for flat trails and roads.

I've grown to enjoy riding on steep ice with these aggressive tires. Places where you have to wear crampons if you ever take your feet off the pedals.

BTW, these need full tire pressure to be effective.

I guess I'll need to make a pair myself. Need to find a set of really knobby tires, like the Fisher Fattrax that are the basis of my old pair. Then drive a screw into each knob.

EAT MORE GRIME
    OP

every tire with huge spikes is custom built in a garage somewhere

no one sells spikes retail, just studs. maybe some out there will do you a one-off and you can buy them, but nothing 'production' as the demand for these is rare
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    guess ice spiker pros which run on ice like velco are shit?

Sheet metal screws wear... like you said.

Been on flooded ice with my studded gnarwhals and they had no problems at 6-7psi. Spiker pros grip better than gnarwhals on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Barely in control
    I'm sure it would be fun riding up some icy hill then falling over and sliding aaaaaaaaaaall the way to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Yea, traction is astounding but falling is a problem. Don't ride near cliffs, or else have some way to self arrest.

I've always managed to dab a foot with crampons on. I guess on a long slide I'd probably try and hold onto the bike, maybe get one of the pedals to dig in. If I was doing this more seriously, I'd figure out some better way, maybe carry a small ice axe.

Yea, the screws do get dull with time, more so on the centerline than the edges.
    Who makes serious ice tires?-2019-02-11-11.24.12.jpg
    Last edited by geardoc; 1 Week Ago at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    guess ice spiker pros which run on ice like velco are shit?

Sheet metal screws wear... like you said.

Been on flooded ice with my studded gnarwhals and they had no problems at 6-7psi. Spiker pros grip better than gnarwhals on ice.
    I have Ice Spiker Pro Evos and they're great (haven't lost a single stud), but over a certain grade you will just spin them. They hold in place fine though so you won't fall over if you spin out.

Whenever I put a foot down or fall it tends to be into snow off the trail. When you slide it tends to be when descending. Hurts less than falling on dirt in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Expensive proposition. Looks like it'd be about $600 to do a set of tires having over 300 studs per tire. But, it would likely be lighter weight than using screws.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    Yea, traction is astounding but falling is a problem. Don't ride near cliffs, or else have some way to self arrest.

I've always managed to dab a foot with crampons on. I guess on a long slide I'd probably try and hold onto the bike, maybe get one of the pedals to dig in. If I was doing this more seriously, I'd figure out some better way, maybe carry a small ice axe.
    Riding off road on a super slippery surface with an ice axe ready to go at a moment's notice. What could go wrong there? You may want to rethink that direction.

Live Free & Ride
    These will not spin out on hills/grades, are heavier and more time to install,
    but work really silly good!

$19 for 3/8 inch...
    https://www.motorcycleid.com/kold-ku...CABEgIEefD_BwE

...just make sure you have a good meaty tread tire. Either grind the inside down or run em tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who makes serious ice tires?-2019-01-09-16.36.20.jpg  

Who makes serious ice tires?-2019-01-09-16.37.09.jpg  

Who makes serious ice tires?-2019-01-27-14.36.26.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    Expensive proposition. Looks like it'd be about $600 to do a set of tires having over 300 studs per tire. But, it would likely be lighter weight than using screws.
    You might need fewer studs than you think. In the right tire, DIY screw-in gripstuds have a higher profile and more bite than commercial studded tires that use a stud pocket. I had good results with 150f/75r, but eventually added 25 more to the rear tire. I could climb fairly steep ice just fine with that combo. Definitely know what you mean by needing crampons when you stop. Tires were Surly Nate (front) and On One Floater (rear).
    Veni vidi velo!