Wheels for semivintage Litespeed Obed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Wheels for semivintage Litespeed Obed?

What's your suggestion for replacing wheels or rims on my 1999 Obed?

I recently pulled this bike off its rack for the first time in five or six years. Took everything apart, and cleaned and lubed everything that could be, and put on a fresh set of cables and housings, a chain, new city tires, and new brake shoe inserts. But, now there's the issue...

The wheels are 21 years old. XT hubs, 9-speed rear, Mavic X517 rims. However, after years of humid/salty conditions (the bike lives under a roof, but not inside a climate controlled area), the rims are showing corrosion on the braking surfaces. Further, when trying to do a quick true on the wheels, I find that many of the nipples are done for. One even cracked in half when I attempted to turn it.

Rather than go the multi grit sandpaper route, I think I'd rather either buy good condition vintage rimbrake wheels that will take the cassette, or buy new/NOS rimbrake rims that I can get built on my current hubs. Even if I could hand-finish the braking surfaces, it would still require a rebuild to get rid of the old nipples and spokes and get them in true again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheels for semivintage Litespeed Obed?-obed.jpg  

This place needs an enema
    The corrosion on the rims will wear off with use.

The nips -- yeah. Time to replace.

I'd do a lap through your regional craisglist offerings and see what you can turn up. If nothing, then re-lace your current hoops with fresh hubs. spokes, and nips.