Who has a truly large 26 x 2.4 tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Who has a truly large 26 x 2.4 tire?

This is the magic number for me, 26 x 2.4. Manufacturer charts show my 21mm ID rim is approved for a 2.4 tire. 2.4 is also the largest which will fit my cross country frame, front and back. My good fortune was to find a Panaracer Swoop AllTrail non-tubeless which was a true 2.4. Light enough for cross country, and sealing well on a TLR rim. So I bought another, it was labeled 2.4 but was significantly smaller, like a 2.2. And the Continental Mountain King protection 26 x 2.4 I just bought is also smaller than the original AllTrail, again closer to 2.2. Who has a truly large 2.4? It's too expensive buying these things remote without knowing what the actual size is, and the few local shops left here do not carry them. Thank you for your reply!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My WTB Wolverine 2.2 is slightly bigger than the Mountain King 2.4. The Mountain King ETRTO is 60-559, but in caliper measured size is less than 56-559. The original Panaracer Swoop AllTrail is also marked 60-559 and actually measures out to that size, near 60mm. So far I've only been lucky to find the big Panaracer.

mtbr member
    I have Kenda Nevegals on my old 26" XC bike, which also maxes at 2.4". The Nevegals are 2.35's, and measure just a tiny bit over that (2.38") at the outer knobs when new on Mavic 21mm wheels. This combo is the closest to 2.4 I've been able to get to without going over.

Specifically, I measure 2.38" using Nevegal Pro's, not the X Pro's. The 2.35 X Pro's measure 2.24". If you're not familiar with the Nevegals, the Pro's are more trail orientated, the X Pro's more XC orientated.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Co Springs
    I've got Hans Dampf 26" on an old Kona that may be 2.4
    Can't go look at the moment but I wanted what would still fit and go big.
    At the time, Jenson had them at $9.99

I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    but some won't get it .

mtbr member
    Vittoria/Geax Goma 26x2.4 is a very high volume tire. Though it's recently been discontinued, there are still plenty available from resellers right now.

It rolls quite fast for the amount of grip it has, but it's very heavy. 1100g or something like that.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt want a true 2.4 on a 21mm rim. While it physically fits and its technically safe, it rides poorly.

A 2.35 hans dampf measures larger than 2.4.

A 2.4 tire is "approved" for a 21mm rim in the same way that 40+psi is "approved" for that size. Sure, but it works terrible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Point taken re: 21mm for 60mm tire as there is an optimal shape. But rims can be very expensive; in fact that huge Swoop is mounted to a WTB i25 frequency on the front that I just built from a $20 fire sale, normally an $80 rim. It also worked well on a NOS Syncros Big Box 21mm that cost $15, tho not as well as on the 23mm ID i25. The Big Box is a rim brake model that has a deep/square section so it holds as much air as wide disc only rims. Thank you very much for offering suggestions, I'll look for Vittoria/Geax Goma, Hans Dampf and Kenda Nevegals.

Barely in control
    Hans Dampf Pacestar (old version)
    Vittoria Morsa 2.3 (actually 2.4)
    Vittoria Goma 2.4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Hans Dampf Pacestar (old version)
    Is the new version not enormous anymore? Mine actually measured 2.47 on a 27mm rim.

Maxxis cult follower
    My CST Rock Hawk 26 x 2.4 measures 2.35 inches wide. No tire I've had over 2.0 inches has (so far) ever measured exactly the same or more than what it says on the side of the tire. Most of the 2.1 to 2.5's measure 0.5 inches less than advertised, so that's pretty normal I guess. It's when you get into 2.6 and above that there starts to really be a difference in actual size.

Keep in mind that the CST 2.4 is heavy and not tubeless ready.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Ikon 2.35 gets pretty girthy, I believe it some have stated it's like a 2.45-2.5.
    Pedal through it!

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Is the new version not enormous anymore? Mine actually measured 2.47 on a 27mm rim.
    I don't know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    This is really neat getting leads on the truly large 26 tires, like the ikon and CST! What got me started down this trail was excellent traction, cornering, on SoCal dusty rubble on hard pack - great ride quality from this fluke Swoop tire that from the factory really measures 60mm just like it says on the side of the tire. Continental support just replied that there is a 2-4mm production variance, and that the tire may stretch to 60mm printed on the side than the 57mm wide, 54mm tall Mountain King Protection that it measures now. But off the hanger, it is much smaller than the Panaracer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    The Ikon 2.35 gets pretty girthy, I believe it some have stated it's like a 2.45-2.5.
    it is getting pretty hard to find the Ikon 26x2.35 3C EXO TR any more. it is decent volume and a good choice for hardpack & xc.

it's nothing like a Hans Dampf 26x2.35 or Goma 26x2.4, though.