wheel sets- Mtbr.com

Thread: wheel sets

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

wheel sets

so im pretty new to all this. i just got a new giant trance x2 and gunna save up for new wheel set.. the lbs whats to sell a 1000 dollar set of mavics. i dont really know if they are best or just what they sell. lol my budget is 500-1000.. it will be mainly xc with some trips to lake tahoe.. im 220 now so they need to hold up.. any help would be awsome.

TXTony
    Stans Flow or Arch Rims..Hope Hubs or Chris King hubs...if your budget is 500-1000 dollars get a set of custom wheels built...not knocking Mavic...I have a set of Crossmax wheels and they are ok..have two sets of Stans Rims one laced to King and the other to I9s..compared to the Mavic..there is no comparison..got a buddy who has a set of Archs laced to Hope Hubs and he loves them..they seem to be quality hubs also and are a little less expensive then Kings or I9s..my next wheel build i am going to try out some Hope Hubs to replace the Crossmax wheels. The Stans System is easy to setup..at least I ahve had no issues with it..They are a decent weight and I have had no issues with them at all...

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Or you could save your money and ride the wheels that came with your brand new bike. Being fresh to the sport, it's doubtful you'll know the difference.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    Or you could save your money and ride the wheels that came with your brand new bike. Being fresh to the sport, it's doubtful you'll know the difference.
    seriously. just wait and find out what you would like out of a wheelset vs what your current one offers.

T.W.O.
    +1 on I9s but there's a short wait for those wheelset. I love them. Mavic is a nice strong wheel, not the lightest but good set.
    In your budget there are a lot of good choices, my preference would be strong, instant engagement 10 degree or less, option for hub conversion ie 9mm qr to 15 qr, 20mm similar goes to rear option. good color option.

Industry Nine set is a nice bling.
    Kings with your fav hoops
    Crank bros
    Easton sets are also pretty good.
    I have the first 3 including the Mavic Sl, slr (I was not impressed) they are great sets of wheel.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hadley Rear Hubs Rule the World

Mavic rear wheels are hindered greatly by their rear hub which is a pos for durability due to its plastic bushing the requires a new free hub body when it wears out. This happens regularly if you are the type that rides your be ike.
    Hadley hubs are arguably the most durable, not the heaviest and not the most expensive. Mixed with a strong rim and 32 spokes 3 cross/brass nipples and you are ready to rock.

But, I would wear out your stock wheels first if you can.

Spend the money on a bike trip to some place cool.

Cheers,

Kane

Tree Crasher
    Why do you need to replace your wheels? Been reading too many magazines? Save your money til you have some miles underfoot. Really.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop
    Why do you need to replace your wheels? Been reading too many magazines? Save your money til you have some miles underfoot. Really.
    Agreed. If you're truly new to the sport, beat on those rims you have awhile.
    And don't forget to tighten those spokes a little after your first real ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I plan on riding on them for awhile. I have to save up for the new set. Trying to drop rotational mass off the bike. just getting different thoughts on rims. You just never know if the lbs is selling the best or not. I'll keep on eye on this section. Then go from there.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Go with TX Tony's recommendations. I concur.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by tate1976
    I plan on riding on them for awhile. I have to save up for the new set. Trying to drop rotational mass off the bike. just getting different thoughts on rims. You just never know if the lbs is selling the best or not. I'll keep on eye on this section. Then go from there.
    makes sense. keep a "rainy day" jar for anything that goes. my guess is that you bb and chain and tires will give up the ghost before your wheels.

Members who have read this thread: 0