mtbr member

Where can I get a Micro Spline rear hub?

Iím about to build some wheels in anticipation of XTR 12 availability. Iíve not been able to find micro spline hubs; ideally DT 350 Boost, J-bend/6 bolt would be my pick.

I know both DT and I9 have MicroSpline free hub bodies for separate purchase, but would obviously rather just get the right hub complete. Anyone know where I could find these?

damned rocks...
    I'm not finding the 350, but I see the 240s on Bike24 for 250Ä.

mtbr member
    The fhb is available separately for $55-95, depending on where you look.

Imo, half the draw of the group is the xtr hub. Id feel shorted running a dt hub with the new xtr.

Barely in control
    Well the Scylence hub was cancelled so...

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Well the Scylence hub was cancelled so...
    I was planning on building a new set of wheels with them and convert my 350 to micro spline, but I'm holding off until they are available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I was planning on building a new set of wheels with them and convert my 350 to micro spline, but I'm holding off until they are available.
    Are you talking about the microspline driver for dt hubs or the xtr scylence hubs? The dt microspline driver is available now and the scylence hub wont be available for years, if ever.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have several DT Swiss 240s rear hubs with Microspline freehub. PM me for pricing.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Are you talking about the microspline driver for dt hubs or the xtr scylence hubs? The dt microspline driver is available now and the scylence hub wont be available for years, if ever.
    For the XTR.
    I have no interest in the microspline for now, the hubs is what I want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    For the XTR.
    I have no interest in the microspline for now, the hubs is what I want.
    I was interested in the silent hub too, and wouldíve gotten one if available. Although, here in the Seattle area there are enough people on the trails that I find an I9 hub to be a good early warning system. People let you by when they hear the swarm-of-angry-robot-bees roll up on their tail.

My understanding is that the Scylence hub ainít happening any time soon, so looking for other options.

mtbr member
    Holy crap, I had no idea! I remember seeing the XTR and non-series hubs for sale about a month ago? The non-series was under 200 bucks too. Just googling around, I don't see anything more definitive about them coming back.

Was it a legal setback, or reliability? Reliability issues can be fixed, I hope its not some legal patent garbage thats going to hold it up forever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Holy crap, I had no idea! I remember seeing the XTR and non-series hubs for sale about a month ago? The non-series was under 200 bucks too. Just googling around, I don't see anything more definitive about them coming back.

Was it a legal setback, or reliability? Reliability issues can be fixed, I hope its not some legal patent garbage thats going to hold it up forever.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shiman...available.html

Barely in control
    The MT900 was "for sale" but never in stock.

mtbr member

Yeah not totally clear what the problem was but looks like theyíre going to release a non-silent XTR branded hub instead.

This makes me even more baffled at Shimanoís decision to severely limit who can license the MicroSpline design. With a new standard seems like theyíd want to get it on as many bikes as possible, but for now at least itíll be only DT and I9. Perhaps by the time 12 speed XT shows up and gets significant OEM placement that will have changed.

mtbr member
    Shimano has always been on the conservative side. My guess is they dont want lower tier manufacturers making shimano liscensed stuff because the quality gets questionable. Dt and i9 are known to be extremely high quality and the type of people with xtr 12 speed money should have no problem buying a new high end hub. Shimano seems to care more about extreme high quality than getting it on as many bikes as possible. Anyway, just my $0.02
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mbtr member

Imo, half the draw of the group is the xtr hub. Id feel shorted running a dt hub with the new xtr.
    Shimano made freehubs that i'd pop within a season for like 15 years. For some reason i'd keep going back, i musta bought 6 of them by now. I'm pretty excited about their new hub, but i'm not eager to be the guinea pig. DT, on the other hand... bring it on!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Barely in control
    They've always stuffed the ratchet mech inside the freehub so the force on each ratchet had to be at least double that of a design where the pawls were in the hub shell. That also made them quiet. Going to a more reliable mech in the hub shell was always going to make it louder, so I guess their solution was going to be Scylence.

mtbr member
    It's kind of a dt Swiss/king knockoff. Sort of. I know everyone was cracking Shimano fhb's for years now, I was hoping this was going to be their return to the top with a solid design.

I've always loved those bigass butter smooth bearings! A lightweight Shimano with moderately high engagement and reliability had me drooling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I read/listened(?) to some interview of an engineer from Chris King. He was pretty adamant there was high potential for drag being created with the new XTR hub. He said that any system that is designed to keep it perfectly quite would also create drag to keep the drive rings separated. I can kind of see that with the new XTR hubs but also wondering if there is a legal battle between Chris King and Shimano with this new hub? Seems odd that CK does not offer a microspline FHB for their hubs. CK does already offer the new SRAM AXS FHB...interesting.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    CK does already offer the new SRAM AXS FHB...interesting.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Wait does AXS include a new freehub standard? Pretty sure it's just and XD driver like all their other 12 speed stuff. Shimano has been tight-fisted with the MicroSpline licensing. Given how long it took CK to make an XD driver (which is open source I think) I'd say it could be some time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Wait does AXS include a new freehub standard? Pretty sure it's just and XD driver like all their other 12 speed stuff. Shimano has been tight-fisted with the MicroSpline licensing. Given how long it took CK to make an XD driver (which is open source I think) I'd say it could be some time.
    Sorry...yup, just the XD driver but CK is advertising AXS fits their hubs. CK will probably take a while for the microspline FHB.

I bought my microspline FHB from bike-discount out of Germany a couple months ago. I am growing tired of waiting for the XTR chain rings.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    It's kind of a dt Swiss/king knockoff. Sort of. I know everyone was cracking Shimano fhb's for years now, I was hoping this was going to be their return to the top with a solid design.

I've always loved those bigass butter smooth bearings! A lightweight Shimano with moderately high engagement and reliability had me drooling.
    When the Scylence cancellation news came out, it sounded like it was just the silent part that they gave up on, the high engagement drive ring part of the design will make it to the new hubs.

mtbr member
    I read/listened(?) to some interview of an engineer from Chris King. He was pretty adamant there was high potential for drag being created with the new XTR hub. He said that any system that is designed to keep it perfectly quite would also create drag to keep the drive rings separated.
    Chris King engineers should step back from any conversations about drag. I wonder what he thinks about Onyx hubs? They are silent with way less friction than a King hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I read/listened(?) to some interview of an engineer from Chris King. He was pretty adamant there was high potential for drag being created with the new XTR hub. He said that any system that is designed to keep it perfectly quite would also create drag to keep the drive rings separated. I can kind of see that with the new XTR hubs but also wondering if there is a legal battle between Chris King and Shimano with this new hub? Seems odd that CK does not offer a microspline FHB for their hubs. CK does already offer the new SRAM AXS FHB...interesting.

Cheers,
    Mike
    CK stated on social media a couple weeks back that Shimano hasnít licensed any non oem supplier a license to make their microspline driver. According to them, i9 is an OEM and theyíre licensed and White Industries does not have a license. CK said they have the driver ready to go.

mtbr member
    I'm sure everyone will have a driver once the group trickles down past xtr.

This place needs an enema
    I read/listened(?) to some interview of an engineer from Chris King. He was pretty adamant there was high potential for drag being created with the new XTR hub. He said that any system that is designed to keep it perfectly quite would also create drag
    He oughta step outside his cave every now and again, at least long enough to familiarize himself with what Onyx is doing. Dead silent, fastest engagement on the planet, and less free-running drag than pretty much any other hub on the market.