Wheel suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Wheel suggestions

Hello: I have a 97' Schwinn Homegrown Factory FS and the wheels are original. I haven't ridden as much as I would have liked, but I imagine because they are "rim brakes" that I will likely need a new set soon. To give you an idea, I just replaced my first set of pads. I'm sure the conditions are more of a factor than the number of sets of pads you go through.
    Plus they are the stock rims, so I could possibly shave some weight and benefit from that.

I want an "alloy rim" and defnitely want front and rear hubs that are trail worthy.
    I cannot install "disc brakes" on my bike because the rear swingarm doesn't have any provision for mounting a rear caliper. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they don't have anything.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Just Ride !
    Click on the BWW sponsor link and browse.
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    You can run a disc brake on the front wheel with the right fork. Your front brake is for stopping so this would be a good move to do. The rear brake is for control, so you are fine with that being a v-brake. I have seen this set-up many times. Get a bb7 for $50 and it should work with your current v-brake levers.

Also you can always get Rim brake and disc brake compatible wheels. This might save you some head ache in the future if something happens to your frame and you need to switch all your components over to new frame.

How much are you looking at spending on a set of wheels?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was quoted $350 for an alloy wheelset at the dealer, so If I can add a disc and get a decent set of wheels I am open to spending a little more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How do I determine which size rotor to purchase with the BB7?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    How much do yo weigh and how much are you going downhill?
    Where I am from the local trails are no more then a mile of downhill at any given point. Not enough time to heat up a 185mm for a guy 160lbs or less. I have a bike with 160mm and one with 180mm and can not tell the difference in stopping power. I can only tell the difference on downhills that require a lot of braking and last for more then a mile. 160mm will be lighter but it wont hurt to have a 180mm or 185mm up front either, unless you are really concerned about weight. Most companies sell 180mm rotors. Avid is different and do 185mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    How much do yo weigh and how much are you going downhill?
    Where I am from the local trails are no more then a mile of downhill at any given point. Not enough time to heat up a 185mm for a guy 160lbs or less. I have a bike with 160mm and one with 180mm and can not tell the difference in stopping power. I can only tell the difference on downhills that require a lot of braking and last for more then a mile. 160mm will be lighter but it wont hurt to have a 180mm or 185mm up front either, unless you are really concerned about weight. Most companies sell 180mm rotors. Avid is different and do 185mm.
    Downhills are generally short. I think the longest I've ever been on may be 1/3mile up at the Jordan River Pathway. So, mostly flat singletrack with roots, rocks, etc... I am ~180lbs

I don't think I will heat up a 160mm? If I did, I could always replace with a 185mm right or wrong?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Sounds like you will be fine with a 160mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    delete

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sounds like you will be fine with a 160mm.
    I was thinking the same. They are having a phenominal sale on the first set you suggested. Especially for "non-disk." They are 50% off or about $223.00 plus tax and shipping of course. I am still very interested in having the front disk though. I e-mailed them to see how much the set would be if I had a disc hub put on the front wheel? Waiting for a reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I tried to call BWW and sent a couple of e-mails yesterday, but no response??? Hopefully I'll hear something today...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been trying to contact someone at BWW and no success at all. Is there another way to contact them?
    I've e-mailed and called with no luck whatsoever.

thanks

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I do not think so . I have heard they can be bad about getting back to you on things and I have heard that they are awesome at it. Check out this recent http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...00-746543.html

It seems they might be bad with communication at times but are still good at getting you a great product for a great deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I do not think so . I have heard they can be bad about getting back to you on things and I have heard that they are awesome at it. Check out this recent http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...00-746543.html

It seems they might be bad with communication at times but are still good at getting you a great product for a great deal.
    I want to do what you have suggested with buying one wheel set up for front disk, and the rear setup for rear rim brake. If nothing else, I could just leave my brakes as is and just pick up the XC717b rim brakes, but I'd reallyl like to try the setup you mentioned with the BB7 brakes up front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Funny part is they are the sponsor for this segment of the forum???

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Mavic XC717 V-brake - XT 775

Check out the discription again. They should be both v-brake and disc brake compatible, bith front and back so you can set them up how you want to. Only thing you would need to get extra might be a center lock to 6bolt adapter.

Alligator Center Lock Adapter at Price Point

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes, but it says "Depending on Hub selection". Can I order Disk Hubs and use them for Non Disk Brakes???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Mavic XC717 V-brake - XT 775

Check out the discription again. They should be both v-brake and disc brake compatible, bith front and back so you can set them up how you want to. Only thing you would need to get extra might be a center lock to 6bolt adapter.

Alligator Center Lock Adapter at Price Point
    Alright, I believe I see what you're saying. The hubs are disk hubs. Missed that because of the verbage. The front would be all set, but I'm worried about the rear. Will a disk hub be a problem? It's just a matter of having the provision to use a disk or not right?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    As far as I can tell the Shimano M775 hubs only comes in disc brake format. You will be fine using them with v-brakes or disc. I have swapped a similar pair between disc and rim brakes with out any problems.

If anyone else out there wants to chime in with a better deal or see some issues with my suggestion, Please do. But as far I as can tell this looks like your best bet. I do wish though that BWW would reply back to your emails. That would be nice of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Hope

As far as I can tell the Shimano M775 hubs only comes in disc brake format. You will be fine using them with v-brakes or disc. I have swapped a similar pair between disc and rim brakes with out any problems.

If anyone else out there wants to chime in with a better deal or see some issues with my suggestion, Please do. But as far I as can tell this looks like your best bet. I do wish though that BWW would reply back to your emails. That would be nice of them.
    For all it's worth, I certainly appreciate your suggestions and they should appreciate that you are trying to bring them business. I wonder if it's because I'm inquiring about one of the wheelsets they are promoting, and they are so inexpensive. My brother will likely want a new set of wheels to convert to disk. His bike is capable. So, they are really controlling their own sales. I'd like to speak to them before I go out and make a purchase that is for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhosinski View Post
    Alright, I believe I see what you're saying. The hubs are disk hubs. Missed that because of the verbage. The front would be all set, but I'm worried about the rear. Will a disk hub be a problem? It's just a matter of having the provision to use a disk or not right?
    Ohh man, I see what you're saying. Sorry for the confusion. XT 775 are Shimano XT centerlock disc hubs, the Shimano 770 series are the same as the 775, but without the centerlock disc provision. The (super old) XT 756 are 6-bolt disc.

I'll have to sift through our emails. Sorry for the non-communication, we do that sometimes, unintentionally. We usually start the morning off with some coffee, emails, check phone messages, and general banter about news we read online. Then after a bit we shut our computers off. Else, I find that we keep becoming distracted with browsing/wasting time, and end up staying later everyday without merit. Sometime mid-day, basically lunch, we'll turn on the computers again to check emails again. Pretty bad for an internet company, I know, I know. But it's a fight against tech V natural human interest in web browsing/emails. It can be a major time sink.

In the summer time we try to basically man the phones, emails all day, no breaks. In the winter, not so much....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CFoster View Post
    Ohh man, I see what you're saying. Sorry for the confusion. XT 775 are Shimano XT centerlock disc hubs, the Shimano 770 series are the same as the 775, but without the centerlock disc provision. The (super old) XT 756 are 6-bolt disc.

I'll have to sift through our emails. Sorry for the non-communication, we do that sometimes, unintentionally. We usually start the morning off with some coffee, emails, check phone messages, and general banter about news we read online. Then after a bit we shut our computers off. Else, I find that we keep becoming distracted with browsing/wasting time, and end up staying later everyday without merit. Sometime mid-day, basically lunch, we'll turn on the computers again to check emails again. Pretty bad for an internet company, I know, I know. But it's a fight against tech V natural human interest in web browsing/emails. It can be a major time sink.

In the summer time we try to basically man the phones, emails all day, no breaks. In the winter, not so much....
    Do you have any time at all today to call me? I can wait until later that's all fine and well.
    I guess my biggest question is this. I'm getting all stoked about putting front disks on and maybe my better option is to get the VBrake specific with 8/9 speed hubs and just put the extra money into other things. Mostly maintenance, but I just want to make sure disk brakes are worth the added cost?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just wanted to chime in and tell everyone that Chris from BWW contacted me immediately after these posts and worked with me to understand what I was looking for and offered his suggestion. One week later the wheels were at my home and I can't wait to put them on!

Thank you Chris! and also thanks to Senor Strongbad for suggesting BWW

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Thats Great! I am glad that they came through for you. One of my good buddies just bought from them to after looking everywhere else and could not find as good of a deal. I know you will enjoy them. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thats Great! I am glad that they came through for you. One of my good buddies just bought from them to after looking everywhere else and could not find as good of a deal. I know you will enjoy them. Happy trails!
    If I could only find a place who has made up brackets for a "97' Schwinn Homegrown Factory LXT" then I could have rear disc as well. LOL

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    If I could only find a place who has made up brackets for a "97' Schwinn Homegrown Factory LXT" then I could have rear disc as well. LOL
    Check out the brake therapy conversion kit!

Brake Therapy Conversion Kit

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Check out the brake therapy conversion kit!

Brake Therapy Conversion Kit
    Hopefully they've done a conversion for it? I'll let you know
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hopefully they've done a conversion for it? I'll let you know
    Thanks!!
    I looked on their site last night to see if they have anything to fit my application. I need to measure the distance between "dropouts" and also verify that they are designed for 'XT' hubs. I have 6 bolt, but they don't have them listed as compatible?

Hopefully I will hear something from them today?