Wheel sets-Which one ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Wheel sets-Which one ?

Have a chance to build up a set of Mavic 823 rims with King hubs and DT Swiss spokes and nipples or buy a Mavic Deemax set. Not sure which way to go. Mavic 823 will be lighter, but Deemax will be about $250 cheaper. Currently running Mavic Crossmax XL's, which within the last 4 days, have broke 2 spokes and replaced the free hub, they were new in May, happy with weight but not with durability.

Any ideas out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you are breaking CrossMax XL spokes, it seems like you need to go with a beefier wheelset. If those are your only choices go with the DeeMax's.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    The 823 are beefier than the XLs. Certainly if price is an issue get the Deemax based on your current choices listed. However, I would MUCH rather have some Hope Bulbs with the 823 rims than the Deemax. Bulb hubs are killer and the best bang for the buck.

Bodhisattva
    At your size you should consider the Syncros 25 & 28 rims and I wouldn't go with any spoke thinner than 14/15.

I'm not surprised your mavic wheelset isn't holding up.

and tell the squad to stop using your wheels during agility drills

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the Kings (or Hadleys (my favorite) or Hugi FR or Hope). Mavic freehubs have been problematic, notice that they keep redesigning them every year (even on the Deemaxes). I'm not a fan of weird spoke lacing as on the Crossmaxes - looks cool but flexy and weak. Stick with a standard 32-spoke 3-cross build with double-butted spokes, and you'll have the best combo of strong, light, and easy-to-find replacement parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0